• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

YagizY

Is there a way just to back up saves and not all the additional content? I want to back stuff up but it says it's going to back up 45gb of content. Does it back up installed games, PSN titles, and videos on your PS3 as well? I just want to back up the saves. I can dl or install all of that stuff later if I get another system.

carlos

YagizY said:
Is there a way just to back up saves and not all the additional content? I want to back stuff up but it says it's going to back up 45gb of content. Does it back up installed games, PSN titles, and videos on your PS3 as well? I just want to back up the saves. I can dl or install all of that stuff later if I get another system.

Just use an sd card or usb device and go to your saved data folder; you can copy the saves manually, and it really isn't much of a hassle. i had quite a few from multiple accounts and it was done in less than 10 minutes. (this does not apply to locked saves)

And now another matter: Gentlemen, I could really use your help here:

Long story short, my Ps3 shut down while downloading a demo and the standby light went out. No matter what I do, different cables, let it cool down, the standby light just won't come back on again.

Easy answer: its the power supply right? Wrong

I opened it up, switched the power supply, with a working one from my other ylod ps3, and also switched the little power switch on the back as well and the power cable. I tried different combinations to see if I pinpoint which component was the problem.

But NO, No matter what I did, The ps3 just won't power on at all, no standby light, no nothing :(

I'm out of ideas, can I have any suggestions from you fine folks?

Foil

carlos said:
And now another matter: Gentlemen, I could really use your help here:

Long story short, my Ps3 shut down while downloading a demo and the standby light went out. No matter what I do, different cables, let it cool down, the standby light just won't come back on again.

Easy answer: its the power supply right? Wrong

I opened it up, switched the power supply, with a working one from my other ylod ps3, and also switched the little power switch on the back as well and the power cable. I tried different combinations to see if I pinpoint which component was the problem.

But NO, No matter what I did, The ps3 just won't power on at all, no standby light, no nothing :(

I'm out of ideas, can I have any suggestions from you fine folks?

Exact same thing just happened to my 60GB PS3. Shut off during Bad Company 2 and never went back on. No red light or anything now.

YagizY

carlos said:
Just use an sd card or usb device and go to your saved data folder; you can copy the saves manually, and it really isn't much of a hassle. i had quite a few from multiple accounts and it was done in less than 10 minutes. (this does not apply to locked saves)

This works with protected saves too?

carlos

YagizY said:
This works with protected saves too?

no, for protected saves you have to use the backup utility that came with 3.15, the ps3 to ps3 ethernet connection... I don't know more about the details, maybe someone else can help you out with that.

and as for my problem, if ANYONE can share any info or ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it; I'll probably send it to a third party repair soon and see if they can revive it :(

Oh and Foil, mine shut down while downloading the bad company demo.... conspiracy?! ;)

thorin

I think my PS3 is dying (80 gig I think - bought a few months after launch)

Lately when playing for about an hour or so the fan will get REALLY loud and when I turn off the system it beeps 3 times. I tried vacuuming the vents but the same thing still happens.

Am I fucked? Are these symptoms familiar to anyone? :(

DonMigs85

An officemate of mine got his console banned because of a fraudulent game share account. Sony doesn't seem to want to help or let him pay off the debt, so he wants to know if using the PS3-to-PS3 transfer will get around this (he plans to buy a slim).

Jaroof

thorin said:
I think my PS3 is dying (80 gig I think - bought a few months after launch)

Lately when playing for about an hour or so the fan will get REALLY loud and when I turn off the system it beeps 3 times. I tried vacuuming the vents but the same thing still happens.

My PS3 (60gig) had the same symptoms and it died Friday..
Mine had been doing that for about 4-5 months before it finally died.

edbrat

I am v sad to say they are identical to mine and its just crapped out on me completely, about 10 mins ago having done what you said for a week or so. Then tonight it turned off followed by blinking red light which went on for ages, now any attempt to turn it on gives me momentary yellow light followed by blinking red light, can't even get my HR disc out the console :(

I had just made a traumatic decision in Heavy Rain and as my character was suffering the consequences in a VERY intense scene, it died, was really quite a traumatic moment. Pain was heightened when I realised how many hours of Heavy Rain I will have to replay to get to that point, and if I make different decisions maybe I never will, damn it!

Its a 60GB launch unit, if I pay Sony will I get the same one back (UK-er here)?

damnit I was just getting into Heavy Rain this is a little frustrating :(

thorin

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Looks like I have time to backup my stuff before it kicks the bucket.

Guess my luck had to run out sometime. I've never had a console die on me before.

No_Style

8001050F error code on my 60GB PS3. I can navigate the XMB, but can't sign into PSN. Grrr.

Backing up saves now.

Edit: Checked other stuff, I can actually launch things. Just can't sign onto PSN...

kiun

No_Style said:
8001050F error code on my 60GB PS3. I can navigate the XMB, but can't launch anything. Grrr.

Backing up saves now.

I think this is a problem on Sony's end. I have the same error code happening the my PS3 today as well. The official Sony forum is broken for me too.

mackaveli

kiun said:
I think this is a problem on Sony's end. I have the same error code happening the my PS3 today as well. The official Sony forum is broken for me too.

yeah got the same message.

i think everyone i've talked to has this msg as well.

it better be on sonys end.

that error code means hardware failure.

kiun

mackaveli said:
yeah got the same message.

i think everyone i've talked to has this msg as well.

it better be on sonys end.

Yea I almost had a panic attack when I looked up that error code online.

No_Style

mackaveli said:

That's what's freaking me out. I noticed that my theme wasn't loading and went to check and it said it was "corrupted data"

My bro's PS3 is fine though.. Hmm.

mackaveli

No_Style said:
That's what's freaking me out. I noticed that my theme wasn't loading and went to check and it said it was "corrupted data"

My bro's PS3 is fine though.. Hmm.

his ps3 a slim

my bro's slim is fine.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm relieved it wasn't just me getting the error code. Thought I had to send my system in. It's never given me any serious issues. That same error code is coming up for me. I'm unble to connect to pan.

So what now? Just wait it out?

After having my PS3 actually die around this time last year, getting the error code worried me a bit (until I found out it's not just me). Here's hoping a fix comes in soon, I can't play even with the cable disconnected.

Ok so I'm concerned my PS3 is dying.

Last time I shut it off I did so without actually looking at the visual. IIRC I quit Assassin's Creed II and left it on for awhile, put the disc away (ejected it) without switching inputs to what my PS3 is on (assuming I had quit the game) and then shut if off by holding the front button down much later that night (again without switching to the PS3 input on my TV).

I go turn it on today and watch a TV show I had downloaded in the past, then notice my background theme is gone. I go to THEME and almost all of them read as Corrupted Data. If I click on it I just get brought back to the theme page.

I try to boot up Assassin's Creed II but when it searches for trophies it gives me an error and tosses me back to the XMB. I check my trophies and Assassin's Creed II is gone, I also cannot sync trophies because I cannot log onto PSN(when I try to it says I get disconnected despite ever actually connected, I know I'm getting some response from PSN because it does tell me if my password is wrong).

I reset system settings but its all the same.

Anyone have any suggestions? Going to go try another game now to see what happens. I see others have gotten PSN issues today so I am hoping that I'm just experiencing two separate issues and once PSN is back up I can just re download any corrupted themes (I can delete them) and Assassin's Creed trophies will fix themselves once I can connect to PSN.

EDIT: Registration of trophy error with Heavy Rain, same as Assassin's Creed, now my Heavy Rain trophies are gone... they were just there.

Whats up with this?

Blizzje

My launch 60gig PAL PS3 is finally going to croak, I think. Since a couple of weeks ago, I've had two problems I haven't been able to solve yet.

First problem concerns a black screen I get. Totally random. I could be playing for 6 hours or I could be playing for only 30 minutes. It happens when I'm in the XMB and when I'm playing games. I've switched HDMI cables but that doesn't help in any way. Other HDMI devices I use work fine :( TV is a Sony Bravia 32" 1080p.

Second problem is the noise the bluray drive is starting to make. I can't even describe the sound. It doesn't sound scratchy but there's definitely something wrong there.

Problem 1 is probably my number one concern right now 'cause I noticed it's starting to happen more frequently.

My 60 gig launch unit boots fine and runs games off the hard drive no problem, but it won't recognize blu rays or any other discs at all. They don't even show up on the xmb or anything. It's been like this for months but I haven't had time to bother with it so I've just been ignoring it.

I remember reading that I could do some kind of system wipe with the hopes that it would fix it but I can't find anything on it with gaf search down. Any info would be appreciated.

And yes, I did do a hard shutdown right before it broke - it froze totally during Valkyria Chronicles and wouldn't reset with the soft buttons so I shut the power off.

Edit: Also there's no way I'm sending it to sony if I have to pay repairs. I'd just buy a slim though I'm hoping theres an easy fix.

Did a system restore with a full format but it didn't help. :(

The blue light on the console lights up showing that it recognizes a disc is inside but it never shows up on the xmb.

DonMigs85

dallow_bg said:
YLOD

Rest in peace, launch day 20GB unit.

Heavy Rain did him in.

11/17/2006 - 3/6/2010
My cousin did a reflow on his YLOD 20GB unit almost a year ago and sold it cheap then bought a 160GB Fat. The buyer says it's still working right now, though it's unlikely to be a permanent fix.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, ReRo. :(
DonMigs85 said:
My cousin did a reflow on his YLOD 20GB unit almost a year ago and sold it cheap then bought a 160GB Fat. The buyer says it's still working right now, though it's unlikely to be a permanent fix.
Yeah, reflow was going to be my next course of action. Thanks!

I wonder how long a PS3 has gone on living after getting a proper YLOD fix, anyone know?

Everytime I see this thread I think about my brothers OG 20 gig that I sold him on launch day, the thing is a damn beast and still going strong mean while I had two 40 gig fats break and one slim, I regret selling him the OG.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Man...my luck sucks ass, my first ps3 first got affected with a defective laser, making it unable to read any disc. I sent it, and got fixed, 6 months later it gets YLOD. Now I replaced that one with a Slim last year and it was wonderful..until today it suddenly decided not to read discs, put in Rock Band 2 and it kicks me out of the game back to the main menu saying its an error code 80010514. I turned it off for 5 minutes and try again and it works again, but I'm worried, am I fucked in the ass yet again? =(

When I put on my disc, once it was inside it made the same noise the ps3 makes when its swallowing up a disc but the disc was already inside so it made the sound when it sucked in the disc and it did the same noise again once it was inside. Sorry I know there's a lot of spelling errors and shit but I'm extremely pissed right now, can't believe the ps3 might die on me just when FFXIII it's right around the corner.

Hixx

OK gonna ring Sony later today to get my YLoD'd console replaced or whatever. They said one the phone when I initially rang (to be put off by £131 fee...) that they would do a straight swap, ie send out a 60gig refurb and I would send the deaderised console back with the delivery fella which sounds fair enough.

Is there any chance I can get them to swap for a Slim instead? Would miss the 60gig but would hugely prefer a bigger HDD and peace of mind, all 3 of my mates with 60gig consoles have had them YLoD now and moved onto Slims due to the appalling 3 month warranty on the refurbs. Anyone with experience of Sony's repair stuff in the UK any idea?

And Pancho sounds like your laser is fucked. The amount of PlayStation 1/2's I've had that had shitted out on me cos of DRE/laser problems... :(

YoungHav

Banned
Used Gilksy's vids and was able to resurrect my 80GB (took me 5hrs). Got a chance to transfer all my copy protected crap to the new slim. PS3 YLOD'd again 3 days later. Had a feeling it'd YLOD soon afterwards, I was a bit careless and got thermal compound on the motherboard.

DEO3

I wasn't happy with having my PS3 on wireless (streaming HD video would often stutter and occasionally just hang there until I got an error message), so I bought a 75ft ethernet cable which I ran from my router, up the inside of the wall, through the attic, down to my PS3 - and after connecting the cable, I find my PS3 won't turn on properly. The console will turn on for a split second, then beep three times at me, with the light quickly changing from red, to green, to yellow, before blinking red continuously.

I've tried disconnecting/connecting the ethernet cable multiple times and it changes nothing. The manual simply states that if the console is blinking red then it's an overheating issue, but I was browsing the PSN Store just prior to turning my console off to plug in the cable and everything was fine.

Am I fucked? And if so, uh, why? The console is still under warranty, but I'm worried about going through all the trouble of getting it repaired only to have the same thing happen when I plug the ethernet cable into a repaired unit.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DEO3 said:
The console will turn on for a split second, then beep three times at me, with the light quickly changing from red, to green, to yellow, before blinking red continuously.
Irrelevant to the cable, imo.

You've got a YLOD, I'm sorry.

expy

Banned
DEO3 said:
I wasn't happy with having my PS3 on wireless (streaming HD video would often stutter and occasionally just hang there until I got an error message), so I bought a 75ft ethernet cable which I ran from my router, up the inside of the wall, through the attic, down to my PS3 - and after connecting the cable, I find my PS3 won't turn on properly. The console will turn on for a split second, then beep three times at me, with the light quickly changing from red, to green, to yellow, before blinking red continuously.

I've tried disconnecting/connecting the ethernet cable multiple times and it changes nothing. The manual simply states that if the console is blinking red then it's an overheating issue, but I was browsing the PSN Store just prior to turning my console off to plug in the cable and everything was fine.

Am I fucked? And if so, uh, why? The console is still under warranty, but I'm worried about going through all the trouble of getting it repaired only to have the same thing happen when I plug the ethernet cable into a repaired unit.
Just send it in for repairs under warranty.And if it keeps doing it even when u get it back, then it's clearly not repaired (thus you should get it repaired free of charge again). Should come back working fine though.

DEO3

Well, I just fixed my 'yellow light of death' - by taking out the hard drive, blowing into the PS3 like it was an old NES cartridge, and plugging the hard drive back in. No idea if just picking up the PS3 and moving it around fixed the problem or if there was indeed some kind of faulty connection between the hard drive and the console, but it works now, so, whatever.

Strike

Well, after getting back a refurb in january (which I spcifically asked them not to send), my beloved 60gb fat just flat out died on me without warning. I just got on spring break too. :'(

junker

You have to to be fucking shitting me. Goddamnit.

I have the three beeps thing. PS3 won't turn on.

The week before GoW.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
junker said:
You have to to be fucking shitting me. Goddamnit.

I have the three beeps thing. PS3 won't turn on.

The week before GoW.

So sorry my friend....sounds like YLOD. Happened to my launch unit last year. I'm rolling with a Slim these days.

junker

Stupid me never back up my data. It was a 60GB from 2007 and the first console I've ever had fail on me.

Not only that, PS3s are hard to find at the moment. At least in this thread we can cry on each others shoulders.

Flunkie

Banned
Copy/paste from here.
Got a sticky situation on my hands here..

Alright, so - rewind to one week ago. My launch PS3 dies.. "overheating issues" (blinking red light). Waited a week, contemplating what to do - send it in to Sony for that above-$150 figure, or for nearly double the price, get myself a brand new, spiffy Slim.

Well, today I picked up a Slim. I was excited, everyone knows the drill with new technology. So, I proceed to take out my hard drive and insert my old 320GB from my phatty launch PS3. Well, upon turning it on, I was greeted by a nice message that told me that I've got to update my PS3 before doing anything. So, I put the "new" 120GB hard drive that came with the Slim back in and booted it up, got everything running smoothly, and put my old one back in thinking it might work. Nope. So I grabbed a USB thumbdrive and tried to update that way. Here came the hangup - if I updated on the 320GB hard drive, it would format and lose everything that I was attempting to salvage. See, I haven't backed up my PS3 in ages.. so I don't know exactly what to do.

Short version:

Did not officially back up my hard drive from old PS3. Want to keep all my files from old PS3 hard drive to use on new PS3.

Help?

carlos

To backup your old stuff, you HAVE to revive your dead PS3 (idiotic on sony's part, especially since they usually don't give you back your own ps3/data when you send it in to them for repairs).

google "ps3 gilksy fix", spend about $30 on materials, open up the ps3, fix it, and there's a good chance that it will turn on long enough for you to connect your slim to the old one via ethernet and be able to backup everything.

be thankful that the problem is the YLOD, since that at least gives you a chance to get it working again; I wasn't so lucky, since apparently my motherboard got fried for no apparent reason and I'll never be seeing that data again...

junker

Picked up a Slim today. Very bittersweet. I really shouldn't have made a $300 impulse buy but come on, God of War!

4 years of game saves down the drain is a tough pill to swallow though.

RS4-

FF13 blew my ps3 up. YLOD.

Gonna do the Gilksy fix and see what happens. About the ps3-to-ps3 backup, that'll backup everything? User profiles/info and such right?

junker

Would it be possible to put the dead PS3's hard drive into a SATA enclosure, copy my saves to my PC, then copy to the new PS3? It seems too easy which is why I doubt it's possible.

carlos

RS4-, yes, the ps3 to ps3 ethernet backup that came with firmware 3.15 will save everything; though once it finishes, it will deactivate (not erase) the original ps3, or so I've heard.

Junker, no, the PC will not be able to read sony's proprietary file system and back it up there, unfortunately. I really recommend at least trying to fix it yourself if you don't plan on sending it to sony. At the very least it would give you a chance of recovering your saves, as well as deactivating the system.

good luck to you both

Top Bottom