• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Arsenic

Anyone familiar with a possible video card problem?

My friend's PS3 would freeze (but sound will remain functioning) always within a minute of playing NBA 2K9. Visually the image remains static with a few small green squares/pixels appearing randomly across.

I realized his PS3 was not up-to-date with the firmware so i decided to go for it and update for him, to atleast be able to get the recovery console. But not even 1% into the download, the same freeze happens.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

It seems theres not much left to do. It's a 20gig launch unit and im thinking of telling him to just selling it for cheap cheap to someone who can afford the repair costs, or get it repaired himself if he still wants a PS3

klee123

Well, I got the YLOD last year for my US 60GB PS3 and I managed to get it working again today. I just simply used a hair dryer to heat the CPUs and a few of the nearby components and actually for it working again. All I need now is some thermal compound.

People who's PS3 died from YLOD should give it a try.

mrbagdt

got my refurbished unit back yesterday, has 4 usb ports and looks pretty good. cant tell any differences at all. of course, i lost all of my saves and my downloaded content, but whatever.

i called up sony because all of my activations are used up to see how i could lie and get my stuff reset. the first time i tried the high road and said how i have replaced 2 systems and somehow my activations are all up.

'did you ever log on at a friends house?'

'well, i might have, but i really dont remember that happening and i dont know how i could find out if i did do that.' (truth is i shared my log in info with 3 friends, just so they could download some of the early games when they first bought their systems like blast factor and flow. i have since reset my password and none of them can log on- they dont need to steal all of my rockband music! also, two of them had their ps3s die, so you can really reset activations on a broken unit)

'thats no problem sir, we can get this all worked out. please hold'

at this point i had lots of faith and was pretty optimistic that yea, this was going to work out, completely forgetting that i had gotten this feeling when i called sony before. after about 10 minutes of holding, the operator comes back on the phone.

'sir, we cannot reset the activations for your broken systems, you have to deactivate your account from your friends playstations.'

'well, i dont really know how i am going to be able to do that, i dont even remember doing it on any other systems.'

'sorry, but that is what you're going to have to do.'

'ok.... thanks.'

so yea, screw that idea. i guess i am goign to have to go the other way and just lie my ass off, which worked for my friend. i called back 2 hours later, claiming that i had replaced my playstations and that at one point early in my gaming career i think someone got my log on information and bought some games, but i changed the password and everything is fine now, i dont know how those activations got used up. of course, they had a record of my earlier call, so they kind of questioned me about that, to which i said that i had never shared my log in information with anyone else and i had never game shared. hmmm, thats odd is the reply, and after some sitting on hold for awhile i am told i will get a call back the next day to discuss the issue further.

i am trying to hold out hope and get this stuff reset. i mean, does getting your activations reset make any difference with your limits on how many times you can download a game? if it doesnt matter, then why dont you worry more about how many times my stuff has been downloaded instead of activations. i have at least $80 in rockband songs downloaded, and they have all been activated by me and me alone. the fact that the only way i can deactivate a system is by physically getting on that system is just plain annoying.

also, anyone who wants to lecture me on using up activations and its not sonys problem and its all my own, save your breath and dont be a dick.

mrbagdt

nofi said:
Well, you do. Why can't you just do this?
two of the systems are dead, and i dont even talk to the 3rd guy anymore. honestly, the whole reason i ever bothered showing the dude was so he could see the games in the store. i cant believe how many people have playstations and have never even looked at the psn store.... but i guess its easy for me because i am a gamer and i always look at these things.

mrbagdt

success! the guy was actually pretty cool about it, said that he could see my activations go back 3 years and that i have regularly changed my password, and my recent games in the store have only been downloaded one time. so i guess he was cool with everything, said i needed to be more conscientious about using up activations on systems and to try and be more thoughtful about it, etc.

so yea, i had to go around in circles a little bit, but eventually logic prevailed (with the help of a few white little lies). thank you sony, i still love you
even tho i just spent $150 fixing your broken system

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was in the 360 Death thread, this one's twin :p and I saw this:

Magik said:
You guys should check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0eDiehy8Y

It shows how if you turn off the system right after you are playing a game, the internal temperature of the 360 continues to rise even after shutdown due to the fans shutting off.

It looks like the best thing to do is to exit to the dashboard for a while since the fans will still be running before turning it off completely.

I don't have a thermometer, it wouldn't be hard to put one in to the ps3 though, since the fans are quite open in the back. In any case, it may be a similar thing to the ps3 since I would turn it off whenever it would get extremely noisy. Thinking about it, if I turn it off at that point, the fans stop: as a result the heat remains insulated within the console.

However, I'm not sure if exiting a game and leaving it in the XMB for like 30 minutes would cause the same results as the dashboard. However, they are different consoles, but I don't think I'll be turning it off just like that anymore.

dralla

got my coffin today, I put my old HDD back in so I don't get a smaller one in return. I know all my old saves are gone but what about downloading game saves? I know the trophy patch now prevents this, but what if I don't download the firmware with the trophies at first, than download all the game saves for the games I had, THAN download the newest firmware, would that work?

Agent X

mrbagdt said:
success! the guy was actually pretty cool about it, said that he could see my activations go back 3 years and that i have regularly changed my password, and my recent games in the store have only been downloaded one time. so i guess he was cool with everything, said i needed to be more conscientious about using up activations on systems and to try and be more thoughtful about it, etc.

so yea, i had to go around in circles a little bit, but eventually logic prevailed (with the help of a few white little lies). thank you sony, i still love you
even tho i just spent $150 fixing your broken system

That's good news! Honestly, that's one of the things that kind of concerns me is that I might someday burn through all of my activations.

I'm on my second one now. I asked the lady a few days ago if there was any way they could deactivate my old broken system, and (polite as she was) seemed to give a somewhat dodgy answer to this question, asking if there was anything specific I needed to download. I explained that I didn't have a download problem, I just didn't want to get into a future situation where I might use up all five activations and then be stuck up the creek. The way she was talking made it sound like they couldn't do a deactivation, even though some people here said they could (and you yourself have proven). She warned me not to log onto too many other systems or download games at my friends' houses (something I have never done to date).

I eventually relented, figuring this is only #2 and I'm not in any real danger yet. I'll likely press them harder if the system I have now should ever give up the ghost and I have to send it in for repair.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, what is the end result? Did they actually remove your old activations (some or all of them), or did they give you "activation #6"?

dralla said:
got my coffin today, I put my old HDD back in so I don't get a smaller one in return. I know all my old saves are gone but what about downloading game saves? I know the trophy patch now prevents this, but what if I don't download the firmware with the trophies at first, than download all the game saves for the games I had, THAN download the newest firmware, would that work?

Are you talking about your own game saves, or saves created by other users? If you want to reload your own game saves, then I think in most cases there shouldn't be a problem.

I copied nearly 40 of my old game saves from USB flash drive back to the hard drive. I haven't tried all of them yet, but every one of the games I've tried so far seems to perform exactly as it did on my old system. These are some of the games I've tried so far (going from memory):

Resistance: Fall of Man
LittleBigPlanet
Burnout Paradise
Lemmings
Go! Sudoku
Blast Factor
flOw
Super Stardust HD
Everyday Shooter
Bionic Commando Rearmed (only Capcom game on PS3 that I know of that doesn't have a locked save)
PixelJunk Monsters

I even managed to earn a new trophy on my old Blast Factor save! :D

By the way, interesting thing about firmware. When I got this system on April 10, it had firmware 2.6, which I promptly upgraded to firmware 2.7. When I got it back a few days ago, same system (bit more scratched up, though), same serial number, even with a few of my settings still intact...it was downgraded to 2.6 and I had to upgrade to 2.7 again.

dralla

My PS3 doesn't turn on, I can't get my saves. I'm talking about downloading other peoples game saves before I install the firmware which added the trophies. I'm hoping this will trick my new PS3 into thinking they are all my saves.

mrbagdt

Agent X said:
Anyway, just out of curiosity, what is the end result? Did they actually remove your old activations (some or all of them), or did they give you "activation #6"?
they completely reset my system activations back to zero. but remember- i had to lie and say that i never shared my log in info with anyone else and i said that i thought someone may have gotten ahold of my password somehow. if you are honest and say that you shared your info with someone else, no matter what, they will just say you should deactivate it from their system before they can reset anything else. after talking to the guy, however, he said that they could deactivate systems one at a time. i honestly cant explain why he decided to reset all of my systems, i even came out and said 'you could just reset the system that i just had repaired' but he reset them all anyway....

of course, this didnt reset my game downloads, but i have only downloaded most of my stuff only once or twice so i feel pretty safe.

Agent X

Ah, that's very encouraging to hear that they can do that. I'm still confused by one comment:

mrbagdt said:
of course, this didnt reset my game downloads, but i have only downloaded most of my stuff only once or twice so i feel pretty safe.

Isn't that one of the main reasons why you'd want to gain back the activations, so that you can download your previously purchased content again? I'm not sure whether it would matter how many times you've performed downloads, as long as your system can be activated successfully...is there something I'm missing here?

I never just turn off my PS3 OR 360.

I go into the dash or XMB 99 times out of 100.

My PS3 drive makes a LITTLE noise when I play Singstar, but nothing major. I only just bought this 80GB so I could pack away my 60GB, so it's within warranty anyway.

I'd DIE if I lost my 6GB.

mrbagdt

Agent X said:
Isn't that one of the main reasons why you'd want to gain back the activations, so that you can download your previously purchased content again? I'm not sure whether it would matter how many times you've performed downloads, as long as your system can be activated successfully...is there something I'm missing here?
with most content that i am aware of, you can only download a game 5 times. so if i downloaded blast factor way back in teh day, then i shared it with some friends, then put it on my new console, whenever you get to download number 5, thats it. you have to repurchase the game to get it any more. otherwise, you could share all your games, have them deactivate the system, and then sony would never know the wiser. putting the download limits helps defeat that- so the activation limits just seem as another little pain in your ass to prevent game sharing, but it is one you can deal with my deactivating systems.

some games can only be downloaded once. i purchased warhawk online way back when, and you can only download it once. if i called sony, they may be able to reset my activation because i had to replace the playstation, but i know taht i cannot download it again right now if i wanted too. this is why it is almost always better to get a physical copy of a game or movie rather than downloading it online- the good stuff where pay $25 or more seem to have lower limits of 1-2 activations. i assume somebody who bought burnout paradise or some others might be able to verify this.

hateradio said:
You won't get it back if you send it to Sony, and since it seems that it will happen again even on the refurbished one (since the PS3 will always get hot) you can try something like this

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3824126

or use this ebay option
http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/it...rksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

Might have to give that a go. So am I hearing this right? I send it to Sony I pay them $150 so they can send me a refurbed Ps3? Why not just fix my actual ps3 so I can keep BC.

paparazzo

Choke on the Magic said:
Might have to give that a go. So am I hearing this right? I send it to Sony I pay them $150 so they can send me a refurbed Ps3? Why not just fix my actual ps3 so I can keep BC.
No, if you send your broken PS3 to sony, you will receive a refurb PS3 the exact same model as the one you sent in. Your BC is safe.

mjc

So what exactly can I save before I send my system away for service? I'm assuming I can just use a memory stick to save all the stuff, but are we just talking game saves and PSN games?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You should only really save your saves :lol . You can download the PSN games again anyways, and videos and stuff too.

Most important is to have the system deactivated, but sometimes it's not possible, if you get the YLOD suddenly.

Tom Penny

Screw you Sony. I just start using my PS3 for something other than movies playing Sacred 2 this week and get the lovely error code 80029941 disk error. Can't play movies and can't even shut off the console unless I use the controller. Power button doesn't work now either. Is this a Blu-Ray laser issue? If so i'm screwed right...

Esch

Banned
Okay, so i just got the YLOD. It powered off, but i was able to turn it back on and navigate menus for a while. I shut it off in fear though. What's going to happen?

mjc said:
So what exactly can I save before I send my system away for service? I'm assuming I can just use a memory stick to save all the stuff, but are we just talking game saves and PSN games?

what happened to your console?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
EschatonDX said:
Okay, so i just got the YLOD. It powered off, but i was able to turn it back on and navigate menus for a while. I shut it off in fear though. What's going to happen?

Officially, the yellow led means the system is overheating. Perhaps in your case it was just that. A warning.

The "real" YLOD kills the PS3. You can't turn it on at all.

Remy

Sort of reposting from the inFamous thread:

I got 20% into the game (according to my save, anyhow) and then my optical drive started having some issues. Voices weren't loading, one time I got stuck running against an area that hadn't loaded, and so on. Would let it sit off for a while, reboot the PS3 an hour later, and it would be fine...for 20 minutes before happening again. Wife confirmed it's happening with Blu-rays as well.

Luckily, the thing still boots, so I did a backup last night, and I'll deactivate both of my accounts this morning. Given how much use my PS3 has gotten in the last 30 months, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. Sad that I may have to pause my progress through the game, since I have been completely into it.

(It does crack me up that it's almost two years to the day since my 360 red ringed, which coincidentally happened while I was trying to play Crackdown before the Halo 3 beta came out. Open world superhero games are the death of me. :/)

Quick question for everyone else - any tips for if I'm sending this in with an upgraded hard drive, given that I chucked out the 60GB long, long ago? Should I just add a note? (I suppose if they send me back a new 60GB drive it wouldn't kill me, since I could upgrade to something larger...)

Tom Penny

Anyone know if this 80029941 disk error is fixable or do I pretty much have to get a PS3 coffin sent to me to send my PS3 back to Sony?

Esch

Banned
TTP said:
Officially, the yellow led means the system is overheating. Perhaps in your case it was just that. A warning.

The "real" YLOD kills the PS3. You can't turn it on at all.

I was able to turn it on and play a couple games of wipeout HD today before it YLOD'd again.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Tom Penny said:
Anyone know if this 80029941 disk error is fixable or do I pretty much have to get a PS3 coffin sent to me to send my PS3 back to Sony?

if it's a disk error, couldn't you just install your own hard drive?

unless it means disc drive? (blu ray drive)

Remy said:
Quick question for everyone else - any tips for if I'm sending this in with an upgraded hard drive, given that I chucked out the 60GB long, long ago? Should I just add a note? (I suppose if they send me back a new 60GB drive it wouldn't kill me, since I could upgrade to something larger...)

I would fine some cheap clunker, when I got my 60gb fixed I had the 20gb inside cuz I had a feeling my 320gb would come up missing, boy it sure did, cuz when I got my ps3 back it was a whole new system with a 60gb drive. :lol

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
My PS3 did this to me once, but it gave me a different error code. Every time i'd put in a blue ray, the little drop thingy would pop up in the corner, and take a real long time, and then, nothing,,, game wouldn't ever show up.. but it would take DVD's and they'd show up, so immediately i figured the blu ray diode was shot... All games would do this, but then some (i.e. GTA4) would then pop up the error code after trying for a while...

SO, i let it sit for a while, and kept at it, putting in every game i could think of,,, then it was time for a new update, so i did that,,, then i put in MGS4 about 20 times... THEN,, SUCCESS. It took about 3 days of trying straight every evening until one time, boom, game just loaded.

It just started working again,,, that was about 6 months ago and it still works. I can only think it was A. a bad firmware flash which needed overhauled with an update... OR B. the blu ray lense was dirty, and my constant fiddling with it and constant trying shook the dust loose off the diode..

It works perfect now, hasn't done it since???? weird. I guess MGS4 saved my PS3....
I was just playing KZ 2 last night, after it had sit, un-used for about a month...

I dunno, but they're not always dead when they appear to be...

Tom Penny

Dirk Shmiggler said:
My PS3 did this to me once, but it gave me a different error code. Every time i'd put in a blue ray, the little drop thingy would pop up in the corner, and take a real long time, and then, nothing,,, game wouldn't ever show up.. but it would take DVD's and they'd show up, so immediately i figured the blu ray diode was shot... All games would do this, but then some (i.e. GTA4) would then pop up the error code after trying for a while...

SO, i let it sit for a while, and kept at it, putting in every game i could think of,,, then it was time for a new update, so i did that,,, then i put in MGS4 about 20 times... THEN,, SUCCESS. It took about 3 days of trying straight every evening until one time, boom, game just loaded.

It just started working again,,, that was about 6 months ago and it still works. I can only think it was A. a bad firmware flash which needed overhauled with an update... OR B. the blu ray lense was dirty, and my constant fiddling with it and constant trying shook the dust loose off the diode..

It works perfect now, hasn't done it since???? weird. I guess MGS4 saved my PS3....
I was just playing KZ 2 last night, after it had sit, un-used for about a month...

I dunno, but they're not always dead when they appear to be...

So wait for the next firmware update and hope it magically saves me?

womfalcs3

Banned
Looks like my PS3 is dead. The first console I have ever owned that has died on me.

I have Killzone in the drive. :(

It turns on, an orange/yellow light appears, then just blinks read. Any hope?

I also don't want to lose the content on my HDD, so I can just install it in another PS3.

womfalcs3

Banned
Well, I've bought a screwdriver set (my current set is not sufficient), a heat gun, and paste for heat transfer to the heat sink.

I'll fix it on the weekend.

ok I just got my ps3 back and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to save the pictures off my hdd before I have to format my hdd to my ps3. No I didn't have them backed up.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Another 60GB launch unit has bit the dust... : (

I was in the middle of playing Infamous and my system beeped, and turned off. Try to turn it on, light turns green, then yellow, then just blinks red over and over.....YLOD....

Sony clearly has an issue with their early units, yet I'll still get raped $150 when i call them about this.....

I seriously want to cry right now....i treat all my systems like gold, and this was my worst fear.... : ( : (

EDIT-- It took me several tries, but i was able to time it right to eventually hit the eject button just after i hit the power button, and it ejected my Infamous game before it started blinking red again. So i feel better about that at least....

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Mine got the yellow light tonight too... :(

My one question- is there any way to recover game saves short of using the built in backup utility?

womfalcs3

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Another 60GB launch unit has bit the dust... : (

I was in the middle of playing Infamous and my system beeped, and turned off. Try to turn it on, light turns green, then yellow, then just blinks red over and over.....YLOD....

Sony clearly has an issue with their early units, yet I'll still get raped $150 when i call them about this.....

I seriously want to cry right now....i treat all my systems like gold, and this was my worst fear.... : ( : (

I opened mine today. I have a heat gun being delivered tomorrow that I'll use to fix this. I'm very worried right now because my HDD screw was stripped (I used multiple-sized screwdrivers and didn't apply a large amount of force. I guess my screwdriver material is just much harder than the screw material.). I don't have a drill here to take out the screw.

I have to be careful tomorrow as I use the heat gun, but I need to focus on the processors, and the HDD isn't too far away. I can't get the HDD too hot.

I'll probably only slightly heat the back of the motherboard when I pre-heat, to avoid that. I won't do the front side.

I spent some time cleaning out the dust and the old thermal compound material today.

It fucking sucks. I was playing Killzone 2, and my team had just won the game, and bam! YLOD.

Mine was a launch 60-GB unit too. I want to see if Sony launches a slim unit this year at a lower price, as well.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Called Sony last night about my YLOD....the dude was pretty douchy....At first he tried to play off like he had no idea what the YLOD issue was and made me explain it to him. Then later in the call after i laid into him for like 10 minutes about how this is obviously an early system defect, and that he should do some research online about YLOD and see how many are actually affected, he mentioned how he was 'always online at message boards' and 'doing research about ps3 issues and he's never seen this before'...blah...blah.... I called him out on his flatout lie...As an employee who handles support calls on PS3, AND you're online at boards all the time, AND you research PS3 issues online, yet you have NO idea what the YLOD issue is....uh-huh.. Flippin moron...

So now I don't know what to do...Sony will rape me $150 if i send it to them...then there's this JD Electronics that will also fix YLOD for like $110, and you supposedly get your EXACT system back 95% of the time with all your saves intact. Then there's the big variable as to whether Sony will drop the price next week. As it is now, $150 is almost half the cost of a new 80 GIG unit....On top of that, there are reports online that many YLOD fixes are only temporary and recur within a year....

I really dont know...I honestly dont use my PS2 BC hardly at all so i wouldnt miss losing it. Plus the new systems have the 65mm chipsets, and run super quiet from what i hear too.

HELP ME DECIDE!!!! :lol

womfalcs3

Banned
shantyman said:
Just checking again- any way to recover saves on a console that won't turn on?

If it's YLOD, that's not usually an HDD issue. So can't you just use the HDD on another PS3 and have all your files intact?

SHIT! My 60gb just died (YLOD). Quick question - any Toronto gaffers have any experience with getting their ps3 repaired at gamearama at yonge and eglinton. My ps3 is out of warranty and I was thinking of taking it there to get repaired as opposed to sending it to Sony.

JaseMath

Just got my 80GB back from Sony. Even though you look like you might, please don't break again. Please. *crosses fingers*

EDIT - ...the PS3 I sent in was absolutely mint. The PS3 I got back was a fucking mess - gooey crap from stickers in several places on the top, scuffs all over the thing, even the back. Thanks, Sony. Thanks a bunch...assholes.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Called Sony last night about my YLOD....the dude was pretty douchy....At first he tried to play off like he had no idea what the YLOD issue was and made me explain it to him. Then later in the call after i laid into him for like 10 minutes about how this is obviously an early system defect, and that he should do some research online about YLOD and see how many are actually affected, he mentioned how he was 'always online at message boards' and 'doing research about ps3 issues and he's never seen this before'...blah...blah.... I called him out on his flatout lie...As an employee who handles support calls on PS3, AND you're online at boards all the time, AND you research PS3 issues online, yet you have NO idea what the YLOD issue is....uh-huh.. Flippin moron...

So now I don't know what to do...Sony will rape me $150 if i send it to them...then there's this JD Electronics that will also fix YLOD for like $110, and you supposedly get your EXACT system back 95% of the time with all your saves intact. Then there's the big variable as to whether Sony will drop the price next week. As it is now, $150 is almost half the cost of a new 80 GIG unit....On top of that, there are reports online that many YLOD fixes are only temporary and recur within a year....

I really dont know...I honestly dont use my PS2 BC hardly at all so i wouldnt miss losing it. Plus the new systems have the 65mm chipsets, and run super quiet from what i hear too.

HELP ME DECIDE!!!! :lol

I payed the 150 dollars. If you feel safe w/ this JD electronics though do that because I have a hdd now with a lot of unbacked up music and pictures thats unreadable by any thing other than my dead ps3. This way you don't have to go through what I went through.

Top Bottom