• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UberTag said:
Technically Canada already has MLP and has had it for a long while now.
It's just aired on a network nobody watches.

Treehouse TV

Airs in the following timeslots...
- Wednesdays at 6pm
- Saturdays at 9:30am
- Sundays at 9:00am

You'd think CRTC regulations would make it easier for MLP: Friendship is Magic to get airtime.
Hell, when Sailor Moon was dubbed in Toronto it had broadcast deals with YTV, Global and Sinclair.

Calpain said:
I thought Canada already had Treehouse TV showing MLP Wednesdays at 6pm EST?
Treehouse TV

Edit: Saw that awesome comic earlier today. There are some really awesome artists in this fandom.

Heh, thanks. I guess I can direct people there.

I guess it's fitting that it airs on a channel nobody watches in Canada just as it airs on a channel nobody watches in the states.

Should really be on YTV or Teletoon or something.

Cheerilee

UberTag said:

Treehouse TV

- Wednesdays at 6pm

You'd think CRTC regulations would make it easier for MLP: Friendship is Magic to get airtime.
Hell, when Sailor Moon was dubbed in Toronto it had broadcast deals with YTV, Global and Sinclair.
Canadian-dubbed anime qualified as Canadian content at a time when there was a shortage of it.

Thanks to the reality TV boom, YTV has an unending supply of cheaply made live-action shows. That's all YTV is these days. Spongebob and live action. Such a shame. They used to be great.

Teletoon beats YTV to Hub's new Transformers and GI Joe shows? Darn. MLP:FIM is still available? Buy it and flip it to the preschool channel. Thanks YTV!

It's been a lOng time sinc I've seen much of tyrant Celestia. I wonder why that is? Sometime around the Filomena ep, trollestia became a lot more popular.

Probably has the same roots in the Luna defense force, in any case.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AceBandage said:
ppower.jpg

PPGZ'D

I still don't understand how a cartoon about magical girl superheroes with a ridiculous cast of characters was somehow seen as not palpable enough to Japanese audiences.

Cheerilee

Amibguous Cad said:
It's been a lOng time sinc I've seen much of tyrant Celestia. I wonder why that is? Sometime around the Filomena ep, trollestia became a lot more popular.

Probably has the same roots in the Luna defense force, in any case.
I can agree with that.

I sometimes kind of like to root for the bad guy. You just set aside that you've been told that X is good and Y is bad, and you try to understand Y's position and figure out why they do what they do. If a "hero" makes an inferior race nearly extinct as a part of his "victory", is he really a hero or just a sanctioned mass murderer? It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's kind of fun. And it's usually not serious.

In the case of Celestia/Luna, I thought it became pretty obvious that Luna was pushed to that end, by Celestia.

But after accepting that as my official (not serious) position, and seeing the show apparently accept that as their position, I had to move on and question Celestia's motives and try to understand why she did what she did, and I came to believe that Celestia was a non-malicious troll (the word "troll" has many negative connotations, but I still think it's the most accurate so I'll use it), which made appreciate both Celestia and Luna.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ruby_onix said:
I can agree with that.

I sometimes kind of like to root for the bad guy. You just set aside that you've been told that X is good and Y is bad, and you try to understand Y's position and figure out why they do what they do. If a "hero" makes an inferior race nearly extinct as a part of his "victory", is he really a hero or just a sanctioned mass murderer? It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's kind of fun. And it's usually not serious.

In the case of Celestia/Luna, I thought it became pretty obvious that Luna was pushed to that end, by Celestia.

But after accepting that as my official (not serious) position, and seeing the show apparently accept that as their position, I had to move on and question Celestia's motives and try to understand why she did what she did, and I came to believe that Celestia was a non-malicious troll (the word "troll" has many negative connotations, but I still think it's the most accurate so I'll use it), which made appreciate both Celestia and Luna.

I don't really see how that can in any way be assumed if you just look at the show itself and not fannon.

KtSlime

ZealousD said:
I still don't understand how a cartoon about magical girl superheroes with a ridiculous cast of characters was somehow seen as not palpable enough to Japanese audiences.

Not enough サービス (Fan service, panty shots, etc)

Calpain

DrForester said:
I don't really see how that can in any way be assumed if you just look at the show itself and not fannon.
I agree with Forester on this one. Nothing in the show points to Celestia pushing Luna to become Nightmare Moon other than Celestia controlling the day and Luna growing to resent that.

Also, I'm not sure if I remember this right, but I think I recall Faust saying something on her DA page about Luna being influenced as well by some dark force or something when she began to resent her sister? In the end though I think it was nothing more than two sisters thrown into an unfortunate situation (not saying it isn't fun to come up with fan theories and such though).

Narag

Dark force corrupting would make sense with the route she was taking storywise.
That said, the victor writes the history books. The Tyrant strikes again.

Calpain said:
Also, I'm not sure if I remember this right, but I think I recall Faust saying something on her DA page about Luna being influenced as well by some dark force or something when she began to resent her sister? In the end though I think it was nothing more than two sisters thrown into an unfortunate situation (not saying it isn't fun to come up with fan theories and such though).
I swear I read this somewhere too, but the only thing I can actually find on it is the tvtropes page that claims it is 'Word of god,' but provides no links to the source.

Cheerilee

DrForester said:
The first episode says that Luna turned to evil because she was feeling shunned and unappreciated. A Perfect Princess Celestia would be guilty of that. If she's so awesome, how can her own sister silently rage until she snaps over a work arrangement that the perfect one could handle with both wings tied behind her back?

Troll-Celestia is not guilty. She's trying to make friends. She's trying to have fun. She doesn't know what you're thinking or what you need, and can't know unless you tell her.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ruby_onix said:
The first episode says that Luna turned to evil because she was feeling shunned and unappreciated. A Perfect Princess Celestia would be guilty of that. If she's so awesome, how can her own sister silently rage until she snaps over a work arrangement that the perfect one could handle with both wings tied behind her back?

Troll-Celestia is not guilty. She's trying to make friends. She's trying to have fun. She doesn't know what you're thinking or what you need, and can't know unless you tell her.

All the first episode says is that Luna felt resentful, and it was directed at the ponies of the world who slept through her night, not her sister. It also says Celestia tried to talk to Luna, but Luna wouldn't listen.

Calpain

DeadPhoenix said:
I swear I read this somewhere too, but the only thing I can actually find on it is the tvtropes page that claims it is 'Word of god,' but provides no links to the source.
I think I found the quote we are both thinking of:

So it wasn't an evil force, but just evil magic, something Luna could have cast on herself or had cast on her.

Cheerilee

DrForester said:
All the first episode says is that Luna felt resentful, and it was directed at the ponies of the world who slept through her night, not her sister. It also says Celestia tried to talk to Luna, but Luna wouldn't listen.
I don't think a perfection stereotype with Celestia's friendship precog/manipulation ability could let it get that far, not without it being considered a massive failing, to the point where I'd call "guilty".

But a powerful, yet fallible character with a genuine personality could technically contribute to the problem and it still wouldn't be her fault. It wouldn't be anybody's fault.

I think it just comes down to my definition of "perfect" and where I thought they were going with Celestia in the first eps.

2th

Banned
Calpain said:
I think I found the quote we are both thinking of:

So it wasn't an evil force, but just evil magic, something Luna could have cast on herself or had cast on her.

Ok so if it was cast on here there must be an actual evil force somewhere in Equestria. As long as it isnt the retarded witches from the 80s show.

Neki

tafer said:
Already 200 posts? You guys really want a OT 3 before the second season starts, don't you?
I don't think that would be possible to be honest. What would the average post per day need to be to achieve such a thing?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimoo said:
I don't think that would be possible to be honest. What would the average post per day need to be to achieve such a thing?

We're on pace if the premiere isn't until the end of September, actually.

KtSlime

Ultimoo said:

If we moderate ourselves and do no more than 175 posts a day, and season 2 starts mid October we should barely fit it all in this thread - any more than that and we will need a 3rd thread.

Calpain

Ultimoo said:
Well, if we assume season two starts October 1 at the earliest, we have 31 days in July and August and then 30 in September so 92 days plus 8 days left in June if you also include today for a total of 100 days.

Threads max out at 20000 and we have 19800ish to go so we would have to make about 198 posts a day to lock the thread by time season two starts assuming it starts October 1st (doubtful)

KtSlime

Calpain said:
Well, if we assume season two starts October 1 at the earliest, we have 31 days in July and August and then 30 in September so 92 days plus 8 days left in June if you also include today for a total of 100 days.

Threads max out at 20000 and we have 19800ish to go so we would have to make about 198 posts a day to lock the thread by time season two starts assuming it starts October 1st (doubtful)

Yeah, I'm guessing Season 2 will be slated to start October 14th.

PS: 7th is the earliest for October if they are planning on keeping new episodes on Friday.

Calpain

ivedoneyourmom said:
Yeah, I'm guessing Season 2 will be slated to start October 14th.

PS: 7th is the earliest for October if they are planning on keeping new episodes on Friday.
I'm guessing mid October too since season two seems to be following a similar schedule that season one had. Plus the hints from Thiessen saying he suspects a fall release and the information from Ingram saying that two season two episodes were completed with the season one work load makes this more of a possibility.

Neki

OMG Aero said:
Man if only I had kids channels back home. This would totally have been a good excuse to watch the whole series again.
No more angry Fluttershy? I am sad.

Also, I doubt we're going to average 175 posts per day. We can get around 50 on a slow day, and maybe 125 on an exciting day. (today).

2th

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
If we moderate ourselves and do no more than 175 posts a day, and season 2 starts mid October we should barely fit it all in this thread - any more than that and we will need a 3rd thread.

i dont think this will be so hard if we really want an OT 3

i mean we are already up to 237 in under 24 hours.

Neki

2th said:
i dont think this will be so hard if we really want an OT 3

i mean we are already up to 237 in under 24 hours.

Well the thread just opened of course. It has that new thread smell, everyone is posting in here, even jenga!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
UberTag said:

Treehouse TV

- Wednesdays at 6pm

Adding it to OP, thank you for the info!

Cheerilee

Myke Greywolf said:
Adding it to OP, thank you for the info!
Just so you know, it's not currently airing in Canada. The next episode date on their site is listed as N/A.

If they were airing 3 episodes a week (at varying times) since January, they probably ran out of new episodes and then just canned the show instead of airing reruns. If it even lasted that long.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Knocked out 5, 6, and 7. I can see why so many people say Dragonshy is such a good episode (I was also amused to see the origin of the E3 pony gif), but honestly I thought 5 and 6 were just as great in their own way.

This show really has a way with hitting a huge payoff in every episode.

Applejack still annoys me.

Neki

Ryaaan14 said:
Knocked out 5, 6, and 7. I can see why so many people say Dragonshy is such a good episode (I was also amused to see the origin of the E3 pony gif), but honestly I thought 5 and 6 were just as great in their own way.

This show really has a way with hitting a huge payoff in every episode.

Applejack still annoys me.

As long as you think Twilight or Pinkie are awesome, you're okay in my books!

Neki

Ryaaan14 said:
Pinkie and Fluttershy are my mains. I hated Twilight at first but now she's legit.
Good, good. You've chosen wisely. All you need is a pony avatar and you'll be even more awesome! ;)

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Good, good. You've chosen wisely. All you need is a pony avatar and you'll be even more awesome! ;)
I was going to wait a bit, but I was gonna ask if someone would ponyize my current. I picked this one so I could accessorize it as necessary, and seeing as this group was the first to pique my interest after being approved, I thought it might be fitting.

Lots of talented artists here too...so if anyone wanted to do the honors, that would be fantastic.

If not, I'll probably just do a half-ass job myself next time I'm bored.

Neki

Ryaaan14 said:
I was going to wait a bit, but I was gonna ask if someone would ponyize my current. I picked this one so I could accessorize it as necessary, and seeing as this group was the first to pique my interest after being approved, I thought it might be fitting.

Lots of talented artists here too...so if anyone wanted to do the honors, that would be fantastic.

If not, I'll probably just do a half-ass job myself next time I'm bored.

You might need to be more specific. I can't help you, but I'm sure someone could. What do you imagine when you say something is ponyized?

Anyone else curious with the mysterious "lost episodes"?
I'm curious where you find your avatars. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom