• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

domlolz

Banned
Well our PS3 is broke, yellow light and then blinking red light.

So I'm guessing I'm screwed (save games, media and whatever else?) or is there someway to get any of it off there?

noah111

Still Alive
domlolz said:
Well our PS3 is broke, yellow light and then blinking red light.

So I'm guessing I'm screwed (save games, media and whatever else?) or is there someway to get any of it off there?
Not that I know of, you should have gotten an external HDD and backed up your system every month or so, that's what I do "just in case"..

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't get the yellow before the red but mine just started blinking red. I tried to turn it back on but it blinks red. I heard this may be an HDD issue? Or does anyone else have any insight?

Speevy

Banned
NOOOOOOO Liquid. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that.

If you can't get them to deactivate your account over the phone, just let me know when your new system arrives and I'll deactivate for you so you can redownload everything.

LiquidMetal14

I can call them on a whim and they will reset my activations so no worries there. I'm just trying to see if it's an HDD issue as I read that some just took the HDD in and out and it worked again. I have not seen anything yellow so my concern level is not high yet.

LiquidMetal14

Speevy said:
Can you switch back to the 60 GB temporarily?
I will try this after I try to just take out and put the HDD back in. I put the 60 in an enclosure and am currently using it as a portable HDD but if I must then I can at last try.

ShortBus

Just had a brief power outage...
When the power came back on, my 60GB was blinking red. "Ok, That's new", I thought.
I flipped the switch in the back off/on once and turned her on. I got numerous beeps,a yellow light and flashing red.

After a few minutes of flipping out, I gave her one more try...and she was fine. Back to solid green and blue lights.

Either it was a fluke or a warning.
I've heard of people getting the yellow light once,their PS3 returns to normal,then it bites it shortly after.

Has anyone had this happen?

ShortBus said:
Just had a brief power outage...
When the power came back on, my 60GB was blinking red. "Ok, That's new", I thought.
I flipped the switch in the back off/on once and turned her on. I got numerous beeps,a yellow light and flashing red.

After a few minutes of flipping out, I gave her one more try...and she was fine. Back to solid green and blue lights.

Either it was a fluke or a warning.
I've heard of people getting the yellow light once,their PS3 returns to normal,then it bites it shortly after.

Has anyone had this happen?
Back your shit up NOW.

ShortBus

polyh3dron said:
Back your shit up NOW.

That's the first thing I did once I got it working again.
Is this your way of saying I should dig out $150 and get ready to deal with Sony?

Man, I need a stiff drink...

Oni Jazar

After watching a blu-ray movie (The Wrestler) the ol' 60Gb gave me 3 beeps and shut off with blinking red lights.

I gave it a break, made sure the vents were clean and tried again after 5 mins. It worked for a few mins while I backed up a couple of games then 3 beeps and shuts off again.

Uh oh. Am I screwed or it is not over until the yellow light cometh?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oni Jazar said:
After watching a blu-ray movie (The Wrestler) the ol' 60Gb gave me 3 beeps and shut off with blinking red lights.

I gave it a break, made sure the vents were clean and tried again after 5 mins. It worked for a few mins while I backed up a couple of games then 3 beeps and shuts off again.

Uh oh. Am I screwed or it is not over until the yellow light cometh?

It's clearly headed to Valhalla. :/

Not really broke, but my PS3 (80gb) has given me a couple of electric shocks when touching the eject button, has anyone else had this? I was wearing some new slippers so maybe they were causing too much static to build up in me.

But anyway, I'm kinda scared of touching the eject button now. :lol

expy

Banned
lastplayed said:
Not really broke, but my PS3 (80gb) has given me a couple of electric shocks when touching the eject button, has anyone else had this? I was wearing some new slippers so maybe they were causing too much static to build up in me.

Static.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
lastplayed said:

Weird, never had that happen before...from now on eject the disk using the controller instead. Highlight the game/disk, hit triangle, then choose 'eject disk', or 'eject'...not sure of the wording.

Oni Jazar

So what's the deal with the repair? I have a 320Gb Hard drive in the system do I need to take it out? Is there any way of keeping the data I have on there?

Edit: You know what? I blame MAG for this bullshit. I had to leave the system on for like 3 days straight so that it could try to download their 3Gb client. >:/

xinoart

Banned
I don't understand why more people don't "reflow" their systems instead of paying half the price of a new console to Sony. It's simple, easy, and take an hour at most. Plus you keep your hard drive and you can back up everything just in case it dies again. The cost of reflowing is about 30-40 bucks. Get a heat gun from a pawn shop, some really good thermal paste, and a Torx screwdriver.

I just sent in my PS3 to get fixed, but I might have done it prematurely. Tell me what you guys think?

First I started having some problems with Prince of Persia, I was getting some graphics errors, where large polygon lines would pop in , and would be protruding from the female character. That was the only game that had a problem. So sometime later, I get Infamous and the pop in is terrible, I was getting large pop in ploygon rectangles that would obstruct my view, it was like a large grey wall that you would walk right through, it would pop up mostly in areas that were under the train rails/station. Also, I started noticing some pop in lines on Farcry 2. Plus every so often my PS3 would freeze.. .but this was pretty rare. Based on the problems I was seeing, I decided to send it in, now and not wait for the system to completely crash.

I sent it in to Sony with my 160gb HDD, but the instructions didn't say anything about taking out the hard drive, looking at the instructions It seems that I'll probably be getting the same system back.

I wondering if Sony will fix the system using better 45nm, or 65nm chips.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Thomaticus~ said:
I just sent in my PS3 to get fixed, but I might have done it prematurely. Tell me what you guys think?

First I started having some problems with Prince of Persia, I was getting some graphics errors, where large polygon lines would pop in , and would be protruding from the female character. That was the only game that had a problem. So sometime later, I get Infamous and the pop in is terrible, I was getting large pop in ploygon rectangles that would obstruct my view, it was like a large grey wall that you would walk right through, it would pop up mostly in areas that were under the train rails/station. Also, I started noticing some pop in lines on Farcry 2. Plus every so often my PS3 would freeze.. .but this was pretty rare. Based on the problems I was seeing, I decided to send it in, now and not wait for the system to completely crash.

I sent it in to Sony with my 160gb HDD, but the instructions didn't say anything about taking out the hard drive, looking at the instructions It seems that I'll probably be getting the same system back.

Dont think it works that way...You will either get your exact system back, or a refurb of the exact same model of your system (in other words..if your model has the larger nm chipsets, the one you will get back will also have the larger chipsets).

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Dont think it works that way...You will either get your exact system back, or a refurb of the exact same model of your system (in other words..if your model has the larger nm chipsets, the one you will get back will also have the larger chipsets).

damn... if they could thow in a better chip set, then I wish that they would, because what's the point. If after 2-3 years, same chips probably going to have the same problem.

xinoart said:
I don't understand why more people don't "reflow" their systems instead of paying half the price of a new console to Sony. It's simple, easy, and take an hour at most. Plus you keep your hard drive and you can back up everything just in case it dies again. The cost of reflowing is about 30-40 bucks. Get a heat gun from a pawn shop, some really good thermal paste, and a Torx screwdriver.

This, also I didnt even need a heat gun, I just wanted to recover my saves and deactivate it because I was getting a slim, so I went the cheap way and used a hair dryer and replaced the thermal paste.:lol Worked like a charm.

xinoart

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
This, also I didnt even need a heat gun, I just wanted to recover my saves and deactivate it because I was getting a slim, so I went the cheap way and used a hair dryer and replaced the thermal paste.:lol Worked like a charm.

Haha...now that's dedication. I found a heat gun for 13 bucks. ;)

Thomaticus~ said:

You should have taken your drive out. I got a refurb back myself.

But yeah so much for a console with a 10 year lifespan. :lol

yup, laser has died on my 40g - already placed a replacement order w/gadgetresurrection Hopefully I can repair it before Demons Souls drops. (crosses fingers for quick shipping)

noah111

Still Alive
Alright.. my PS3 launch unit has finally died out on me (YLOD), coincidentally only two days after my toshiba/vista laptop stopped working.. awful week.

Lucky for me though, I do semi-routine backups and had just done one about a month or two ago, however I didn't deactivate my system from the many of the accounts I have on my PS3.

So i'm wondering; do any of those 'fix it yourself' tutorials out there actually work? I'd like to jump on and do a more recent backup as well as deactivate my system. Is this possible?

I'm not under warranty anymore anyway, and it'll most likely crap out on me once again but i'll just eventually pick up a slim..

Please respond if you know the answer, since I was using my PS3 for internet since my laptop broke, all I can use now are phones or go to a friends house. :\

Thanks..

Sentry said:
Alright.. my PS3 launch unit has finally died out on me (YLOD), coincidentally only two days after my toshiba/vista laptop stopped working.. awful week.

Lucky for me though, I do semi-routine backups and had just done one about a month or two ago, however I didn't deactivate my system from the many of the accounts I have on my PS3.

So i'm wondering; do any of those 'fix it yourself' tutorials out there actually work? I'd like to jump on and do a more recent backup as well as deactivate my system. Is this possible?

I'm not under warranty anymore anyway, and it'll most likely crap out on me once again but i'll just eventually pick up a slim..

Please respond if you know the answer, since I was using my PS3 for internet since my laptop broke, all I can use now are phones or go to a friends house. :\

Thanks..

If you PS3 is out of warranty I think its worth the shot.

A friend of mine repaired his using this method (or at least he says that). Make sure your heat gun has a low speed or it will blow some things off.

noah111

Still Alive
sotodefonk said:
If you PS3 is out of warranty I think its worth the shot.

A friend of mine repaired his using this method (or at least he says that). Make sure your heat gun has a low speed or it will blow some things off.
Yeah, the warranty only lasts like a year or two right? Plus that sticker on the side is removed iirc.. Would Sony fix it anyway for the typical $150 price even if it was out of warranty?

I'll try following a few different tutorials, though i'm very new at dismantling shit so I hope I don't somehow make things worse...

satriales said:
I did the YLOD fix about 6 weeks ago ago and it worked fine afterwards and I had plenty of long sessions playing Uncharted 2 multiplayer without any issues at all. Then a few days ago I turned on the PS3 and started watching a film, when 5 minutes in it shut itself off with a flashing red light. When I tried to turn it back on all I got was the same YLOD that I had got 6 weeks earlier.

I left it overnight and when I tried it again in the morning it was working again. Then I tried to watch a film on it in the evening and it gave me the YLOD again and wouldn't work after that. So I had another go at doing the heat gun fix and now it is working once more. I think I'll stick to games now on and connect my laptop to the TV when I want to watch a film.
Weird, well luckily for me it's just a temp fix, will save up or a slim to stay away from all that hassle of having a ghetto semi-functional system. :p

satriales

I did the YLOD fix about 6 weeks ago ago and it worked fine afterwards and I had plenty of long sessions playing Uncharted 2 multiplayer without any issues at all. Then a few days ago I turned on the PS3 and started watching a film, when 5 minutes in it shut itself off with a flashing red light. When I tried to turn it back on all I got was the same YLOD that I had got 6 weeks earlier.

I left it overnight and when I tried it again in the morning it was working again. Then I tried to watch a film on it in the evening and it gave me the YLOD again and wouldn't work after that. So I had another go at doing the heat gun fix and now it is working once more. I think I'll stick to games now on and connect my laptop to the TV when I want to watch a film.

alterno69

Banned
My ps3 died a month ago, this week a friend did the ylod fix and it works BUT the fan goes at top speed in under a minute before turning it on and never slows down :(

Any idea what could it be? Maybe something went wrong during the procedure or ir this normal, the sound makes it impossible for me to play.

xinoart

Banned
alterno69 said:
My ps3 died a month ago, this week a friend did the ylod fix and it works BUT the fan goes at top speed in under a minute before turning it on and never slows down :(

Any idea what could it be? Maybe something went wrong during the procedure or ir this normal, the sound makes it impossible for me to play.

Sounds like there's not enough thermal paste. That's the only major problem most people have after the reflow in my experience. It's a bit difficult to know exactly how much to put on since sometimes it can spread pretty unevenly.

Anyone ever have an HDD go out in their PS3 before? Any symptoms?

I put a Seagate 320GB HDD in my Slim right out of the box, but the last couple of times I've turned my PS3 on I've noticed that it seems to take a little longer for the console to boot. It seems to take longer to get to the XMB wave background, and then it takes almost 10 seconds before the Afrika theme kicks in. It was pretty close to instant before.

I guess I'll poke around for the DB rebuild function and see if that does anything.

edit: I forgot to mention, but game performance seems unchanged. The Uncharted 2 demo loads just as fast as it ever has.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
well, my blu ray drive finally bit it for good this time. I took it all apart (out of warranty by a year), cleaned the lens, but, to no avail..

Picked all the little gears back up off the floor after taking it to full tear down, and i'll be damned that i got it able to accept discs again just fine.. seems like new, so, that's a relief.

New KES-400A laser coming in the mail from gadgetresurrection also... haven't searched this thread much to see if others have done it, but, i got a new (not refurb) laser with warranty for ~$50. I've had the drive apart 3 times so far and am well aware of its intracacies.

Hoping the new laser does the trick... will report back..

xinoart

Banned
Dirk Shmiggler said:
well, my blu ray drive finally bit it for good this time. I took it all apart (out of warranty by a year), cleaned the lens, but, to no avail..

Picked all the little gears back up off the floor after taking it to full tear down, and i'll be damned that i got it able to accept discs again just fine.. seems like new, so, that's a relief.

New KES-400A laser coming in the mail from gadgetresurrection also... haven't searched this thread much to see if others have done it, but, i got a new (not refurb) laser with warranty for ~$50. I've had the drive apart 3 times so far and am well aware of its intracacies.

Hoping the new laser does the trick... will report back..

Good job. ;) I had to replace my laser as well. It worked great so far.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
apparently blue ray diodes were being made by monkeys and stuffed out the door b/c, honestly, from what i've seen, it's the PS3's RROD, more so than YLOD.

Is there a chance that dust got in there somehow? Its probably fucked.

Im gonna try to swindle Gamestop. They're giving a $150 credit for a (working) ps3 towards a slim. If they catch it, I'll just sell it on craigslist or something. Its a 60 gb w/ bc.

Thoughts?

noah111

Still Alive
I plan on doing the YLOD fix later this week, after I buy a heat gun and that thermal paste compound. I'll be following these two guides, a PDF tutorial & this YouTube video walkthrough.

The thing is from what I can tell the unit he is dismantling (in the PDF & id) isn't an original 60GB launch unit, thus it doesn't have those memory card ports in the front. :\

I'm worried i'll open it up only to find a slightly different setup than what he shows. Is it really that large of a difference (internally)?

pistolpete2940 said:
Is there a chance that dust got in there somehow? Its probably fucked.

Im gonna try to swindle Gamestop. They're giving a $150 credit for a (working) ps3 towards a slim. If they catch it, I'll just sell it on craigslist or something. Its a 60 gb w/ bc.

Thoughts?

Fraud, but it's EB so who cares.

Crisco

Banned
My PS3 isn't dead (60GB, purchased June 2007), but a couple times now it's completely shut off in the middle of playing a game. No blinking lights, no beeps, just off as if the power went out. The red light on the front goes off as well. I have to hit the switch on the back and unplug the power cable to get it to turn back on. Doesn't seem to be time or heat related, it's just completely random. I really hope it doesn't die because I just put in a new 500GB hard drive in there.

noah111

Still Alive
Crisco said:
My PS3 isn't dead (60GB, purchased June 2007), but a couple times now it's completely shut off in the middle of playing a game. No blinking lights, no beeps, just off as if the power went out. The red light on the front goes off as well. I have to hit the switch on the back and unplug the power cable to get it to turn back on. Doesn't seem to be time or heat related, it's just completely random. I really hope it doesn't die because I just put in a new 500GB hard drive in there.
That's weird, you're sure it's not when quitting a game, but actually in the middle of a session? Hmm, just to be on the safe side i'd get an external HDD and do a backup asap.

Crisco said:

Sounds like power problem. Rule out the obvious first. Use a new power cable. Use a different power outlet/surge suppressor, check to see if the power port on the back of the PS3 seems loose (does it have a lot of play when you wiggle it with cable in?). Could be that you or somebody unwittingly yanked the power cable one too many times and there is a flaky connection in there causing it to blink out... can you replicate your PS3 problems by jiggling the power cord while the PS3 is on?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I do a lot of maintenance to my 60GB PS3 bought in the European launch, march 2007.

I change the thermal paste every half year to a quality one. Clean the heatsink vents (fucking beast). Have a thermometer on the back vent telling me how hot it is. It steps up a level everytime the air reaches 54ºc and only drops when it falls to 45ºc.

As the games really start pushing from the ps3 hardware, it gets noisier.

That is why I only complain about the noise. It goes to level 3 easily in the summer these days.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
My current (2nd) 60 gig is starting to get real loud when playing Uncharted 2. I think it might be time to back up all my saves, just in case : /

I remember when i had my 60 GIG that the Uncharted 2 closed beta was the only game that made my fans kick into a louder than normal gear. Many others reported the same thing. You're probably fine, but seeing as more and more 60's are croaking these days you better back your stuff up on a regular basis.

Crisco

Banned
Sentry said:
That's weird, you're sure it's not when quitting a game, but actually in the middle of a session? Hmm, just to be on the safe side i'd get an external HDD and do a backup asap.

Nah, the first time it happened was in the middle of playing GTA4, the other time while playing UC2.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Sounds like power problem. Rule out the obvious first. Use a new power cable. Use a different power outlet/surge suppressor, check to see if the power port on the back of the PS3 seems loose (does it have a lot of play when you wiggle it with cable in?). Could be that you or somebody unwittingly yanked the power cable one too many times and there is a flaky connection in there causing it to blink out... can you replicate your PS3 problems by jiggling the power cord while the PS3 is on?

Yeah, I basically did all that after the second time it happened. The cable does have a lot of play when I wiggle it. It's plugged into the same heavy duty Panamax surge protector that my TV, A/V receiver, and DirecTV receiver are plugged into and I've never had a similar issue with them. My cat plays around back there a lot so she might have just loosened the cable somehow lol.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
My current (2nd) 60 gig is starting to get real loud when playing Uncharted 2. I think it might be time to back up all my saves, just in case : /

Ugh. Mines not loud but I can hear when the bluray disc being accessed. It was virtually silent before but now it's quite a bit more noticeable. Is this a warning sign? It's a 20GB by the way.

Top Bottom