• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

NSESN

My point was, that any flashback didn't fit (no matter the length), since it was right between the punch, which killed the impact (like you said). There should have been a moment, where the flashback would have fit, a simple pause between his jump into the attack and the actual next punch, would have been better.
But it still feels unnecessary, since it didn't answer any question, which needed to be answered at that moment for the reader. It just misses the right dramatic background to make it work.

I disagree. It was certainly necessary, not in the right place, but it was a good and satisfatory flashback to me.

Meffer

My point was, that any flashback didn't fit (no matter the length), since it was right between the punch, which killed the impact (like you said). There should have been a moment, where the flashback would have fit, a simple pause between his jump into the attack and the actual next punch, would have been better.
But it still feels unnecessary, since it didn't answer any question, which needed to be answered at that moment for the reader. It just misses the right dramatic background to make it work.
One Piece did the same thing. During Chopper's arc when Lucy was about to land his first punch on main bad guy, there's an abrupt flashback of Chopper's origin and why he trains to be a doctor. It lasts for at least 5 chapters I believe.
I honestly think what MHA did was an homage to One Piece.

Hypron

Kirishima loves the manliest of men

200.gif

Nightbird

So I was just watching Misfits when I realized that this guy:

Is basically AfO if he were a neutral character instead of plain evil.

But I don't think he can use the powers he takes

But it made me think:

How different would the story have been if Af0 would have been an underground quirk trader instead of a villain. I think such a character would be interesting in the world of MHA, don't you think so?

Meffer

But it made me think:

How different would the story have been if Af0 would have been an underground quirk trader instead of a villain. I think such a character would be interesting in the world of MHA, don't you think so?

I suppose, maybe there is now. And I wouldn't put past AfO if he already did this before. I'm sure he gave Hands his disintegration quirk unbeknownst to Hands himself.

But it made me think:

He'd be an interesting character, but AfO is kind of central to the worldbuilding, so I dunno about a straight switch. World would be a very different place without the repercussions he's had.

Meffer

He'd be an interesting character, but AfO is kind of central to the worldbuilding, so I dunno about a straight switch. World would be a very different place without the repercussions he's had.

One for All wouldn't have come to be. All Might wouldn't be as he is now which means no Symbol of Peace and Deku would still be quirkless and a very sad person. Thinking that actually makes me upset.

Loved the chapter, and loved how Ashido is actually the role model for Kirishima (the real life one, Crimson riot is more of a "platonic" figure).

These characters are far too lovable.

Jintor

the only thing i'm not so into about this latest flashback, aside from the pacing weirdness of putting it after riot already did his sacrifice attack and we know it succeeded, is that so far riot and mina have had like barely any one-on-one interaction or even any real sense they knew each other much

the only thing i'm not so into about this latest flashback, aside from the pacing weirdness of putting it after riot already did his sacrifice attack and we know it succeeded, is that so far riot and mina have had like barely any one-on-one interaction or even any real sense they knew each other much

Still you could associate that to her not wanting to get in the way of the new kirishima, in the sense of not revealing the man he was before UA to the classroom. I like this kind of pact, but yeah, i still hope they interact more tbh. He probably could tell her, after what he did here, that he's ready to tell his old school the kind of hero he is now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/k5XaDqB.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LPfWB4O.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/52kPvDl.png[/IMG]

Id still want to see Kirishima with his hair down in the current color he uses, its the best, though aniamted black hair kiri would be great too.

Flashback had a good yet expected outcome. Will miss it.

He should have shown some of the other characters in the panel at the entrance exam.

Yeah, I just want more subtle stuff between them. It doesn't need to be overdone and too overt. Just enough to acknowledge their relationship.

I wish someone would comment on it. Deku worked hard on the bod. I want a fan service scene at a beach, Deku takes off his shirt, and all the ladies get a nose bleed for one.

I'm legit surprised Horikoshi hasn't at least touched on it. It seems like a deconstruction he'd do. The bookish, timid Deku that they all think just has a cool quirk is actually fucking ripped. Maybe even "let his hair down" so he's more traditionally attractive.

Be a nice change of pace moment for a pallet cleanser arc. You can even have Uraraka go all aflutter.

Meffer

I'm legit surprised Horikoshi hasn't at least touched on it. It seems like a deconstruction he'd do. The bookish, timid Deku that they all think just has a cool quirk is actually fucking ripped. Maybe even "let his hair down" so he's more traditionally attractive.

Be a nice change of pace moment for a pallet cleanser arc. You can even have Uraraka go all aflutter.

She saw him working out one night. She got all shojo.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
She saw him working out one night. She got all shojo.

Are you talking about the scene where Deku was practicing kicks? Cause that's not what we're talking about. We want Uraka to walk in on Deku doing some overhead presses shirtless, take one look at those abs. Come back while deku is wiping off, and oh look, she brought a block of cheese. Then Uraka just starts shredding that cheddar off of Deku's stomach for some nachos because daaaaaamn] look at that body. If Deku isn't shirtless and there is a zoom in on those abs, then it doesn't count.

I swear to god, this was my friend's fitness goal. His fantasy. He was a weird dude.

Jintor

I think everyone is ripped in the class though, including the girls

Nightbird

I can see a relationship between Deku and Uraraka developing in the future before the end of the story.

It would allow for more "lessons in hero ethics"

I wanna see a situation where Deku has to to save people and has to decide between two. May be unnecessary dark, but i wanna know how Hori deals with that Superhero trope

NSESN

I can see a relationship between Deku and Uraraka developing in the future before the end of the story.

It would allow for more "lessons in hero ethics"

I wanna see a situation where Deku has to to save people and has to decide between two. May be unnecessary dark, but i wanna know how Hori deals with that Superhero trope

He would save another person. He would state that Ochako would be able to save herself.

Jintor

we always get that last chapter ooh they're a real couple now stuff

i want the day to day of two supers dating

but not the teen titans/young justice reality of two supers dating where everyone sucks all the time and also a little light mind control

Philippo

I'm usually anti-fanservice, but this is a perfect series for some more rom-comedy.

But in all honesty i just want Horikoshi to go for realistic romantic relationships that develop through the series, not in the flashforward final chapter.

No one will ever hook up until the final chapter. This is a shonen manga guys.

All the official arts highly suggest and strongly imply TodoDeku though, so its going to happen onscreen eventually, same for Kirishima and Kaminari. The writer has already included close and deep character interaction through hand holding with Kirishima and Bakugou.

I'm usually anti-fanservice, but this is a perfect series for some more rom-comedy.

But in all honesty i just want Horikoshi to go for realistic romantic relationships that develop through the series, not in the flashforward final chapter.

I really think he'd pull it off, too. Ochako and Deku have real chemistry, and he's handled their relationship so far really well.

There was that quote about his plans for the cast post-highschool. I think it's gonna happen.

(Unlike Kirishima/Bakugou, unfortunately).

Philippo

I really think he'd pull it off, too. Ochako and Deku have real chemistry, and he's handled their relationship so far really well.

There was that quote about his plans for the cast post-highschool. I think it's gonna happen.

(Unlike Kirishima/Bakugou, unfortunately).

I'd love to see a couple dating and the rest of the class reacting and adapting to that.
Ojiro/Hagakure? Todoroki/Yaomomo? Deku/Ochako?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If Horikishi learned anything from Western Super Hero comics its that female characters get into relationships only to die and give him more depth and gravitas. So yeah Deku gets a girl, then somebody kills her.

If Horikishi learned anything from Western Super Hero comics its that female characters get into relationships only to die and give him more depth and gravitas. So yeah Deku gets a girl, then somebody kills her.

Well, he's a Spider-Man fan, so maybe he and Ochako get married and then he sacrifices the marriage to the devil to save his mom.

Jump is desperate for a long running hit and MHA is doing pretty well so, I could see them just letting Horikoshi do what he wants for the most part.

So I hope we get a real relationship out of this. None of the usual "blush blush oh protagonist kun blush blush" crap.

Finally got caught up with the series. Love it so far.
Jump is desperate for a long running hit and MHA is doing pretty well so, I could see them just letting Horikoshi do what he wants for the most part.

So I hope we get a real relationship out of this. None of the usual "blush blush oh protagonist kun blush blush" crap.

Same here.

Top Bottom