• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

So, Angel will receive your own movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmwsDQOSYRs

Can't say I imagined Kevin Hart.

Anyway, album is up. I'll give it a day before I send it to ED.

This was meant to be a way to pass the time during the break, and I hope even those who were against making a guide can be proud of the result. Though I don't imagine it happening that often, hopefully you guys remember to use this guide when someone expresses interest in the show.

German MLP site leaks a description for the toy of Cadance and Shining Armor's foal

"The baby princess Flurry Heart is the small offspring of Princess Cadance and Shining Armor Prince . You can speak a few sentences , her unicorn lights up and reacts to sounds and touch . In addition, they can be fed with their vials ."

So her name is Flurry Heart. The description mentions a horn, but we can't tell if she's a unicorn or an alicorn. Unicorn would make more sense in canon, but we know that Cadance doesn't care about that.

Personally, either way, I'm hoping for an episode where she comes from the future Trunks-style as a badass sword wielder, only to reveal that the future is fine and she learned how to use swords just because.

Went ahead and sent the guide to ED, and uploaded it onto Derpibooru before someone else could. Use the NeoGAF tag to find them. No downvotes so far, so that's good I guess. EDIT: Oh wait, it doesn't list downvotes. Well, at least no one is complaining too strongly, except one guy who insists that the Equestria Girls movies should be listed as important.

EDIT: OK, downvotes only appear when you look at the actual picture. There are a few, after all.

Orcastar

This was meant to be a way to pass the time during the break, and I hope even those who were against making a guide can be proud of the result. Though I don't imagine it happening that often, hopefully you guys remember to use this guide when someone expresses interest in the show.

It's a very nice guide, I'll give you that, much more impressive than I expected back when you first started talking about it. I wouldn't use it myself, but if it helps someone get into pony, more power to them.

Went ahead and sent the guide to ED, and uploaded it onto Derpibooru before someone else could. Use the NeoGAF tag to find them. No downvotes so far, so that's good I guess. EDIT: Oh wait, it doesn't list downvotes. Well, at least no one is complaining too strongly, except one guy who insists that the Equestria Girls movies should be listed as important.

Well as a person who enjoys EqG, yeah I admit they are pretty much optional.

But nonetheless, you guys did a pretty excellent job on the guide.

PaulloDEC

It's funny, I only realised when reading those comments that I'd not given much real thought to EG. Given they're spinoffs to FiM and not strictly a part of it, I think making them white is a fair call.

Also, thanks for all the nice words y'all.

EDIT: Regarding downvotes, I wouldn't pay them too much mind. 95% of them are going to be in response to the episode choices rather than anything else, and the real target audience of the thing is people who've never seen the show anyway.

^ Oh, I know that downvotes don't mean much in this case. I was just initially surprised by the lack of them, until I realized that you can only see them if you go to the actual image page.

Just checked the oddly large season 5 comment thread, and it's about something dumb. I notice what appears to be a GAFer trying to explain things there: trust me, that's a bad idea on Derpibooru. Stop while you can.

Cheerilee

There was no vote on the pink/quality status of the Equestria Girls movies.

The only thing keeping EQG out of gold/important status is the idea that they're out-of-canon movies that exist in a bubble universe off to the side. If Sunset Shimmer pays Ponyville a visit in season six, they're all going to flip to gold.

PaulloDEC

Just checked the oddly large season 5 comment thread, and it's about something dumb. I notice what appears to be a GAFer trying to explain things there: trust me, that's a bad idea on Derpibooru. Stop while you can.

Ha, I spotted that too. A noble gesture.

The only thing keeping EQG out of gold/important status is the idea that they're out-of-canon movies that exist in a bubble universe off to the side. If Sunset Shimmer pays Ponyville a visit in season six, they're all going to flip to gold.

Pretty much. If the show ever starts openly acknowledging the films, I'd say they'd be fair game.

That also applies to:
* "Dragon Quest", if there is a multi-parter about Spike's dragon heritage and the teenage dragons return in it.
* "Maud Pie", if that one season 6 screenshot we saw is actually from part of the season premiere somehow.
* "Canterlot Boutique", if the Canterlot shop shows up in a two-parter.
* "Testing Testing 1,2,3" and "Rarity Investigates", if a two-parter relies on Rainbow being part of the Wonderbolts Reserves.
* "Daring Don't", if Daring Do shows up in a two-parter.

All of those could potentially be important, but Equestria Girls isn't important to the show until it is. In any case, Equestria Girls as a concept is often a step too far even for people who like the show, as shown by some people in this very thread. Given that, and that it's currently completely unneeded to watch the show, I prefer making it clear that it's completely optional until it isn't. I think that not listing the movies as recommended, but still including long descriptions, is a good compromise.

And if the movies, or any of the episodes I listed, become important, we'll deal with that next year. (If you guys want to).

Cheerilee

I think we all know that Trixie is going to replace Sparkle Twilight sooner or later, and when she does you're going to have to gold Boast Busters and Magic Duel.

Now one common complaint I am willing to address is the fact that the season 4 key episodes aren't properly labeled. I was going to suggest this earlier, but I didn't want to burden Paullo, until I saw that enough people cared about it.

Paullo, could you add this text to the following episodes?

Rarity Takes Manehattan: Rarity finds her key to the locked chest.
Rainbow Falls: * Rainbow finds her key to the locked chest.
Pinkie Pride: Pinkie finds her key to the locked chest.
It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: * Fluttershy finds her key to the locked chest.
Leap of Faith: * Applejack finds her key to the locked chest.

Since the guide was done as an album, it should be easy to swap out images on my end.

Orcastar

Pony fans just seem to have some weirdly strong opinions about the EG movies. On one hand you've got people like that commenter on Derpibooru calling the episode guide shit because EG is not designated as important, on the other hand you've got popular fan artists getting tons of negative feedback for daring to include a throwaway line of dialogue in their comic suggesting that the EG movies are canon. It's just baffling sometimes.

PaulloDEC

Now one common complaint I am willing to address is the fact that the season 4 key episodes aren't properly labeled. I was going to suggest this earlier, but I didn't want to burden Paullo, until I saw that enough people cared about it.

Paullo, could you add this text to the following episodes?

Rarity Takes Manehattan: Rarity finds her key to the locked chest.
Rainbow Falls: * Rainbow finds her key to the locked chest.
Pinkie Pride: Pinkie finds her key to the locked chest.
It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: * Fluttershy finds her key to the locked chest.
Leap of Faith: * Applejack finds her key to the locked chest.

Since the guide was done as an album, it should be easy to swap out images on my end.

No probs, I'll jump on this in about 30 mins.

Pony fans just seem to have some weirdly strong opinions about the EG movies. On one hand you've got people like that commenter on Derpibooru calling the episode guide shit because EG is not designated as important, on the other hand you've got popular fan artists getting tons of negative feedback for daring to include a throwaway line of dialogue in their comic suggesting that the EG movies are canon. It's just baffling sometimes.

I think that's just dorks/geeks in general, really. There's always those people in any fandom who have weirdly strong feelings on issues that most others wouldn't give a second thought to.

EDIT: Updated S4 image is now on my Google Drive. CLICKY HERE. Let me know if I goofed anything.

It looks good. I swapped out the image in the Imgur album, and on Derpibooru, I uploaded the new image and labeled the old one as a duplicate.

With work on the guide over, I suppose I should get back to what I usually do in these threads.

PMV - Party of Four. A nice short animation, though as a heads up, it's set to a Glee cover song. The shipping with Sugar Belle and Party Favor is because it's attached to a tumblr about them.

ED highlights the -Licious meme, notable for how the actual show VAs were involved in some videos and how it actually got into the show (in "Pinkie Apple Pie").

Why
why_by_underpable-d9mri71.png
Feeding Time
Old joke, but this is a new variation and the art is nice

Just noticed that the MLP Wiki actually has summaries of the chapter books. Most of them seem boring, but the Daring Do series and the Celestia book seem good. I think DrForester would be interested in that last one.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just noticed that the MLP Wiki actually has summaries of the chapter books. Most of them seem boring, but the Daring Do series and the Celestia book seem good. I think DrForester would be interested in that last one.

I've read the Celestia book. It's quite nice. Works a lot like the Celestia Micro series. It's a look at how she operates as a leader and teacher.

Ted Cruz's favorite pony is Applejack.
I’ve just jumped from a hay bale to the upper rung of a bleacher seat — it’s the only way I can see Cruz, surrounded by fans, cameras and boom mics. Now I’m looking down, and the Texan with slicked-back hair, a rugged outdoorsman’s jacket and hiking shoes is talking about ponies. “What’s your favorite My Little Pony?” Cruz asks his tiny supporter, a little girl who is wearing a Rainbow Dash beanie. ”Twilight,” she says. “I have two daughters, and they love Twilight,” Cruz says, before adding, with a grin: “My favorite, though, is Applejack. I just think she’s funny.”

EDIT: ED's spotlight of Dr. Hooves, which contains a short interview with Peter New (his voice). He was going for a David Tennant imitation, and he was please with the result, though he admits he wasn't too close. The character was written as a Doc Brown imitation, but Peter New was the one who convinced them to do more Doctor Who stuff, and added "allons-y" and such.

ED showcases the PONIES the Anthology series. It was interesting watching the first one again, with how it only used season 1 clips. I forgot about memes from that time like "double rainbow", "secret BUT fun", and "confound these (ponies), they drive me to drink!". For the second one, I skipped the long 2001 segment, remembering how dull it was the first time around. I'm in the middle of III now, and it still has a great intro.

Big Rainbow Dash art dump.

Also, cute animation, but SEASON 6 PREMIERE SPOILERS.

PaulloDEC

ED showcases the PONIES the Anthology series. It was interesting watching the first one again, with how it only used season 1 clips. I forgot about memes from that time like "double rainbow", "secret BUT fun", and "confound these (ponies), they drive me to drink!". For the second one, I skipped the long 2001 segment, remembering how dull it was the first time around. I'm in the middle of III now, and it still has a great intro.

Big Rainbow Dash art dump.

Also, cute animation, but SEASON 6 PREMIERE SPOILERS.

There's been some cool stuff in the Anthologies over the years. I thought the most recent one was actually maybe the best yet.

Some great stuff in the art dump, too. Noticed lots of old favourites in among the newer ones.

Idea for the episode guides:

More color codes or other identifiers for the non-Twilight character's reoccurring subplot continuity.

I.E.

Rainbow Dash wants to join the Wonderbolts
Friendship is Magic
The Ticket Master
Sonic Rainboom
The Best Night Ever
Wonderbolts Academy
Rainbow Falls
Testing Testing 1, 2, 3

Rarity wants to be famous and set up shop in big cities
Suited for Success
A Dog and Pony Show
Sweet and Elite
Rarity Takes Manehattan
Canterlot Boutique

The immediate problem that jumps out re-reading these episode lists is of course, the continuity is weak until the later seasons and the more I think about it, Rarity's episodes don't really comprise a real story arc, to say nothing of the lack of any equivalent long term goal being worked toward with continuity based episodes for Pinkie or Fluttershy.

Rainbow seems to be actually moving toward her goal as her episodes progress, but she's the only besides Twilight given that.

Rainbow Dash's Wonderbolts story is a bit odd in that many of the episodes that feature major developments don't actually focus much on the Wonderbolts or have a different character as the focus. "The Best Night Ever" introduces the main Wonderbolts but the episode is an ensemble, "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" has Rainbow join the Wonderbolts Reserves but doesn't actually show any of the modern Wonderbolts, and "Rarity Investigates" is the first episode where Rainbow actually flies with the Wonderbolts as a member but it's focused on Rarity. Still, I see the argument for more strongly emphasizing the episodes you listed.

As for Rarity, the only real arc (besides character development) I can see is "Friendship is Magic - Part 1" and then "Canterlot Boutique". The other episodes you listed are more thematically connected than connected by story. In any case, I feel like there's a decent chance that the latter episode will end up becoming important following season 6.

Regardless, I really feel it's best to leave the episode guide alone for now, especially since I'm rather tired of it. I'd hold off on any major revisions until after season 6 (or in the mid season break, if we're feeling antsy).

PaulloDEC

Rainbow Dash's Wonderbolts story is a bit odd in that many of the episodes that feature major developments don't actually focus much on the Wonderbolts or have a different character as the focus. "The Best Night Ever" introduces the main Wonderbolts but the episode is an ensemble, "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" has Rainbow join the Wonderbolts Reserves but doesn't actually show any of the modern Wonderbolts, and "Rarity Investigates" is the first episode where Rainbow actually flies with the Wonderbolts as a member but it's focused on Rarity. Still, I see the argument for more strongly emphasizing the episodes you listed.

As for Rarity, the only real arc (besides character development) I can see is "Friendship is Magic - Part 1" and then "Canterlot Boutique". The other episodes you listed are more thematically connected than connected by story. In any case, I feel like there's a decent chance that the latter episode will end up becoming important following season 6.

Regardless, I really feel it's best to leave the episode guide alone for now, especially since I'm rather tired of it. I'd hold off on any major revisions until after season 6 (or in the mid season break, if we're feeling antsy).

Yup, I'm well and truly done with it for now too. Always good to have feedback though, so maybe remind us again in a years time!

I haven't read any MLP fanfics of decent length, and I hadn't had any interest, but for some reason, this story, "The Enchanted Library", really caught my attention when ED made a post about it. Just something about the image and the description.

v2fx-1432599557-240255-full.jpg

Everypony enjoys myths and ponytales, even if they know such things aren't real. Princesses fighting against a spirit of chaos? A princess trapped in a library under a tree, waiting to be found? Quite enchanting and fantastic tales yes, but nonetheless as fictional as Daring Do and other such stories, right? Well, Rarity used to think that, too.
She doesn't anymore.

It's a RariTwi story, and I'm not particularly interested in that ship (or any ship), but this seems like a sweet story, and people say it's good. I'm not a fan of the fact that Discord appears to be the villain, but whatever, AU. Incidentally, I wasn't a fan of Discord as a villain in fanworks even before he turned good (including in Moonstuck), because he was usually presented as far more menacing than felt right.

I don't actually have the time to read it now, and I haven't read any of it yet, but I thought I'd make a post due to my unexpected reaction.

Sciz

It's a RariTwi story, and I'm not particularly interested in that ship (or any ship), but this seems like a sweet story, and people say it's good. I'm not a fan of the fact that Discord appears to be the villain, but whatever, AU. Incidentally, I wasn't a fan of Discord as a villain in fanworks even before he turned good (including in Moonstuck), because he was usually presented as far more menacing than felt right.

I don't actually have the time to read it now, and I haven't read any of it yet, but I thought I'd make a post due to my unexpected reaction.

It's a long way off from being finished, but yeah, pretty decent story if you're looking for Rarity adventure fics. The shipping's relatively low key so far, at least by the author's usual standards.

It's a long way off from being finished, but yeah, pretty decent story if you're looking for Rarity adventure fics. The shipping's relatively low key so far, at least by the author's usual standards.

Oh, I don't have a problem with shipping, I just don't have a particular preference and I don't seek out shipping fanworks. I'd be quite fine with adorable romance scenes.

Alright, I lied about how much free time I had, and I ended up reading the first two chapters of "The Enchanted Library" (and the interlude between them), and I enjoyed it well enough to continue. Rarity is written well, and the changes in how the world is set up are pretty interesting. I like the idea of how the four princesses have passed into legend and thus no one knows their names or what their cutie marks were, so each town came up with their own names and designs.

There were some problems, though. I already mentioned my distaste for Discord as a villain in fanworks, and indeed he is more cruel and menacing than I like, at least from the fairy tale and Twilight's reactions. Speaking of which, Twilight wasn't quite our Twilight, but it's likely that she'll get closer to the show version as the story goes on, so I won't count that as a flaw yet. Rarity's encounter with the old pony outside the library was overly convenient. I have a pet peeve about the common fanfic problem of not knowing how long a minute is--Rarity standing there not responding for three minutes is a really long time! But most of all, there was a distinct lack of ponies blushing adorably >_>.

One thing I think is important to consider for fanfics is whether they actually benefit from being, well, fanfics or if they would have been better off making minor changes to become standalone. I think this story does benefit from being a fanfic, since much of the interest in the world comes from the changes to the Equestria we already know, and of course, exposition is cut down due to the expectation that we'd be familiar with the things that aren't changed. However, so far at least, I believe it wouldn't take much to make it an original story.

That brings me to the thought that this story actually seems like it could work as the basis of MLP G5, with some changes. The adventure premise being set up by the fanfic is that Rarity has to go out and return books lost from the enchanted library in order to help release Twilight from it. I've had the gut feeling for a while that the next TV series will actually lean more heavily into the adventure aspect than FiM, and a story where the heroes journey across lands, making friends, while gathering MacGuffins to free an ancient trapped princess seems like it could work.

PaulloDEC

Seeing as how all the cool kids were doing it, I figured I'd have a little read too. I've only done the first chapter, but was pleasantly surprised. Characters are on-point, and the author does a really nice job with descriptions and scene-setting. The AU tweaks are interesting, if a little odd.

Might read on a little over the next few days.

Equestria Girls Minis shorts: Rarity. This video is in Polish, which shouldn't matter because there's no dialogue, but the noises Rarity makes are very obviously not from her US voice. Oh, and like usual, it's only 10 seconds long without bumpers. It was alright, I guess.

ED's interview with Thom Zahler, who worked on several issues. The interview is interesting. Some things are:
* He started working on the comic because his girlfriend was a fan of the show, and he offered to IDW to do some covers to impress her. Bobby Curnow gave him the opportunity to write a story, and because it was a job, he said yes. He hadn't watched the series until that point.
* The Twilight microseries issue went through the following permutations: Twilight waiting in line for an author signing, and the author never shows up, but Twilight decides she enjoyed waiting in the line anyway, rejected because it sounded boring; and Twilight discovering that an author of a book series isn't going to put out the next book so she decides to track her down, rejected because of "Daring Don't".
* He does regret some of his art decisions for that issue, which were partially due to being unfamiliar with some of the less obvious rules of pony designs. For example, he made Jade Singer larger than Twilight to show that she was older, not realizing that Twilight was already fully grown.
* The Fluttershy / Zecora Friends Forever issue started out as a Zecora microseries issue pitch that would explain why she chose to live in the woods (because she gets up to dangerous experiments). The Friends Forever issue grew out of the realization that if Discord is Q, then Zecora could be Guinan. He also wanted a story that demonstrated Fluttershy and Discord being friends, since the show wouldn't have an episode just about that.
* The Trixie / Rainbow Dash Friends Forever issue came out of him reading a bio of Trixie that described her as Harry Mudd from Star Trek. From that, he realized that Rainbow Dash was like Captain Kirk.
* He came up with the "Night of the Living Apples" story because he wanted a story centered on Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity. While he was brainstorming, people kept asking for Flutterbat commissions at conventions. He was behind on episodes, so he was confused until he looked it up. He was trying to ride her popularity by including the part in the story where everyone turns into vampires.
* He regrets not acting on the popularity of Power Ponies earlier, since superhero stuff is right in his wheelhouse.
* The reason why the ponies didn't try to eat the Living Apples is because they are living things. I don't actually remember, once everyone turned into vampires, did they eat the apples anyway?

There is also a link to a panel reading of Friends Forever #5 (Fluttershy & Zecora), with Fluttershy and Zecora's VAs. Are there more readings like this?

EDIT: Well, I didn't expect this ship, but I guess it works.

EDIT: Super cute animation for SEASON 6 SPOILER HORSE.

I just discovered MrEnter's animation critique work and his MLP reviews, and his analysis' have made me realize that a lot of episodes that I had once only considered "meh" and forgot about are worse than I thought when you take the time to think about the logic and character portrayals.

Have we done worst episode rankings in a while?

10. MMMystery on the Friendship Express
9. Somepony to Watch Over Me
8. Owls Well That Ends Well
7. Spike At Your Service
6. The Cutie Pox
5. Apple Family Reunion
4. Power Ponies
3. Putting Your Hoof Down
2. Dragon Quest
1. The Mysterious Mare Do Well

I just discovered MrEnter's animation critique work and his MLP reviews, and his analysis' have made me realize that a lot of episodes that I had once only considered "meh" and forgot about are worse than I thought when you take the time to think about the logic and character portrayals.

Have we done worst episode rankings in a while?

10. MMMystery on the Friendship Express
9. Somepony to Watch Over Me
8. Owls Well That Ends Well
7. Spike At Your Service
6. The Cutie Pox
5. Apple Family Reunion
4. Power Ponies
3. Putting Your Hoof Down
2. Dragon Quest
1. The Mysterious Mare Do Well

I've heard that most MLP fan analyzers are really bad about nitpicking, and that MrEnter was the worst about this, though he stopped after season 4. The guy that uses a griffon avatar is pretty decent for at least his general analysis videos, though.

I really have to disagree with a lot of your list. I quite like "Power Ponies" and "Somepony to Watch Over Me" (which I actually watched again just last week), and "The Cutie Pox", "Owl's Well That Ends Well", and "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" are fine.

As for episodes I dislike, an unranked list formed just by looking at our episode list.
121. Over a Barrel
208. The Mysterious Mare Do Well
219. Putting Your Hoof Down
221. Dragon Quest
310. Spike at Your Service
510. Princess Spike

Though like I say in the intro for the guide, even these episodes have things to enjoy about them.

Wow, I like Putting Your Hoof down. It's like the one good Merriweather Williams episode.
Nah, the worst episodes are:
Over a Barrel
Dragon Quest
Mysterious Mare-Do-Well
MMMystery On the Friendship Express
What About Discord?
But the absolute worst of the whole lot is It Ain't Easy Being Breezie. Abysmal episode. Blech.

PaulloDEC

Let's see.

• Spike at Your Service
• Mysterious Mare-Do-Well
• Keep Calm and Flutter On
• Princess Spike (maybe)

There's a decent handful of others that just sorta aren't my jam, like Power Ponies or Dragon Quest, but I'd hesitate to call them the worst.

Also apparently I'm controversial, because I really love MMMystery On the Friendship Express. Come at me.

Wow, I like Putting Your Hoof down. It's like the one good Merriweather Williams episode.

Agreed, I really dig that one.

brian577

Banned
For the last 4 seasons there has been one episode each season that I absolutely hated.

MMMystery on the Friendship Express
Keep Calm and Flutter On
Testing, Testing, 123
The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows

draetenth

I don't have the best of memory so I can't really remember most of the episodes anymore, but I know Mysterious Mare-Do-Well was the worst because of how out of character everyone seemed and the plot/resolution was so bad.

That Discord one from season 5 (the one where he made "friends" with everyone except Twilight in some plot to get at her or something) is right behind it. Everything was so forced in the episode and people changed their views too quickly (and everyone seriously believed Discord right away over Twilight? Discord? The one who betrayed them in the previous season? Discord? Spirit of Chaos? After like two fucking days alone?) Ugh, I wish I could forget that episode.

I really have to disagree with a lot of your list.

Damn, I loved all but one of those!
WCW.gif

Incidentally, while trying to find that gif, I came across NeoGAF's Know Your Meme article, and wow, it's hilariously biased against the site. It even complains about a particular user being banned for being a Gamergater.

Bunch of book descriptions, but the Cadance and Starlight books (which we already know about) have descriptions that just describe the characters and not the plots. The interesting ones are the Equestria Girls books:

Equestria Girls 6

Description:
Picking up where Equestria Girls: The Friendship Games leaves off, this original
story follows Twilight Sparkle as she leaves Crystal Prep Academy behind for her
new school, Canterlot High.

Releasing May 3, 2016

Odd that a numbered Equestria Girls book is going to be a book-original story, since the Sunset Shimmer book wasn't numbered.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Journal

Description:
Find out what it was like when Principal Celestia and her sister Vice Principal
Luna were students at Canterlot High School — in their own words!

Releasing May 17th 2016

I'm surprised that the journal is about Celestia and Luna. I feel like they're trying to mirror the Journal of the Two Sisters, but that actually covered stuff fans were curious about. I can't imagine this being that interesting, since there's nothing interesting about Dougworld Celestia and Luna, but there might be something unexpected.

EDIT: Cute comic with SEASON 6 SPOILER HORSE.

Top Bottom