• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My oldest credit cards closed due to no activity. 15 years of built up credit gone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is probably a dumb question, but do you still get credit if you pay off your balance every month? I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. I always pay off my card and was told that I don't build up any credit by doing that since I'm not paying interest.

lol yes, i still believe its a myth. Beside my mortgage I have not paid a interest on anything. And i have a solid credit rating. Also to note, my credit was solid even before I got the mortgage.

Seirith

This is probably a dumb question, but do you still get credit if you pay off your balance every month? I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. I always pay off my card and was told that I don't build up any credit by doing that since I'm not paying interest.

My score is over 800 and I have never ever carried a balance on my credit card. I pay it off in full every month.You build credit by having a card and paying it off.

My score is over 800 and I have never ever carried a balance on my credit card. I pay it off in full every month.You build credit by having a card and paying it off.

Yep, you show that you can be trusted to manage your affairs well.

Having said that, I've been up to the eyes in debt in the not-too-distant past, but still managed to have a very high credit rating because of the ridiculously high house price inflation in my area of the UK. I suppose they reasoned that, if I didn't pay my debts, they could always use the county court to put a charge on the property, which would mean that if the house was ever sold they would get paid from the proceeds before just about anybody else saw a brass sou.

malfcn

I've had a card with one service since I was 16. Haven't used it in years. Don't even know where a physical card is. I should or shouldn't be worried?

I use my primary bank credit card and only that. Always pay in full.

Top Bottom