• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 5 |OT| 100+ episodes and better than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

draetenth

1) So, the twins no longer wear diapers or they just didn't animate them.
2) Pumpkin shushing Pinkie with her mom and Pound giving Gummy the pacifier was cute.
3) Shining Armor is bigger than I remember. He was a good deal taller than Twlight. I wonder how he compares to Big Mac.

Wasn't Pinkie Pie the one that taught Twilight the importance of keeping secrets?

This bugged me from the very start. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but I just kept thinking about it. I guess I can give somewhat of a pass for it being a far bigger deal than Rarity and Fluttershy not being happy about Fluttershy becoming a model, but other than that it seemed odd that Pinkie wouldn't know what happened if she spoiled things (fastest way to lose a friend....forever).

The episode was nothing but one tired visual gag after another. With a few good gags that ironically, didn't use Pinkie. Barrow clearly doesn't have the chops for TV writing.

Ignoring the continuity it felt a lot like a season one episode and not in a good way.

It was just another Pinkie Pie antics episode for me. Enjoyable enough, but nothing special.

Yeah, this is close to representing my thoughts on the episode. An episode like this was why I never really liked Pinkie Pie during the earlier seasons. They just turned her into a gag machine, but not in a good way. She has been better written recently.

I liked it. But I am easy to please so whateves

Nothing wrong with being easy to please. I consider myself easy to please though I wouldn't necessarily say I liked the episode. I think I'm more indifferent to the episode

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And I didn't notice Pumpkin joined in on the shushing.
1004497.gif

Given that it's been 3 seasons, it would have been neat to age those two up a tad. Give them normal eyes.

1) So, the twins no longer wear diapers or they just didn't animate them.
Even in "Baby Cakes", the Cakes didn't seem bothered by the baby Cakes going around without diapers in the end. Still, this could be an indication that they are meant to be a bit older now.

This bugged me from the very start. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but I just kept thinking about it. I guess I can give somewhat of a pass for it being a far bigger deal than Rarity and Fluttershy not being happy about Fluttershy becoming a model, but other than that it seemed odd that Pinkie wouldn't know what happened if she spoiled things (fastest way to lose a friend....forever).
Given the number of callbacks to "Green Isn't Your Color", they clearly had that episode in mind. I'm guessing the difference is just that this is exciting news (hence my earlier Thanos comparison)

Also, just realized: all of the ponies that said things suspiciously related to Cadance's pregnancy actually did know about it. Featherweight, Mayor Mare, and the crib store owner.

And more images.
tumblr_nwdsxy9DG41rja8xco1_250.gif

Wanted this to happen in the episode
1004857.png

And the follow up:
1004951.gif

PaulloDEC

Have you never found it more difficult than expected to practice what you preach? Pinkie might know the theory, but the execution is another thing entirely!

These are all great.

Surprising comic news from New York Comic Con
Amy Mebberson had the biggest news to come out of the con. She's basically retired from working in the comics industry. Which means that once her last few MLP comic covers come out, that will be it for the foreseeable future. Now put your pitchforks down and delete those angry e-mails you were about to send to her. She has a very good reason why she's pulling back on her comic work.

She's working directly for Hasbro now, and has been for the past year. She creates concept art/toy-designs for a new line of toys aimed at young girls. Best of all, you're still going to be seeing her work on EQD all the time, for the new toyline she's working on was announced by Hasbro at NYCC on the very first day. And it's something you've probably seen before.

blogger-image--1670866412.jpg

She was a little surprised when I showed her the photo of those toys, asking me where I got it, but when I answered that Hasbro just announced them, she grinned like a little school girl and "Finally! I can talk about them!" To which she did. She very happy to work with the fantastic team at Hasbro, which takes her art and refines it into the adorable dolls you see above, and she seriously cannot wait for the waves of the dolls to start rolling out. Yes, I did say waves. The chibi EQG dolls will be coming out for a while.

It's a shame that Amy Mebberson will no longer be working on comics, but I suppose this is a nice gig for her.

Also, Derpy apparently made a cameo in Disney's Sophia the First.
The pegasus in the middle also resembles Luna, but I'd be willing to say that's a coincidence.

January comic solicitations

Friendship is Magic #38
Subscription cover
Retail Incentive cover
Christina Rice (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a & c)​ • S​ara Richard​ (Subscription Variant) • Mary Bellamy (Retailer Incentive Cover)​
"Don’t You Forget About Us" part 1! The Cutiemark Crusaders hit the great outdoors with their class! When a small group becomes stranded in the wilderness it will take ingenuity and teamwork to make it back to safety!

Friends Forever #24
Subscription cover
Georgia Ball (w) • Jay Fosgitt (a) • Amy Mebberson (c)​ • Jay Fosgitt​ (Subscription Variant)​
Rarity has found a very difficult client in the form of Gilda the Griffon! Gilda demands the perfect uniform for a new sports team in Griffinstone. Rarity travels to the desolate kingdom and realizes there is more than fashion to be accomplished in the home of the Griffons!

Friendship is Magic looks like it could be fun. I'm guessing we aren't getting cutie marks for the Crusaders yet, and Diamond Tiara will still be a jerk, which makes sense considering how far in advance these comics are written. Friends Forever is an unexpected combination yet again. Considering what I said before, I'm actually surprised that good Gilda is appearing already.

In other news, Hasbro's investor conference seems to imply that we'll be getting more Equestria Girls stuff. ED took this to mean Pony in general, but the statement is pretty specifically about Equestria Girls.

PaulloDEC

Bummer news about Mebberson, I always enjoyed her artwork on the comics. Still, good for her to be moving onto cool new projects.

Speaking of, those Jan ones seem interesting. Rarity and Gilda is an especially unusual combo.

Friendship is Magic #35
The flashback portion of this issue was really interesting, and it was even nice to see the recap portions with new art. I suspect we'll get a reveal that the Umbrum don't really look like how they presented themselves to Hope.

In the present, the part where Sombra runs out of the basement cackling was rather comical. It would have been better if he had transformed into shadows as he rushed out or something. The renewed fighting was fun, especially when the Flim Flam Brothers tricked Pinkie, but I still don't get why most of these guys are doing this.

I'm sure DrForester will be quite disappointed with how Celestia and Luna show up only to be turned into stone by Sombra.

So, overall, the flashback portion was better, and the villains getting revenge portion is still rather undercooked. This story arc still looks like it will be good overall, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why even have Celestia and Luna show up if they're just turned to stone two pages later. This is the comics, not the show. The comics are supposed to be above worfing the characters like that.

BDGAME

One thing I love in this series: the things really happen!

Twi became a princess, receive a castle and functions, the crusaders obtain their cute marks and now Twi will be a ant.

If Rainbow enters the Wonderbolts and Rarity get a boyfriend, every initial problem/dream will be resolve.

One thing I love in this series: the things really happen!

Twi became a princess, receive a castle and functions, the crusaders obtain their cute marks and now Twi will be a ant.

If Rainbow enters the Wonderbolts and Rarity get a boyfriend, every initial problem/dream will be resolve.

Rainbow may as well already be in the Wonderbolts.

I don't think Rarity getting a boyfriend in general is a major goal of Rarity. She lost interest in dating royalty after meeting Blueblood, and it's not hard to imagine that she's dating a lot off screen. Nothing in the show particularly supports that, but there have been some lines in the comics that do. Her other goal mentioned in the pilot, to open a shop in Canterlot, has been reached, though.

BDGAME

Rainbow may as well already be in the Wonderbolts.

I don't think Rarity getting a boyfriend in general is a major goal of Rarity. She lost interest in dating royalty after meeting Blueblood, and it's not hard to imagine that she's dating a lot off screen. Nothing in the show particularly supports that, but there have been some lines in the comics that do. Her other goal mentioned in the pilot, to open a shop in Canterlot, has been reached, though.

True. But from the main six, she is the only one that shows interest in colts. That is why I think that she with a boyfriend can be a thing.

And suddenly preview clips again? I guess they aren't doing previews for episodes with major changes.

Not watching it yet. I'm wondering how Pinkie's other sisters will be portrayed. Will Marble and Limestone be along the lines of how Minuette was portrayed in "Amending Fences" (excitable but not Pinkie), just be sort of "normal", or be closer to Maud?

(If they're in the clip, don't tell me how they act)

Timely Promise

Also, final predictions for "Hearthbreakers". What are the chances that we'll get equivalents of the Festivus pole, the Airing of Grievances, and the Feats of Strength? I say there's a decent chance of the first (though probably just an unadorned rock instead), and the second could be pretty fun, but I'm not sure if they'd do the last.

UberTag

Well, that was certainly an improvement over Season 2's Hearth's Warming Eve.
I loved how distinct the Pie family personalities all were.
And there will undoubtedly be some Big Mac / Marble Pie shipping from the fan community... cousins or not.

That was a pretty good episode. I guess my prediction was kind of right: the Pies center their celebration on an unadorned rock, though they actually do that instead of a pole.

Marble has commonly been depicted as the shy one by fans, so that wasn't a surprise, but angry Limestone was unexpected. I didn't expect the old-timey speak from the parents, but I believe people mentioned they talked like this in the G.M. Berrow book with them. More Maud was good, too, though I thought the final joke was a bit too forced of a callback.

I liked how the Apples all got along with the Pies they were grouped with, thus allowing them to appreciate the traditions, but Applejack was just stuck with Pinkie and wasn't really experiencing anything new, and thus just saw the Pie traditions as obtrusive.

It was interesting seeing more of the Rock Farm, including the gemstone caverns. One would think that that's how they really make money, but the rock soup makes it clear that they really do farm rocks to eat. It's interesting that apparently Limestone is the one who actually runs the farm. And since her cutie mark is a lime on top of rocks, could that mean she's actually the chef of the family?

I was expecting Holder's Boulder to be wrecked somehow, but the sudden, "You put the flagpole in a fault line," from Maud was great in how contrived it was. Beyond that, it also ties into the message that Applejack should have asked about their traditions before deciding to surprise them with the Apple family traditions.

It was odd that they were pretty clearly shipping Big Mac and Marble while at the same time constantly mentioning that they may be cousins. I mean, we already know that even if they are related, it's very distant, but they don't mention that part in this episode itself. They do make an adorable pair, though. Poor Cheerilee, I expect that we'll see a fair amount of fan art depicting her and Marble as love rivals.

In general, I got a kick out of all the rock stuff. They celebrate with a big rock, they eat rocks for lunch, the presents are all just rocks, etc.

PaulloDEC

I liked this one too. I loved the characterisation of each of the other Pies, and the development of the rock farm was really neat.

It was fun to have the show developing it's own traditions to go along with Hearthswarming too; I always enjoy that kind of world-building.

It's older than that. I believe it's because they're both soft-spoken, or how a timid mare like Fluttershy might want a big strong stallion like Big Mac.

Fans are shipping Big Mac with Fluttershy? What exactly is that based on?
That she subbed in as Flutterguy when he lost his voice once?

This has actually been happening since season one. Back then, Big Mac was the only major male pony, so he was paired up with everyone, but Fluttershy was his most popular pairing up until the episode with Cheerilee. This was because both Fluttershy and Big Mac were shy, so they seemed like a good couple; really, the same justification being used for Marble and Big Mac.

And indeed, there's been a bunch of art of Pinkie's sisters already, mostly of Marble, and largely of her and Big Mac.
tumblr_nwqki6ZkGn1rgu2c4o1_500.png

UberTag

Weird. Seems like wishful thinking from the fan community. First off, two shy people don't exactly work out well in life when it comes to developing chemistry. Mainly 'cause they'll act just like Big Mac and Marble did in today's episode.

Secondly, I don't even think the Discord-Fluttershy shippers have much of a chance. For all intents and purposes, Fluttershy's already married to the ever-demanding Angel. Angel has her whipped and I don't see him allowing anyone to curb his routine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think it's a bit of a running gag at this point that all the ladies like Big Mac.

Cheerilee
Tealove
Fleetfoot
Luna
Marble Pie

Creepy old guy

UberTag

I think the only Big Mac ship I could get behind would be him and Rarity... because it would freak Rarity the hell out that she'd fall for a country stallion instead of an upper-class ritzy blue blood.

Weird. Seems like wishful thinking from the fan community. First off, two shy people don't exactly work out well in life when it comes to developing chemistry. Mainly 'cause they'll act just like Big Mac and Marble did in today's episode.

Secondly, I don't even think the Discord-Fluttershy shippers have much of a chance. For all intents and purposes, Fluttershy's already married to the ever-demanding Angel. Angel has her whipped and I don't see him allowing anyone to curb his routine.
I don't think many fans expect their ships to actually happen in the series, or for them to make much sense. It's really more about what makes for cute art. In general, many fanbases have an unusually strong thirst for romance, and they'll look for hints everywhere. Even better if it's an actual romance (unless that kills the ship entirely). Case in point, fans generally don't like Flash Sentry, but the desire for a canon romance for Twilight is so great that they pair them in fanart all the time.

What I'm saying is, shipping is so strong that it overcomes hatred for a character, so the unlikelihood of a relationship working out is nothing.

I think it's a bit of a running gag at this point that all the ladies like Big Mac.

Cheerilee
Tealove
Fleetfoot
Luna
Marble Pie

Creepy old guy

The difference is that this is the first time Big Mac seemed to show any interest in a mare, assuming that's how you take him turning away and blushing.

Speaking of which,
1. Marble is old enough for Big Mac to (maybe) find her attractive.
2. Marble is about the same age as Pinkie (a few minutes younger).
3. Cheerilee is considered a viable romantic partner for Big Mac. They are likely close in age.
Therefore, Pinkie and Cheerilee are likely close in age, with a difference of a few years at most.
Therefore, this is yet more evidence that the ages in Equestria Girls are all messed up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Cheerilee
Tealove
Fleetfoot
Luna
Marble Pie

Creepy old guy

Let's be honest. If Big Mac were human, he'd probably look like this.

geE6LDj.jpg

You try and tell me women don't find that attractive.

Looks likes the same age based The Cutiemark Chronicles

Season 1 background characters is probably not the best evidence to use.
But in this case, they depicted filly Cheerilee in Cheese Sandwich's flashback about Pinkie in "Pinkie Pride", along with specific depictions of Lyra and Bon Bon as fillies when they didn't have filly models before, so there is more evidence for that.

On another note, all of Pinkie's sisters? Same person.
1008759.png

And Planes, Trains, and Automobiles cameo
1008748.jpeg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Therefore, this is yet more evidence that the ages in Equestria Girls are all messed up.

Ages are weird in basically everything MLP related. That was obvious as early as when we discovered that Sweetie Belle is Rarity's sister. Rarity is an educated small business owner which would put her in her 20's in human years but Sweetie Belle is still a young kid basically in elementary school. The differences in ages are too great! Unless... we follow my theory where the age of maturity in Equestria is much lower than in the human world. Because we really haven't seen any evidence of a class of teenage ponies, and the human world counterparts of the Mane Six are teenagers.

Wonderful. Stupendous. Season 5 continues its roll of domination. I loved all the Pie's./ I guess Pinkie comes from an Amish family? They are writing Pinkie so much better this season than in 3 and 4. Well, this is now my favorite Apple Jack episode. Big Mac and Marble were cute, I am one not to think of shipping, but I was rooting for them the whole episode. Nothing more to say, it was amazing.

mreddie

Season 1 background characters is probably not the best evidence to use.
But in this case, they depicted filly Cheerilee in Cheese Sandwich's flashback about Pinkie in "Pinkie Pride", along with specific depictions of Lyra and Bon Bon as fillies when they didn't have filly models before, so there is more evidence for that.

On another note, all of Pinkie's sisters? Same person.
1008759.png

And Planes, Trains, and Automobiles cameo
1008748.jpeg

You're missing Kevin's mom cameo too.

PaulloDEC

I wonder if they were setting up a future episode with the thing about Holder's Boulder being found in a dragon's nest...

That did seem like kind of a big red flag. Like, giant egg-shaped boulder? Found in a dragon's nest?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they came back to that.

draetenth

I thought the episode was good not great. I did like how diverse the pie family was. However, I didn't really like the Hearth's Warming recap they did the stick figure things and it was one the episodes where the conflict bothered me.

Did no one seriously think to ask how the other family did things and what their traditions were? It bugged me that none of the Pies thought to actually explain their traditions to newcomers, but it also seemed odd that none of the Apples didn't think to ask or explain (which I suppose is somewhat what AJ was saying in the end). It wasn't like the Apples didn't seem open about their confusion during dinner and the doll/rock making thing. Didn't the Pie family pick up on that?

It bugged me how AJ ruined things trying to all of a sudden do things her way and then on the train ride back Granny just randomly explains why the rock was important and the history. The explanation seemed to come out of nowhere. At least, why didn't anyone think to tell AJ that right after it happened?

PaulloDEC

Did no one seriously think to ask how the other family did things and what their traditions were? It bugged me that none of the Pies thought to actually explain their traditions to newcomers, but it also seemed odd that none of the Apples didn't think to ask or explain (which I suppose is somewhat what AJ was saying in the end). It wasn't like the Apples didn't seem open about their confusion during dinner and the doll/rock making thing. Didn't the Pie family pick up on that?

The way I saw it, the Pie family didn't explain themselves because they're all total weirdos who probably think everyone celebrates with rock-related activities, and the Apples didn't explain themselves because Pinkie and AJ convinced one another that their traditions were the same on the train ride over.

You can basically chalk these issues up to the Pies being odd and oblivious and the Apples being too polite and/or off-balance to say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom