• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Btw, I noticed something about the character pairings in the show. It's a lot more obvious now at the end of the season than it was before. Each of the main ponies seems to be paired with either a filly or a companion of some sort.

Twilight -> Spike
Fluttershy -> Angel
Pinkie Pie -> Gummy
Rarity -> Sweetie Pie
Applejack -> Applebloom
Rainbow Dash -> Scootaloo

I wonder if they eventually plan on releasing higher quality toys and pairing each pony with their companion as an accessory. Seems like a good marketing idea!

G-Fex

duckroll said:
Btw, I noticed something about the character pairings in the show. It's a lot more obvious now at the end of the season than it was before. Each of the main ponies seems to be paired with either a filly or a companion of some sort.

Twilight -> Spike
Fluttershy -> Angel
Pinkie Pie -> Gummy
Rarity -> Sweetie Pie
Applejack -> Applebloom

I wonder if they eventually plan on releasing higher quality toys and pairing each pony with their companion as an accessory. Seems like a good marketing idea!

ITS SWEETIE BELLE, SWEETIE BELLE YOU VILE EVIL PERSON!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:

RainbowDashFIMriding_M_unknown.jpg

Yeah I'm thinking "no" on that.

duckroll said:
Twilight -> Spike
Fluttershy -> Angel
Pinkie Pie -> Gummy
Rarity -> Sweetie Pie
Applebloom -> Applejack

And fixed for you.

KtSlime

duckroll said:

Twilight -> Spike
Fluttershy -> Angel
Pinkie Pie -> Gummy
Rarity -> Sweetie Pie
Applejack -> Applebloom

Indeed they just started doing that. RD has a package when toys, a pet turtle, a skateboard, etc.

Edit: Beaten.

duckroll

G-Fex said:
ITS SWEETIE BELLE, SWEETIE BELLE YOU VILE EVIL PERSON!

Damnit. My true evilness has been revealed. I even bothered to google Scootaloo to make sure I spelled that right, and I still made a mistake on one of the Shitty Mark Crusaders!

Edit: Why the hell does Rainbow Dash have a turtle?!

Nishastra

Banned
duckroll said:
Then it definitely won't happen.

McNum

G-Fex said:
shouldn't all three CMC's be packaged on the scooter?
No, no, no. Each sold separately, and coming soon, the Cutie Mark Crusaders Scooter!

It's like you don't know how to think like a toy company.

duckroll

AceBandage said:
Nah, Hasbro will never release good quality toys for this.
The show succeeds in spite of Hasbro.

As much as I enjoy watching the show, I can't bring myself to buy any of the actual toys for my display shelf because they're all so awful looking. :(

G-Fex

duckroll said:
Damnit. My true evilness has been revealed. I even bothered to google Scootaloo to make sure I spelled that right, and I still made a mistake on one of the Shitty Mark Crusaders!

Edit: Why the hell does Rainbow Dash have a turtle?!

She wouldn't, turtles can't walk on clouds.

I don't think Rainbow Dash even likes animals. Or rocks

And sweetie belle is the best little crusader out of them

KtSlime

duckroll said:
As much as I enjoy watching the show, I can't bring myself to buy any of the actual toys for my display shelf because they're all so awful looking. :(

Yeah, it's quite sad that the McDonalds toys are the superior ones. But I couldn't give in to supporting them.

We need Pony gatya gatya machines here.

duckroll said:

That's because the mold hasn't changed since Gen 1.

NEO0MJ

duckroll said:

We need some sort of third party resin model kits for the show. It's the only way to get quality toy versions of the characters, fragile as they may be.

McNum

That is ironic, isn't it? My Little Pony, a show that's at its heart a 20 minute toy commercial, has no good toys associated with it. I think Hasbro was just taken by surprise by the popularity of the show, much like everyone else was.

NEO0MJ

McNum said:
That is ironic, isn't it? My Little Pony, a show that's at its heart a 20 minute toy commercial, has no good toys associated with it. I think Hasbro was just taken by surprise by the popularity of the show, much like everyone else was.

Nah. MLP was always one of Hasbro's leading toy brands. It's just that kiddies don't care about how detailed the figures are, which lets Hasbro get away with the toy's suckiness.

Haven't any of you seen this set?
51cA8865fEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GAH, so much white space in that image.

I mean, pink celestia and all.. but they're not TERRIBLE like the skateboarding Rainbow Dash that was just posted. There's another set with a Rarity as well, and I can see a second wave of toys being made with these molds.

2th

Banned
DrForester said:
So "Sequence" Pony secret, and Pony-Gaf got shout outs on ED

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/ponies-sneak-into-sequence.html

i posted in the sequence thread in the gaming section but this game has utterly pissed me off at the start. nothing huge per se but just enough to make me throw down the controller and stop playing for a few hours. when it gets dark out and i have had a few beers the game will probably be more appealing but so far its just repetitive with some stupid mechanics.

Darte

Its funny I never noticed the "sub communities" part of the Community category. I've always frequented it for online games only. Though community doesn't move as fast as off topic so good chance this thread will always be within the first 2 pages.
yes I use subscriptions to view it as well, though I wonder how the online gaming community will react...
rainbowV.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ultimoo said:
Hopefully the gaming side of GAF that hangs out in Community will be more loving and accepting than OT GAF.

lol

I doubt we'll even be noticed. The only people that post in the Community Forum are people who started in a thread in another forum and have since subscribed to it and access the thread from their subscriptions. =P

Furret

Banned
How About No said:
Kinda strange that a show/franchise designed to push toys is totally sucking on the toy front.

This is so true.

I'd love a little set of the main six or seven characters to sit on my desk, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that.

(That gift set is the closest and it's horrible.)

duckroll said:

So true. My brother bought me a Pinkie Pie figure as a joke and it's terrible.

You would think Hasbro would be trying to capitalize on the extended fan base in some way.

Nishastra

Banned
ZealousD said:
I doubt we'll even be noticed. The only people that post in the Community Forum are people who started in a thread in another forum and have since subscribed to it and access the thread from their subscriptions. =P
Yeah, no one actually BROWSES Community.

2th

Banned
bloodforge said:
So true. My brother bought me a Pinkie Pie figure as a joke and it's terrible.

You would think Hasbro would be trying to capitalize on the extended fan base in some way.

but that would make too much sense. and we know toy companies never make sense.

To be fair everyone at Hasbro has to be paralyzed with fear, wondering what the hell is happening with this show. They just thought they were signing off on a dumb pony cartoon to continue to sell dumb pony figures to dumb kids. Clearly this isn't what they were expecting.

NEO0MJ

2th said:
but that would make too much sense. and we know toy companies never make sense.

Hasbro doesn't seem to care much about it's older toyline fans. I know, been a transformers fan for almost 10 years now. And despite being it's biggest franchise it only gives us one masterpiece(the only real quality transformers brand of figures) once every two years.

Nishastra

Banned
RomanticHeroX said:
To be fair everyone at Hasbro has to be paralyzed with fear, wondering what the hell is happening with this show. They just thought they were signing off on a dumb pony cartoon to continue to sell dumb pony figures to dumb kids. Clearly this isn't what they were expecting.
I think you're giving them too much credit by implying that they've even noticed.

2th

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
Hasbro doesn't seem to care much about it's older toyline fans. I know, been a transformers fan for almost 10 years now. And despite being it's biggest franchise it only gives us one masterpiece(the only real quality transformers figure) once every two years.

they did release reissues of some of the transformers G1 line. I have a reissue of G1 Optimus Prime and Soundwave.

KtSlime

NEO0MJ said:
Hasbro doesn't seem to care much about it's older toyline fans. I know, been a transformers fan for almost 10 years now. And despite being it's biggest franchise it only gives us one masterpiece(the only real quality transformers brand of figures) once every two years.

And they have released some awesome top of the line models that are definitely not for kids, I look at them and imagine it takes like an hour to transform they are so detailed.

Hasbro cares much more for the adult community of Transformers than any other there other toy lines.

NEO0MJ

2th said:
they did release reissues of some of the transformers G1 line. I have a reissue of G1 Optimus Prime and Soundwave.

Come on, those are horrible toys. I suppose collectors may want them but I want true showpieces for my collection.

Furret

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
And they have released some awesome top of the line models that are definitely not for kids, I look at them and imagine it takes like an hour to transform they are so detailed.

Hasbro cares much more for the adult community of Transformers than any other there other toy lines.

The reissues and Masterpieces are entirely down to Takara.

Hasbro reluctantly release some of them, but always in inferior versions.

NEO0MJ

ivedoneyourmom said:

Those are the masterpieces, and yes some of them do take an hour to transform, like Megatron

AceBandage said:
Because Transfers is now a billion dollar franchise with the Bay movies.

Actually, the first masterpiece was released in 2000(long before the movies) and they've been coming at a steady every two years since. Plus there are the botcon figures which are extremely detailed.

Furret said:
The reissues and Masterpieces are entirely down to Takara.

Hasbro reluctantly release some of them, but always in inferior versions.

Takara always covers the toys. And the MP figures are exacts, except for some slight modification due to the U.S. toy safety standards.

Anyways I think we are derailing. Here's Ponytron!

UberTag

The toys may suck but the show production sure doesn't.
PAX Prime needs a pony panel with the cast & crew from Los Angeles & Vancouver.

Ok you friendly motherfuckers! You got me!
This show is incredibly awesome, Im right now in episode 9 and Im loving every second of it.
As someone who studies animation in college I found it incredibly detailed, and very well done. The work done with this series by Lauren Faust and her team is very reminiscent of the work of Craig, and that only can mean that is excellent.

Im very surprised with the works of the main characters, I dont hate any of them, even if some of them would had traits that I would hate a lot if done in another way. Rarity is a good example for that, and yet thay have done an great character with her, and the main character, Twilight, could have been really dull, but yet she has lots of personality.
But the character I love most right now is Pinkie Pie, so fucking awesome, and her animation every time she appears in camera is marvelous.
Even the extras can make you laugh, and the voice work is perfect.
And the stories in every episode, even with the ending message, are really fun and have all great gags.

So yeah, I for one welcome our new Pony overlords. I will visit this thread daily and hope we can be all good friends :)
:lol

BTW, saw one episode of the 80's version for comparison as I didnt remember anything of it, only the main theme, and fucking wow if its totally different... and horrible. ALL the ponies are horrendous, and they are all similar and really girly bad, they all acted stupid or something, with clear symptoms of mental deficiency. I think there was one dragon that was meant to be spike and its was horribly stupid (it was a little bigger and fatter and his voice sounded idiotic).

SpacePirate Ridley said:
This show is incredibly awesome, Im right now in episode 9 and Im loving every second of it.
As someone who studies animation in college I found it incredibly detailed, and very well done. The work done with this series by Lauren Faust and its ream is very reminiscent of the work of Craig, and that only can mean that is excellent.

Im very surprised with the works of the main characters, I dont hate any of them, even if some of them would had traits that I would hate a lot if done in another way. Rarity is a good example for that, and yet thay have done an great character with her, and the main character, Twilight, could have been really dull, but yet she has lots of personality.
But the character I love most right now is Pinkie Pie, so fucking awesome, and her animation every time she appears in camera is marvelous.
And the stories in every episode, even with the ending message, are really fun and have all great gags.

So yeah, I for one welcome our new Pony overlords. I will visit this thread daily and hope we can be all good friends :)

BTW, saw one episode of the 80's version for comparison as I didnt remember anything of it, only the main theme, and fucking wow if its totally different... and horrible. ALL the ponies are horrendous, and they are all similar and really girly bad, they all acted stupid or something, with clear symptoms of mental deficiency. I think there was one dragon that was meant to be spike and its was horribly stupid (it was a little bigger and fatter and his voice sounded idiotic).

welcometotheherd.jpg

And yes, Gen 1, 2 and 3 MLP is fucking awful.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SpacePirate Ridley said:
As someone who studies animation in college I found it incredibly detailed, and very well done. The work done with this series by Lauren Faust and her team is very reminiscent of the work of Craig, and that only can mean that is excellent.

Pony-GAF welcomes you.
p9bFzm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom