• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

YoungHav

Banned
This fucking sucks. My broken PS3 is out of warranty, I've come to terms with paying $150 and having a shitty 90 day warranty. The thing is these PS3 slim and July price drop rumors. If the price is dropping or if the redesigned PS3 is going to have more reliable hardware, I might as well buy a brand new $300 system (and get a real warranty) then pay $150 for some refurbished machine w/a 90 day warranty. This is my last summer where I can bum around and game casually; I can't wait for a fall price drop/Slim.

Play now unlimitedly and risk being screwed by Sony later vs playing w/job/real world responsibilities restricting, save money, while my PS3 sits on a shelf all summer. F you sony!

bro1

Banned
buy your PS3 from COSTCO. It comes with a FREE lifetime warranty. I plan on replacing my unit in August with the new systems and get some money back as well. At COSTCO, they have a life time return policy on many items.

nerdy1one said:
buy your PS3 from COSTCO. It comes with a FREE lifetime warranty. I plan on replacing my unit in August with the new systems and get some money back as well. At COSTCO, they have a life time return policy on many items.

Pretty sure they got rid of that last year. And I am done with the PS3 until the slim comes out, a 90 day warranty is bs.

witness

Welp called up sony this morning and went through and paid the $150 to get the sucker replaced. Broken ethernet adapter/freezing issues on start up. I just hope I can get it back in two weeks because thats my bday and I'm getting a couple of games and psn cards.

witness said:
Welp called up sony this morning and went through and paid the $150 to get the sucker replaced. Broken ethernet adapter/freezing issues on start up. I just hope I can get it back in two weeks because thats my bday and I'm getting a couple of games and psn cards.

Mine was back in 4 days. I lived a few hours from distribution center though if that means anything.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
pixelbox said:
I ask again, are you cleaning your units? If not then you can't complain.

Really irrelevant...many people (me included) took great care of their launch PS3 systems (cleaning the unit, keeping it out in the open, etc...) and we still had our systems YLOD on us...

I still think that time will prove that Sony had a manufacturing defect with their launch units....

EDIT-- Another one of my friends just had his launch unit YLOD on him over the July 4th weekend...

bro1

Banned
Costco still covers the PS3

THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, IPODS / MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

PS3 is considered a Toy by COSTCO.

Buy it there and you are good to go. They usually give you a great package deal in the store.

OK, my PS3 is officially dead. won't even start up now and I still have a game inside. I'm planning on getting a new one, is there any way I can transfer my data from the dead ps3 over to a new one?

Please help guys. :(

YoungHav

Banned
Thanks for the COSTCO info guys.

Based on save times and estimates, my blu-ray disc drive gave out after 531hrs of gaming (not counting downloadable titles).

Silicon Knight said:
OK, my PS3 is officially dead. won't even start up now and I still have a game inside. I'm planning on getting a new one, is there any way I can transfer my data from the dead ps3 over to a new one?

No. When the HDD is formatted, it's done in a proprietary way that makes it impossible to copy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Silicon Knight said:

No luck, sorry. Your data is lost forever (except trophies and PSN content, which you will be able to re-download).

Oh, you also lost one activation.

depward

Silicon Knight said:

Nope! Had the same issue when my PS3 broke. Sucks :(

Thanks guys, that sucks. The game disc is still in there too, guess I'll open the player up and pick that one out.

No we play the waiting game for the PS3 Slim. No games interest me until Uncharted 2, anyway.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
*sigh*

PS3 tray started to grind out of the blue.

Only grinds when movies (bluray or dvd) are inserted though and only grinds during start up of the disc. It kinda works out cuz my warranty for my 80gb MGS4 PS3 ended yesterday, the day I called lol.

Guess I will be backing up my hard drive :D

Has anyone tried the utility for system to system? Does it work? I only tried it from Drive to drive.

g35twinturbo said:
*sigh*

PS3 tray started to grind out of the blue.

Only grinds when movies (bluray or dvd) are inserted though and only grinds during start up of the disc. It kinda works out cuz my warranty for my 80gb MGS4 PS3 ended yesterday, the day I called lol.

Guess I will be backing up my hard drive :D

Has anyone tried the utility for system to system? Does it work? I only tried it from Drive to drive.

You're lucky you are just in warranty. Lucky for me my credit card covered the charge for my repair through a free extended warranty.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The_Inquisitor said:
Yes I did but that's not the point. The console should be designed to accept a reasonable amount of dust/wear.

Launch unit here, still going strong. And I use it almost everyday.

ravien56

Kagari said:
Launch unit here, still going strong. And I use it almost everyday.
Yeep same here use it for 4 hrs at least everyday 60 gb since launch...the only pple who post here are for when they break..,

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The_Inquisitor said:
You just jynxed yourself. :lol

We'll see! I keep my system set up vertical with absolutely no other obstructions around it, so it has more than enough air. I wonder if most people who have the overheating issues have it set up or down D:

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
The_Inquisitor said:
You're lucky you are just in warranty. Lucky for me my credit card covered the charge for my repair through a free extended warranty.

yeah, lucked out. I'm sure I would have atleast talk to a manager about 1 day over my warranty though.

Oh I just got the games by the way leaving feedback now :D

Kagari said:
We'll see! I keep my system set up vertical with absolutely no other obstructions around it, so it has more than enough air. I wonder if most people who have the overheating issues have it set up or down D:

Mine was vertical. *Cue ominous music*

yeah, lucked out. I'm sure I would have atleast talk to a manager about 1 day over my warranty though.

Oh I just got the games by the way leaving feedback now

Glad to hear it! I just shipped 15 packages today, and am done selling for now.

Sye d'Burns

Well, in a case of irony that has left me weeping bitter tears my 80 gig Motorstorm bundled PS3 has decided that it no longer wants to read discs. I say ironic because my three oldest children have been shuffled off to the inlaws for two weeks and I actually would have had uninterrupted (excepting the baby) time to enjoy with my backlog.

I bought my PS3 30Mar2008 at Kmart (hey, BC PS3s weren't exactly easy to find last March) and fortunately, I guess, I bought the "smart plan" with it. They're sending a prepaid shipping label and claim that I will get my PS3 back. I'm somewhat worried I'm going to end up with a 40 or something.

I'm also worried that since it's not going back to Sony but some outfit called Warranty Logistics, that any future work I had to have Sony due might be refused if they aren't a licensed repair center. The CSR assured me I was fine on both counts but sometimes words are just that.

I've got a 320 gig hard drive in it currently which I suppose I will swap with the original 80 gig that I've been using in an external case for storage on the PS3. Yellow Dog is installed in OtherOS. If I do end up with a different PS3 and have to reformat my 320, is it going to reformat the entire drive, or just the PS3 Partition?

pixelbox

Well that's why i asked. I have a launch model and was a little worried. You guys are on the defense because you probably failed to clean it. Just wiping the outside and shit. And while it's true it should withstand reasonably wear and tear, the ps3 other than your computer is the most powerful electronic in your home. That alone should warrant extra care. Plus you say that most people here take care of it without decent intel. Just assumptions based off you and some friends. Edit, i was only referring to YLOD and not Blu disk error since i had a replacement in '07.

pixelbox said:
Well that's why i asked. I have a launch model and was a little worried. You guys are on the defense because you probably failed to clean it. Just wiping the outside and shit. And while it's true it should withstand reasonably wear and tear, but honestly, the ps3 other than your computer is the most powerful electronic in your home. Plus you say that most people here care of it without detailed intel. Just assumptions. Edit, i was only referring to YLOD and not Blu disk error since i had a replacement in '07.

No. There is a problem with the launch PS3s.

pixelbox

The_Inquisitor said:
I got you, just don't want to be ripped up alive for others misconceptions. BTW what models are considered launch models. It also seems to be issue other than launch models.

Thrakier

The_Inquisitor said:

It's not only with the launch models. Also give the other models more time, maybe they will start to fail too. The YLOD on the mainboard is basically the same fault as the RROD. I posted that when I had my first YLOD and talked to the repair shop, some people here were tearing me apart....but whatever, it's the truth.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I got a heatgun... tomorrow i will perform surgery on Elizabeth
(40GB model)

Thrakier

Fersis said:
I got a heatgun... tomorrow i will perform surgery on Elizabeth
(40GB model)

ASK DR. RAIST FOR ASSISTANCE. THEN START THE OPERATION. GOOD LUCK.

:D

Elizabeth will be undead, like my console...ZOMBIE PS3.

lunlunqq

Launch 60G YLoDed on me. Have been PS3less for a few days. I've wrote down the serial#. I think I will call them tomorrow. Paying $150 for a refurbished system sux. But I think it's the only way (and cheapest way) to get a 60G PS3 with BC, right?

Also, I'm not attempting to fix it myself because I heard from somewhere that, if you remove the warranty tag, sony won't fix it even if you pay the $150. Is that true?

i am fearful of my 60gb crapping out on me as of late.

there's a 90% chance that if i stick a blu-ray movie in it will error out and say cannot play the media. clicking on the bd icon again loads it fine, but EVERY. SINGLE. BD. I'VE WATCHED over the last few months start freezing and skipping chapters about an hour and a half in.

at first i thought it was netflix but the discs are PRISTINE. i shouldn't have to take the discs out and put them back in, find those chapters, and hope it plays fine.

lunlunqq said:
Also, I'm not attempting to fix it myself because I heard from somewhere that, if you remove the warranty tag, sony won't fix it even if you pay the $150. Is that true?

In this thread people have mentioned they'll still offer you a $150 refurb even if you remove the warranty tag.

lunlunqq

Valkyr Junkie said:
In this thread people have mentioned they'll still offer you a $150 refurb even if you remove the warranty tag.

oh, really. i have to make a decision soon... can't stand the days without my PS3 any longer...

witness

Getting my coffin box in tomorrow, should have been here today but it was delivered a day late for some reason. I hope I get it back before they deliver air packages at 6:30pm so I can send it back same day. When sony sends you a "new" system, do they send it 1 day air?

My friend just got Farcry 2, and when He was playing it on my ps3; I noticed some very fast, sporadic green flashes on screen..... When I first asked him if he saw it and he didn't notice it at all ( although after I repeatedly pointed it out he did).. There were also 2 occasions where there were some really weird texture gliches.... 2 of my(18 or so) other games have had an occasional texture glitch, but nothing consistent or terribly worrisome...... Anyway in light of what is going on with farcry 2, does GAF think my GPU is going bad on my PS3? I have a 60 GB and if it is I must have a 60 GB back

bro1

Banned
FarCry 2 was the game that showed me that my launch 60 GB PS3 was about to go. I too got weird texture issues and overall probelms.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

anyone?

also, does the backup utility does saves also?

-viper- said:
This thread is scaring me D:

what is a good 250gb external hard-drive i could get for my PS3 to backup all my data?

I have a 250gb drive in my ps3 but when I did the backup to my thumb drive (64gb), it only used 51gb or so for the backup.

witness

Well got my coffin in from ups this morning, so glad I recently moved cause ups didn't get to my old house until 6pm ish. So I packed that sucker up and brought it over to the ups store just a bit ago. So excited that when I get one back next week cause I will FINALLY be able to go online! I am so ready for R2 co op :D

Cyport

Hey, my first time in this thread and hopefully last! My PS3 bluetooth has just stopped working, by that I mean it isnt a controller or headset problem the actual bluetooth within the PS3 is bust, I have a 60gb UK PS3 so I was wondering what support is like in the UK and if anyone has had the same problem?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OK , i tried that 'reflow' the mother thing... it fixed the yellow light of death BUT after 5 minutes on it appears a message that says that the system is too hot and has to shut off.
And the fan goes crazy loud... :(
I think that Elizabeth is done... time to start thinking on Isabel.

My launch 60 laser went out this weekend. I ordered the new laser and was able to repair it myself last night. It now works though the drive does seem louder...

Fersis said:
OK , i tried that 'reflow' the mother thing... it fixed the yellow light of death BUT after 5 minutes on it appears a message that says that the system is too hot and has to shut off.
And the fan goes crazy loud... :(
I think that Elizabeth is done... time to start thinking on Isabel.

Did you do a good job of cleaning off the old thermal grease and reapplying?

Fersis

Valkyr Junkie said:
Did you do a good job of cleaning off the old thermal grease and reapplying?
I think so... im going to send it to repairs to some guy who knows more than me.

Azrael

I experienced graphical artifacts while playing Fallout 3 on my refurbished PS3 tonight, after about 13 months of use =/. My original PS3 started exhibiting graphical artifacts after about a year and a half. Luckily for me it was also one of the systems that wouldn't run GTA 4, so I got an out-of-warranty replacement for free. I can't get a free fix this time and I don't know if I trust these refurbished systems enough to pay $150 for one with only a 90-day warranty. Going to make a new backup for my game saves in any event since it's only a matter of time.

Top Bottom