• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
netguy503 said:
Are you serious? Have you read this very thread? A member had his slim die two months into it's life cycle. So yeah....you can forget about that.:lol

That is why I'm HOPING that they announce the PS4 sooner than later ( I know it will probably be 2 more years) so I can have a system that actually work. And I DON'T want BC with the PS3 bc if you ask around that is why most launch PS3's died in the first place...the BC, the OS system, they just crammed way to much into the PS3 and it was basically exhausting itself to death. I also want them to do something with the PSN (maybe like a reset) because I'm losing activations with these dead systems and if I want to activate my PS4 while keeping my PS3 that's ANOTHER activation. Sony really needs to step up their game on this. But of course I'll be laughed at by the members of this forum.

Anyway....

So you do vacuum your system? You think once a month is good? Is it on or off when you do this? What is this thing about keeping your system in the same place, I don't see why that's important? Thanks.

I was kind of half joking when i said that God help us if Slims start dying in 2 years because im already aware of what you said about some of them dying already. Although there are always dead units/faulty ones in every system launch so i guess the key thing is, are these affected Slims duds from the beginning, or are they also dying prematurely too?

While I agree with you on the activations thing, im MORE concerned about the locked saves. Sony NEEDS,NEEDS to put something in place where they can tie your saves to your PSN id somehow so that people dont lose all their hard work when systems die. Screw the trophies being the reason...there has to be a way around it.

I usually would vacuum the vents every few months or so. Although i really dont know if im going to do that anymore since it made ZERO difference and my old system died prematurely anyway. With my Slim i regularly dust it, and keep the area all around it dust free, and i give it plenty of space (9+ inches on all four sides), and im gonna hope for the best. Although this is another topic for another day, even with all that space, the Slim fan noise is pretty annoying too. It never feels hot, yet the fans start whirrrrrrrrrring within 10 minutes of me playing games. I know they said they "redesigned" the whole cooling system with the Slim, so i guess i have to trust them that its doing as its supposed to.

Oh and about the whole not moving the system...its just my paranoia..maybe justified, maybe not. I never take my system anywhere other than when i would unplug it and clean the vents. I hear all these stories about people that unhook their systems and take them all over the place to friends houses, etc...it just makes me shudder. More of an opportunity for it to accidentally drop, get hit, etc...

As for the PS4...i doubt we'll see it anytime soon. The PS3 is just now hitting its stride and there's a ton of great games coming, and we'll sure to get alot more too. I would say 1-2 years before Sony starts any talk on PS4...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
MoxManiac said:
Weird, my new (er, refurbished slim) is quiet as hell, and it's in a semi enclosed space.

And thats the other thing too....Sonys apparent QA when making these Slims leave alot to be desired. There are two camps with the Slim....either you have a silent one, or yours has a noisy fan that makes a whirrrrr type noise. Further digging by a gaming forum (cant remember the name) showed that Sony is using two different fans for the Slims....a delta fan and a Nitek ( i think thats the other name). Anyhow, the ones made with the Nitek fans are the noisy ones, while the others are silent. Again....who knows if systems that were made with the crappy, loud Nitek fans will die prematurely..??

Cornbread78

I just went out and bought a Slim. because I couldn't wait for mine anymore. I'm still going to send it out (I already miss the 4 USBs) but the Slim is super slick and quiet.

test_account

XP-39C²
test_account said:
Pity to hear that your PS3 died :( My PS3 died yesterday as well, it got YLOD too.

Today i delivered my PS3 to the store (at GameStop) where i bought my PS3. The guy who worked there wasnt quite sure if they still fixed 60GB PS3s, but he was going to call some other guy tomorrow to check. The store guy would then call me back and tell me if Sony could still repair 60GB PS3 or not. This is in Europe though (where i live), so i dont know if there will be anything difference in the rest of the world regarding if Sony still offers to fix 60GB PS3s or not. But i will post a reply in this thread as soon as i have heard from GameStop again :)
I am quoting myself here since i told that i would post a reply when i had heard from Gamestop again regarding the repair of my european 60GB PS3. Yesterday i heard from Gamestop again. They told me that a repair center is being buildt/made where i live, and this repair center will open in about 1 month from now. So i will get my european 60GB PS3 fixed, but unfortunately i must wait over 1 month :\ But at least i know that my 60GB PS3 can still be fixed at least :)

Cornbread78 said:
I just went out and bought a Slim. because I couldn't wait for mine anymore. I'm still going to send it out (I already miss the 4 USBs) but the Slim is super slick and quiet.
I am going to buy a PS3 Slim as well :) I dont want to wait over 1 month before i get my 60GB PS3 back again. And when i get my 60GB PS3 back, then i can always use this PS3 as a backup in case my PS3 Slim dies some time. Cool to hear that the PS3 Slim is super slick and quiet, i am looking forward to see the PS3 Slim for myself (i have only seen pictures and movie clips of it so far) :)

On my 60GB PS3 i used 3 USB ports (1 port for a USB keyboard, 1 post for the controller charge cable and 1 port for a headset charger), so i have thinking about buying a USB HUB (i dont think that a USB HUB is that expencive) after when i have bought a PS3 Slim, so i get access to at least 4 USB ports again :)

Nizz

test_account said:
I am quoting myself here since i told that i would post a reply when i had heard from Gamestop again regarding the repair of my european 60GB PS3. Yesterday i heard from Gamestop again. They told me that a repair center is being buildt/made where i live, and this repair center will open in about 1 month from now. So i will get my european 60GB PS3 fixed, but unfortunately i must wait over 1 month :\ But at least i know that my 60GB PS3 can still be fixed at least :)

I am going to buy a PS3 Slim as well :) I dont want to wait over 1 month before i get my 60GB PS3 back again. And when i get my 60GB PS3 back, then i can always use this PS3 as a backup in case my PS3 Slim dies some time. Cool to hear that the PS3 Slim is super slick and quiet, i am looking forward to see the PS3 Slim for myself (i have only seen pictures and movie clips of it so far) :)

On my 60GB PS3 i used 3 USB ports (1 port for a USB keyboard, 1 post for the controller charge cable and 1 port for a headset charger), so i have thinking about buying a USB HUB (i dont think that a USB HUB is that expencive) after when i have bought a PS3 Slim, so i get access to at least 4 USB ports again :)
I just got a slim replacement PS3 about a week ago and let me tell, compared to my 60g this thing is super quiet.

I really like its looks also. It's not a dust magnet like the other one was. I actually like the design of the slim more. It's more squarely shaped. I didn't think the 60g was ugly, but the design (the overlap to the right of the console) I didn't dig too much.

And the room is a lot cooler also. I remember my room would get pretty warm with the 60g on. After maybe ten-fifteen minutes it would hit the second fan stage. It always felt 5/10 degrees hotter in the room than the rest of the house.

Yeah, I lost BC, two USB ports, card readers (though I never used them) but I gained a smaller system that runs quieter, cooler, aesthetically (imo) more pleasing with a bigger hard drive. Only complaint I have is that with this one's wi-fi, I seem to get disconnected more often from the network than with the 60g.

Could just be how I have my wireless network set up. But all in all, seems good. Hope it lasts longer than my old one...

MoxManiac

The loss of BC doesn't really bother me that much anymore. Maybe because I don't think PS2 games look that bad on my new HDTV using an actual PS2. I guess my TV has a pretty decent scaler.

YagizY

What is the prognosis of 80GB Motorstorm units. Have those YLOD a lot or just launch systems?

Ever since I started playing MW2 I think my BD drive is getting overworked. I played Uncharted 2 tonight and loading times are long as well as the game keeps on freezing before cut-scenes (sometimes it kicks back in sometimes not). Is it my BD drive? The interesting thing is I was playing the Heavy Rain demo and it also froze, but of course there is no disc involved with the demo. What the fuck is going on?

Noisepurge said:
Statistics from the playstation forums read a grim tale ;D

tumblr_kvx5qiHyWE1qz4e3zo1_400.jpg

I would like to see overall sold percentage's of those consoles with that , otherwise it's useless !

YagizY

YagizY said:
What is the prognosis of 80GB Motorstorm units. Have those YLOD a lot or just launch systems?

Ever since I started playing MW2 I think my BD drive is getting overworked. I played Uncharted 2 tonight and loading times are long as well as the game keeps on freezing before cut-scenes (sometimes it kicks back in sometimes not). Is it my BD drive? The interesting thing is I was playing the Heavy Rain demo and it also froze, but of course there is no disc involved with the demo. What the fuck is going on?

Anyone have any ideas?

Massa

I started having problems with my 40Gb PS3 today. Here are the symptons:

house%201.jpg

- it locks up in GH Aerosmith. Music went crazy but you could still play it for about 10 seconds, when the system froze completely (only thing you could do with the PS3 was sync a controller). Tried to restart it by holding the Power button until the bip, no dice; had to hold it until it powered off the system.

- turn on the system. Reads the game disc as "Corrupted Data".

- put in GH 3. The XMB correctly displayed the disc's logo and name (instead of Corrupted Data) but I get an error trying to launch the game.

- put in the GOW Collection disc. Worked fine until the God of War 2 menus, when I quit the game (I had to leave the house). After quitting it took a long time for the XMB icons to show up, but they eventually did and I shut down the system correctly.

- got back home and tried FIFA 10. Worked fine except it wouldn't show the teams badges on the pause screen, which was weird, and then the game completely froze when I reached half time.

I've had this system for two years. I don't play BD or DVD movies on it (ironically, to save the BD lens). I don't rent games and don't buy used either, all games that go into this system are new and have always been handled correctly by myself (no fingerprints on them, I'm obsessively careful with that stuff).

There's a lot of dust here so I'm inclined to try this Maxell cleaner:

ref=dp_image_0

Anyone's tried it? I'm considering importing it, it would cost me $40 with Express shipping or $30 if I'm willing to wait a month like I normally do when buying games. It would suck to waste $40 so I'm here looking for opinions. :-|

I'm going to try some PSN games and demos to confirm whether the problem is with the BD lens.

Zep

Banned
Don't even waste your time buying lens cleaner...Your blu ray lens is DEAD. I've had to fix two 40gb PS3's of mine(sold one off to a friend and bought another off craigslist broken for $100 to fix)

Your problems means you need to either send it in for repair or buy a new lens+deck combo for $70 and install it. It's a really simple process but if you're uncomfortable doing it, see if there's a shop around there that can follow a youtube guide to do it.

The demos and PSN games will play no problem because they're feeding off the HDD...It means nothing to do that.

ChuBoi

Banned
So I lent my 11 yr old cousin my 60Gb BC PS3 since I've been busy w/ MW2 and ME2. Dumb idea, I know, but for some reason he's a HUGE Sony fanboy but his parents say its too expensive. (PS It's scary to see fanboyism start so young. I asked him why he doesn't want a 360, which had an incredible $230CDN Elite boxing day sale in Canada, and his only valid point was "because I want a PS3" :lol He has a Walmart PS3 Slim ad taped to his wall over his bed :lol :lol ).

I get the PS3 back, and for some (dumb) reason he decided to put a Gamecube-sized disc in the PS3 to see what would happen, and it gets stuck. Soo..

1) I can still put in PS3 discs but they dont get read, I'm presuming the small disc is blocking the lens. I'm no stranger to voiding warranties and opening consoles, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to open up the PS3 sometime later. Don't want to lose my 60gb BC to Sony Repair. The disc slot makes funny sounds when I power it on as well, if that helps.

2) And now, for some reason, not even my downloadable games start up! I downloaded fl0w last night, but the screen just goes dark and nothing happens. Tried all my demos, same thing.

Should I just give up and get a Slim? I do play SSX3 occasionally, but that's about it.

Oh and what size torx screwdriver do I need to open up the PS3? I got a regular torx T10, but it didn't work. Think I need a torx with a hole at the tip.

Carnby

my ps3 makes a squeek sound at random. at first i thought there was a mouse in my house. it usually makes the squeek sound when i am on the start up XMB.

any opinions on what the squeek could be?

CrankyJay

Banned
jaekwon15 said:
my ps3 makes a squeek sound at random. at first i thought there was a mouse in my house. it usually makes the squeek sound when i am on the start up XMB.

any opinions on what the squeek could be?

A mouse in your ps3? :lol

Massa

Zep said:
Don't even waste your time buying lens cleaner...Your blu ray lens is DEAD. I've had to fix two 40gb PS3's of mine(sold one off to a friend and bought another off craigslist broken for $100 to fix)

Your problems means you need to either send it in for repair or buy a new lens+deck combo for $70 and install it. It's a really simple process but if you're uncomfortable doing it, see if there's a shop around there that can follow a youtube guide to do it.

The demos and PSN games will play no problem because they're feeding off the HDD...It means nothing to do that.

Man, that sucks.

I'm going to call a few places tomorrow to see if any of them have the cleaning disc (worth the shot) or are willing to test a replacement on this PS3, just to make sure. Either way I guess it's time to order a new lens from eBay.

And you know what, I'm going to abuse the hell out of the next one. Treating this one like a pussy wasn't good enough.

Zep

Banned
Massa said:
Man, that sucks.

I'm going to call a few places tomorrow to see if any of them have the cleaning disc (worth the shot) or are willing to test a replacement on this PS3, just to make sure. Either way I guess it's time to order a new lens from eBay.

And you know what, I'm going to abuse the hell out of the next one. Treating this one like a pussy wasn't good enough.

Do you know exactly what you're looking for? Lens wise?

Beowulf28

Just turned on my PS3 and green lines appear on screen during the start up and I can't do anything. Is this a known issue and is there a way to fix it without sending it to sony?

carlos

So now my second launch 60gb PS3 died, I was downloading some demos, go eat something, and when I come back, the machine is completely OFF, with no standby light

So I changed the power supply from my other YLOD ps3, and still, it gets no standby light or anything....

I'm guessing the only other cause could be the small ps3 power switch? you know, the one that sticks out the back?

I'll try to exchange those tomorrow and see what happens....I used to grief Microsoft a lot for the RLOD, but my 360 is still going strong, and 2 well taken care of ps3's are dead for no reason....

Man screw this current gen hardware :(

Beowulf28

Beowulf28 said:
Just turned on my PS3 and green lines appear on screen during the start up and I can't do anything. Is this a known issue and is there a way to fix it without sending it to sony?
Anybody?

Massa

Zep said:
Do you know exactly what you're looking for? Lens wise?

I know there are different models for different drives. My PS3 is a CECHG01.

I'm thinking about opening it up to clean the lens. Some games work perfectly while others fail in the exact same way every time.

hirokazu

Massa said:
I've had this system for two years. I don't play BD or DVD movies on it (ironically, to save the BD lens). I don't rent games and don't buy used either, all games that go into this system are new and have always been handled correctly by myself (no fingerprints on them, I'm obsessively careful with that stuff).

There's a lot of dust here so I'm inclined to try this Maxell cleaner:

ref=dp_image_0

Anyone's tried it? I'm considering importing it, it would cost me $40 with Express shipping or $30 if I'm willing to wait a month like I normally do when buying games. It would suck to waste $40 so I'm here looking for opinions. :-|

I'm going to try some PSN games and demos to confirm whether the problem is with the BD lens.
I've tried the lens cleaner. It may work if dirt is the problem. It wasn't for me, so it didn't do anything. I only got it for around $20US including shipping off eBay, so it wasn't that big a waste if it could be used to clean lens in the future.

I don't know if that lens cleaner actually works anyhow, there's testimonials from people who claim it works and then people who had dead lasers saying it didn't, but I wish someone could conduct a proper scientific test on it.

hirokazu

Noisepurge said:
Statistics from the playstation forums read a grim tale ;D

tumblr_kvx5qiHyWE1qz4e3zo1_400.jpg
Ouch.

I wish people who tried to collect meaningful data grouped it by model number though, that'd give a much clearer picture of things. Hard drive capacity just seems rough given that different hardware revisions have had the same hard drive capacity and some revisions have come with different drive capacities.

Massa said:
Tried to play Bioshock 1 and it installed the 5Gb fine but then froze on the first cutscene of the game. Shit.
Can you still access the XMB when the game freezes?

netguy503

carlos said:
I'm guessing the only other cause could be the small ps3 power switch? you know, the one that sticks out the back?

2 well taken care of ps3's are dead for no reason....

Man screw this current gen hardware :(

If you turned it off from the back then it didn't die for "no reason". SEVERAL people have warned not to turn your console off from the back. It takes away too much power. That is why the slims don't even have a power switch in the back.

regs

YagizY said:
Anyone have any ideas?

My friends motorstorm unit died, YLOD after he had already sent it in to fix the Blu-Ray drive. I was out of town for a few months and when I came back I asked if he fixed it, he said "oh yea i fixed it" meaning he shot it with a rifle :lol

I told him I would have bought it off him because it was a BC unit and people still pay good money for those broke, he got pissed and now hates sony.

Also, for what it's worth he is a hardcore smoker, he went through 5 or 6 PS2's total if I recall correctly so that may have something to do with it.

Mandoric

Banned
ChuBoi said:
So I lent my 11 yr old cousin my 60Gb BC PS3 since I've been busy w/ MW2 and ME2. Dumb idea, I know, but for some reason he's a HUGE Sony fanboy but his parents say its too expensive. (PS It's scary to see fanboyism start so young. I asked him why he doesn't want a 360, which had an incredible $230CDN Elite boxing day sale in Canada, and his only valid point was "because I want a PS3" :lol He has a Walmart PS3 Slim ad taped to his wall over his bed :lol :lol ).

I get the PS3 back, and for some (dumb) reason he decided to put a Gamecube-sized disc in the PS3 to see what would happen, and it gets stuck. Soo..

Don't take it too hard on the poor kid, the drive's designed to be able to take 8cm discs. I play CD singles in mine from time to time, and I've never had trouble. If you've put in other discs on top of it, it may have done more damage to the drive, though.

The torx bits with a hole for the pin are called security torx. You should be able to find them at most hardware stores.

netguy503

regs said:
Also, for what it's worth he is a hardcore smoker, he went through 5 or 6 PS2's total if I recall correctly so that may have something to do with it.

Your friend is still an idiot. Why not make money off a dead system? Also, smoking doesn't make you mentally deranged.

netguy503

Mandoric said:
Don't take it too hard on the poor kid,

Well he is not the parent of the kid so I doubt he could do/say anything actually without straining relationships in his family. He has just learned a valuable life lesson is all.

fallagin

Just recently I was playing Killzone 2 and for some reason the game turned from colored to black and white completely. At first I thought it was just a glitch of the loss of color that happens when you get shot, but I went out of the game and into the xmb and it didn't go away. I thought my console was a goner or something but it turns out it was my component cables, they were cyclone I think, and kind of expensive but I guess it could have been worse. I'm glad my ps3 is alright. For now I will play with just composite cables.

Mandoric

Banned
netguy503 said:
Well he is not the parent of the kid so I doubt he could do/say anything actually without straining relationships in his family. He has just learned a valuable life lesson is all.

Well, I don't see him ever getting to borrow a game again, for starters. :lol Just sucks to be angry at someone for putting a disc in the console that the manual says it plays.

netguy503

Mandoric said:
Well, I don't see him ever getting to borrow a game again, for starters. :lol Just sucks to be angry at someone for putting a disc in the console that the manual says it plays.

Do you know the size of a Gamecube disc? It's WAY smaller than a CD. No, I don't think the manual says it can read those.

Cornbread78

fallagin said:
Just recently I was playing Killzone 2 and for some reason the game turned from colored to black and white completely. At first I thought it was just a glitch of the loss of color that happens when you get shot, but I went out of the game and into the xmb and it didn't go away. I thought my console was a goner or something but it turns out it was my component cables, they were cyclone I think, and kind of expensive but I guess it could have been worse. I'm glad my ps3 is alright. For now I will play with just composite cables.

Go with teh Sont HDMI Cables. Game looks unbelievable!

Cornbread78

regs said:
My friends motorstorm unit died, YLOD after he had already sent it in to fix the Blu-Ray drive. I was out of town for a few months and when I came back I asked if he fixed it, he said "oh yea i fixed it" meaning he shot it with a rifle :lol

I told him I would have bought it off him because it was a BC unit and people still pay good money for those broke, he got pissed and now hates sony.

Wow, kid needs some anger management.... He just blew himself a hundred or two bucks off selling it for parts.....

besides that. Smoking in the same room of the system definately effects the system. the smoke (regardless what kind) leaves a ersidue on everything. It actually makes the system have a hard time to "breath" and can slow down the fan and componants, makes them work harder and causes the system to overheat eventually...

Beowulf28

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Sounds like your GPU is on its way out.... Try doing the 'video reset' trick by holding down the power button. If none of that works, your GPU is done for...sorry.
So nothing I can do? Reflow the motherboard maybe?

netguy503

Beowulf28 said:
So nothing I can do? Reflow the motherboard maybe?

Yes but know that reflowing can be tricky and you don't know how long a reflow will last. I say: reflow, deactivate your account, backup your saves, and then sell it and use that money toward an upgrade.

fallagin

netguy503 said:
I can't imagine playing next-gen games on anything but HDMI. Do you have a TV from the 80's?

Its one of the older 1080i tvs. It works well enough, just has some limitations. Its a pretty big crt tv so it is pretty nice, though very hard to move.

Mandoric

Banned
netguy503 said:
Do you know the size of a Gamecube disc? It's WAY smaller than a CD. No, I don't think the manual says it can read those.

If my phone's battery wasn't dead, I could snap you a picture of an 8cm CD single--the exact same size as a Gamecube disc, and he said "Gamecube-sized disc" rather than "Gamecube disc" anyway--poking out of the front of my PS3, followed by another one of it playing back fine.
Unfortunately, it is, so I'm going to have to link to Gamepro's scans of the manual instead. Your crow is somewhere near the end in the "playable discs" section, bon appetit. :lol

Beowulf28

netguy503 said:
Yes but know that reflowing can be tricky and you don't know how long a reflow will last. I say: reflow, deactivate your account, backup your saves, and then sell it and use that money toward an upgrade.
Yeah I guess I'll do that. How good are the slims, reliability wise?

Top Bottom