• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

carlos

netguy503 said:
If you turned it off from the back then it didn't die for "no reason". SEVERAL people have warned not to turn your console off from the back. It takes away too much power. That is why the slims don't even have a power switch in the back.

Nah, I only used the back switch when I was going away for a month or so, and there are frequent power surges where I live, so even with a surge protector, I preferred to leave it unplugged...

and anyway, it was turned on and working fine when it suddenly shut down

Now I'm screwed, because there's a stripped screw that won't let me get to that power switch

lucius

my slim is very quiet, I had two 60gb models die on me. My brother works for UPS says they are getting broken PS3's much more about same rate they use to get 360's, which wasn't the case when PS3's first came out.

Ovid

carlos said:
Nah, I only used the back switch when I was going away for a month or so, and there are frequent power surges where I live, so even with a surge protector, I preferred to leave it unplugged...
How sad is it that we come up with the silliest things to prevent the YLOD. I'll admit I'm a victim of this thinking too. I only started using my launch unit on an daily basis last year. I went a whole year without even using it back in 2007. I took excellent care of the system and it still died on my last month.

I used the OFF switch on my PS2 all of the time and never had problem. Everyone has to realize that the design of the PS3 is/was flawed. There is nothing we can do to prevent the PS3 from dying at some point. The only thing we can do is take preventative measures to prolong the lifespan of the console. Now that I reflowed it I only use it for about an hour every few days or so. I also keep my room extemely cold to prevent it from overheating.

My Xbox it now the primary console. Shame on you Sony.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
tarius1210 said:
How sad is it that we come up with the silliest things to prevent the YLOD. I'll admit I'm a victim of this thinking too. I only started using my launch unit on an daily basis last year. I went a whole year without even using it back in 2007. I took excellent care of the system and it still died on my last month.

I used the OFF switch on my PS2 all of the time and never had problem. Everyone has to realize that the design of the PS3 is/was flawed. There is nothing we can do to prevent the PS3 from dying at some point. The only thing we can do is take preventative measures to prolong the lifespan of the console. Now that I reflowed it I only use it for about an hour every few days or so. I also keep my room extemely cold to prevent it from overheating.

My Xbox it now the primary console. Shame on you Sony.

Sorry to say, but your system will more likely than not be dead again within a couple months. The reflow method is a bandaid, and nothing more. If you're not already, you should be backing up your stuff on a weekly basis.

Im totally with you on how going to all these extreme measures is quite pointless with the PS3. I took excellent care of my launch unit, cleaning it, keeping it cool, etc...and like you, mine died anyways.

Now i dont know if i would go as far as you to say that the design of the PS3 is flawed, but theres certainly something going on as more and more of the older units YLOD. Now that i have my Slim, my only hope is that they somehow corrected whatever could be causing the old models to die mostly around the 2-2.5 year mark otherwise a couple years from now all of our Slims will be YLOD'ing too....

Ovid

Sloppy Joe, I know it's just a band aid on the problem. I know it will die again that's why I hardly use it now.

Oh yeah, and your Slim will die. A GAF poster already had his die on him. That's why I said the design of the PS3 is flawed.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
tarius1210 said:
Sloppy Joe, I know it's just a band aid on the problem. I know it will die again that's why I hardly use it now.

And its complete BS that we have to stoop to these levels this gen. I dont know...this stuff gets me quite angry when i think about it...

netguy503

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Now that i have my Slim, my only hope is that they somehow corrected whatever could be causing the old models to die mostly around the 2-2.5 year mark otherwise a couple years from now all of our Slims will be YLOD'ing too....

I HOPE not. I have a 2 year warranty from Best Buy for the Slim I got last Black Friday with the LBP and Ratchet bundle (I also got GOW collection on that day as well). I WANT my PS3 to did before the two years is up so I can get another one for FREE and then have that one for ANOTHER 3 years.

I know...sounds weird right.:lol

Beowulf28 said:
Yeah I guess I'll do that. How good are the slims, reliability wise?

I bought a slim at launch and the GPU died on me 4 months later. Could have been sooner if I played it more. Now that I got my refurb back, it's seemed so far so good but I didn't have a good experience.

netguy503

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
And its complete BS that we have to stoop to these levels this gen. I dont know...this stuff gets me quite angry when i think about it...

THIS...THIS...ALL THIS!!! Man, I would have SO MUCH more fun this generation if I wasn't afraid of my console dying. :(

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
OldJadedGamer said:
I bought a slim at launch and the GPU died on me 4 months later. Could have been sooner if I played it more. Now that I got my refurb back, it's seemed so far so good but I didn't have a good experience.

While im not minimizing your bad experience, to me, a bad GPU is more along the lines of a defective system from the start, as opposed to the YLOD type issue that to me seems to be an issue that most, if not all PS3s (at least the old models) will run into.

On another related note, it pisses me off that they stick you with a refurb even if your system dies within the 1 yr warranty. Have some confidence in your product....IMO, within the 1st year you should get a brand new system.

netguy503

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
On another related note, it pisses me off that they stick you with a refurb even if your system dies within the 1 yr warranty. Have some confidence in your product....IMO, within the 1st year you should get a brand new system.

That's why I got the Best Buy warranty. I can walk into the store, pick up a brand new PS3, and walk out if my Slim dies in a two year time period (which, unfortunately, is likely) starting from last. black friday. I just hope my slim dies in a year and a half.:D

Seriously, though, I think the next gen of consoles will be announced before then. BOTH consoles have been having such trouble. Game companies aren't losing money from the recession- they are losing money because people are scared to even turn on their own systems.:lol

Nizz

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
While im not minimizing your bad experience, to me, a bad GPU is more along the lines of a defective system from the start, as opposed to the YLOD type issue that to me seems to be an issue that most, if not all PS3s (at least the old models) will run into.

Yep, would be nice to get a new system back. Especially since you know how well you've taken care of it. On that note though, the slim replacement I got for my old 60g looks perfect. The shell is in mint condition, looks brand new.

And it's way quieter than the old one. Where my 60g's fan would cut on after only 5-10 minutes of it powered on, the slim is whisper quiet. Only way I find it a bit noisier is when the drive is reading the disc. Sounds more... mechanical if anyone knows what I mean.

But I'm pretty happy with it so far.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

My slim was fine until Uncharted 2 came out, then it started taking a massive crap with the GPU. Everything was fine up to that point. It wasn't broken out of the box.

Massa

hirokazu said:
I've tried the lens cleaner. It may work if dirt is the problem. It wasn't for me, so it didn't do anything. I only got it for around $20US including shipping off eBay, so it wasn't that big a waste if it could be used to clean lens in the future.

I don't know if that lens cleaner actually works anyhow, there's testimonials from people who claim it works and then people who had dead lasers saying it didn't, but I wish someone could conduct a proper scientific test on it.

Well I decided not to bother with it. I'll open up the Blu-Ray drive and clean the lens myself, if it fixes the problem then great; in any case I'm selling this system before I have even more problems with it.

Any tips for cleaning the lens? I saw this but using a cotton doesn't seem like a good idea.

hirokazu said:
Can you still access the XMB when the game freezes?

No. For every game that crashes since this problem started I can't access the XMB and I can't even restart the system by holding the Power button; I have to hold it for even longer until it powers down. When I start the system back up after that it won't even read the disc, I have to shut it down again.

Edit: Scratch that, for some games I'm able to access the XMB. When I turn off the PS3 from there it crashes though.

ShinyBallBoy

Neo Member
My second PS3 (a launch 60 GB) died: i was browsing GAF from the console browser, the console shut off and now it will not turn on anymore, beep beep beep... red blinking light and so on.

Since i'm out of warranty i'm gonna try to swap the BD drive with my old one that had a laser failure months ago; hopefully i can get it to work again.

This gen sucks: i'm on my second xbox and i might need to purchase the third PS3...

Also a game is stuck inside the disc drive: is there a way to take it out?

ShinyBallBoy said:
My second PS3 (a launch 60 GB) died: i was browsing GAF from the console browser, the console shut off and now it will not turn on anymore, beep beep beep... red blinking light and so on.

Since i'm out of warranty i'm gonna try to swap the BD drive with my old one that had a laser failure months ago; hopefully i can get it to work again.

This gen sucks: i'm on my second xbox and i might need to purchase the third PS3...

Also a game is stuck inside the disc drive: is there a way to take it out?

Im not sure if this works with the 60 gig version, worked on my 40 gig

-turn power switch in the back OFF
-press and hold ps3 power button
-turn switch on the back ON while still holding the ps3 power button

noah111

Still Alive
I've been holding off on using my PS3 avidly for the past month (ever since I got it reflowed) but now i'm going to finally sell it and my old broken PSP's and have enough money for a slim! :D

FunkyPajamas said:
My sad tale.
So I stopped playing for a couple of weeks (too much work, girlfriend, not really in the mood to play because of HDMI issue) and last night I decided to fire up the PS3 again to play Demon's Souls while the pure white/black tendency event is going, and voila! It prompted me to switch to HDMI and worked again! I'll definitely try to keep my gaming sessions rather short from now on (which is a pity, to be honest). Still thinking about getting a second PS3, probably a slim, but it can wait.

:D Oh, what a happy day! :D

Willenium

I'm pretty sure my system isn't dying, but I can't find the general PS3 discussion thread, so I'll ask here:
My controllers won't sync up wirelessly anymore. I powered on the system by ejecting a disc and putting a different one in while the controller was plugged in via USB and everything worked fine, but then I unplugged the cable to move more than 2 feet away from the system and it won't re-sync. Just flashes the 4 lights at me and doesn't do anything.

I've tried resetting the controller, I've tried using a different controller. Tried checking for a system update while the controller still worked, but there was none. Nothing will work. Hell, I even tried plugging it back in and just playing tethered, but now even that won't work. The system is a refurbed 80gb I got from GameStop, with one original black controller and one newer blue controller, both Sony Sixaxis...es. WHAT CAN I DO :(

noah111

Still Alive
As some of you may know, my launch 60GB PS3 died out on me several months back, eventually got the money to fix it (sent to TGR for $99 so i didn't lose my gamesaves/activation etc). I just got back from selling it via Craigslist for $200! Good deal imo. I also ended up selling my two broken PSP 1000's along with a dozen old games for for 75 bucks.. It was fair due to the circumstances.

So now I have enough money to get a PS3 slim at last, and will swap out the 120GB (prob sell it) and put in my 320GB. Can't wait, so glad it's finally over with and I can play mah games!

Goodbye old PS3. :(

2aj6xae.jpg

Hello PS3 slim. :D

2j4zwx2.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
That's pretty damn horrible. Good luck bro. If it doesn't work out for you, i'd search up local fixing on craigslist, they're pretty cheap.

I cleaned the paste off but I'm done for the night. Going to flux, flow, paste, and reassemble after work tomorrow.

Here's a better view of the paste before I cleaned it off (now they're clean as new). Looks like spilled milk.

dscn8439f.jpg

dscn8437b.jpg

Dogenzaka

Banned
So if I get YLOD or something else, is it possible to fix myself or with someone I know? What's the cause of it, overheating?

If I set in my 60GB, would I get a 60GB back? BC is invaluable to me.

noah111

Still Alive
Dogenzaka said:
So if I get YLOD or something else, is it possible to fix myself or with someone I know? What's the cause of it, overheating?

If I set in my 60GB, would I get a 60GB back? BC is invaluable to me.
You might be able to fix it yourself. Doesn't always work though, especially if you get something wrong etc. And yes, if you send it into Sony for the $150 and specify you want the same model sent back, they will do so. That's probably a better solution if you don't care about the system activation and game saves etc since they send you a new model thus it'll last much longer, rather than patchwork which is the traditional YLOD fix. It's all up to you though tbh.. if you care about your PS3 contents i'd recommend doing monthly backups using an external HDD.

monocromo

Today I was playing Borderlands and some weird colors appeared in the sky, like green and white sections.

I think I'm going to cry. A lot.

crono152

Just got my ps3 back today. It's the same console. I was surprised they shipped it back to me within a day or two of receiving it. I guess the turn around is pretty fast. It's hard to believe I only got it in November and I ended up having a problem with it so soon. Everything seems to be working fine
for
now.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sentry said:
You might be able to fix it yourself. Doesn't always work though, especially if you get something wrong etc. And yes, if you send it into Sony for the $150 and specify you want the same model sent back, they will do so. That's probably a better solution if you don't care about the system activation and game saves etc since they send you a new model thus it'll last much longer, rather than patchwork which is the traditional YLOD fix. It's all up to you though tbh.. if you care about your PS3 contents i'd recommend doing monthly backups using an external HDD.

No, they send you a refurb model.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
crono152 said:
Just got my ps3 back today. It's the same console. I was surprised they shipped it back to me within a day or two of receiving it. I guess the turn around is pretty fast. It's hard to believe I only got it in November and I ended up having a problem with it so soon. Everything seems to be working fine
for
now.

Sucks...so you had problems with your Slim? Just curious what was wrong with it?

noah111

Still Alive
BolognaSoup said:
and you can prove this how?
Are you for real? :lol One system is refurb (new system), and the other is the same system you've had for all many years, just patched up.

Neither are as good as a brand new system, but a refurb is more than likely going to last you longer than you fixing it yourself, period.

crono152

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Sucks...so you had problems with your Slim? Just curious what was wrong with it?

It isn't a slim. It's a 60gb model. My previous post in this topic is right here.

I did another install of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and didn't have a problem this time.

Sentry said:
Are you for real? :lol One system is refurb (new system), and the other is the same system you've had for all many years, just patched up.

Neither are as good as a brand new system, but a refurb is more than likely going to last you longer than you fixing it yourself, period.

So you are calling a refurb a new system? You have no clue what that thing is like on the inside without looking in there. Would you also argue that getting your oil changed at a car shop is better for your car than doing it yourself?

Would you say this same thing to 360 owners that have gone through multiple refurbs? I'm on my 5th 360. I would argue that I was just as likely to fix my first 4 myself just as well as Microsoft did.

noah111

Still Alive
BolognaSoup said:
So you are calling a refurb a new system? Would you also argue that getting your oil changed at a car shop is better for your car than doing it yourself?

Would say this same thing to 360 owners that have gone through multiple refurbs? I'm on my 5th 360. I would argue that I was just as likely to fix my first 4 myself just as well as Microsoft did.
I was saying a new system in the sense that it is not your old system patched up, but rather a refurb. A fix yourself will last you half a year max, a refurb will last longer, period. 360 has nothing to do with it.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
After 2 years and 4 months my 60Gb PS3 abruptly switched off today, and now the fabled YLOD has become a reality for me. Here are a few things I've tried on the off-chance of getting it back on its feet:

-Removing the stock HDD.
-Replacing the stock HDD with a 500gb Samsung.
-Hoovering all the vents.
-Repeatedly turning it on/off for 5 minutes.
-Switching it on whilst holding it at various angles.

Unfortunately, beyond these admittedly desperate tactics, I don't have the tools or experience to open and fix it myself. This leaves me with two questions (sorry if they've already been discussed here):

1) Are there any other things I can try myself?
2) How much would an official repair cost in the UK, and where should I go?

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't even know which divison of Sony to contact at this point.

noah111

Still Alive
BolognaSoup said:
LOL Ok

Not my old system patched up, just someone else's old system patched up. Got it. :lol
:lol Oh come on, refurbs aren't JUST YLOD's fixed, and even if they are, they're usually professionally fixed, not with a hair dryer etc. Thus it'll last 3-6 months rather than weeks.

My point to start with was basically that if you don't mind getting your data erased etc, yet still want the same system model (i.e. 60GB) then going the pay route is better than fixing it yourself.

I just realized my money calculations on the slim were off, forgot about the fucking 8% tax, ridiculous.. should get it this Saturday though. :D

Cataferal said:
After 2 years and 4 months my 60Gb PS3 abruptly switched off today, and now the fabled YLOD has become a reality for me. Here are a few things I've tried on the off-chance of getting it back on its feet:

1) Are there any other things I can try myself?
2) How much would an official repair cost in the UK, and where should I go?

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't even know which divison of Sony to contact at this point.
I'm not sure about the Sony price in UK, but if you're low on cash you should always check craigslist, they might have some good deals with local fixing shops.

The point is, we don't know if they are YLOD repairs, dropped it down the stairs repairs, spilled my coffee inside it repairs or what. Did you mean 3-6 YEARS or months? Because there's no way you'd argue it's acceptable to pay $150+ for a 6 month fix.

Since I'm out of warranty, I'd much rather try a fix myself before paying for a fix I have just about as much confidence in. What's to lose? If this doesn't work/when it stops working, I'll just buy a Slim and sell this for nearly the cost of a repair (even half that and I'd be happy). That's probably a safer investment than $150+ for a "fix."

and I'm not using a hairdryer and some Elmer's glue. :D

noah111

Still Alive
I was saying the better solution is to send it to Sony if you want the same model and to last longer. I wouldn't do it myself, but then again I was short on money and I needed to deactivate my system etc. However you could still pay the fee and then sell it for 200+ on ebay/craigslist as well, which is similar to what I did (just not through Sony).

Like I said to begin with, it's all up to your and what you have at your disposal and what you want from the whole thing.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Just gave the hairdryer fix a shot, and nothing happened. I had hoped to at least get it going long enough to reformat the HDD, deactivate my PSN account, and eject the game I still had in there. It could very well be a PSU fault, in which case further attempts obviously won't encourage a different result. That's it; goodbye my black beauty. We had the best of times, and the blurst of times.

I'm at a loss for options now; being the most expensive piece of tech in the house, I took such good care of this thing (it's the first console to ever die on me), and I've really no money to spend on a refurb. Plus, if I did manage to pay up, I'd in all likelihood lose my fully featured 60Gb in favour of a used 40Gb model which may only last up to a year. On the other hand, taking the DIY or street repair routes will probably, at best, breath up to three months of life back into it. Either way I'm not convinced I got my money's worth from the whole PS3 experience; my original 15 year old PS1 is still ticking quite happily, so why not this?

I don't understand how Sony can expect a £70-100 advance on the repairs when their main competitor is committed to providing the same service for free.

Ok, I've finished the gilksy repair and....SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! :D Here's hoping it lasts for a while. Even 6 months and I'd be ok with that. It's now very clean inside, a nice thin layer of arctic silver, flux, etc.

MoxManiac

BolognaSoup said:
The point is, we don't know if they are YLOD repairs, dropped it down the stairs repairs, spilled my coffee inside it repairs or what. Did you mean 3-6 YEARS or months? Because there's no way you'd argue it's acceptable to pay $150+ for a 6 month fix.

Since I'm out of warranty, I'd much rather try a fix myself before paying for a fix I have just about as much confidence in. What's to lose? If this doesn't work/when it stops working, I'll just buy a Slim and sell this for nearly the cost of a repair (even half that and I'd be happy). That's probably a safer investment than $150+ for a "fix."

and I'm not using a hairdryer and some Elmer's glue. :D

My "refurb" from sony lasted exactly 5 months before dying again. Only reason i agreed to pay again was because i basically got a new slim instead of an old refurb ps3 this time.

Top Bottom