• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Animal said:
Shit I didn't realize slims were dying already :(

Mine makes lots of cracking sounds when I turn it off. It's as if the chassis and/or heat sink is contracting with the temperature of the components.

Its the cheap plastic expanding and contracting with the heating and cooling cycles. They all do that.

Animal said:
Shit I didn't realize slims were dying already :(

Mine makes lots of cracking sounds when I turn it off. It's as if the chassis and/or heat sink is contracting with the temperature of the components.

My slim was 4 month old and the GPU went out.

I3rand0

My 60 GB launch unit just died after 3 years. Not sure what to do now. I know I need to deactivate my account on my system but I cant even boot to the menu. I also want to transfer off data but I can't do that either.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I3rand0 said:
My 60 GB launch unit just died after 3 years. Not sure what to do now. I know I need to deactivate my account on my system but I cant even boot to the menu. I also want to transfer off data but I can't do that either.
It's too late for all of that. You may want to call Sony to deactivate your slot (you have 5 if you're in the US), you can't do anything in the system now. I wouldn't recommend sending it in to get a refurbished model though :/ since I did that, and regret it somewhat ... I feel like it's going to die at any minute as well.

There are guides and videos on youtbe on how to "reflow" your ps3, so that it comes back to life, but it seems a little complicated.

I3rand0

hateradio said:
It's too late for all of that. You may want to call Sony to deactivate your slot (you have 5 if you're in the US), you can't do anything in the system now. I wouldn't recommend sending it in to get a refurbished model though :/ since I did that, and regret it somewhat ... I feel like it's going to die at any minute as well.

There are guides and videos on youtbe on how to "reflow" your ps3, so that it comes back to life, but it seems a little complicated.

What I was thinking of doing was trying that reflow, get that to work hopefully and then do that data transfer to a new slim. Yeah I watched the reflow video and it looks a little complicated, but I'm willing to give it a shot in order to save my data.

I3rand0 said:

Same here. My PS3 just died last week Sunday. A couple days after Christmas. I woke up and seen the system with a blinking red light. I pay no never mind. I turn the PS3 on and everything worked. After a couple of hours, I looked up what the "blinking red light" meant. :((. I went back to turn it on, but it was to late. Also, my Assassin's Creed 2 is stuck in their. I am hurt.

Since the death of my PS3, I had played the hell out of Borderlands on my 360. I am loving every moment of it. I just wish that I was not on 360 number 8. :-\

Toski

Alright, I need to know whats up with my PS3 not being able to connect to the internet through wireless. I bought it Tuesday at Walmart and set it up.

I tried downloading the firmware but it wouldn't start and give me server timeout errors or dns errors. I upgraded through the usb and tried to make a psn account. After about 10 times of trying on wendesday, I got a speedy stable connection through my router. Since then it can connect, but it is only a matter of time until it drops connection and gives me the time out error or dns error. I did the router firmware upgrade, disabling media server connection and all that jazz, but the connection is unreliable. When I try to use the browser, the connection is slow. My 360 connects with no problems and I moved the router closer and have a 100-85 percent signal strength.

I tried a wired connection straight to the modem and had no problems, and I connected wired to the router with no problems as well. Is my wireless card busted or is it something else?

I3rand0

Well after a whole day of running around trying to get everything I need to fix my PS3, I finally fixed it!

When i got inside to take a look at it, I noticed a few things:

1) Lack of dust internally.
2) No burn marks on any components.
2) Thermal paste was pretty much non existent on both chips.

After I took my console apart, I did the reflow process. After that, I applied a new coat of thermal paste on both chips. Put it back together, and it's working now.

I also bought a new 250 unit today since the 120s are sold out everywhere. Not sure if I should do the data transfer to it or not because I really love my 60 GB unit and the BC.

IrishNinja

...damn. reading all this...my not-quite-launch 60 GB has run pretty good thus far, froze up a few times, nothing a hard resent hasnt fixed though. once last year, it said it was repairing something on the hard drive, but all it did was rename the files to their original titles. i deleted a bunch of stuff after that, been alright since.
few questions for those who know more about it:

1) is it a foregone conclusion at this point that launch/early BC systems will YLOD at some point? is the failure rate that high, or am i reading this thread too much?

2) what all can be done to help prevent it? I keep my system far enough from the others (whatever distance the manual asked for), and i use compressed air + a small vac to clean/break up dust around it. anything else that should be done here (put it on legos or something crazy)?

slims look nice, but i really dont want to lose BC, as i actually do use it. this thread has me all worried and shit.

Man I'm shocked at the demand for broken systems on craigslist. I put my 60gb that had a busted blu ray drive on there and sold it today for $140. I sweetened the deal by including everything that came in the original box; one sixaxsis too.

I got close to 50 offers from people in 4 days. Guy who bought it said he wanted it for spare parts because Sony told him they aren't fixing the 60 gb systems anymore. Thats why they are offering the slim trade in deal instead.

I think YLOD go for even more on craigslist or eBay. Blu ray drives are more expensive to fix.

Just a thought for those not knowing what to do with their busted PS3's.

And about Sony not fixing the 60 gb's anymore; someone may want to call and verify that because I don't know if it's true as of now. Eventually though, I see this happening. (if it already hasn't begun)

I'm almost relieved my 60gb died. Everytime I'd turn it on my heart would beat in fear that it would die. I took the best care of it too. No one has immunity with these things. Fucking sucks.

expy

Banned
IrishNinja said:
1) is it a foregone conclusion at this point that launch/early BC systems will YLOD at some point? is the failure rate that high, or am i reading this thread too much?
It isn't, the failure rate is nowhere near that of the other manufacturer's. I also have a launch 60Gb and it's never even blinked red lights let alone yellow, occasional (lot more rare these days) freezing on certain games though.

And dude, you're in a thread about dead or dying consoles, think about it.

IrishNinja said:
2) what all can be done to help prevent it? I keep my system far enough from the others (whatever distance the manual asked for), and i use compressed air + a small vac to clean/break up dust around it. anything else that should be done here (put it on legos or something crazy)?
Yours hasn't died as of yet, so keep doing what you're doing.

Gyrian

I'm relieved to report that
I've successfully rescued all data (even protected) from my YLOD Ceramic White 40GB PS3.
It only cost me my time, tears, and about $35.

Thank you all for the resources discussed on this thread, they were invaluable. My PS3 yploded suddenly this past thursday without any warning signs. Bitterness and spilt milk aside, I became most concerned with recovering my data. It's a crappy feeling when you realize that there is no way to get at it without the very same console. So, I set out to revive the very same machine.

I followed the information presented here and a variety of sources, hoping for a repair that would at least let me perform a backup. I was afraid of all the reports citing the uncertainty on how long the machine would remain alive post repair.

It was intimidating, but not too bad in retrospect. If you do this, make sure you're well organized. I managed to bring it back, but was far from done. The first thing I did was copy all my allowed saves to a USB stick. I performed a full USB HDD backup afterwards. Knowing most of it was now safe, I made preparations for a full ethernet data transfer. I picked up a new slim PS3 to receive the data.

Then, trouble hit again. I had to update the newly revived PS3 to firmware 3.15, where it gave an error midway through the process, getting stuck in an endless loop. A little research prompted me to open it back up and make sure everything was connected properly. I knew that everything was working properly, but it hit me that I hadn't used the blu-ray drive since the repair. The ribbon connector for it is also very delicate in how it mates to the drive. The update was a success after I re-did this connection.

Everything was going fine until the data transfer started hitting an error, too. It turns out that any problematic or corrupted files will kill the transfer without giving you a reason. In my case, it turned out to be a corrupted Heavy Rain dynamic theme. If you run into a similar situation, remember your themes. I triple checked everything while forgetting this, since it sits in a separate menu.

After a long, long weekend, I've got everything back up in order. DLC, saves, copy protected saves. What a horrible experience.

My Ceramic White YLOD PS3 is repaired with Arctic Silver Ceramique compound and flux. I decided to get a new one because I didn't like the idea of not knowing if / when this might happen again. Apparently though, some people are ok with this idea, and multiple repairs. I will be sending it to ebay soon, where it'll hopefully find a good home.

I'm a little bit sad I couldn't replace it with a similar unit. That Lightning PS3 is far too expensive.

MoxManiac

I had a pretty bad scare a few days ago. My 20gb had YLOD back in july so I sent it to sony to get it "repaired". anyways I was playing SF4 and it locked up, beeped, then shut itself off completely. After that it would randomly shut itself off. sometimes during a game, sometimes when loading a game, sometimes when exiting a game. When I started playing demon souls the fan started going crazy, loudest i'd ever heard. Thought the thing was going to explode.

I was like fuck, here comes YLOD again. I'm already out of the shitty 3 month warranty Sony gives for their refurbs/repairs. Anyways, I unhooked the unit, let it sit for awhile, then took compressed air to all the vents and shit. It's been fine ever since, but i'm a little concerned now. I think the unit will autoshut off whenever it overheats, which I assume was what was happening.

KillerAJD

Well, finally got the money to get it fixed. The CS rep I got this time had the most boring/dull/uninterested in helping me voice I've ever heard. I also had to go through the whole process again because the ticket number wasn't recognized when using the automated process. It came out to $148.71. The rep advised me to call the network people once they receive my broken unit to deactivate the accounts. Also, again, they STILL ARE FIXING 60 GB/Launch Units! You just have to pay more. On top of that, the email they sent me with packing instructions says:

"Please note that your PS3™ System will be RETURNED UNSERVICED due to any of the following:

• Excessive wear and tear, neglect, abuse, accident and/or modification not performed by Sony.

• Serial Number Label has been tampered with, cut, torn or removed.

• Invalid Service Request Number - The Service Request Number is included in the Service Information Section in this email (below). This Service offer is good for 30 days. We must receive your system within 30 days from the date of your request. If we have not received your system within 30 days, you must contact SCEA Consumer Services at 1-800-345-7669 before sending your unit in for service. Note: This service offer is not meant for retailers, or for retailers acting on behalf of a consumer."

So it sounds like I could have opened it up to get the saves, but whatever. I hope this slim doesn't die on me though, I've never had a problem with faulty hardware before :/

NolbertoS

I never got to experience my 60GB BC PS3 breaking down on me like you guys :(..had to sell it online, but I'm worried about next gen now, as even though I needed money, still buying PS3 games, just to keep my backlog going :p....hope the PS4 in about 3 years has BC for all PS1, PS2 and PS3, cuz I ain't tolerating another gimped Sony console.

Coffin was packed up and mailed back yesterday. Slim of only 4 months is going back and I'm going to be super pissed if they send me back the same unit because they tested it with the wrong games! Now the waiting game till I get it back.

Strike

Getting ready to backup my drive, but I need to know how much space all my data is taking before I buy a storage device that's large enough. Any tips?

lupinko

I haven't received my box yet (which apparently is 3-5 business days, and I called SCEA on Christmas, not to mention that because Boxing Day fell on a Saturday, the 28th counted as a holiday here for most businesses, and also New Year's being on a Friday didn't help either), but it should be coming this week.

I'll give updates on what happens given my interesting scenario which is documented in the pages before.

lupinko said:
I haven't received my box yet (which apparently is 3-5 business days, and I called SCEA on Christmas, not to mention that because Boxing Day fell on a Saturday, the 28th counted as a holiday here for most businesses, and also New Year's being on a Friday didn't help either), but it should be coming this week.

I'll give updates on what happens given my interesting scenario which is documented in the pages before.

For what it's worth, I too called on Xmas day and the box arrived on the 31st. I did get an email with a UPS tracking number though super early. Did you not get this yet?

hultrain

Neo Member
So, is it true that if you have a broken 60gb Sony will trade you a slim for less than it would cost to get a refurbished/repaired 60gb? I've seen mention of that on this thread, but can't tell if that's some special deal or they're doing it with everyone who calls in with a broken 60gb. I have a 60gb with a failing blu-ray. Yes, I know I could fix it myself, but I'd rather not worry about future break-downs and just get a new slim instead. BC and USB slots don't matter all that much to me.

Have any of you recently had that deal offered to you? I wonder if they're still doing it now that it looks like the 120 gb slims are sold out at a number of places.

Edit: also, do they offer you a new slim, or is it a refurbished one? And before anyone says, "Just call Sony", I find it's better to know all the facts before you call a CS rep.

KAOz

Short bus special
Fuck.

My European 60GB with BC just got the YLOD. Out of warranty too. =/ Kind of sucks massive donkeyballs there. Might get it fixed though with some luck and Swedish consumer laws, but we'll see.

So, I got a question regarding this while I'm still calm and collected. I know that all my non-backed up saves are gone, but, how do I deactivate my PSN account if I need to send it in? And, if I deactivate it, can I still re-activate it when I get my new one? >_> Kind of noobish in that sense, but I have never gone through anything like this and frankly don't know how all this works.

Some help would be awesome. :)

ShapeGSX

hultrain said:
So, is it true that if you have a broken 60gb Sony will trade you a slim for less than it would cost to get a refurbished/repaired 60gb? I've seen mention of that on this thread, but can't tell if that's some special deal or they're doing it with everyone who calls in with a broken 60gb. I have a 60gb with a failing blu-ray. Yes, I know I could fix it myself, but I'd rather not worry about future break-downs and just get a new slim instead. BC and USB slots don't matter all that much to me.

Have any of you recently had that deal offered to you? I wonder if they're still doing it now that it looks like the 120 gb slims are sold out at a number of places.

Edit: also, do they offer you a new slim, or is it a refurbished one? And before anyone says, "Just call Sony", I find it's better to know all the facts before you call a CS rep.

They offer you a refurbished slim for $150. It has a 90 day warranty. No controllers or cables are included. You keep yours.

But I've seen 60GB PS3s with broken BD drives go for $160 on EBay without a controller included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PLAYSTATIO...ZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item19b8e4ecbc

I'd buy a slim for ~$275 (deals pop up on dealnews all the time), get it, transfer your saves over, then sell your broken 60GB on EBay/Craigslist. You will end up with an extra controller, an extra 9 months of warranty, and you will probably spend less money, too.

Sony's slim deal isn't all that great.

scotcheggz

Hey guys, I recently bought a Slim model PS3 to replace my YLOD 60GB unit. it is about 1 week old and sometimes when I turn it off (PS button > Turn off system), the screen goes black, the unit beeps three times and the red light continues to flash. The only way to turn it off is to hold the power button for ten seconds and restart the console manually. Also today, after I finished playing Uncharted 2, i quit the game (again, PS button > quit game) the screen came up saying "please wait" then it beeped three times and the XMB booted up, it looked like it reset itself.

Is this a common problem anyone else has had with the slims, or have I been sold a bum unit? I really hope it's nothing of concern. Normally I'd take it back just to be sure, but I dont much fancy re-re-downloading over 100GB of stuff from PSN again. it took me close to three days last time...

Porkepik

ShapeGSX said:
They offer you a refurbished slim for $150. It has a 90 day warranty. No controllers or cables are included. You keep yours.

But I've seen 60GB PS3s with broken BD drives go for $160 on EBay without a controller included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-PLAYSTATIO...ZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item19b8e4ecbc

I'd buy a slim for ~$275 (deals pop up on dealnews all the time), get it, transfer your saves over, then sell your broken 60GB on EBay/Craigslist. You will end up with an extra controller, an extra 9 months of warranty, and you will probably spend less money, too.

That is the reason I sold my 20 gig on ebay. I kept a controller, 9 extra month warranty and it cost me only 50$ more. I also would not have been praying for it not to die again in 6 month. I found it easier to buy a new one and not worry about any breaking for some time. and it heats a lot less so I think the slim could last longer.

I'm not sure YLOD BC PS3 are worth the hassle of paying sony 170$cdn to fix it just to have smoothed and upscaled Resolution and a sword hovering over my head

hultrain

Neo Member
ShapeGSX said:

Thanks for the info. I guess expecting them to trade it in for a new slim was a bit much? I may try the e-bay route.

hultrain

Neo Member
OK, so armed with the knowledge bestowed on me by GAF, I called Sony. Tech reps were nice, walked me through some bs that did nothing and then offered me the following:

Repaired/refurbished 60gb for 150 plus tax plus shipping
"Recertified" 120gb slim (the rep called it a "skinny" :lol ), apparently this is not a "refurbished" model. Supposedly, it is a re-used shell with all new innards (in other words, the only thing re-used is the shell). Edit: whoops, forgot to say that this was 120 plus tax plus shipping.

My local console repair shop says they can probably fix the laser for about $90.00.

So, I've got some decidin' to do.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
So GAF my Phat is poorly, its freezing if i start a game straight after powering on, does with COD MW 2 all the time so i dunno if its the PS3 or the game itself. Also the other day it deleted all my emails and passwords and my main account is completely gone, had to go through and sign up for PSN on all my accounts again, well the ones i remember, its fucked up!

Anyone else having the same issues?

MrDenny

So my little cousin just got a PS3 250GB a little over a week ago.
My lil cousin said they were playing Tekken 6 late in the evening and closed it.
Next morning it didn't work. Could it be from turning it off while the game saves or loads?
Now they say it wont turn on, and their only game Tekken 6 is stuck inside.
They say it flashes green, then a different color (they describe it as clear maybe yellow), and then red.
Could it be the YLOD issue?
I think they can still return it, but is there a way to get the game out?

scotcheggz

MrDenny said:
My lil cousin said they were playing Tekken 6 late in the evening and closed it.
Next morning it didn't work. Could it be from turning it off while the game saves or loads?
They say it flashes green, then a different color (they describe it as clear maybe yellow), and then red.

My old PS3 YLOD recently on me with Borderlands in it. I just turned it on with the eject button and it pushed the disc out in time. I know it's a simple answer, but in their panic and stress have they tried that yet?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
MrDenny said:

Cripes sake....a one week old Slim YLOD? That's horrible if true....

We have no idea what the issue could be since you do not even know (your relying on 2nd hand info from your little cousin). If you can, go there and see personally what it does, and then let us know (if your not able to resolve).

It sure sounds like YLOD, but damn.....

MrDenny

scotcheggz said:
My old PS3 YLOD recently on me with Borderlands in it. I just turned it on with the eject button and it pushed the disc out in time. I know it's a simple answer, but in their panic and stress have they tried that yet?
He said he tried that, but it didn't work.

Well, my lil cousin's dad just returned the 250gb ps3 slim back to frys.
They bought a 120gb slim instead and had to buy a new copy of Tekken 6, since the old one was stuck in the tray.
Frys said they'll try to get it out, but I highly doubt they'll actually try.
Weird it YLOD so quickly in less than 2 weeks.
I told them not to close the ps3 while it is loading or saving just as a precaution.
Hopefully they don't have any issues with their new PS3.

Man, these dead console threads are depressing and scary. I have a 60gb and would hate to lose it.

Question/food for thought: since the main fault is the cracking caused by heating and cooling of the board, do you guys think this could be reduce by allowing for as much cooling as possible while the system is on, and then trapping some residual heat after turning it off? My setup allows me to do just that - I have the unit in a single "space" in my entertainment center. I keep it positioned to the left to allow as much space as possible on the fan side and I have a glass door that I always keep pretty wide open when playing. If I closed that door to trap some heat and let the space cool down more gradually... would that help? Strange question, I know.

y2dvd

hultrain said:
OK, so armed with the knowledge bestowed on me by GAF, I called Sony. Tech reps were nice, walked me through some bs that did nothing and then offered me the following:

Repaired/refurbished 60gb for 150 plus tax plus shipping
"Recertified" 120gb slim (the rep called it a "skinny" :lol ), apparently this is not a "refurbished" model. Supposedly, it is a re-used shell with all new innards (in other words, the only thing re-used is the shell). Edit: whoops, forgot to say that this was 120 plus tax plus shipping.

My local console repair shop says they can probably fix the laser for about $90.00.

So, I've got some decidin' to do.

I'm on the same boat. Called them earlier today and they gave me the same answer. I asked if they had a trade-in deal for a new Slim PS3 and they said no. I asked if I can get an extended warranty pass the shitty 90 day warranty because my current PS3 died only 2 months after warranty and they said no. For this reason alone, I will probably end up buying a new ps3 w/warranty.

To the people who sold their PS3, did yall deactivate your account beforehand or do yall just not care to lose and share an account with the buyer? My fear is if I didn't deactivate the account, then the buyer of my dead PS3 reflows it and uses my account.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
y2dvd said:
I'm on the same boat. Called them earlier today and they gave me the same answer. I asked if they had a trade-in deal for a new Slim PS3 and they said no. I asked if I can get an extended warranty pass the shitty 90 day warranty because my current PS3 died only 2 months after warranty and they said no. For this reason alone, I will probably end up buying a new ps3 w/warranty.

To the people who sold their PS3, did yall deactivate your account beforehand or do yall just not care to lose and share an account with the buyer? My fear is if I didn't deactivate the account, then the buyer of my dead PS3 reflows it and uses my account.
You can change the password using the Account Management site. Wipe the drive before you sell it to delete the games if you want.

this gen sucks

my ps3 died. I thought the safe mode thing would save my system.

it didnt, I can't even boot into safe mode anymore.

Sony want's 200 dollars to fix my system.

I replace the hard drive and it still didnt fix my system.

I might as well buy a new system

Zozobra

Arrrrgh, I bought a replacement laser when mine died a few months back and when I was recently playing MW2, I heard this "ticking" sound coming from the PS3's disc drive, like the motor was trying to move the laser but something was getting stuck. The PS3 froze when it tried to load the lobby screen in the game so I had to do a full-on power down. When I rebooted the disc loading icon runs indefinitely and I hear no movement in the disc drive. This leads me to believe that the motor that moves the laser is kaput.

Everything else with the system works fine, it's the drive that's been causing problems. I'm undecided if I should give up on this unit and go buy a slim, or if I should spend the ~$80 to order a new tray and laser - is the motor that moves the laser part of the tray?

Edit: I spoke with a local repair guy and he was telling me that the motor that ejects the discs is the same one that moves the laser. That seems kind of weird to me...

y2dvd

So I got off the phone with Sony after about an hour and they said there was no way I could get my accounts to reset. I'd be on my third account if I get another ps3. At this rate, I'll be pass my max of 5 accounts in no time. They said if that happens, I'd have to start a new account, meaning there will be no way I can retrieve any of my downloadable content. This is the biggest bs I've heard.

So pretty much I HAVE to reflow my current system to deactivate the account or it's gone for good.

I could've sworn I read some of yall being able to get Sony to reset the account sharing for yall. How?

Looks like it's happening to me too now (60GB). I've been getting all sorts of awesome artifacting in my games (especially Assassin's Creed II). I opened up my console and noticed the thermal paste was a wreck. No burn marks on the GPU, though. I've reapplied thermal paste and it worked for a few hours and then started having the crazy shit happen again. There is really nothing I can do as I think the GPU is just faulty now, so I bought a Slim which is coming in soon. Gonna sell off the 60gb on Ebay as a faulty unit, even though it runs many games well. At least I can deactivate it. Screw Sony. $599 is too expensive to have this shit happen. BTW, would the heat gun trick help at all with GPU artifacting issues?

falconzss

yesterday i noticed that my ps3 doesn't read any sort of discs anymore, it also won't eject it anymore. so i dissasembled my ps3 to check the blu-ray drive and it seems that the laser died since it doesn't emit light at all. so i have to get an new laser but there is still the problem why it doesn't eject the disc properly. it also makes pretty loud noises while trying to eject the disc and it seems that something is blocking the disc.

anyone here who dissasembled his ps3/blu-ray drive and can give me some advice?
i have no warranty anymore and i hope i can fix it on my own. i could get a new laser for 60 bucks but i have to make sure the rest of the drive works properly...
maybe it's best to get a new drive Oo?

PuMa

Looks like I might be a new YLOD victim. My launch 60 GB will not turn on. The green light comes on for a second, then turns yellow followed by a blinking red light. This happened yesterday while trying to boot up the MAG beta. :-(

Sorry if this has been answered here before. I read through the thread a bit and didn't find an answer...

I upgraded my HD to a 250 GB a while ago. So I'm wondering if I bought a new PS3 and just swapped in my HD from my busted one if everything will make the transfer in-tact since I didn't run the backup utility. Anyone try this?

Gyrian

PuMa said:
Looks like I might be a new YLOD victim. My launch 60 GB will not turn on. The green light comes on for a second, then turns yellow followed by a blinking red light. This happened yesterday while trying to boot up the MAG beta. :-(

Sorry if this has been answered here before. I read through the thread a bit and didn't find an answer...

I upgraded my HD to a 250 GB a while ago. So I'm wondering if I bought a new PS3 and just swapped in my HD from my busted one if everything will make the transfer in-tact since I didn't run the backup utility. Anyone try this?

Sorry, hot-swapping the HDD to a new PS3 won't work. The new machine will want to re-format it.
I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago, and elected to fix the damage to get a chance at a backup. It worked.

You're at a cross-roads. Get a new system and cut your losses, or try fixing it yourself / Sony.

falconzss

PuMa said:

i am not sure but i think it won't be so easy. you also couldn't deactivate your ps3 which means your old downloadable stuff is linked to your broken ps3 and can't be played on your new one.
correct me if i am wrong.

PuMa

Gyrian said:
Sorry, hot-swapping the HDD to a new PS3 won't work. The new machine will want to re-format it.
I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago, and elected to fix the damage to get a chance at a backup. It worked.

You're at a cross-roads. Get a new system and cut your losses, or try fixing it yourself / Sony.

I was worried that would be the case, but thanks for the confirmation. I have way too much crap on my busted system, so I'm definitely going to try to get this thing fixed.

Did you do the fix yourself? I know there are a ton of how-to's out there, but I was just curious what you did.

Wag

Oh well, my 20GB launch HDMI port just went. I guess the general consensus is just to fuck it and get a new 120Gb Slim? I already have a 320Gb drive in there, so I might as well just stick it in the new model?

Euphor!a

Banned
After you arrange to send your PS3 in for repair when do they charge your credit card? Is it as soon as you get off the phone with them? After they repaired it?

Wag

Euphor!a said:
After you arrange to send your PS3 in for repair when do they charge your credit card? Is it as soon as you get off the phone with them? After they repaired it?
I went the exchange route for a new/refurb (whatever) Slim for my launch 20GB. I gave the CSR my CC# over the phone and he just ran it through (I noticed in my e-banking a hold for $155) and shipped me out a return box. He said he wouldn't charge me until they actually get my unit and ship out the new one.

Top Bottom