• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Loofy

Read the first couple issues.. I dunno, kinda reads like a parody without the comedy. And Im already reading One Punch Man.

SalvaPot

That last page of chapter 29 is hype as fuck

Would deku go for the million points bandanna or one of the other ones?

SalvaPot

I called it with the 16 final contestants. Anyway, I'm just curious who's gonna get paired up. the combat pairings are usually my favorite things about tournaments.

I hear ya, Deku vs Kacchan is not going to be the final, that is for sure, since we already had a battle between them.
Maybe a semifinal between them. Frostfire boy is the one we have set as the guy to beat, but we just got that battle between them, so my guess its that he is going to be beat in the semifinal in favor of another character, but who? Zombieguy seems like the most likely choice, it would be predictable if the final rival is part of Class A.

I love this arcs because of all the focus on different characters, and all of them are so interesting.

SalvaPot

Well... not how I'd put it, honestly. It's all been team efforts thus far.

Still, that's a fair point.

Yeah, I think he will make it far, most likely until the Final. I´ll love to see him fight Ochako, I hate that most Shonen series always make boys fight boys and girls fight girls, they are all heroes so that shouldn´t matter, don´t disappoint me!

By the way, should I request a title change to My Hero Academia or leave it as is?

Yeah, I think he will make it far, most likely until the Final. I´ll love to see him fight Ochako, I hate that most Shonen series always make boys fight boys and girls fight girls, they are all heroes so that shouldn´t matter, don´t disappoint me!

By the way, should I request a title change to My Hero Academia or leave it as is?

Might not be the worst idea. Let it be known that there're English versions for sale.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Finally my shadowbird bro had a chance. Chapters keep being fun, this is my new HxH/early Magi already.

that aint falco, yeah shadow bro is the greatest, god, there isnt a single supporting character I dislike in this manga, plus idk what it is about tsuya but she has unbelievable charm, fell inlove with the character. I think its the character design.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I hear ya, Deku vs Kacchan is not going to be the final, that is for sure, since we already had a battle between them.
Maybe a semifinal between them. Frostfire boy is the one we have set as the guy to beat, but we just got that battle between them, so my guess its that he is going to be beat in the semifinal in favor of another character, but who? Zombieguy seems like the most likely choice, it would be predictable if the final rival is part of Class A.

I love this arcs because of all the focus on different characters, and all of them are so interesting.

Agreed. All the characters are pretty great, and I'm glad we're about to see some of the minor ones get a moment to shine. Really curious what's up with that one evil looking guy from class B. Also, it can't be just straight up fights, can it? Clearly not everyone has combat quirks. I'm sure there is some alternative objective they have to do. Just in a one on one scenario.

SalvaPot

Will start reading this tomorrow! Thanks!

Give it a go and tells us what you think!

Finally my shadowbird bro had a chance. Chapters keep being fun, this is my new HxH/early Magi already.

that aint falco, yeah shadow bro is the greatest, god, there isnt a single supporting character I dislike in this manga, plus idk what it is about tsuya but she has unbelievable charm, fell inlove with the character. I think its the character design.

Hunter x Hunter is easily one of my favorite mangas ever, so I think its a fair comparison, Hero Academia has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. Shadowbird (Or Black Chocobo as I call him) Has such a fun quirk, I expect him to get a lot of cool fights.

Frog girl its so cute!

Agreed. All the characters are pretty great, and I'm glad we're about to see some of the minor ones get a moment to shine. Really curious what's up with that one evil looking guy from class B. Also, it can't be just straight up fights, can it? Clearly not everyone has combat quirks. I'm sure there is some alternative objective they have to do. Just in a one on one scenario.

Yeah, I think straight up fights could be boring and some quirks have a huge advantage over others. Maybe there is a handicap system?

They are heroes brah. Basic fighting is an integral part...

SalvaPot

Wow at Todoroki's mum. Poor kid. He seems like this manga's version of Sasuke.

What about Origami Cyclone from Tiger and Bunny? Granted in the beginning he didn't actually do anything hero-ish.

As long as he doesn´t end up like Sasuke, what a waste of a good setup Sasuke´s Story arc was.

Torodoki is really cool (heh) so far, makes for a worthy rival, if we are doing Naruto comparisons I´ll put him with Neji, but I don´t really like to compare mangas, since I think Hero Academia has a better start than Naruto so far.

ss-hikaru

As long as he doesn´t end up like Sasuke, what a waste of a good setup Sasuke´s Story arc was.

Torodoki is really cool (heh) so far, makes for a worthy rival, if we are doing Naruto comparisons I´ll put him with Neji, but I don´t really like to compare mangas, since I think Hero Academia has a better start than Naruto so far.

I hope he doesn't end up like Sasuke either :| He seems like a nice guy. While I agree on the better start than Naruto it feels like this current arc is like the genin exam arc from Naruto. Maybe it's just shonen cliche, maybe it's because I've jumped into the most recent chapters? But I'm not really comparing per se, just getting vibes. I don't really care if story elements are reused, as long as they are done well! (besides genin exam arc was probably the best part of Naruto IMO haha).

I gotta say, I really like the art.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think Sasuke is a good comparison, their motivations are totally different. Todoroki doesn't want to be his father's pawn, and resents how the accuse of his mom. This puts him far closer to Gaara, if we're using Naruto analogies. Aside from his parental issues, though, he's pretty well adjusted.

I don't think Sasuke is a good comparison, their motivations are totally different. Todoroki doesn't want to be his father's pawn, and resents how the accuse of his mom. This puts him far closer to Gaara, if we're using Naruto analogies. Aside from his parental issues, though, he's pretty well adjusted.

There's a fairly hefty self-loathing component there as well, though, which (and it's been a while since I read any Naruto) lines up more with my impressions of Sasuke.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sasuke was suffering from survivor's guilt. Todoroki just has dad issues. Todoroki is also ambitious, with a strong moral character whereas Sasuke got crazier and crazier over time.

ss-hikaru

Oops I didn't mean to start a debate XD My comparison was more that Todoroki seemed like the broody, serious, 'hot' character with family issues. Which Sasuke probably fulfills in Naruto (tbh I'm not that familiar with Naruto, particularly shippuden, stuff). I'm not saying they are 1:1 the same....just their character types seem fairly similar.

cntr

Banned
While we await a new chapter, I have a question.

How the heck did Mineta get into the heroics class?! Namely, how did he pass the robot-combat initial test?

SalvaPot

While we await a new chapter, I have a question.

How the heck did Mineta get into the heroics class?! Namely, how did he pass the robot-combat initial test?

I had the same question, Its explained in the tankobon/volume, but since I can't put scans I'll just tell you.

Remember how the entrance test with the robots was to "Stop them", you really didn't need to destroy them, just immobilize them, so his ability of sticky balls gave him a lot of points, so all he had to do was stick them to the robots and they will be immobilized, pretty clever, huh?

Yeah, Uraka's probably going to get creamed. Though it might be a good character development step if Calvin Kacchan lost, assuming the author's interested in that.

Looks like Midoriya's opponent is a mind-guy, huh? Probably the worst opponent for him.

SalvaPot

This is getting interesting! Our first serious match and its a mind contol oponent.

And todoroki is going to be a early fight, huh? Hmm, I wonder where the story is going.

Maximo

God I wish this was a anime so bad, won't be for a few years but the fights are going to be Amazing I can't wait.

FlowersisBritish

I rarely watch dubs, they lack heart nowadays. So clean and literal. I miss the old dubs when the voice actors use to have fun.

I know right? I listened to the JJBA dub, and most people seemed to be okay with it, but none of the voices sounded fun. They all sound like the same gruff, kind of serious person. I saw some friends the next day talk about the dub for something else, an how the biggest problem with dubs is that the voice pool is small and they have to keep going back to the same voices. I disagree with that thoroughly. There are so many great and interesting voices in so many different shows! My go to example is Venture Bros. All the voices there are so unique and interesting, yet also very over the top. Those are the voices I want in my dubs! The people voicing Venture Bros, Boondocks, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls! People who realize voice work should have fun voices. End rant.

Really excited for the next chapter. I like the creepy kid and I am curious as to what his power exactly is. It's kind of tough to tell since the show hasn't really drawn a line with "too ridiculous" powers.

WarRock

So One for All is kinda like the
Iron Fist's chi or the Phoenix Force (you have some sort of contact with previous wielders)
huh.

And Black Chocobo. I like that nickname.

SalvaPot

Legacy Skill confirmed, this will open the gate for a lot of plot later on I´m sure! Its seems a theme for the series is going to be that, color me excited and willing.

Nairume

Banned
Legacy Skill confirmed, this will open the gate for a lot of plot later on I´m sure! Its seems a theme for the series is going to be that, color me excited and willing.
Wonder if we get him fighting an evil former bearer.

Even if that's been super done to death, I wouldn't even mind them doing that, since Hero Academia has been good about taking elements from other shonen properties and twisting them into something fresh.

FlowersisBritish

Kay, so with the reveal, I really hope Deku's quirk turns sinister.
Like some the souls who used to have One for All being regretful, or wrathful, or violent. Just something to make this near perfect quirk a little more dangerous to Deku and those around him

WarRock

Like some the souls who used to have One for All being regretful, or wrathful, or violent. Just something to make this near perfect quirk a little more dangerous to Deku and those around him

Wonder if we get him fighting an evil former bearer.

Even if that's been super done to death, I wouldn't even mind them doing that, since Hero Academia has been good about taking elements from other shonen properties and twisting them into something fresh.
Yeah, a previous user who did not want to part with the power seems super obvious and an interesting conflict.

SalvaPot

I´m not sure about that, i mean, did All Might ever went evil? I think the risk of the quirk is that it takes to much out of the user, kinda like a glass cannon.

Lulubop

Started reading this, almost caught up but I'm really digging it, first Shounen since Kekkaishi I can say that about.

The lead is growing on me a lot. I wasn't a fan, but he's already maturing and has always used his head in tight situations.

I do hope that if this last, they don't go through all four years of school and the author skips to at least the forth year.

Started reading this, almost caught up but I'm really digging it, first Shounen since Kekkaishi I can say that about.

The lead is growing on me a lot. I wasn't a fan, but he's already maturing and has always used his head in tight situations.

I do hope that if this last, they don't go through all four years of school and the author skips to at least the forth year.

Oh man, Kekkaishi. I gotta reread that, seriously good stuff.

Top Bottom