• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

andycapps

Slavik81 said:
Heh. I bet I'm the only person here who's had to replace their PS3 more times than their 360.
I'm on my 3rd PS3. I bought a 60GB bundled with MotorStorm and returned the bundle for a new PS3/MotorStorm combination TWICE before it would play the game.

Huh? Yes, I believe you've got the worst luck ever. Hope things improve for you! :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Slavik81 said:
Heh. I bet I'm the only person here who's had to replace their PS3 more times than their 360.
I'm on my 3rd PS3. I bought a 60GB bundled with MotorStorm and returned the bundle for a new PS3/MotorStorm combination TWICE before it would play the game.

At least with bad PS3s, they come out of the box that way and it's pretty obvious in the first couple weeks. Sorry about your luck.

dalin80

Banned
my pal 60gb purchased on the 27/08/07 has unexpectedly died this evening.

was working perfectly then splat just a flashing red light of doom.

now to see how this works out tomorrow.

:sigh:

gonna be a pants xmas.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Slavik81 said:

wanna come to my poker games :D

dalin80

Banned
phoned sony at 1:15 yesterday, was told a replacement will be sent this morning.

if true that is superb, nice guy on the phone as well.

Trevelyon

Ok, so......... here's the story.

Copied a movie file to the HDD, watched about 10 minutes in, got a msg indicating that 'file could not be played'. Ok, weird... so I hit circle to get out of the message, nothing happening, well then I'll just turn off the system, hit the PS button "Turn off System".

Light flickers for a few seconds as per usual waiting to turn red, but the system isn't shutting down at all. Must've waited for at least an hour or more, until I had no choice but to switch if off from the back. Now here's the part where I am shitting bricks, on power-up HDD is corrupt (Shit!) so I have to restore it, once that's done it takes me back to the boot up screen (Ok... cool) and then BAM it completely locks up on the SCE sign.

Nothing I can do can prompt it back into life or advance to the user account menu, it doesn't turn off by hitting the power button on the front, so again it's gotta be turned off from the back. But again, I'm asked to restore the HDD and the problem repeats again & so I repeated process at least twice more before realizing that it's probably totally fucked.

Trevelyon

dalin80 said:
phoned sony at 1:15 yesterday, was told a replacement will be sent this morning.

Are you Australian by any chance? I presume everything worked out fine?

Need something to lift my spirits here.

jett

D-Member
Yea dude, never turn it off by unplugging it from the back. When it doesn't want to power off and lights keep flicking, just press on the power button again, it'll turn off.

DeadGzuz

Banned
dalin80 said:

Well they are kind of bored sitting and waiting for calls. Maybe MS should outsource to Sony for some customer service and manufacturing?

Trevelyon

It never responded, I tried powering it down like that repeatedly over that time period when it was flashing. Googling "PS3 Corrupt Hard Disk" clearly indicates that it was totally screwed no matter what.

Now I'm racking my brain trying to find this warranty slip, I keep all my console manuals, ect. in their original boxes, but I cannot find this thing anywhere. I have the original receipt SURELY that's enough, it's proof of purchase and date of purchase, which was back June last year, and the warranty extends for 12 months, right.

That should be OK.

EDIT: Well, shit it hasn't even been out here 12 months yet, now that I think of it. So it's not like they can take issue with having no warrantly slip.

so1337

So I bought some old Xbox and PS2-games and tried them out on both the 360 and the PS3. Thing is, when I inserted Silent Hill 2 the drive couldn't read the disc. It simply made some strange noises so I ejected the game. Didn't want that thing to break after all. I checked if there were any scratches on the disc but it looked fine to me. I put it in again and it still didn't work. Well, shit.

I tried some other DVD's and Blu-Rays but none of them seem to work, in fact there's a movie in the system and I can't get it out.

Fuck!

Edit: Oh shit I thought this was the xbox one. My bad. This is still a good read tho even tho its off topic. If a mod sees this and still doesn't like it, please feel free to edit my post.

I checked to see if this site was a banned site on the FAQ, wasn't there, but if this is banned, then someone needs to update the FAQ thread. I don't see any problem with the site, but anyways onto why I came in.

Heres a poll of 3500 CAG's and their experiences with 360 hardware and its absolutely stunning and shocking.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175137

Chrange

Banned
I had one replaced/repaired because the HDMI port stopped working. A friend had his repaired for something wrong with the fan, it would kick into high gear and stay there until shut off - never overheated, though, even if he left it going for hours.

About 2 months ago my PS3's blu ray drive stopped reading any hi-def media. I didn't buy any games so I couldn't test out ps3 games, but all of my blu ray dvds never got recognized (I own over 20, tried about 7 or 8) while the dvds and ps2 games did.

While I did get a replacement in about two weeks, the means of replacing it were really annoying. They made you pack up your controller, charge cable, electrical cable and the useless composite cables as well as the even more useless ethernet cord that was included in the original box. I'm assuming that I'm like most people and don't have enough space to keep the original box with all the cables in it, so the ethernet and composite cables took me forever to find.

Yeah...so I survived to tell about it.

so1337

LightningZero5 said:
While I did get a replacement in about two weeks, the means of replacing it were really annoying. They made you pack up your controller, charge cable, electrical cable and the useless composite cables as well as the even more useless ethernet cord that was included in the original box. I'm assuming that I'm like most people and don't have enough space to keep the original box with all the cables in it, so the ethernet and composite cables took me forever to find.
Oh, crap. I threw the useless stuff away. :/

My6cats

Banned
PLEASE don't tell me the PS3 storys of the system is having problems. I just bought one and could not get a best buy plan like my 360. I already had to use the bust buy plan for my 360. I was feeling safe with my PS3. I am happy that my system is working great.

tanod

when is my burrito
My6cats said:
PLEASE don't tell me the PS3 storys of the system is having problems. I just bought one and could not get a best buy plan like my 360. I already had to use the bust buy plan for my 360. I was feeling safe with my PS3. I am happy that my system is working great.

Judging that the systems been out for over 16 months and this is a 5 and a half page thread, 2 of which is the OP's experience, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

clav

LightningZero5 said:
About 2 months ago my PS3's blu ray drive stopped reading any hi-def media. I didn't buy any games so I couldn't test out ps3 games, but all of my blu ray dvds never got recognized (I own over 20, tried about 7 or 8) while the dvds and ps2 games did.

Yeah...so I survived to tell about it.
That sucks. Did you get a PS3 with the same model (PS2 BC/HD Space) back?

YYZ

Ok, it sucks ass that I have to post in this thread.

I have a launch unit (20GB) and it has started crapping out recently (like last week). Folklore freezes in the same spot every time (brand new game), Dynasty Warriors 6 does the same, and DMC4 has fucked up textures (jagged, warped and pointy textures, indicative of a GPU problem like overheating). My PS3 is ventilated and everything.

I'm going to exchange this one for an 80GB bundle with MGS4 when it comes out (3 year warranty with Futureshop so they better not give me shit about it). I fucking hate to lose the all-black unit which is awesome and it has full BC too. But I'll be honest, I hardly ever play PS2 games anyway.

I don't think I should have used Folding@Home so much. I have a combined score of 290K (between two names) which is good for 9th spot.

toneroni

My PS3 freezes during devil may cry 4 like after a while. Every other game runs well though. Is this common with DMC4? The disc looks nice and clean.

dalin80

Banned
Trevelyon said:
Are you Australian by any chance? I presume everything worked out fine?

Need something to lift my spirits here.

Sorry mate UK'er

Well my reply is a few months late sorry about that.

Got a knock on the door less then 24h after phoning sony, pleasant guy holding a new ps3 in a sealed box. Cant fault them for that.

HaloFans said:
That sucks. Did you get a PS3 with the same model (PS2 BC/HD Space) back?

Oh yeah. Mine was a 60 gig from July 2007, and they promised to send me a 60 gig back. While I did get a 60 gig back, it was a way older January 2007 model as well as a used controller. I never owned/played any games for the ps3, so the controller I sent in was pretty much spotless. I obviously lost all my saves, movies, files, and settings. I only had a flash drive to back up my ps2 saves with.

MrKyle

I also have had to replace my PS3 more than my XBOX360. :( Two months after purchasing my PS3 the Blu-Ray drive stopped reading all discs (80gb model). My xbox is a newer falcon model and haven't had any problems at all with it. I've had them both about the same amount of time.

I'm a little disappointed in the controller I got sent with my replacement PS3. I received it in a rather grimey condition, and the controller will "freeze" causing my CoD4 character to spin around for ~30 seconds randomly. I tried resetting the controller, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this problem with the sixaxis?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My PS3 isn't dead (again) yet but I sure have been having some annoying issues with it lately.

Twice this week now the contoller has messed up with all four flashing lights and being totally unresponsive. Today it happened again I had turned the controller off and left the system idle for a little bit while I had dinner. I come back deciding to watch a video so I figured I'd just keep the controller off and use my blu-ray remote. NO. That was totally unresponsive so I turned the controller on and got the flashing lights of doom. Of course the eject and power on/off buttons on the system itself don't work either! Only thing that does is the keyboard of all things. Anyone know what if anything equates to the Triangle button on a keyboard so I can eject my disc before forcefully shutting down the system?

This has happened a number of times in the last month and its so annoying! The other annoying problem is it seems to take longer and longer to actually do anything after coming out of the web browser. -_-; Do I need to clear out the browser history or something?

Surfheart

It's a pretty good indication of the quality of the PS3 that there are posts on this page from last year. It's a damn fine piece of gear.

NolbertoS

I got a question for the peeps who had their 60GB PS3's broken down on them recently?? I bough the BB warranty about 1 year ago, but how does it work, if my 60GB for whatever reasons, breaks down *knock on wood* on me, will BB replace my 60GB with another one?? as I don't want a 40 or 80GB or am I SOL??

Synless

Rapping Granny said:
mine sometimes frezzes on the web browser whenever a flash or java things shows up.
Mine freezes on the web browser sometimes as well, I think it's just the browser itself.

NolbertoS said:
I got a question for the peeps who had their 60GB PS3's broken down on them recently?? I bough the BB warranty about 1 year ago, but how does it work, if my 60GB for whatever reasons, breaks down *knock on wood* on me, will BB replace my 60GB with another one?? as I don't want a 40 or 80GB or am I SOL??

SOL, they can't replace something that they don't sell any more. Take the 80, it's fiiiine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
NolbertoS said:

You're pretty well fucked. They'll give you an 80GB or you can choose a 40GB and get the difference back in store credit.

Edit: Beaten.

YYZ

I'm replacing my 20GB with the 80GB in the MGS4 bundle. I can still play games, but my PS3 is undeniably broken now (video card) so it will suck playing GTA4 with some gimped graphics. I could take a video to show how annoying it is, but I'm too lazy.

N3al

My 60 gb ps3 didn't 'die', it was just louder than usual, everything else was pretty much ok.

Sony replaced it with new 60 gig. i am happy :)

lynux3

N3al said:
My 60 gb ps3 didn't 'die', it was just louder than usual, everything else was pretty much ok.

Sony replaced it with new 60 gig. i am happy :)

Mine is sometimes louder than usual... is it a brand new 60GB (with backwards compatibility and all) or a refurbished?

How did you go about getting a new one? Just call 'em and tell 'em?

N3al

lynux3 said:
Mine is sometimes louder than usual... is it a brand new 60GB (with backwards compatibility and all) or a refurbished?

How did you go about getting a new one? Just call 'em and tell 'em?
It is brand new 60 gig euro model. like my old one.

I just told them that it is louder than it used to be, and it was not just the fans, there was another sound that i couldn't tell where it is coming from.

Sean

Banned
Mine just died tonight I think.

BD drive made a loud grinding noise, and now no media (BD/CD/DVD/PS3 games) loads at all. It displays the little loading icon in the upper right corner for like ten minutes, nothing ever happens.

I hope this is not a problem cause by firmware 2.2

Sigh...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sean said:
Mine just died tonight I think.

BD drive made a loud grinding noise, and now no media (BD/CD/DVD/PS3 games) loads at all. It displays the little loading icon in the upper right corner for like ten minutes, nothing ever happens.

I hope this is not a problem cause by firmware 2.2

Sigh...

afaik, firmware doesn't cause it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sean said:
I didn't think it was a firmware issue at first until I read this post. Seems like it's happening to others too after updating. Could be a big coincidence though.

Weird. Mine's fine :O Luckily you're still under warranty, I'm not :/

christ, I could give a rats ass if and when my 360 goes...infact I have been pre-emptively replacing them before they go BUT if I lost my 60 gig !!! makes ma stomach turn

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HallucinatingElvis said:
christ, I could give a rats ass if and when my 360 goes...infact I have been pre-emptively replacing them before they go BUT if I lost my 60 gig !!! makes ma stomach turn

Well, you would get a 60GB back if you're still under warranty if you did have to send it in.

Sean

Banned
Kagari said:
Weird. Mine's fine :O Luckily you're still under warranty, I'm not :/

Curious, do you know how long the repair process usually takes with Sony? Hopefully they're able to replace it ASAP.

I just got a new HDTV today and wanted to give it a bit of a workout and make sure its worth it before the 30 day return period is up, then this has to happen to me. I've got the worst luck ever :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sean said:
Curious, do you know how long the repair process usually takes with Sony? Hopefully they're able to replace it ASAP.

I just got a new HDTV today and wanted to give it a bit of a workout and make sure its worth it before the 30 day return period is up, then this has to happen to me. I've got the worst luck ever :lol

Yep. My brother blew out the power supply on his like a moron. They sent him a box within 2 days and he got his system back within a week. Well, actually, they sent him a brand new one, but that's beside the point ;)

Kagari said:
Well, you would get a 60GB back if you're still under warranty if you did have to send it in.
shite, I dont even know when my warranty is up

It would just suck if I had to go with one without full BC, I was primarily an Xbot last gen so I didnt play too many PS2 games but now there is like this glorious back catalogue.....I guess I could always get a PS2, that would suck.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HallucinatingElvis said:
shite, I dont even know when my warranty is up

It would just suck if I had to go with one without full BC, I was primarily an Xbot last gen so I didnt play too many PS2 games but now there is like this glorious back catalogue.....I guess I could always get a PS2, that would suck.

When did you purchase the system? You have one year from then.

Kagari said:
When did you purchase the system? You have one year from then.
yeah I'm trying to remember, I originally got a 20 gig probably around january of last year and then a few months later went to a 60 gig, I'll have to check with the store tomarrow....I dont imagine I have too much time left.

Top Bottom