• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

damn my brothers 20 gig launch ps3 is a beast, never had any problems at all (knocks wood). I sold it to him on launch, I regret this, ha.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
dreamer3kx said:
damn my brothers 20 gig launch ps3 is a beast, never had any problems at all (knocks wood). I sold it to him on launch, I regret this, ha.
So far my 60GB has been like this, I shouldn't be worried really since I don't play more than an hour a day but stories like these still make me piss my pants

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Teetris said:
So far my 60GB has been like this, I shouldn't be worried really since I don't play more than an hour a day but stories like these still make me piss my pants

Worried is the wrong term to use, but anyone with a launch PS3 should be aware....not trying to scare anyone here but my launch 60GB performed flawlessly until one day it just YLOD with no warning while playing Infamous. At this point, my STRONG suggestion to anyone with a launch unit would be to backup your stuff on a regular basis due to the unpredictability of YLOD.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Coffin is on it's way. For those who've done it, I just need to pack the console and no cables right?

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Worried is the wrong term to use, but anyone with a launch PS3 should be aware....not trying to scare anyone here but my launch 60GB performed flawlessly until one day it just YLOD with no warning while playing Infamous. At this point, my STRONG suggestion to anyone with a launch unit would be to backup your stuff on a regular basis due to the unpredictability of YLOD.
Yes. Mine just died and unfortunately someone formatted my backup with other things.

Dandy

Hell yeah! I fixed my 60GB with the help of the gilksy videos. Stoked, but I'm not gonna play any games til I make a backup of my data tomorrow haha. I'm just watching movies for now. :D

noah111

Still Alive
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Indeed, just get an external HDD and do routine backups at least once a month or so..

Mine shat on me out of the blue basically, but granted I was using my system quite often since my laptop had also died on me earlier.

Dandy said:
Hell yeah! I fixed my 60GB with the help of the gilksy videos. Stoked, but I'm not gonna play any games til I make a backup of my data tomorrow haha. I'm just watching movies for now. :D
Nice, so you have a unit with the memory card ports right? His unit in that video didn't look like it had those so I was wondering if the internals are all that different to disassemble.

Ranger X

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Routine back-up is always a good idea but your PS3 isn't suddendly breaking for nothing. And games doesn't break consoles either so Infamous is not the direct cause.
How many hours in a row were you playing Infamous at that point? What was the temperature in your room? Humidity percentage? etc. Those are the questions to ask when investigating a sudden break.

Ranger X

By the way, how is it going when you want to backup? I really should backup mine :lol

Do you need an external hard drive or I can link the PS3 to my PC and drop the goods in there?

Ranger X said:
Do you need an external hard drive or I can link the PS3 to my PC and drop the goods in there? .

Sadly, an external HDD is pretty much a must if you have a lot of stuff. They aren't terribly expensive and you can also use it for other things.

I REALLY hope the same thing doesn't happen to my 60GB replacement... It seems to have been a brand new one, the enclosure is all new and shiny and it was covered in that plastic wrap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
g35twinturbo said:
by someone you mean you.
Nah, it was a friend who I lent to. He was backing up and deleted my partition unfortunately.

polyh3dron said:
I REALLY hope the same thing doesn't happen to my 60GB replacement... It seems to have been a brand new one, the enclosure is all new and shiny and it was covered in that plastic wrap.
Don't they all come like that? I guess I will see and report back in some detail when I get mine back.

polyh3dron said:
Oh don't pull that. My room is always cool and it's dry where I live since I live in LA. A console that is supposed to have a 10 Year Lifespan™ shouldn't be dying 2.5 years after purchasing it, no matter how often you use it. I mean shit, it's made to Do Everything™ so obviously it's going to get a lot of hours of usage.

This is a systemic issue.
You big diva :p

Ranger X said:
Routine back-up is always a good idea but your PS3 isn't suddendly breaking for nothing. And games doesn't break consoles either so Infamous is not the direct cause.
How many hours in a row were you playing Infamous at that point? What was the temperature in your room? Humidity percentage? etc. Those are the questions to ask when investigating a sudden break.

Oh don't pull that. My room is always cool and it's dry where I live since I live in LA. A console that is supposed to have a 10 Year Lifespan™ shouldn't be dying 2.5 years after purchasing it, no matter how often you use it. I mean shit, it's made to Do Everything™ so obviously it's going to get a lot of hours of usage.

This is a systemic issue.

noah111

Still Alive
Ranger X said:
Actually you can suddenly get a YLOD, especially if you have an old launch unit and use your system a lot.

Either way, you should do backups regularly, it isn't a hard task or anything.. if you're confident your system is safe then do one every other month or so..

xinoart

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Ugh. Mines not loud but I can hear when the bluray disc being accessed. It was virtually silent before but now it's quite a bit more noticeable. Is this a warning sign? It's a 20GB by the way.

From my own experiences, that's normal. For some reason when watchign movies, the fans go at a higher RPM. At least I hope it's normal or I gotta replace something else soon! Eeps! :p

Dandy said:

Gilksy saved me several hundred bucks. Everyone should visit/read his stuff.

Ranger X said:

That is actually false. My first PS3 died due to faulty code in Call of Duty 3. On some 60giggers, the code in the game will spontaneously cause the power supply to fry. It's not an isolated issue either. Google it if you don't believe me. There are hundreds if not thousands of people that had the same problem as me.

Sentry said:
I plan on doing the YLOD fix later this week, after I buy a heat gun and that thermal paste compound. I'll be following these two guides, a PDF tutorial & this YouTube video walkthrough.

The thing is from what I can tell the unit he is dismantling (in the PDF & id) isn't an original 60GB launch unit, thus it doesn't have those memory card ports in the front. :\

I'm worried i'll open it up only to find a slightly different setup than what he shows. Is it really that large of a difference (internally)?

Nope it's really simple. it's just a small looking motherboard held on by screws. I'm sure you can easily figure it out. The only tip I have besides not stripping any screw or making sure you get enough thermal stuff on there, is don't go grabbing stuff and pulling (including the case). There are alot of wires in there and cables that will easily pop out and if not careful you can rip them. Slow and steady and you'll be just fine. It really is simple as hell. Anyone who has taken theirs apart can tell you that. It's not daunting in the least.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Coffin is on it's way. For those who've done it, I just need to pack the console and no cables right?

Yes. Mine just died and unfortunately someone formatted my backup with other things.

No you send everything back to them. Including the controller. I have no idea why. It makes no sense to me either.

There seems to be alot of misinformation in this thread. People need to read more about their system if they are attempting to repair it. It's not daunting at all. You don't need a external HD. For doing regular backups, yes. But besides that there is no reason to get one. Buy a new internal HD. They're mostly cheaper and faster for the most part. Not to mention the fact that you can't install game data to an external drive. Sony should fix that. The systems Sony sends back I'm 90% pretty sure are refurb units. They just stick a new case on them with the clingwrap still attached. You have to get the same blu-ray laser that comes in your PS3. substitutions will NOT work. It's easy enough to google which laser you have in your system.

edit: Sorry for all the edits. I'm trying to answer every question I know the answer to. ;)

Ranger X

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Sadly, an external HDD is pretty much a must if you have a lot of stuff. They aren't terribly expensive and you can also use it for other things.

Thank you. But is it possible by USB to my computer?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
If you send your PS3 in for repairs, do you HAVE to accept a refurb back?

Can you insist on them repairing your actual machine and returning that one to you, even if it takes longer?

I'd hate to send them my 60GB unit and get some 80 or 160GB unit back.

Ranger X said:
Thank you. But is it possible by USB to my computer?

I'm pretty sure you can only back up to and restore from some kind of USB storage. Since most people have more data on the PS3 than a flash drive will hold, then an external HDD is the obvious choice. I don't know if you can then copy and store the backup data on the PC and then be able to copy it back to the external drive if you need to restore it. Are you thinking of borrowing one from a friend or something?

xinoart

Banned
Fatghost said:
If you send your PS3 in for repairs, do you HAVE to accept a refurb back?

Can you insist on them repairing your actual machine and returning that one to you, even if it takes longer?

I'd hate to send them my 60GB unit and get some 80 or 160GB unit back.

You get back the exact same model. You send in a BC 60, you get one back.

noah111

Still Alive
xinoart said:
Nope it's really simple. it's just a small looking motherboard held on by screws. I'm sure you can easily figure it out. The only tip I have besides not stripping any screw or making sure you get enough thermal stuff on there, is don't go grabbing stuff and pulling (including the case). There are alot of wires in there and cables that will easily pop out and if not careful you can rip them. Slow and steady and you'll be just fine. It really is simple as hell. Anyone who has taken theirs apart can tell you that. It's not daunting in the least.
Figured as much, i'm definitely not one of the idiots who takes apart delicate hardware like i'm browsing through laundry, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the heat sink compound though, is possible I may put TOO much? :s I hear it varies with whatever paste you're using, but hopefully everything keikaku. :D

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
Dammit.

i replaced my laser with, what apparently was a just as shitty chinese refurb that these A-HOLES at gadgetresurrection sold me.. Of course i'm going to try it when i get it though right? maybe it works type thing...

Now my drive won't accept discs. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the laser fouling the daughterboard or not (seems like it), it accepted discs fine with the old laser in it after i rebuilt it and had it working twice in a row, i moved NOTHING in replacing the laser, and now the drive is shot.. Worm gear/Optical rail will not synchronize...

Oh, btw, once you work on PS3's you realize just how horribly cheaply built they are. I was amazed at the quality of these parts... just, wow.. I thought PS3's were tanks till i opened one...

I'm going to try PSR on it. really pissed off. I guess i'm out another 109 on it.

Of course My PS3 died while playing Uncharted on FW 3.00... whod'a thunk it?
FUCK YOU SONY

Anyone here claiming their PS3 works fine forever or whatever the hell will find that these lasers have a very finite life.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'm pretty sure you can only back up to and restore from some kind of USB storage. Since most people have more data on the PS3 than a flash drive will hold, then an external HDD is the obvious choice. I don't know if you can then copy and store the backup data on the PC and then be able to copy it back to the external drive if you need to restore it. Are you thinking of borrowing one from a friend or something?

He means a USB cable

An no you can't, as the HDD in the PC isn't seen as an external device; just like you can't connect two PC's together via a standard "USB" cable. But try a crossover one, I doubt it would work for the PS3 though

xinoart

Banned
Sentry said:
Figured as much, i'm definitely not one of the idiots who takes apart delicate hardware like i'm browsing through laundry, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the heat sink compound though, is possible I may put TOO much? :s I hear it varies with whatever paste you're using, but hopefully everything keikaku. :D

I'm not sure if you can really put "too"much on. I'm sure you can, but I'm not PC tech guy at all. In fact when I opened my PS3 for the first time, I know I had a ton of it on there. It was just poorly distributed. You can look back in my post history or in this thread. There were huge clumps. This is just me guessing/assuming, but as long as it's evenly spread on the chip, you should be fine.

Oh and something I just thought of, make sure you take off all the extra little pads on the smaller chips before you go for the heat gun. Those lil bastards will melt right on from what I hear.

noah111

Still Alive
xinoart said:
I'm not sure if you can really put "too"much on. I'm sure you can, but I'm not PC tech guy at all. In fact when I opened my PS3 for the first time, I know I had a ton of it on there. It was just poorly distributed. You can look back in my post history or in this thread. There were huge clumps. This is just me guessing/assuming, but as long as it's evenly spread on the chip, you should be fine.

Oh and something I just thought of, make sure you take off all the extra little pads on the smaller chips before you go for the heat gun. Those lil bastards will melt right on from what I hear.
Nice to hear, yeah I definitely will spread it as evenly as possible either way. And about those little rubber like pads, I saw them in the vid & PDF, definitely wouldn't want them to melt off. :lol

xinoart said:
That is actually false. My first PS3 died due to faulty code in Call of Duty 3. On some 60giggers, the code in the game will spontaneously cause the power supply to fry. It's not an isolated issue either. Google it if you don't believe me. There are hundreds if not thousands of people that had the same problem as me.

That's kinda wierd for a piece of software to be able to do...

Stupid question time: has the firmware 3.00/3.01 issue with game freezes been 'resolved' yet? It seemed to me, looking at collection threads, that it's mainly an issues with 60 and 40gb sku's. So I don't want to update my 60GB just yet, until it's safe to do.

Agent X

BigNastyCurve said:
I thought that saves weren't transferable between different PS3's.

My PS3 broke earlier this year (see page 19 of this thread--I had the same concern), and practically every saved game file that I was able to salvage from it has worked flawlessly on my replacement PS3. These were all saved onto a USB flash drive before the system broke

Keep in mind that there were a few save files that are "locked" (mostly Capcom games, such as Street Fighter IV), so I couldn't transfer those over at all.

The room temperature where I played my ps3 was kinda warm, but hell it was the PS3 that was making most of the warmness... I guess I have to run the AC while the PS3 is in use. Also, I'm going to use a cover when the system is not in use...I'm not letting any dust get inside the system.

My new / refurb system will be here on Tuesday 10/6/09, not so bad, I sent the system off on the 28th

Dandy

Sentry said:
Nice, so you have a unit with the memory card ports right? His unit in that video didn't look like it had those so I was wondering if the internals are all that different to disassemble.
Yeah, mine has the card slots, but the disassembly was identical to what Gilksy showed in the vids. It's pretty easy to follow as long as you keep track of all the screws.

xinoart

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
That's kinda wierd for a piece of software to be able to do...

Stupid question time: has the firmware 3.00/3.01 issue with game freezes been 'resolved' yet? It seemed to me, looking at collection threads, that it's mainly an issues with 60 and 40gb sku's. So I don't want to update my 60GB just yet, until it's safe to do.

Yeah it is weird. I first thought it was just my system, like I got a dud. After I looked online I saw that there were multiple threads about it on the official PS forums. Had I known it was ever an issue, I never would've bought the damn game. Not only that, but they refuse to claim any responsibility on the issue and have never issued a patch for it. This in turns makes me wary of every buying another game from that particular studio (although I did buy world at war afterwards). I still waited a good while before buying from that studio ever again though. Blah on them!

Fatghost said:
But not my actual unit, right?

Correct. You get a different unit. But you will get back a 60 gig if that's what you sent in. The serial numbers are always different.

Dynamic3

For the last three days my system has been getting very loud when the BR disc is being accessed (for instance streaming loading in-game). It is definitely the disc because these sounds aren't present when playing DD games. The sound almost sounds like a vibration, and if I pick the system up it becomes muted. 80GB BC btw.

Thoughts?

I bought a used 60GB PS3 that seems to overheat a lot. I've tried the Haze demo and the PS3 would turn off with a blinking red light after <5 minutes of play. I don't see a yellow light when it turns off and I'm able to turn it back on after this. It's also happened with the UC2 demo. I have disassembled it to clean out the dust and I replaced the thermal paste on the gpu and cpu after cleaning up the mess that was there. I now have the top plastic covers off with the console placed horizontally. My room temperature is usually around 70F, the PS3 has plenty of space around it, and the screws for the heatsink are tight. Any suggestions?

Error 80010514. PS2 discs read and play fine. PS3 discs either don't show up on the XMB at all, won't install, or in the best-case scenario where I CAN boot them, won't get past loading screens. I am going to snap. I have already formatted, did nothing of course, but I had to try.

xinoart

Banned
belvedere said:
I have a 3 year warranty from Wal-Mart that I'm still under, I guess they'll give me a non-BC slim as a replacement?

They should.

Exarchos said:
My PS3 isn't reading discs anymore. What the fuck do I do?

If you can't insert the disc, you need to replace the entire drive itself (since I don't know if you can actually buy the loading mechanisms seperately. If it won't read the disc then there are several options. Replace the blu-ray laser yourself, get sony to fix it under warranty, or pay 150 for them to fix it out of warranty.

Dynamic3 said:
For the last three days my system has been getting very loud when the BR disc is being accessed (for instance streaming loading in-game). It is definitely the disc because these sounds aren't present when playing DD games. The sound almost sounds like a vibration, and if I pick the system up it becomes muted. 80GB BC btw.

Thoughts?

Sounds like it can possibly be a few things. From my experience, the PS3 will always get louder when reading a disc. Movies seem to get louder than a game and they get louder faster with movies (I have no idea why).

ccgenerals said:
I bought a used 60GB PS3 that seems to overheat a lot. I've tried the Haze demo and the PS3 would turn off with a blinking red light after <5 minutes of play. I don't see a yellow light when it turns off and I'm able to turn it back on after this. It's also happened with the UC2 demo. I have disassembled it to clean out the dust and I replaced the thermal paste on the gpu and cpu after cleaning up the mess that was there. I now have the top plastic covers off with the console placed horizontally. My room temperature is usually around 70F, the PS3 has plenty of space around it, and the screws for the heatsink are tight. Any suggestions?

That sounds like either a power supply issue or overheating on the cpu/gpu. Remember most of the problems that come from replacing the thermal compounds are due to people not putting enough of it on there and/or spreading it evenly enough. (At least in my experience.) Since you've already added new compound, I would suspect a power supply issue. As long as you know you did a thorough job on the compound part, I would replace the power supply. I heard they're fairly cheap for the most part and they should be easy to replace.

revolverjgw said:
Error 80010514. PS2 discs read and play fine. PS3 discs either don't show up on the XMB at all, won't install, or in the best-case scenario where I CAN boot them, won't get past loading screens. I am going to snap. I have already formatted, did nothing of course, but I had to try.

Time to replace your blu-ray laser. Make sure you get the right model number for your PS3 (or pay sony to do it for 150 ;))

IronFistedChampion said:
My 60GB PS3 got the YLOD and I just recently bought a PS3 Slim. Haven't figured out what to do with it yet...any ideas?

Since you already have another PS3, I don't see any problem with doing the reflow technique. It's extremely simple. Just make sure you have a heat gun, a Torx screwdriver (forgot the proper size), and some very good thermal compound. Everything else you need should be everyday household items. Search for the Gilksy videos and PDF. It's simple and not nearly as hard as it would seem at first.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
xinoart said:
Correct. You get a different unit. But you will get back a 60 gig if that's what you sent in. The serial numbers are always different.

So what happens to content locked to my original system?

I can't just restore a back up of it, can I?

xinoart

Banned
Fatghost said:
So what happens to content locked to my original system?

I can't just restore a back up of it, can I?

It's locked to your PSN name, not the system itself. Unless you're talking about locked saves (Rock Band, Guitar Hero, a few others), then those are lost unless you backed up the files.

xinoart said:
That sounds like either a power supply issue or overheating on the cpu/gpu. Remember most of the problems that come from replacing the thermal compounds are due to people not putting enough of it on there and/or spreading it evenly enough. (At least in my experience.) Since you've already added new compound, I would suspect a power supply issue. As long as you know you did a thorough job on the compound part, I would replace the power supply. I heard they're fairly cheap for the most part and they should be easy to replace.

I forgot to mention, it seems to be able to fold fine. Ran it for an hour with no hiccups, so I'm guessing the GPU hates me. I don't smell anything burnt in the power supply.

Future

My original PS3 60 gig is starting to make this noise sometimes while inserting a disk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fZhlCJCbw

I didnt try to open the PS3 like this dude did, but the sound it makes is identical. I've been just ejecting the disk and reinserting until it goes in without making that noise. It doesnt seem to affect the disks at all and I have no idea what the cause is. Once a disk is in there it works properly, even if I turn the console off and turn it back on with the disk still inside. This makes me believe it has something to do with the inital loading mechanism when you first stick a disk in.

This is a giant thread and couldnt skim it all. Anyone here experience this or have gotten it fixed?

cluto

xinoart said:
If it won't read the disc then there are several options. Replace the blu-ray laser yourself, get sony to fix it under warranty, or pay 150 for them to fix it out of warranty.
Right... well, my PS3 is out of warranty. I've owned this system for less than two years and barely play the damn thing, and now I have to spend $150 to deal with this shit? That's ridiculous. I got way more playtime out of my 360 before it broke, but at least Microsoft fixed it for free.

I don't know if I want to pay $150 to fix this bullshit, or just find a <$300 deal for a PS3 Slim. The problem is I want to play Uncharted 2 when it comes out.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Exarchos said:
Right... well, my PS3 is out of warranty. I've owned this system for less than two years and barely play the damn thing, and now I have to spend $150 to deal with this shit? That's ridiculous. I got way more playtime out of my 360 before it broke, but at least Microsoft fixed it for free.

I don't know if I want to pay $150 to fix this bullshit, or just find a <$300 deal for a PS3 Slim. The problem is I want to play Uncharted 2 when it comes out.

People will buy broken PS3s (especially if its an old 60 or 20 with PS2 BC) on craigslist or Ebay for $150 or more. They then have it fixed and keep it. You could do that and be halfway there towards a new Slim....

noah111

Still Alive
belvedere said:
Green, quick yellow then flashing red.

Am I fucked?
Welcome to the club. :lol That's exactly what happened to me; YLOD. :\ Seems like quite a few PS3s (at least for avid users) are starting to die, I expect more of the same within the year.

You can either fix it yourself using some of the guides online, send it to Sony to repair for $150 (unless you're still under their warranty), or just buy a slim.

Top Bottom