• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Season 5: My Dear Friends (embedded version might be too small to read)
season_5__my_dear_friends_by_esuka-d9x78ex.png

This artist made art for every episode since season 3, but they've decided not to for this season due to the effort. No fandom quitting, though, so they'll still be making fanart in general.

PaulloDEC

Village

two things

Thanks sigmasonic for posting that transformers clip, I have... never seen that show before. I like the art style, I am now investigating.

Recent events in the show are confirming my Shining armor headcanon.

I sent a link of that to EQD this morning. A non-fan review of the series is pretty interesting. No clue if they'll post it though.

It might just take a bit of time and just show up in the Nightly Roundup, but they will probably post it. As for the review, I haven't fully watched it yet, but just to stay on theme, I would have preferred he just reviewed the vaguely sci-fi episodes, like the season bookends and "It's About Time" (which is included).
EDIT: It was put in an April Fools roundup post.

On another note, Sunshine and Moonbeams is updating again!
Starting again
Return
April Fools

Adorable Pony Amie video (based on the Pokemon petting minigame)

ED's Eurobeat Brony showcase. The songs are in a random order, apparently.

The 2014 MLP manga has finally been fully translated. I won't link it, but I will embed the character introduction 4-komas, which are adorable and... oddly shippy. They are on the left side of two-page spreads introducing the characters.

I find the Rarity one hilarious in that without the text, it looks like Rarity is trying to decide if she loves Applejack or Twilight more. And with the text, Twilight outright tells Rarity she loves her. With the Fluttershy one, I'm honestly surprised the show itself hasn't done a joke like that.

As for the stories, "Welcome to Ponyville" was boring, but had a nice annoyed expression from Twilight in the final panel. In "Pinkie Pie Loves Parties", the last panel of the first page is great. In "Leave the Dresses to Rarity", it actually is funny seeing everyone act so cheap, bringing bags to take home the free food from Celestia's party instead of dresses. Also, Rarity making the gala dresses out of the bags is pure hax. "The Other Fluttershy" was cute. "Applejack's Signature Move" portrays her as oddly incompetent. "Don't Give Up, Rainbow Dash" surprisingly features good Discord (though they think he turned evil again at first), despite season 3 never airing in Japan. "Friends are Always Close" oddly features Applejack being a pest to Twilight.

"The Titter Tree" is the famous weird one, a few pages from which I posted a while ago, where Twilight thinks it's a good idea to bring a tree alive. Before Twilight just uses a spell, Rarity tries to seduce it, Applejack tries to feed it jam, Pinkie tries to party with it, and Rainbow kicks it, none of them appearing to realize it's just a tree. I was confused before why a page with the tree had so many shoujo sparkles and bubbles, but the fact that Twilight is casting her spell on that page explains it a bit. Twilight also decides that it's somehow a good idea to use magic to give the titter tree legs and bring it to Ponyville, where Rose actually makes a cameo. And here's where the tree falls in love with Twilight's library. I previously assumed that Twilight was channeling herself through the library to talk to the tree, but no, she straight up brought the library to life. Twilight says that she's willing to move the library to be closer to the tree, and the library indeed isn't in Ponyville at the end, so I guess Tirek destroyed a completely different tree library. Also, Celestia randomly appears to congratulate Twilight for being a good wingmare, and Rainbow Dash proceeds to accidentally bore a hole into the titter tree and Twilight decides to just make it a new room for herself.

"My Future Darling" thankfully didn't have any Brad. "Granny's Cap", to my surprise, actually provided an explanation for why a timberwolf howl heralds the start of zap apple season in "Family Appreciation Day": that specific timberwolf is Granny Smith's friend. "Out of the Limelight" features Rarity, Pinkie, and Rainbow breaking down (Pinkie with straight hair) and immediately recovering. Lame ending, really. It should have just ended with the weirdness of "The Titter Tree".

Overall, cute art, but really only the 4-komas and the weird as hell "The Titter Tree" are worth checking out.

PaulloDEC

Those little intro comics are quite funny and/or weird. I liked the gag about Fluttershy's hoof being impractical as a pointing device. Might have a look at the main event later tonight.

Unrelated neat art:

Cheerilee

I find the Rarity one hilarious in that without the text, it looks like Rarity is trying to decide if she loves Applejack or Twilight more. And with the text, Twilight outright tells Rarity she loves her.

Rarity is deciding which path to follow, Applejack to the mountains, or Twilight to the sea. She's listing the "cons" of both. Then with no transition, she's at the sea and shocked to see Twilight drowning. She saves Twilight and earns Twilight's love.

It's part of her mental process. She just visualized one of the "pros" in her decision. If she goes to the sea, then...
panels 3 and 4 are backwards?

I really like this humanization of Twilight. The second outfit comes from the original Tumblr post.
tumblr_o2ntmmOLOx1spedcuo2_400.png
tumblr_o2ntmmOLOx1spedcuo1_400.png

The artist also has a lot of other good humanizations and other MLP art, but as a heads up, there's a fair bit of cheesecake. Also, he appears to be one of those weird artists that still refuses to draw Twilight as an alicorn and it looks like he doesn't even draw characters introduced after season 2, and his art doesn't appear to include references to the actual show. Maybe he's one of those fandom-only fans I've heard of, who don't watch the show. Still weird to think that those exist.

After getting the new MLP comic Humble Bundle, I decided that in addition to the art books I donated to get, I might as well read the comic issues I had previously skipped.

Art Gallery - Some really nice art here, particularly from Sara Richard.
Cover Gallery #1 - Nice to see these old covers again.
A Canterlot Wedding - Decided to check out one of the episode screencap comics. It's sort of interesting how they handle skipping over songs, added dialogue, and skip some things. Not enough to bother reading the others. By the way, they did give individual panels to Twilight shaking her butt in front of not!Cadance's face.
Adventures in Friendship volume #1 - Just a repackaging of previous issues, nothing to see here besides the covers.

Art is Magic - Wow, this is a long one. While I've seen it before, it's nice to get a close look at the cover. Generally in the book, I found it more interesting when earlier versions of art were presented instead of just the final form. For Tony Fleecs, I notice that his art generally seems much more striking before it is colored, particularly due to his black outlines being replaced with show-style colored outlines. Jay P. Fosgitt's audition sketch from the start of his section is cute, with Twilight serving a volleyball with her back legs. I hadn't realized that Agnes Garbowska colored all of her own art, using watercolor (that's corrected digitally). That really makes me appreciate her work more. It was interesting to note that Brenda Hickey's MLP art style has changed, when comparing the examples of later art to her earlier art on the comic. With Andy Price's section, it was made obvious just how absurdly detailed his art got in contrast to the previous artists. It's a good thing he's sticking around, even if Katie Cook isn't. Sara Richard is up there in the detail territory too, though it's hard to compare their styles and she has only done covers and one short story.

Since I already posted this accidentally, I'll let you guys see what I wrote so far. Actual comic issues coming up.

EDIT:
Equestria Girls Special - Some of the expressions are kind of creepy, particularly with Rarity. On the other hand, Dougworld Harshwhinny actually worked out well, probably because she has a humanesque skin tone. Babs Seed being older than Applejack is still so weird. Fluttershy's design works so much better when she's wearing something over her normal top that it's crazy. It is amusing that this issue offers a half-explanation for why the majority of girls in Dougworld wear skirts only: according to Rarity, skirts are coming back in style. I noticed that sometimes, Applejack is orange, and other times, she has a human skin tone. Huh, this comic actually includes the Shadowbolts, though of course it's just a coincidence. It's weird that Rarity would choose to leave Babs and that other girl when they snap at Fluttershy during the soccer match as opposed to earlier when they snapped at her for wanting to sit with Rarity.

As for the story, it was still very trite and uninteresting, and doubly meaningless due to the supposed strong bonds made being easily broken off screen in time for the first movie.

Equestria Girls Holiday Special - Huh, odd that they both have this separately and have it packaged with the first special in the bundle. I guess ED was right to list "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer" as not being included.

I was going to say the faces are better here, but then Rarity's first panel gave her a creepy face. This time around, it seems to be Fluttershy and Sunset who are getting moments of human skin tones. At the start of the second slumber party, the two panels of Applejack reacting to a car honk and Rarity saying to get in remind me a lot of the "Get in, we're going to Hot Topic" comic. Is it a reference? It's weird that Trixie's brief scene presents her as a villain out to cause chaos.

Making the CMC the online harasser was a huge breach of character for them. That, combined with the over-the-top way everyone treats Sunset, really brings down the story. That said, the parts with everyone just hanging out at the slumber parties were decently fun.

FIENDship is Magic #3 - Sirens - Yeah, that was pretty lame. The Sirens and Starswirl get into a comedy routine until he gets bored and banishes them to another dimension. Plus, this is the one FIENDship story where the villains aren't presented seriously.

FIENDship is Magic #4 - Nightmare Moon - First off, I just don't like the idea that the Elements of Harmony sent Nightmare Moon to the moon, where she could just continue to do evil, instead of sealing her away in the moon. Anyway, cute that one of the dream nyx is named Gaiman. If you, well, ignore the concept, then it was alright.

Friends Forever #1 - Pinkie and Applejack - Yeah, the art is pretty weak. Wait, the idea is that Applejack accidentally entered a cooking competition against Pinkie, and didn't know what the latter was in a hurry for, but the other Main Six are already in the audience to cheer the latter on. Why didn't Applejack know about the competition? Anyway, this was a really unfocused story that just got silly at the end when Marine Sandwich attached with a freeze gun.

Friendship is Magic #26 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ponies part 2 - Art was good, but seriously, this is how our heroes defeat an outlaw gang? With bureaucracy and lies? And of course, the bulls literally attacking people isn't enough to get Twilight to act, but destroying a barn after it was declared a historic landmark is.

FiM #27-28 - The Revenge of Everfree - Another potentially interesting story, albeit one we've seen before in the show, instead goes in a more boring and bureaucratic direction. Why are the vines and monsters acting up more in the places where the amusement park isn't being built, anyway? Like, sure, the ground can't support plants anymore, but the vines are long and there's nothing stopping the monsters. It's also annoying how Rarity and Rainbow Dash keep expressing interest in the park; they'd usually keep their eye on the prize more with the stakes this high. Anyway, art was good, but everything involving the amusement park was weak, particularly in how Twilight could apparently do nothing about it on her own.

Huh, I thought I skipped more comics than that, but I guess not. Overall, there's no comic I regret not buying earlier. The art books were good, though.

==

Hasbro's YouTube page posted this MLP-inspired song by a French kids group called Kids United. I feel like I'm missing some context. The song is pretty standard.

PaulloDEC

I love NCMares stuff. I'm still waiting for a TV episode where the four Princesses have to pull an all-nighter to solve some bureaucratic spill and all end up as messy and cranky as NC depicts them.

After getting the new MLP comic Humble Bundle, I decided that in addition to the art books I donated to get, I might as well read the comic issues I had previously skipped.

*Snipped*

Nice impressions! I didn't know about that "Art is Magic" issue, might have to pick it up.

As for the other ones, I'd mostly agree. The Sirens "Fiendship" issue is a mess from start to finish and Nightmare Moon's "Fiendship" continues the whole "oh no, she was just literally walking around on the moon" thing, which sucks.

Revenge of Everfree and Good/Bad/Ponies are both just kinda bleh stories IMO.

Sciz

FIENDship is Magic #4 - Nightmare Moon - First off, I just don't like the idea that the Elements of Harmony sent Nightmare Moon to the moon, where she could just continue to do evil, instead of sealing her away in the moon.

and Nightmare Moon's "Fiendship" continues the whole "oh no, she was just literally walking around on the moon" thing, which sucks.

It's even literally one of the first things ever stated in the series:

"Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon."

Pronouns, people.

PaulloDEC

You can also say "in the United States". I guess?

That's true, but when you talk about a country you tend to think of it more in terms of a community rather than a physical object. A person can be "in" a community.

When you talk about the moon or the sun or whatever, it's typically the object you're thinking of.

Cheerilee

Saw this posted in another thread.

My Little Critiques: Equestria Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GINI5IhFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIzl0dXF3qI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-O0eI4n1yY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKcLreIrco

A fan of RedLetterMedia's "Plinkett Reviews" decided (more than two years ago) to review Equestria Girls in full Plinkett style. As a fan of both RLM and MLP, I've gotta say it's really great. He nailed both parts. You might not like the droning voice or appreciate all the Plinkett references, but he puts together a really solid video on a large number of things that EQG did wrong (with maybe a few unpopular opinions, like how he thinks the cafeteria song didn't work).

Saw this posted in another thread.

My Little Critiques: Equestria Girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0GINI5IhFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIzl0dXF3qI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-O0eI4n1yY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKcLreIrco

A fan of RedLetterMedia's "Plinkett Reviews" decided (more than two years ago) to review Equestria Girls in full Plinkett style. As a fan of both RLM and MLP, I've gotta say it's really great. He nailed both parts. You might not like the droning voice or appreciate all the Plinkett references, but he puts together a really solid video on a large number of things that EQG did wrong (with maybe a few unpopular opinions, like how he thinks the cafeteria song didn't work).

Source post.
The reviewer, Tommy Oliver, sounds familiar to me, but I don't remember if he's one of those reviewers that got super nitpicky and drove himself into hating the series. Anyway, the review is entertaining enough as far as I've watched, though making fun of the weird parts of the first Equestria Girls movie is old hat at this point.
EDIT: Though there is stuff I hadn't considered, like if Mayor Mare outranks Celestia in Dougworld and why Sunset didn't steal the crown herself when she must have done so with the actual Fall Formal crown.

PaulloDEC

Man, it's been a while since I've seen anything from Tommy Oliver. Content aside, he really does do a solid job of evoking Plinkett, both in writing style and actual delivery.

Source post.
The reviewer, Tommy Oliver, sounds familiar to me, but I don't remember if he's one of those reviewers that got super nitpicky and drove himself into hating the series.

That sounds familiar. I remember I would watch his videos semi-regularly for a while, but eventually it seemed like the joy had gone for him.

Anyway, there's some valid criticism in there, and the videos are pretty funny and amusing, but criticising Equestria Girls as if it were a high-quality show made for adults is a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. We all know that's not what it is.

Cheerilee

Man, it's been a while since I've seen anything from Tommy Oliver. Content aside, he really does do a solid job of evoking Plinkett, both in writing style and actual delivery.

That sounds familiar. I remember I would watch his videos semi-regularly for a while, but eventually it seemed like the joy had gone for him.

Anyway, there's some valid criticism in there, and the videos are pretty funny and amusing, but criticising Equestria Girls as if it were a high-quality show made for adults is a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. We all know that's not what it is.

Shooting fish in a barrel is kind of the Plinkett/Phantom Menace formula.

And it's actually kind of useful because I never thought of some of these things. Like, I kind of dismissed Brad with "Whatever, I don't hate him, he's fine. It's appropriate for Twilight to have a summer romance during a vacation movie." But I never noticed how he could be replaced with anyone in the 75-second doctored photos subplot. I never noticed how Brad's past relationship with Sunset Shimmer had zero bearing on the movie (although I think it was worth it for one quick facial expression humanizing Sunset in Rainbow Rocks). Brad really was just useless arm candy (and of course he has his own car).

Also, I know that a high-quality show made for adults isn't what EQG is, but it's what it could have and should have been. That's what MLP:FIM is, although FIM keeps itself firmly grounded in "kids" territory, but EQG was deliberately skewing "more adult" than FIM, so it's a shame that EQG missed the mark and FIM ended up being smarter and more mature.

Nudull

Banned
Huh. Been a while since I was around here.

Recently bought the humble bundle, so I'm now finally catching up with the comics. :)

PaulloDEC

Well, I watched his latest MLP review, for the season 5 finale, and he still seems positive about the show, so I guess I was mistaken.

Now I'm confused. I was sure it was Tommy Oliver who did analysis videos, but I can't find them on his channel now. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. Digibrony maybe?

Shooting fish in a barrel is kind of the Plinkett/Phantom Menace formula.

And it's actually kind of useful because I never thought of some of these things. Like, I kind of dismissed Brad with "Whatever, I don't hate him, he's fine. It's appropriate for Twilight to have a summer romance during a vacation movie." But I never noticed how he could be replaced with anyone in the 75-second doctored photos subplot. I never noticed how Brad's past relationship with Sunset Shimmer had zero bearing on the movie (although I think it was worth it for one quick facial expression humanizing Sunset in Rainbow Rocks). Brad really was just useless arm candy (and of course he has his own car).

Also, I know that a high-quality show made for adults isn't what EQG is, but it's what it could have and should have been. That's what MLP:FIM is, although FIM keeps itself firmly grounded in "kids" territory, but EQG was deliberately skewing "more adult" than FIM, so it's a shame that EQG missed the mark and FIM ended up being smarter and more mature.

I don't mean to be down on the videos; I guess I just made my peace with what Equestria Girls is a while ago.

Most of the worst parts of the film are the really obvious core tenets (presumably) put into place by Hasbro. High School setting, romantic interest, prom queen stuff, etc. FiM worked because the limitations put on the creator were broad, but with EG the limitations are much, much more narrow.

Recently bought the humble bundle, so I'm now finally catching up with the comics. :)

Nice one! There's a lot to love in the comics, you've got some great stuff ahead.

Be sure to post your thoughts when you're done!

Now I'm confused. I was sure it was Tommy Oliver who did analysis videos, but I can't find them on his channel now. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. Digibrony maybe?

I looked through his videos after being linked to one of his anime videos, and he hasn't put up a MLP video in as far back as I looked (about two years). While he probably left the fandom, there's a more recent example I'm thinking of. Unless I'm really thinking of him.

==

Season 6 stuff, but for episodes that aired over a week ago.

Good piano cover of "Out on My Own" from "On Your Marks".

Comic involving Celestia and Luna bickering (based on "Gauntlet of Fire")

==

Big Jim Miller talks about Spike's age, and while it's a bit unclear what he means, he appears to be saying that while Spike is physically about the same age as Twilight, or 16-22, he is mentally 10-12, due to dragons aging slower than ponies. I think he might be getting mixed up about how old Twilight was in her flashback in "Cutie Mark Chronicles", since Spike is definitely several years younger than Twilight, but maybe he's referring to when his egg was laid.

Cheerilee

Big Jim Miller talks about Spike's age, and while it's a bit unclear what he means, he appears to be saying that while Spike is physically about the same age as Twilight, or 16-22, he is mentally 10-12, due to dragons aging slower than ponies. I think he might be getting mixed up about how old Twilight was in her flashback in "Cutie Mark Chronicles", since Spike is definitely several years younger than Twilight, but maybe he's referring to when his egg was laid.

IIRC, Lauren said that MLP ponies are like horses, which age rapidly (walking and running within hours of being born) and then settle into an adulthood that's mostly indistinguishable from other adults by around age five. All the adult ponies look pretty much the same, even though their ages can vary by decades, until suddenly they look like Granny Smith.

Fluttershy said she was one year older than Pinkie Pie, and in Cutie Mark Chronicles she looked to be one stage bigger than the other young ponies. It's probably safe to say that Fluttershy might have been 3 or 4 years old in the flashback, while the others were 2 or 3.

So by the Human calendar, Spike and Twilight are close enough in age that it's not worth mentioning (they're both somewhere around five years old). But by the Pony calendar, Twilight is a young adult, and by the Dragon calendar, Spike is just a kid.

Well, if we're going down the rabbit hole of pony ages, then it's worth bringing up "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils", where it shows Sweetie Belle's fifth birthday and she looks significantly younger, while Rarity looks the same.

Plus, at least a year has passed between the pilot and "Princess Twilight Sparkle" and the CMC didn't change in appearance.

Even if ponies age more quickly than humans, they definitely don't age the same way as real horses.

By the way, link to the Twitter conversation. From the other posts, I get the feeling that he just gave an answer without thinking too much about it (and is getting annoyed by the persistence of the asker).

Miller admits he derped and while he remembered that Spike was hatched well after Twilight was born in his head, his hands just wrote that they're the same age. He says Spike is 7-10 years younger than Twilight in pony years. As a reminder, he says the Main Six are 16-22, which means Spike is 6-15.

==

This is weird. It's a game where you take wrapped chocolate pieces and match the characters. Then you eat them. I guess that's one way to charge more for chocolate.

Also, this comic reminds me of Equestria Girls.

I usually wouldn't make another post so soon after my previous one, but I felt the need to talk about this. At BABSCon, comic writer Jeremy Whitley brought up that he'd like to see MLP turn Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy into a gay couple, and reiterated this on Twitter, saying it's more important for queer kids to know that they're not alone than to "protect" straight kids. I don't believe he's insistent on those two in particular, but just that there needs to be more representation of that sort.

He doesn't mention it, but his statement also implies the point that it's more meaningful for at least one of the main cast to be queer than for that to be relegated to the background. I like Lyra and Bon Bon as much as the next guy, but I feel it sends a stronger message if them and some major characters show interest in the same sex. Personally, I'm all for Twilight being gay or bi, and it's doubly meaningful with the main character herself not being straight. In Dougworld, pair her up with Sunset Shimmer. In Ponyland, she has more options, but due to recent fanfic bias, I'll go with Rarity. Brad gets no one. If it can't be done in G4, then do it in G5.

The part that made me want to post is included in the ED link, where a guy complains about this to Jim Miller, saying that stuff like this is why people don't like the new Powerpuff Girls, and that if they want to include LGBTQ representation, they should create a new IP instead of adding it to an old one. Both of these statements are absolutely absurd. For the record, Miller agrees with what Whitley is saying about representation, but actually pulling the trigger is beyond his pay grade.

draetenth

Well, we just had a tweet from Faust posted back in March where she claims a season 1 character is transgendered so there is a possible precedence.

The part that made me want to post is included in the ED link, where a guy complains about this to Jim Miller, saying that stuff like this is why people don't like the new Powerpuff Girls, and that if they want to include LGBTQ representation, they should create a new IP instead of adding it to an old one. Both of these statements are absolutely absurd. For the record, Miller agrees with what Whitley is saying about representation, but actually pulling the trigger is beyond his pay grade.

Honestly, this guy sounds like he may have issues. I can understand taking issues with how something was implemented, but it seems wrong and (whatever)phobic to not to want it implemented at all.

This post from the GAF thread on how the new PPG show is bad sums up why people were having issues with the way things were implemented (hint it was how it was done, not that it was done at all). There are also numerous other issues people have (animation problems, new VA's when the originals like Tara Strong were willing to come back, they edit out the hits).

Personally, I'm on the side that it's fine if they want to include things like this anywhere, but I want it to be done well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That guy constantly harasses Jim and the rest of the staff on Twitter, especially when anyone on the comics crew says, well, anything.

I'm honestly shocked Jim hasn't ignored him.

Even if the show can't actually include homosexuality at this point, I feel like they can afford to push a bit in places that don't involve sexual attraction. I hope that at one point they show Big Mac and Marble dating, and Big Mac is wearing his dress from "Brotherhooves Social" but both he and Marble are completely comfortable with it. Leave it in the background or make the entire episode about Big Mac being ashamed about his crossdressing until Marble reveals she's fine with it, either one could be good.

==

Good remix / medley of all of the CMC songs. I'm not sure why the image is of the Dougworld CMC when there are no Equestria Girls songs.

Pretty unique remix of "Find a Way" (from "Magical Mystery Cure")

Cute Fluttercord comic that uses the old fanon that background pony Screwball is Discord's daughter.

Good Ember plushie
FORSALEPrincessEmberCustomPlushbyNazegoreng1461576149259.png

PaulloDEC

I'm a fan of the extremely light touch the production team have taken with romantic themes in FiM, and I'd like for that to continue, honestly. That being said, I'd be perfectly fine with any of the Mane 6 turning out to be gay, or bi, or whatever else.

Romance between members of the Mane 6, though? I'd prefer not. The core of the show is a friendship between six ponies, and I'd rather they didn't complicate that by tossing romance into the mix.

The Humble Bundle has updated with the 2013 and 2014 Annual Specials, which means I'm able to read "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer", which is included in the former but not the Equestria Girls collection.

One bit of trivia is that due to leaks, the first Equestria Girls movie was released much earlier than planned; we weren't supposed to even learn about it until the Comic Con where this comic story was given out in limited quantities, according to Katie Cook. This is what was meant to be our first exposure to Sunset Shimmer. Given that, I expect the big magic showings by her in this story would have led to even greater disappointment about how she's handled in the first movie, where her biggest magic feat unaided is teleportation.

And of course, there's what are now continuity issues with Twilight's classmates being presented as much older than her, and Moon Dancer looking completely unlike herself from the show. Still, I like the Moon Dancer design here. Also in terms of art, it's good in general here, and I like all the book titles and references in the library scene.

As for the story, it's fine, but almost completely irrelevant to the first Equestria Girls movie, or really anything about Sunset Shimmer after that point. The only times that the fact that she was Celestia's student are relevant are to explain how she could know stuff about the Element of Magic in the first movie (which still isn't really explained), and to provide a cop-out for how Twilight could get back to Dougworld in the second movie. Even in the "I want to go back to Equestria" subplot that was mostly cut out of Friendship Games, no one brings up Celestia.

==

Random thought, but you know what comic issue I'd love to see, despite not being too keen on Equestria Girls? Friends Forever - Princess Twilight Sparkle & Twilight Sparkle. That is to say, an issue where pony Twilight shows Dougworld Twilight around Equestria. I'm imagining a scene where SciTwi comes through the portal and becomes embarrassed about the fact that she isn't wearing clothes. PonyTwi points out that ponies usually don't wear clothes, but SciTwi yells, "What about her?!" and points toward Rarity, who is wearing a large dress.

PaulloDEC

I didn't know about that release-date stuff for the EG comic; makes sense in retrospect. I remember quite liking the Sunset Shimmer stuff though, especially when she challenges Celestia towards the end.

And your theoretical Twilight plus Twilight comic? I'd totally read that. That culture-shock kinda shtick (like the scenario you wrote out there) would be a lot of fun, I think.

More French comics. The first is sort of like "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows", except the odd thing where Twilight chooses that day to gather up Shining Armor's old stuff is actually explained by her learning that Cadance is pregnant. The second is a straightforward retelling of "Slice of Life", except no best friends and they oddly add Twilight and Rarity superdickery.
IMG_20160427_172036352.jpg

Days in the life of Ember and Torch.
Wee
Lords of the Rock
WeebyQueenCold1461876551425.png
LordsoftheRockbyXeviousGreenII1461876551208.jpg

Comic: Pony Shower. Of course, the actual answer is hoof hands, but still amusing.

Also, today's Drawfriend reminded me, I actually quite like the design of Lemon Zest from Friendship Games. I'd even go as far as to say the inhuman skin color works well with her hair color and uniform.
LemonZestbyRiouku1462488489552.png

Pony History: RC88's chiptune videos

It's still weird looking at these videos that used to be fandom mainstays and noticing how relatively low the view count is. Like seriously, this "Winter Wrap Up" remix was used everywhere, but it has less than a million views. Plus, this "At the Gala" remix that Daniel Ingram himself helped with? Less than half a million views.

It's also funny how you can usually clearly tell when these early fandom remixers reached the break between season 1 and 2, since they start doing remixing of random ditties. Speaking of which, it occurs to me that we really haven't had any random short Pinkie songs since season 1, have we?

PaulloDEC

Pony History: RC88's chiptune videos

It's still weird looking at these videos that used to be fandom mainstays and noticing how relatively low the view count is. Like seriously, this "Winter Wrap Up" remix was used everywhere, but it has less than a million views. Plus, this "At the Gala" remix that Daniel Ingram himself helped with? Less than half a million views.

It's also funny how you can usually clearly tell when these early fandom remixers reached the break between season 1 and 2, since they start doing remixing of random ditties. Speaking of which, it occurs to me that we really haven't had any random short Pinkie songs since season 1, have we?

I always liked those chiptune covers, but I guess they don't really have the replay value of a traditional remix or cover. People come back to those a lot, but I imagine these exist more within a "once is enough" novelty space.

Re: Pinkie's mini-songs, I guess the show kinda grew out of those. Looking back, the first season was actually much more about those smaller little musical moments than I thought it was; Cupcakes, Hush Now, Singing Telegram, So Many Wonders, Grand Galloping Gala and Twilight is my Bestest Friend are all less than a minute long, with Ghosties only a few seconds over.

Darksol

Girlfriend asked if we can watch MLP together. She obviously knew I was a fan (what with a Maud Pie tattoo and all...) but I never really brought it up with her before.

Seven episodes into the first season and she's really enjoying it. Feels good :)

Top Bottom