• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

LotusHD

Banned
Which one do you like more? I'm liking this one a lot more because it feels like there's stakes where other arcs just didn't seem to have any.

Bakugou rescue arc I guess. Aside from that, I never really had a deep love for the arcs themselves (more like individual moments), but I didn't have anything bad to say about them either. Just a very consistent manga quality-wise. Until now for me personally.

While yes, this arc feels more... stakey, there's a lot of stuff in it that I'm just not feeling at all, like Overhaul and his accomplices. Truthfully, it's been the weakest arc for me thus far (Ending could always save it I guess) despite its compelling start, but I love Mirio though. He was undeniably my bright spot while reading through this arc. But yeah, my sentiment for some time now has been where I'm pretty much ready to move on, and that's the first time I ever felt like that with this manga.

Gamegeneral

I gotta say, this show lives up to the hype. I had to get on board now because it feels like the type of show to run for many more seasons.

NSESN

Which one do you like more? I'm liking this one a lot more because it feels like there's stakes where other arcs just didn't seem to have any.
While I disagree that it is the best I agre with your point. The camp arc is one of my favorites because of this.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
My favorite arc is probably the mountain training arc mostly because it was our first introduction to a lot of the villians and they all had pretty interesting and weird powers they used in weird ways. Hell, even class B had a cool moment to shine and I hate those guys.

Bakugou rescue arc I guess. Aside from that, I never really had a deep love for the arcs themselves (more like individual moments), but I didn't have anything bad to say about them either. Just a very consistent manga quality-wise. Until now for me personally.

While yes, this arc feels more... stakey, there's a lot of stuff in it that I'm just not feeling at all, like Overhaul and his accomplices. Truthfully, it's been the weakest arc for me thus far (Ending could always save it I guess) despite its compelling start, but I love Mirio though. He was undeniably my bright spot while reading through this arc. But yeah, my sentiment for some time now has been where I'm pretty much ready to move on, and that's the first time I ever felt like that with this manga.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This arc will probably be a lot better reading all at once from Tankoubons with the art fixed.

Overall the arc though feels like the anti-thesis of how Horikoshi works. Something like the forest camp works because the flow of everything was just right and new events were popping up left and right but were concluding pretty fast. I don't know if Horikoshi thought he needed to add Chisaki's expendables group because he needed to make the group look formidable. Maybe he felt that he needed to make the group as dangerous as they were made out to be to give other characters things to do and make the heroes and police's preparations for this task force make sense. How fucking long have we been in the hallways of the yakuza basement? Mimic guy took way too long to bring down. It's been the first real dud arc for me, and I'm not sure if it is due to Horikoshi's health affecting his overall work output or not.

Laiza

Eri is a bloody living cheat code.

I'm just laughing because it's such an obvious excuse to let us see Midoriya at 100% for a chapter or two, and because holy bajeezus her power really can break the entire setting open in a big way. I'm not sure how to feel about this. At the very least, I'm entertained.

Trojita

There's a chance Deku is going to die and then be rewound. I'm not sure if Horikoshi is going to go with Shonen "I can change destiny" cliche or confirm that Nighteye's future site is a static view that can't be changed no matter what.

caliph95

I don't want anyone "to break destiny" it's something I would probably accept in OP or jojo But I would rather them be killed then get saved by eri

DNAbro

I can accept it either way. One will be setting a pretty major All Might death flag though.

I can also accept my idea that Eri’s rewind power counters Nighteye’s predictions in general.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So Deku is either going to die by chimera man and get rewound by Eri or Eri will finally rewind Deku completely but figure out how to "fast forward".

Deku's plan to go all out and hurt himself more than Eri can heal him is ingenious yet mad, as others have pointed out. But Eri's powers must have a logical limit or else she can dragonball away every problem that comes their way.

Deku being outside means it's bystander and tv crew time! Guess Deku might get outed by the end of this arc.

kirblar

So Deku is either going to die by chimera man and get rewound by Eri or Eri will finally rewind Deku completely but figure out how to "fast forward".

Deku's plan to go all out and hurt himself more than Eri can heal him is ingenious yet mad, as others have pointed out. But Eri's powers must have a logical limit or else she can dragonball away every problem that comes their way.

Deku being outside means it's bystander and tv crew time! Guess Deku might get outed by the end of this arc.
The limit is currently her lack of control. She reverts things too quickly if she stays in contact w/ them for an extended period.

Veelk

Banned
Shit. I just remembered. Now it makes sense why Eri ran away from Deku and Mirio the first encounter. She wasn't afraid that Overhaul was going to kill them. She was afraid she was.

Edit: eh, was mistaken. It was because of overhauls threat. But still, this has to fuck with her ability to be close with anyone.

Lunar15

This arc will probably be a lot better reading all at once from Tankoubans with the art fixed.

Overall the arc though feels like the anti-thesis of how Horikoshi works. Something like the forest camp works because the flow of everything was just right and new events were popping up left and right but were concluding pretty fast. I don't know if Horikoshi thought he needed to add Chisaki's expendables group because he needed to make the group look formidable. Maybe he felt that he needed to make the group as dangerous as they were made out to be to give other characters things to do and make the heroes and police's preparations for this task force make sense. How fucking long have we been in the hallways of the yakuza basement? Mimic guy took way too long to bring down. It's been the first real dud arc for me, and I'm not sure if it is due to Horikoshi's health affecting his overall work output or not.

I agree. This hasn't been a great arc. The pacing has slogged, there's been more characters added rather than fleshing out existing characters, and overall it just seems like it's fitting a really specific template. Too many flashbacks, and Deku going all out at 100% just doesn't feel entirely right given his arc up to now has been about growing gradually.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The limit is currently her lack of control. She reverts things too quickly if she stays in contact w/ them for an extended period.
Yeah, but what's her limit in the future? I doubt her fully realized powers are limitless as that would break the story.

Trojita

I don't know if I'd count on that last thing happening, but if it almost does happen..... I hope that he's told to start masking up and that in turn leads to a whole new suit being made.

Jarmel

Banned
I’m curious about this too. The amount of collateral damage at this point has to be insane. A number of classmates are going to be watching, nearby heroes and cops, and possibly news reporters. This isn’t a small incident anymore.

DNAbro

When we had just the spoiler page I was thinking about the possibility that since Deku hasn't used 100% full cowl he might accidentally kill Overhaul by using too much power and that would be his intro to the public. That was before we knew Overhaul went all kaiju which I'm assuming is a lot more durable.

Jarmel

Banned
The next chapter should be interesting on the level that Deku hasn't used this much power so he could end up flying way past Overhaul by accident or hitting Overhaul so hard that he ends up in a populated part of town.

His arm was fine after the kick itself, but it looks like he may have wrecked it after being hit by the shock wave and falling back down, though he healed it right after.

I like Eri's agency here. The kid in the camp arc was so annoying, here we have a kid that actually does relevant stuff without being oh the edge.

Meffer

I like Eri's agency here. The kid in the camp arc was so annoying, here we have a kid that actually does relevant stuff without being oh the edge.

The kid in the camp arc I feel is important because regardless whether or not he acted like a shit to Deku, he still needed to be saved.

The high point of the series was the Bakugou rescue arc. I'll wait for the ending of this arc in order to properly judge it but there are a few things I already don't like about it. The best thing about this arc like is definitely Mirio. I also liked Kirishima part but the positioning of the flashback loses some points here

The ending for this is going to be very crucial in how I view this arc as a whole.

PaulBizkit

The high point of the series was the Bakugou rescue arc. I'll wait for the ending of this arc in order to properly judge it but there are a few things I already don't like about it. The best thing about this arc like is definitely Mirio. I also liked Kirishima but the positioning of the flashback loses some points here

The ending for this is going to be very crucial in how I view this arc as a whole.

Well, it's obvious by now but, this arc is DEFINITELY enjoyed better if it was read all through out in one sitting. There are like 5 chapters that are just running around in corridors while the villains explain things.

Mirio is cool, yeah, but he didn't grow on me as much. I was more intrigued by how the yakuza administration worked and WHAT ROLES would Togata and the rest would have.

157:

Holy shit, Deku is the best.

"She has an auto-heal power she can't control? Fuck it, sounds like the perfect time to test out one-for-all 100%"

What a guy

so Mirio can get his quirk back and people last week were wrong, right

No, because there's been no indication at all that she's even capable of rewinding one of her own rewinds, which is what happened to Mirio. Also the only reason she hasn't killed Deku is because he's killing himself even faster and she has to undo that.

She's really not built to be a reset button. Maybe, years from now, after she's actually got a handle on her powers she might be.

No, because there's been no indication at all that she's even capable of rewinding one of her own rewinds, which is what happened to Mirio. Also the only reason she hasn't killed Deku is because he's killing himself even faster and she has to undo that.

She's really not built to be a reset button. Maybe, years from now, after she's actually got a handle on her powers she might be.

what do you mean one of her own rewinds? how did that happen to mirio?

DNAbro

what do you mean one of her own rewinds? how did that happen to mirio?

He lost his Quirk due to Eri's Quirk rewinding his Quirk to a point where it doesn't exist(or something like that). So the question is, can she rewind a rewind?

I'm guessing no and he remains Quirkless.

He lost his Quirk due to Eri's Quirk rewinding his Quirk to a point where it doesn't exist(or something like that). So the question is, can she rewind a rewind?

I'm guessing no and he remains Quirkless.

oooh from the bullet

yeah probably not then, i totally forgot that was her power lmao

kirblar

I assume the quirk factor was rewind into non existence and I doubt she can rewind what was rewound
You can't really take away someone's DNA though.

The first set of bullets had the powers come back after a short while.

They only just got these "permanent" ones to work.

caliph95

You can't really take away someone's DNA though.

The first set of bullets had the powers come back after a short while.

They only just got these "permanent" ones to work.
I know it's not how dna work just me trying to work out how it works in comic science

I assume it does rewind enough to non existence and it didn't rewind enough before allowing the quirk factor to "regrow"

Again bullshit science

NSESN

So Overhauls said he is the only one that can stop her quirk. How do you guys think he does that? That also can be an explanation why he wasn't killed by her whe she rewound him.

klaushm

So Overhauls said he is the only one that can stop her quirk. How do you guys think he does that? That also can be an explanation why he wasn't killed by her whe she rewound him.

I think he is talking about "killing" her, temporarily. Disassembling and assembling her.

Overhaul wasn't killed because he was still fused with his henchman, so Eri's rewind defused Overhaul. If he wasn't fused he would have probably been dead.

NSESN

Overhaul wasn't killed because he was still fused with his henchman, so Eri's rewind defused Overhaul. If he wasn't fused he would have probably been dead.

I think that is the explanation, but I am just thinking that even if she touched him after being defused he wouldn't be able to die. That sort of explain why she felt powerless against him besides all of the abuse.

Top Bottom