• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
shantyman said:
Is there any word on the reliability of refurbished 60GB units? I'm wondering if my refurb will die in 2 years again. :/

Its a mixed bag friend....you get 90 days on your refurb.

Ive read posts over at the official Sony boards of people getting refurbs from Sony after they send in their YLOD PS3, and the refurbs have the same issues within 6 months.....almost always after the 90 day warranty. You guessed it....another $150 to get it fixed.

Im sure this doesnt happen in ALL cases, but it does happen.

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Its a mixed bag friend....you get 90 days on your refurb.

Ive read posts over at the official Sony boards of people getting refurbs from Sony after they send in their YLOD PS3, and the refurbs have the same issues within 6 months.....almost always after the 90 day warranty. You guessed it....another $150 to get it fixed.

Im sure this doesnt happen in ALL cases, but it does happen.

That is why my PS3 is sitting here useless. Spending $150 for a 3 month warranty is too much.

Anyone know if the repair cost will drop when the PS3 gets its price cut to $299?

Ramune

Well an update on my PS3. I called Sony today and mentioned and emphasized that I purchased it this month last year. They let me have the in warranty repair even though it's technically been over for a few weeks. Sucks BlazBlue will be in the mail and I'll be forced to just stare at it for a while.

How is something like this legal? Why does Microsoft cover their RROD but Sony makes you pay up for it on SEVERAL occasions? Is it simply that the failure rate is much lower?

If the launch 60 gig has known problems that cause it to completely stop working, how can they get away only giving 90 days warranties?

My PS3 is on it's way back and no fucking way am I paying 150 dollars a second time if it breaks down again. I honestly can't believe Sony's policy is this fucked when they are this far behind in the console race. It's like daring people to leave the Sony brand.

Fool me once...

KZObsessed

My PS3 died last week. Turns its self off with 3 beeps and and the power button just keeps on flashing.

Had it for two years so out of warranty. £145 for a replacement :lol

Gonna take it to a local store and see if they can fix it. If not I'm gonna be waiting for the Slim. Not paying £145 for a system which is only guaranteed for 3 months.

CartridgeBlower said:
How is something like this legal? Why does Microsoft cover their RROD but Sony makes you pay up for it on SEVERAL occasions? Is it simply that the failure rate is much lower?

If the launch 60 gig has known problems that cause it to completely stop working, how can they get away only giving 90 days warranties?

My PS3 is on it's way back and no fucking way am I paying 150 dollars a second time if it breaks down again. I honestly can't believe Sony's policy is this fucked when they are this far behind in the console race. It's like daring people to leave the Sony brand.

Fool me once...

A) The PS3's warranty is 1 year, not 90 days.

B) The RROD issues were basically the issues the PS3 is having (lead-free solders can't handle the repeated heat-cycling induced on them by chips that run as hot as these) as well as overall terrible design. 360's were red-ringing right out of the box in many cases, whereas the launch PS3's require considerable usage to experience this failure.

Take a look at the people that have experienced this with their early PS3's and you will see that these are the type of people that play their PS3 likely more than once a day, almost every day. So an overwhelming majority of early model PS3 owners will take even longer to have this happen to them. The cooler running 65nm Cell processors were already in PS3s by the time anyone experienced the YLOD, therefore meaning they had fixed the issue before it really started cropping up in the field.

C) Stop whining, thingsbreak.gif. Your PS3 is not back on its way to you. You are receiving a "new" 60GB unit that will last you for another couple of years.

MoxManiac

Valkyr Junkie said:
C) Stop whining, thingsbreak.gif. Your PS3 is not back on its way to you. You are receiving a "new" 60GB unit that will last you for another couple of years.

I have higher expectations then a couple years, though. That seems like too small a time frame to be acceptable.(I too am waiting for my fixed/refurbished PS3 to get back to me) Rightfully no one should have to suffer with it twice (and have to pay sony twice!)

MoxManiac said:
I have higher expectations then a couple years, though. That seems like too small a time frame to be acceptable.(I too am waiting for my fixed/refurbished PS3 to get back to me) Rightfully no one should have to suffer with it twice (and have to pay sony twice!)

Yeah, it sucks. Blame earth nuts for getting lead banned from use in solder.

If it's something you're worried about though, invest in a heat gun and learn to reflow the solder points yourself. You'll probably have to do it a few times a year, but it's cheaper than the alternative of buying a new PS3 between now and then ("then" being a point that the PS3 is likely cheaper than the Wii is now).

Valkyr Junkie said:

B) The RROD issues were basically the issues the PS3 is having (lead-free solders can't handle the repeated heat-cycling induced on them by chips that run as hot as these) as well as overall terrible design. 360's were red-ringing right out of the box in many cases, whereas the launch PS3's require considerable usage to experience this failure.

Take a look at the people that have experienced this with their early PS3's and you will see that these are the type of people that play their PS3 likely more than once a day, almost every day. So an overwhelming majority of early model PS3 owners will take even longer to have this happen to them. The cooler running 65nm Cell processors were already in PS3s by the time anyone experienced the YLOD, therefore meaning they had fixed the issue before it really started cropping up in the field.

Last time I checked, which was last week, the warranty on a refurb PS3 is 90 days. So don't know where you're getting your info from...

witness

40GB unit, over a year old so out of warranty and its ethernet adapter is just dead. It detects no wireless networks, my laptop can detect 4 different ones, and it wont work when directly connected with a ethernet cable. It also freezes up now on start up. Luckily my bday is in 3 weeks so I'm getting it sent back to sony....what a nice bday gift.......

RobertM

witness said:
40GB unit, over a year old so out of warranty and its ethernet adapter is just dead. It detects no wireless networks, my laptop can detect 4 different ones, and it wont work when directly connected with a ethernet cable. It also freezes up now on start up. Luckily my bday is in 3 weeks so I'm getting it sent back to sony....what a nice bday gift.......
Did you reset internet setting after connecting the cable and test connection?

witness

RobertM said:
Did you reset internet setting after connecting the cable and test connection?

Yes. I was on the phone for prolly a half hour with sony support a couple weeks back and went through every possible thing. When I put a ethernet cable in it says a cable is not connected :lol

I even called belkin, the router company, and went through them with putting in all the correct numbers manually and making sure all settings were correct and still nothing. Pretty sure its dead cause the green ethernet light isn't even on.

CartridgeBlower said:
Last time I checked, which was last week, the warranty on a refurb PS3 is 90 days. So don't know where you're getting your info from...

He was referring to the launch 60GB PS3s which have 1 year warranties from when they were purchased.

witness said:
Yes. I was on the phone for prolly a half hour with sony support a couple weeks back and went through every possible thing. When I put a ethernet cable in it says a cable is not connected :lol

I even called belkin, the router company, and went through them with putting in all the correct numbers manually and making sure all settings were correct and still nothing. Pretty sure its dead cause the green ethernet light isn't even on.

If the activity LED isn't flashing then yea, sounds like a dead NIC.

Coins

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
He was referring to the launch 60GB PS3s which have 1 year warranties from when they were purchased.

No, they dont. There are no 60GB PS3s under warranty anymore.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Coins said:
No, they dont. There are no 60GB PS3s under warranty anymore.

You're misunderstanding i think....

When the 60GB's were still being bought new in stores they came with a 1 yr warranty from Sony like all PS3's you buy in stores. We know that there are no 60GBs under their original warranty anymore.

MoxManiac

I think the point CartridgeBlower was trying to get across is that Sony -should- be giving refurbished/fixed PS3s a new 1 year warranty instead of 90 days. Which I agree with, if that's what he was going for.

MoxManiac said:
I think the point CartridgeBlower was trying to get across is that Sony -should- be giving refurbished/fixed PS3s a new 1 year warranty instead of 90 days. Which I agree with, if that's what he was going for.

Exactly. I have almost finished selling my entire collection of PS1 and PS2 games so I no longer have a vested interest in the PlayStation brand. Honestly if my 60 GB dies again, I will most likely sell the games I have for the PS3 at that time and switch to the 360. Yeah it may not be as reliable, but at least the warranty is pretty damn decent.

mintylurb

Valkyr Junkie said:

That doesn't bode well for those us with the launch ps3's. And even if the newer models run cooler than the launch units, as long as they're manufactured using lead-free solders it appears ones ps3 will fail sooner or later.

Gahh and I was thinking of buying a slim ps3. I say this is all euroland's fault. Damn stoopid lead-free solder mandate..;<

MoxManiac said:
I agree with that for sure my 60gb got fixed late last year (oct?) so the 60 day warranty on mine is done.

Yeah, the 90 day warranty on refurb units is the problem. If the 60gigs are known to break down a second time within a year after being fixed then give us a damn one year warranty! Knowing the systems fall apart after a set time, and then giving us a warranty that falls well short of that, is a scam. I paid 150 for them to fix it, but if it happens again, I'm done.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im sad to announce that im a new member of the club.
I was playing inFAMOUS and it shut off.
Then when i turned on again, it does a yellow light and then goes to red and starts to blink.
According to the manual its overheat... but i waited like 4 hours to try again and it does the same.... she is dead isnt?
R.I.P Elizabeth

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thrakier said:
You could try to get a reflow of the motherboard if you want to invest money in a repair.
Yeah but, since i live on Argentina ... importing the mother and paying the repair.. its too expensive.
Maybe its better cry... a lot. and buy a new one.

Thrakier

Fersis said:
Yeah but, since i live on Argentina ... importing the mother and paying the repair.. its too expensive.
Maybe its better cry... a lot. and buy a new one.

You don't need a new motherboard. Just a heatgun.

MechDX

Watching National treasure on BD the movie froze. After that it didnt even show a disc in the system. Games boot up fine but BD movies wont.

60gb launch time unit. Think Ill just trade it in and move the LG BH200 SuperBlu player out of the bedroom.

Schrade

Just curious.. when people are saying Launch PS3s... are they only meaning the ones that were built at the very first launch of the PS3? Or the ones that were sold until they stopped selling the 60GB?

I got mine in November of 2007. It was like one of the very last 6 60GB PS3s in the Best Buy I bought it from.

Anyone who has had a 60GB PS3 die that they didn't actually buy at launch but bought new?

rexor0717

Schrade said:
Just curious.. when people are saying Launch PS3s... are they only meaning the ones that were built at the very first launch of the PS3? Or the ones that were sold until they stopped selling the 60GB?

I got mine in November of 2007. It was like one of the very last 6 60GB PS3s in the Best Buy I bought it from.

Anyone who has had a 60GB PS3 die that they didn't actually buy at launch but bought new?
Well, I bought mine a month after they came out, does that count? Mine did die though, 60gig.

Schrade

rexor0717 said:
Well, I bought mine a month after they came out, does that count? Mine did die though, 60gig.
Yeah that would be one of the ones built at launch. It'd be interesting to collect some statistics on this.

SonComet

AwRy108 said:
My 60GB (3 years old, now) recently failed on me due to overheating (stupidly, I had it on top of my DISH DVR unit). Sony charged me $150, I removed my HDD before sending it in (320GB), and in return I received a brand new 60GB unit with a HDD included. I noticed that the new HDD was a different brand than the one that originally came with the 60GB, so I'm hoping the Blu Ray Laser issue was resolved later on in their production as well?

Also, my friend's 60GB unit (~2.5 years old) just has its Blu Ray laser go belly-up a few months ago.

All-in-all, I am still pretty pissed that my $600 console shit out on me, especially because it sounds like the 40GB and 80GB SKU's rarely ever fail (in other words, the early adopter once again gets screwed); and it's even more aggravating b/c the replacement unit only has a 90 day warranty. However, considering the thousands of hours I've spend gaming on Sony consoles, I've never had one fail on me (I still own the original fat PS2), so I suppose I was about due. Regardless, I hope this one lasts at least until the price of a new one is under $300, because I'm now thinking that maybe it wasn't so important to snag the 60GB just to have 100% backwards compatibility (I don't even have enough time to enjoy all my PS3 games, let alone go back and play PS2 titles).

Oh, and BTW: the whole return process took less than 2 full weeks (3 days for the pre-paid coffin to arrive, 3 days to ship it to Sony, one day for them to replace it, and 3 days for it to be shipped back). Most productive 2 weeks I've had in years. LOL.

I guarantee that any console you put on top of a dvr unit will eventually fail due to overheating. I don't see how you can be upset about that. My time warner dvrs and direct tv dvr get almost burning to the touch if you have there vents covered in any way.

On another note my 60GB PS3 and zephyr 360 are still alive and kicking. I think I might buy a slim ps3 anyways even if my 60GB doesn't take a crap since I'd like a cooler running console. The only issue my PS3 is giving me lately is a very slight pause when entering the psn store. I remember that entering the store used to be very smooth with no hiccups. I'm unsure of whether it's my console or just a product of all the recent updates to the store.

Ello

SonComet said:
I guarantee that any console you put on top of a dvr unit will eventually fail due to overheating. I don't see how you can be upset about that. My time warner dvrs and direct tv dvr get almost burning to the touch if you have there vents covered in any way.

On another note my 60GB PS3 and zephyr 360 are still alive and kicking. I think I might buy a slim ps3 anyways even if my 60GB doesn't take a crap since I'd like a cooler running console. The only issue my PS3 is giving me lately is a very slight pause when entering the psn store. I remember that entering the store used to be very smooth with no hiccups. I'm unsure of whether it's my console or just a product of all the recent updates to the store.

I get those sometimes on my 80gb so I don't think it's your console that is doing it.

Ok guys, help me.

US PS3 60Gb here. I live in Europe, so it's an import model. Got it back in june 2007. I was playing Uncharted just now, when the PS3 just turned off and showed the red blinking light. The second time it booted up fine, played some of the game, but it refused to go back to the XMB, it just showed flashing black and white images.

What could be wrong? Please help! :(

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Man - this thread is starting to read like the initial RROD 360 thread for the PS3 60GB (okay, an exaggeration but still).

I have a 60GB launch unit (got it on launch day), still going strong. However...I didn't open it until a *year* after I bought it, so...I'm guessing I'm going to run into issues a year from now or so. When is PS3 slim supposed to hit stores?

CHRP718

Banned
TheOMan said:
Man - this thread is starting to read like the initial RROD 360 thread for the PS3 60GB (okay, an exaggeration but still).

I have a 60GB launch unit (got it on launch day), still going strong. However...I didn't open it until a *year* after I bought it, so...I'm guessing I'm going to run into issues a year from now or so. When is PS3 slim supposed to hit stores?
Before October, the new PS3 should be in stores.

_RT_

TheOMan said:

Relax. I still don't think them dying is the norm.
My launch 60 is still going strong.

MoxManiac

If my refurb dies i'm not paying another $150, i'll just get a slim. I hate the fact that Sony has me over a barrel because i've already invested in a fuckton of PS3 games/stuff so I can't just tell them to fuck off. So they win, regardless or what happens to me.

Ovid

So does the YLOD only happen with the 60GB SKU? What about the 20GB or the most recent 80GB SKUs?

Is it only a matter of time before my 60GB PS3 dies?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
tarius1210 said:
So does the YLOD only happen with the 60GB SKU? What about the 20GB or the most recent 80GB SKUs?

Is it only a matter of time before my 60GB PS3 dies?
20's do it too, I guess we'll have to wait another year* before seeing if the 80GB ones die too (it seems that the 60GB ones die at or after a two year mark).

*I think the 80GBs came out before MGS4 right?

Top Bottom