• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Today i reopened the PS3, i tighten up some screws and looks like it works! :D
I played inFAMOUS and all!

Trevelyon

Seems like my loading tray is about to kick it. Takes some discs in 80-90% of the way and punches them out again while beeping, makes some disturbing clunking sounds in the process. I gently assist some discs in so it won't have work as hard, some stay in and others don't.

All in all, it doesn't seem like something that'll gradually improve by itself over time. :(

Cyport

Earlier I said my bluetooth was broken so I rang Sony to see what I could do, they said they can collect it and repair it for £145! What a rip off, so I decided to open the case myself and see if there is anything wrong with it, found the bluetooth part, unplugged it, took some of the dust off and plugged it back in. Now the PS3 works like a beauty, no more drop outs and full connection.
Whoever had the same problem and spent £145 I feel sorry for wasting so much.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thrakier said:
Hmm...which screws?
ps3-bottom-case-screws.jpg

The ones inside of the red circles.
Now.. think about the purpose of those screws... yeah now you know why my PS3 didnt work with those all loose.
The green ones came with the picture :lol

FUCCCKKK!!!

Got the red flashing light today!! 60gig launch unit. :( Haven't phoned Sony yet. The problem is I have my own 320gig drive in the system now and I no longer have the original 60gig drive that came with the system.

Will Sony send back a refurb BC system with my 320gig drive in it or at least with it?

witness

Whooo my ps3 gets there and the same day sony sends me back a refurb! :D Mine was delivered this morning and I recieved an email from ups this evening with a new tracking number and saying I'm getting a package on friday from sony. So excited that I'll have it for this weekend :D

Benson

Just got the dreaded YLOD this morning on my launch 60gb model. I feel like I've just lost a family member!

Guess I'd better give Sony a call :(

I'm becoming worried with mine. My BC 80gb is starting to run hot very quickly after I turn it on. After five minutes the fans turn on, and another ten minutes and it starts to run louder. Is that a sign of things to come? My warranty JUST fucking expired too.

Vespene

I replaced the HDD with a 500 gig one, but now 25% of the time I turn it on, it gives me a "Correct Hard Drive not Found" message. After rebooting it, it works fine. But its annoying, and worrisome.

witness

Got a refurb back this morning, it looks brand freakin new. They must replace the cases on all refurbs because it looks incredible. No complaints about the system, runs perfect and is quiet as hell. Was downloading stuff off the PSN store all day :lol

Thank you sony for a great and speedy service!

Benson

Ordered my refurb with BC to come on tuesday for £145 :\

The guy on the support phoneline also mentioned continuousplay.co.uk for a service plan but apparently they've suspended that
continuousplay.jpg

jsnepo

Has anyone tried reballing a PS3 that got YLOD? I have already reflowed almost a dozen PS3s but YLOD keeps coming back. The least a PS3 lasted was only four days and the most was six weeks.

Nooreo

Just finished playing some dmc3 and just now i was about to turn on my ps3 (60 gig launch) again and their it was the blinking red lights of death (Its only yellow for a sec :\ )

FUUU!!! now i have to call sony and see if i can replace it for 150. I know they stopped production of the 60 gigs. So i ask those who have had experience what choices do i have when i choose to replace my 60 gig?. WIll they replace it with the 120 GIG PS3 or the 40 GIG?. Also i read they give you a free game or controller if you choose the 40 gig.

And i cant take out DMC3 the game aint mine : O

AwRy108

GT Vespene said:
I replaced the HDD with a 500 gig one, but now 25% of the time I turn it on, it gives me a "Correct Hard Drive not Found" message. After rebooting it, it works fine. But its annoying, and worrisome.

Mine started to do this, too; but it never led to anything bad. It sure is annoying, tho.

ty_hot

My PS3 died and with it all my savegames, gamedata, videos, musics, PSN games (50+)... and my PSN account...

(I shared my PSN account, and I can't activate it on another system...same for the PSN games shared)

And I tried that youtube video that teaches the fix for the YLOD... didn't work.

Anyway I don't think I'll have money to buy another PS3 this soon :lol (sad but true)so I'm probably going to sell the parts of it.

My launch system 60GB finally died today with the YLOD. I do not have a backup of the harddrive, so all my stuff is going to be gone. :( Anyway, I decided to just pay the $150 and get it repaired/replaced. I upgraded the original harddrive to a 320GB (and got rid of the original drive) so I'm thinking of just sending the system back without a harddrive inside it. I assume that won't matter to them or affect the repair process. *shrug*

PasteyMF

RIP 40GB unit from Oct. 2007. Flashing red light.
Burnout Paradise, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles save games, you will be missed.

I was 1 shard away from the 100% Blast Shards trophy in inFamous. SON OF A MUUAHFHUUUUUUUKKKKKK

YoungHav

Banned
:lol (most likely temporarily) Fixed my PS3. I came so close to cracking and buying another one today but decided to fuck w/my system (hasn't read a disc since April). Kept shoving different discs in and out, started it upside down, sideways etc..., then I punched the thing and it started reading discs. Popped in a CD cleaner, now gonna try a game. Shiiiiiiet, I'm coppin' either Fight Night or UFC toniiight. Harambi! Was gonna look for a job tonight, that'll have to wait.

tsigo

I'm curious, what prevents you from taking out your hard drive with all the saves and installing it in the replacement PS3 once it gets back to you?

Losing all of your saves and stuff seems like a major, major flaw that I hadn't considered.

YLOD last week, drove it to a place in Michigan that fixes it and got it back in a few hours. So far so good and only $70.

60 Gg Launch. And it does seem that they are popping all over the place. PM me if you want to know the place I took it to.

xinoart

Banned
tsigo said:
I'm curious, what prevents you from taking out your hard drive with all the saves and installing it in the replacement PS3 once it gets back to you?

Losing all of your saves and stuff seems like a major, major flaw that I hadn't considered.

Each HD installed in a PS3 is tied to that specific machine. It does suck but I guess it's sonys way of keeping people from sharing whole hard drives full of content. *shrugs*

As a side note: I had my OG 60gigger laser die on me. I can give a link to a good seller of the lasers and a semi-thorough guide for taking the PS3 apart. Also, don't use a alan wrench to open the PS3 case. Use a TORX tool. I found it very hard to find someone who even sells lasers for the 60gigs for some reason. Maybe they're easier to come by now though. Either way if someone wants to get the info from me, just shoot a PM.

So pissed.

Sent mine back last Thursday 7/16 and still nothing this week. :|

I'm sure the bullshit slot loading drive is what's causing the hang up. The jagoffs at Sony have to get my Gamefly game out of the drive before they can send me back a replacement unit.

Ugh.

No slot loading drives in the future plz.

mintylurb

GT Vespene said:

AwRy108 said:
Mine started to do this, too; but it never led to anything bad. It sure is annoying, tho.
Most likely because your hdd is sata 3.0 and some older ps3 models have trouble recognizing those drives upon boot. What you can do is if your hdd supports it, you can force it to operate as sata 1.5. I had to that to my hdd and it hasn't given me that hard drive not found message since then which was about 6 months ago.

Check this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348232

Arsenic

I'd never thought this would happen to me, but i just got the blinking red light issue (all of my past Playstation products has never failed or broke) so im pretty pissed the most expensive one cant last for longer than 2 and a half years.

Anyway, im thinking of leaving it off a few days and see if that would give me any luck.

Is the blinking red lights related to the fan malfunctioning, the power supply not receiving enough "juice", or maybe both? Does anyone know

Fair Witness said:
My launch system 60GB finally died today with the YLOD. I do not have a backup of the harddrive, so all my stuff is going to be gone. :( Anyway, I decided to just pay the $150 and get it repaired/replaced. I upgraded the original harddrive to a 320GB (and got rid of the original drive) so I'm thinking of just sending the system back without a harddrive inside it. I assume that won't matter to them or affect the repair process. *shrug*

Won't matter. My Launch 20gig was stalling on every disc (would spin for about 10 minutes and never load then just sit on the XMB.. taunting ..) As I replaced my HD with a 160 in the months following launch I was worried about getting my HD back and couldn't find the original 20 gig that I had torn out. Sent it to Sony empty and a week later got my refurb, BC, 20 gig back .... with another 20 gig HD inside of it :D

Nice of Sony I think.

Has run fine ever since. Went tits up on me about a year ago.. refurb has been a champ (keep it on for days at a time with no problems.)

My PS3 is no longer reading DVDs burned to DVDR-/+.

This fucking sucks. Here I have a $400 media machine, and I can't even play my daughter's dance recital video on it.

Plays fine on my $25 DVD player though.

I hate this generation.

80 GB, bought in Feb 09..

:(

expy

Banned
gregor7777 said:
My PS3 is no longer reading DVDs burned to DVDR-/+.

This fucking sucks. Here I have a $400 media machine, and I can't even play my daughter's dance recital video on it.

Plays fine on my $25 DVD player though.

I hate this generation.

80 GB, bought in Feb 09..

:(

Rip and transfer or stream?

expy said:
Rip and transfer or stream?

I'll have to stream it. That's shitty though. They played fine a month ago, and now they don't play at all.

Fucking piece of shit PS3.

I'm a step away from 100% PC gaming and saying fuck you to all the consoles.

expy

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I'll have to stream it. That's shitty though. They played fine a month ago, and now they don't play at all.

Fucking piece of shit PS3.

I'm a step away from 100% PC gaming and saying fuck you to all the consoles.

So, basically going handheld only? lol

FatBaby

So I have a question that I can't seem to find a clear answer on, so maybe someone here can help me out.

Back in December, my PS3 died, and I went through all the trouble of getting it replaced. Lost all my saves and PSN game, etc.. etc. So the other day I decided I wanted to install Wipeout HD and play it again.

Now, I had always heard that you only get 5 activations, or that you can only download it 5 times, or something. I guess what my question is, since this is a different machine, and I assume this would be the second activation for Wipeout HD, does that mean I can only download it 3 more times on the machine that I am on or can I download it as many times as I like now, since it is activated?

Does that make any sense? I don't know how else to word it. Any help would be great. :)

expy

Banned
FatBaby said:
So I have a question that I can't seem to find a clear answer on, so maybe someone here can help me out.

Back in December, my PS3 died, and I went through all the trouble of getting it replaced. Lost all my saves and PSN game, etc.. etc. So the other day I decided I wanted to install Wipeout HD and play it again.

Now, I had always heard that you only get 5 activations, or that you can only download it 5 times, or something. I guess what my question is, since this is a different machine, and I assume this would be the second activation for Wipeout HD, does that mean I can only download it 3 more times on the machine that I am on or can I download it as many times as I like now, since it is activated?

Does that make any sense? I don't know how else to word it. Any help would be great. :)

Once activated on a machine you can download it as many times as you like on that machine.

Shambles

DoctorWho said:
FUCCCKKK!!!

Got the red flashing light today!! 60gig launch unit. :( Haven't phoned Sony yet. The problem is I have my own 320gig drive in the system now and I no longer have the original 60gig drive that came with the system.

Will Sony send back a refurb BC system with my 320gig drive in it or at least with it?

Just send it back without the HDD if you don't have it. If they don't bother to check and swap it out it's their own fault. Don't send your 320GB, you most likely won't get it back. All they do is swap out your broken unit with another already repaired unit that they got from someone earlier. You won't get your same system back. And one more thing...

IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING YOUR OLD HARD DRIVE AND PUTTING IT IN THE NEW UNIT IT WILL NOT WORK

When your PS3 formats the drive it locks it to a unit of ID of that specific machine. Use the backup utility to save your save files etc... I lost all of my downloads and saves by thinking I could just put my 160GB in the new machine and it would work.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Help me GAF, my Euro 60GB PS3 has just died with blinking red light.

I brough it around to a friends last night and when it put it back in its normal spot, it wouldn't come on right. Turn it on and fans spin for a second along with yellow light for split second and then blinking red light.

What the cause of it? Same problem as YLOD or is it power supply problem?

My FUCKING saves will be gone now if I have to send it back to Sony.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I rang Sony and I hear that the ONLY replace your PS3, not repair it. Its basically a replacement service costing €160 where they replace your console.

If I do spend the money and get a replacement from Sony, will it be the same model PS3, send in 60GB and get 60GB replacement back?

If I open the system and break the warranty sticker (warranty has expired anyway) will they still take it back and replace?

navanman said:
If I do spend the money and get a replacement from Sony, will it be the same model PS3, send in 60GB and get 60GB replacement back?

If I open the system and break the warranty sticker (warranty has expired anyway) will they still take it back and replace?

Yes and yes (supposedly).

Arsenic

navanman said:
I rang Sony and I hear that the ONLY replace your PS3, not repair it. Its basically a replacement service costing €160 where they replace your console.

That interesting. My PS3 also just died (blinking red lights) the other night after i moved it. I put it back in the same position, played a game for about 2 hours, then it just shut off.

Im in the US so i cant provide an accurate answer for you, but they are replacing mine with another 60gig.

dimeat

Neo Member
Sigh.

My 80GB MGS4 PS3 just died on me after just one month of usage. Got the YLOD while trying to play a Blu-Ray.

Bought it back in April (didn't get to start using it until school was out) so I'm still in warranty. What are people luck with deactivating PSN accounts through Sony on a broken PS3? I don't care so much about my personal account but I have a Rock Band DLC share that's obviously maxed out. That's the one I really want back.

Top Bottom