• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Gyrian

hirokazu said:
It supposedly is, so I don't know what these guys are talking about.

It definitely is.
It used to be that you would be out of luck when it came to protected saves, but the ethernet PS3 to PS3 transfer does preserve. Hell, in my experience, it didn't even delete them from the original system after completion.

The only hurdle here is that you need your dying system to last long enough to perform the transfer. My advice here is to delete everything non-essential before you attempt it, to shorten the time. When I cleaned out my system, the full transfer took under ten minutes.

YoungHav

Banned
^^ There is hope for my Demon's Souls file after all! Man, it's going to be an adventure in fingercrossing hoping my PS3 stays alive long enough to transfer.

If I do the system to system transfer do I need to de-activate the source system 1st?

Nizz

OldJadedGamer said:
WTF, I just checked the status of my 4 month old slim and I got this message: "Due to high demand, your system is on back order".... ok, but WTF. "Due to high demand"??????? How many slims are breaking down that my 4 month old unit can't be sent back to me.

Wow... just wow.
Damn. I think I'm gonna have to send in my 60g for service. If it's cheaper to get a slim as a replacement, this news bums me out because PS3 is all I have. :(

ok, i am really confused as to what i should do with my YLOD PS3. would be great if someone could give me some advice...

first of all, i am mostly saddened about losing my game saves (especially Demon's Souls). i am wondering IF i can get my PS3 to work for a moment (apparently some tricks can work), is it possible to use the transfer option in fw 3.15 to transfer ALL my data including locked saves onto a new PS3? and will i be able to use those save files properly, to earn trophies etc? (under the same account of course)

also, is it wiser to get it fixed (old 60gb) out of warranty and pay the 150-200 euros or whatever it costs, OR just get a new slim with a new warranty? because if i pay that much money to fix it, and it breaks again and i would have to pay the price again... it would have been smarter to get the slim.

argh, decisions and confusion :(

Varth

Gyrian said:
It definitely is.
It used to be that you would be out of luck when it came to protected saves, but the ethernet PS3 to PS3 transfer does preserve. Hell, in my experience, it didn't even delete them from the original system after completion.

The only hurdle here is that you need your dying system to last long enough to perform the transfer. My advice here is to delete everything non-essential before you attempt it, to shorten the time. When I cleaned out my system, the full transfer took under ten minutes.

3 questions, hoping that they're helpful for others with same doubts:

Are you able to choose specific savefiles to transfer?
Also, does the receiving PS3 get "terraformed" when doing this, or the files on it are left untouched?
What happens if there's a locked file on the origin and another one on the receiver?

Aside from obvious security matters, I have a lot of saves on a debug console, and I'd be really happy to get them on my own PS3.

Gyrian

Varth said:
3 questions, hoping that they're helpful for others with same doubts:

Are you able to choose specific savefiles to transfer?
Also, does the receiving PS3 get "terraformed" when doing this, or the files on it are left untouched?
What happens if there's a locked file on the origin and another one on the receiver?

Aside from obvious security matters, I have a lot of saves on a debug console, and I'd be really happy to get them on my own PS3.

You don't get any choices, it aims to make your destination PS3 a carbon copy of the source.
This is why my advice is to make the source small, and delete the things you can easily re-download.

Your destination PS3 will be wiped when the process begins.
If the transfer fails, you do not get partial data, the PS3 will want to reformat again to a clean slate.

G-Bus

Banned
Fuck.

Keeps turning itself off and the red light flashes. When I boot it up I get to profile selection where it slows down/freezes then shuts it self off and does the blinking thing. No yellow light though.

I had just started playing Assassins Creed 2 also. Was working perfectly fine yesterday :(

Launch console too. This sucks.

ever since a few weeks after Tekken 6's release (and post 3.10 FW update) my BR drive started to act up and then totally died.

My 60gb has been not able to play any disc games for the past 3 months :(

I would get if fixed but to make sense of it, I'm a college student and it's not under warranty... thus I can't pay $150 to send it in, nor even get the equipment/drive off ebay to fix it for roughly $50, because again, I am a poor ass college student with bills to pay :(

I have a question, I just did a service request for a CECH-2001B console, which is the 250GB model, however the only option there was for the CECH-2001A model which is of course the 120GB model. If I send in my console and I have to get a replacement do I have to worry that they'll send me a 120GB model instead. I really don't want to send it out if that's going to be the case. Second question, do they end up sending you a new unit or a factory refurbished one.

Infernodash said:
I have a question, I just did a service request for a CECH-2001B console, which is the 250GB model, however the only option there was for the CECH-2001A model which is of course the 120GB model. If I send in my console and I have to get a replacement do I have to worry that they'll send me a 120GB model instead. I really don't want to send it out if that's going to be the case. Second question, do they end up sending you a new unit or a factory refurbished one.

Did you call them?

Nizz

G-Bus said:
Fuck.

Keeps turning itself off and the red light flashes. When I boot it up I get to profile selection where it slows down/freezes then shuts it self off and does the blinking thing. No yellow light though.

I had just started playing Assassins Creed 2 also. Was working perfectly fine yesterday :(

Same exact thing is happening to me. I get to the XMB and it freezes. Then I have to turn it off manually up front. Then I restarted the console and it shut off after about ten seconds then the red power light flashes.

Infernodash said:
Yeah I called them first, and from there they sent me an email that linked to the service website, but the 250GB model wasnt one of the choices.
Same procedure for me also. I called the Sony customer service #, and they sent me an e-mail linking me to the site.

But I'm confused as fuck because some people here have said they called and the cust. rep explained to them they had a choice of repairing their older console (60g) but it would cost them a bit more ($150.00 + shipping) or they could trade up for the slim model which would end up totaling about $150.00.

What # are people here calling? I sure as hell didn't get that choice. At the site, it's just the option for repair, and the $150.00 plus shipping totaling to $178 and change. This blows because I just don't have close to $200.00 to repair the console right now...

I'm taking out my 500gb hdd and put the original 60gb hdd back in when I send it to get fixed. When I get my system back and swap the hhd back will I still have all my info from the 500 without doing a backup/restore?

My 80 gig (CECHE01) just died, flashing red.

Called customer service & worked my way up the chain from supervisors to managers trying to get my repair costs covered ( I told him I had spent over $15,000.00 on Sony products over the last 14 years: it worked the last time I had to call Sony when my KDS 55A2000 TV blew a $350.00 part after owning it just 2 years. They covered the cost of the part and I only paid 35.00 for a labor visit)

This time though I just managed to get 3 free games and got them to extend the warrantee from 3 months to 9.

Since I said I wanted a repair instead of a replacement, he mentioned that they may not have to wipe my disc, so my saves may survive the process.

I'll update when it comes back.

This sucks...

netguy503

Saint Francis said:
My 80 gig (CECHE01) just died, flashing red.

Called customer service & worked my way up the chain from supervisors to managers trying to get my repair costs covered ( I told him I had spent over $15,000.00 on Sony products over the last 14 years: it worked the last time I had to call Sony when my KDS 55A2000 TV blew a $350.00 part after owning it just 2 years. They covered the cost of the part and I only paid 35.00 for a labor visit)

This time though I just managed to get 3 free games and got them to extend the warrantee from 3 months to 9.

Since I said I wanted a repair instead of a replacement, he mentioned that they may not have to wipe my disc, so my saves may survive the process.

I'll update when it comes back.

This sucks...

That sucks!? Your getting 3 free games and your expenses paid for. Did I miss something..how does that suck? Anyway, you should have got a replacement instead of a repair. You'll know why soon enough.

KillerAJD

Welp, I'm boned. Just got off the phone and they won't deactivate my game accounts. One is lost forever due to an asshole guy I game shared with, and the others are family members who live in other states who I can't get a hold of atm. Sony said because they were family members, they had to do it themselves, and Sony would only deactivate the video content remotely. It's my fault, but it still pisses me off. I could try again, but I doubt they'd budge. The slim will probably be here on Friday, so hopefully I can get a hold of my family and walk them through the process. The friends that let me use their accounts are SOL though :/ I don't know what to fucking tell them. I should have just cracked it open and tried to fix it first, goddammit :/

G-Bus said:
Fuck.

had the same problem happen to my launch console.

You could try booting into safe mode, if you got a newer firmware(3.10?) and try each of the restore options.

none of them worked for me, but maybe you will fare better.

ended up sending it in for service

netguy503 said:
That sucks!? Your getting 3 free games and your expenses paid for. Did I miss something..how does that suck? Anyway, you should have got a replacement instead of a repair. You'll know why soon enough.

Why? When I called, they offered me a refurbished system as a trade, well a trade being my system + $120 + $29.99 s/h. Should I have chosen that over having my 60gb fixed?

Kukumalu

Infernodash said:

My 250GB PS3 Slim died at the end of December and I just received a new one yesterday and it is a 120GB model but it is brand new and came with another controller so I'm not even going to bother to call them about it.

netguy503

TheBrain76 said:
Why? When I called, they offered me a refurbished system as a trade, well a trade being my system + $120 + $29.99 s/h. Should I have chosen that over having my 60gb fixed?

I don't trust refurbished consoles this generation. You shouldn't either. After a system dies, there is no PERMANENT way to get it back to life. You might run into this problem again in a few months is all.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Kukumalu said:
My 250GB PS3 Slim died at the end of December and I just received a new one yesterday and it is a 120GB model but it is brand new and came with another controller so I'm not even going to bother to call them about it.

REALLY? What happened to it?

Sascha23

Banned
My launch-day PS3 died this past weekend. I mourned for a day and realized it was time to take Sony up on their offer to send it in and get a refurbished Slim.

Oh PS2 BC, I'm going to miss you so much.

netguy503

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
REALLY? What happened to it?

From what I'm hearing the 250 slim's are the one's dying early and not the 120's. Is that correct? Good thing I didn't get greedy and I new I could swap HDD for way less anyway.

Sascha23

Banned
TheBrain76 said:

I did. I just don't think I want to look at my 60gb anymore. She hurt me--real bad. She was so loyal for 3.5 years and all of a sudden she betrayed me. She's bound to do it again.

I'd rather just spend time with this Slim one. She seems more loyal and less power-hungry.

netguy503

Sascha23 said:
My launch-day PS3 died this past weekend. I mourned for a day and realized it was time to take Sony up on their offer to send it in and get a refurbished Slim.

Do you know what refurbished means? Why would you get a refurbished slim when the slim is a new system?

Sascha23

Banned
netguy503 said:
Do you know what refurbished means? Why would you get a refurbished slim when the slim is a new system?

Refurbished implies that it's not brand new. As in, someone had a Slim break, they fixed it, now they will send my way. This is how it works most of the time. In fact, they tell you it's refurbished on the phone.

I appreciate the attempt at educating me on my understanding of the word though. Thank you kindly.

netguy503 said:
I don't trust refurbished consoles this generation. You shouldn't either. After a system dies, there is no PERMANENT way to get it back to life. You might run into this problem again in a few months is all.

So, do you think I should just break down and buy a new slim? Money is tight as hell right now so I'm torn as to exactly what to do.

Sascha23

Banned
TheBrain76 said:
So, do you think I should just break down and buy a new slim? Money is tight as hell right now so I'm torn as to exactly what to do.

I wouldn't fret.

I have plenty of Sony products (VAIO, Sound System, PS1, PS2, and PS3)--my PS3 is the first device to break down and that was a launch system that got heavy usage. These things happen on occasion. After 15 years of owning Sony products, this is my first account of something failing. I'm willing to accept that.

netguy503

TheBrain76 said:

As I've told many. Check the ebay and craigslist in your area and I'd just sell your system because there is a market for dead consoles on the internet. While you'll still need to pay at least $100 more for a new slim (I sold my system for around $180 after s/h off craigslist) you will get a brand, new, never been touched system and a decent brand new warranty. REALLY worth it in my opinion.

netguy503

Sascha23 said:
I wouldn't fret.

I have plenty of Sony products (VAIO, Sound System, PS1, PS2, and PS3)--my PS3 is the first device to break down and that was a launch system that got heavy usage. These things happen on occasion. After 15 years of owning Sony products, this is my first account of something failing. I'm willing to accept that.

OK....

but he wants his system, or a system, back as soon as possible. Nothing in this post helped him to achieve that.

Sascha23 said:
I wouldn't fret.

I'm a pretty big fan of Sony products myself, but I had a launch PS2 die on me twice and so I'm a little gun-shy over going through this whole process again with the PS3. I wonder if I should just skip the whole process and do now what I should have done in the first place with my PS2.

I love my 60gb and it hurts to think of letting it go, but I might be better off to just cut and run.

Oddly enough, all the problems I had with my PS2 is what ultimately kept me from buying a 360.

netguy503

TheBrain76 said:
I'm a pretty big fan of Sony products myself, but I had a launch PS2 die on me twice and so I'm a little gun-shy over going through this whole process again with the PS3. I wonder if I should just skip the whole process and do now what I should have done in the first place with my PS2.

I love my 60gb and it hurts to think of letting it go, but I might be better off to just cut and run.

Oddly enough, all the problems I had with my PS2 is what ultimately kept me from buying a 360.

WOW, I NEVER had a problem with a PS2. I didn't even REALIZE the PS2's had problems until this thread. And I played the PS2 ALOT more than I have played my PS3.

And, poster, the only thing you can do now IS cut and run. If you are real tight on money, you could try to reflow it which will give you 4-5 months TOPS more with your machine in which you could build up money. But you are playing a dangerous game with a refurb. As the question is not "will it break down" anymore but "WHEN will it break down". And the next time you could have a $60 game in there and your out your system+ $60. Also, some have had there console die a WEEK after reflowing so it's up to you.

deadbeef

Is this an over heating problem? Service rep said it was motherboard. I'm getting my 60gb launch unit repaired. Do I need to be careful where I put it? Is that what killed it?

KillerAJD

Good new everyone! Well, for me anyways. What I didn't say before was that I hung up mid-sentence on the service rep because we were talking in circles and I was getting annoyed nobody could help me. I guess that worked, because the guy just called me back, and said they deactivated my accounts on good will :D The guy (and the email) state it's a one time deal, so I guess I'm counting my lucky stars. It doesn't fix the problem with my friends accounts being one activation short, but I might be able to slip them some cash in compensation (or get them to try the same tactic).

Oh, and when I talked with Sony about the Slim, they said it was refurbished (actually, he used another word, but I can't remember it atm), but that the only thing being reused was the shell; all the internals were brand new. I wouldn't worry much about it anyways. I don't know how reliable this guy is, but he makes a pretty good case on buying refurb. stuff LINK

lupinko

Yeah I got my PS3 back.

They didn't fix it. lol

It was expected though since it's not domestic, but it's okay, I wasn't charged and I have a contingency plan anyway for it.

netguy503 said:
WOW, I NEVER had a problem with a PS2. I didn't even REALIZE the PS2's had problems until this thread. And I played the PS2 ALOT more than I have played my PS3.

And, poster, the only thing you can do now IS cut and run. If you are real tight on money, you could try to reflow it which will give you 4-5 months TOPS more with your machine in which you could build up money. But you are playing a dangerous game with a refurb. As the question is not "will it break down" anymore but "WHEN will it break down". And the next time you could have a $60 game in there and your out your system+ $60. Also, some have had there console die a WEEK after reflowing so it's up to you.

What's reflowing? If I could get my system back up and running even for a day or so I'd feel a lot better about selling it for parts if I could delete all my info off of it first.

Nizz

Sascha23 said:

If I can ask, how is it you're getting offered a slim for your 60g? I got on the phone with a Sony customer rep and all they told me is that they would send me an e-mail with a link on how to set up the repair service.

I never got offered a slim for my 60g. Are you in the US? What number did you call?

Dogenzaka

Banned
I have a question....if my 60GB backwards compatible 2007 PS3 were to just die on me all of a sudden, and I sent it to be repaired/looked at, would I get a functioning 60GB backwards compatible PS3 back? Or would they send me a slim? :(

Nizz

Dogenzaka said:
I have a question....if my 60GB backwards compatible 2007 PS3 were to just die on me all of a sudden, and I sent it to be repaired/looked at, would I get a functioning 60GB backwards compatible PS3 back? Or would they send me a slim? :(
I've been trying to find out myself. I got my 60g in 2007, just died this past weekend. Some people seem to be getting offered a slim one for their 60g. Others seem to be getting their 60g's repaired.

I'd love to get as much advice as I can before I decide what to do. I don't know if I should E-Bay mine as is, pay Sony for the repair, see if I can get a slim for the 60g (I'd probably trust the slim more at this point).

Or to give these guys a try: http://www.psr1.com/

deadbeef

Dogenzaka said:
Called tonight and they said I had a choice - repair for $180 or get a slim for $150.

PuMa

After unsucessfully trying to re-flow my YLOD 60 GB PS3 ofer the weekend. I finally shipped her off to Sony for repair. Here's to hoping that they can fix it so I don't lose all my saves.
:-(

damn, i've been stressing a lot over my dead out-of-warranty 60gb... i dont know whats the best option. my main concern is my game saves.. SO, i would like to ask a question or two if someone could help me... (i would really appreciate it, cos im having a hard time finding answers anywhere).

the reflow with a heatgun YLOD fix can work temporarily, right? i watched the youtube instructions and read hundreds of comments saying that it works. so i guess it really does, with a fairly good chance?

is it possible then, if i can get my 60gb to work, to use the data transfer utility that came with fw3.15 to save ALL my data (including locked saves) to a new PS3? and will the saves work 100% properly, can i continue getting trophies and continue progress in online games etc?

ALSO, if my fixing attempt fails, can i still get Sony to fix it for me for whatever it costs out-of-warranty? (i think it was 190e here... way too high) or will they see if it's been tampered with and refuse to fix it altogether?

thanks for any help!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
astroturfing said:
damn, i've been stressing a lot over my dead out-of-warranty 60gb... i dont know whats the best option. my main concern is my game saves.. SO, i would like to ask a question or two if someone could help me... (i would really appreciate it, cos im having a hard time finding answers anywhere).

the reflow with a heatgun YLOD fix can work temporarily, right? i watched the youtube instructions and read hundreds of comments saying that it works. so i guess it really does, with a fairly good chance?

is it possible then, if i can get my 60gb to work, to use the data transfer utility that came with fw3.15 to save ALL my data (including locked saves) to a new PS3? and will the saves work 100% properly, can i continue getting trophies and continue progress in online games etc?

ALSO, if my fixing attempt fails, can i still get Sony to fix it for me for whatever it costs out-of-warranty? (i think it was 190e here... way too high) or will they see if it's been tampered with and refuse to fix it altogether?

thanks for any help!

Others will confirm, but im pretty sure that they just take your YLOD system and toss it into a pile of other YLOD systems....they wont care if the seals broke or not. Then they just send you another of the same system that they refurb'd.

deadbeef

DenogginizerOS said:
Is that a refurb slim they send you?
I didn't think to ask, but she did say that the slim and the repaired unit would come with a 90 day warrant but it couldn't be extended for either. Not sure if that's a clue or not.

Top Bottom