• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

tanod

when is my burrito
Prince of Space said:
Hopefully, mine isn't dead, but I tried downloading the 1.80 update last night, but couldn't find my USB cable at all and eventually had to turn the console off. When I tried turning it on again, the controller wouldn't connect (probably for obvious reasons), and I didn't get any picture. Am I ****ed, or will it work itself out if I can find that damn cable?

Battery in controller need to be recharged? Find the USB cable.

tanod

when is my burrito
timnich said:
Does anyone else's PS3 make loud noises when playing discs? I just noticed a while ago that my PS3 sounds like a floppy drive whenever I play DVD and BluRay games. It's pretty loud and unnerving, is my PS3 already in trouble?

Make sure you clean out the air vents. Also, if the temperature in your apartment or house is greater than 75-80 degrees, the fan is gonna run faster.

tanod said:
Battery in controller need to be recharged? Find the USB cable.
I actually just recharged it -- which makes the missing USB cable even more puzzling/annoying. Besides, how would that explain the fact that I'm not getting picture?

tanod

when is my burrito
Prince of Space said:
I actually just recharged it -- which makes the missing USB cable even more puzzling/annoying. Besides, how would that explain the fact that I'm not getting picture?

Just trying to help.

Check all of your audio/video cable connections.

It could also be that your display settings need to be reset. When the system is off, hold down the power button for 5 seconds until it beeps a couple times. See if you can at least get your display back.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was in the Warhawk beta when my screen went entirely green and pink. Just crashed kind of. I thought it was a regular Warhawk issue, but I could still actually play and continue on in the background. I tried resetting the system and resetting video, but all I got is gray lines now. And no sound.

RSX failure?

Lol my PS3 died before my launch 360.

Bildi

I have to say this thread doesn't have quite the high-stakes drama of the 360 thread.

Nice to see Y2Kev putting in a valiant effort though.

Y2Kev said:
I was in the Warhawk beta when my screen went entirely green and pink. Just crashed kind of. I thought it was a regular Warhawk issue, but I could still actually play and continue on in the background. I tried resetting the system and resetting video, but all I got is gray lines now. And no sound.

RSX failure?

Checkerboard pattern?

Y2Kev said:

RSX failure?

:lol I predicted this! Warhawk PS3 killer app confirmed

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AltogetherAndrews said:
Checkerboard pattern?

No, actually. The system is eerily back alive. Not through HDMI though. I can't configure it to work through HDMI again. HDMI gave me all those green and pink lines.

Component is working fine though, but I don't have enough component inputs. Back to the store when I can take it if I can't figure this out.

rubso

Banned
Help, My PS3 (1.8) is crashing on me every time I play Ninja Gaiden Sigma, especially when opening up the Inventory Menu in NGS:
DSCI0286.jpg

I haven't tried playing other games, but It appears that my PS3 is dying on me (?)
+ I'm having some issues here with the WiFi adapter, It will connect to the PSN after 10 minutes of trying to reconnect me.

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, like the above said, if they ask you about ANYTHING, make sure you said it's made by Sony, even if it isn't. If you tell them you have something third party hooked up, they could basically say that was the cause and void your warrenty.

actually that depends on what state you live in. and most states' laws state that it cannot void the warrenty

Brofist

Just got my PS3 back today, was giving me the flashing red light and 3 beeps. The service was unreal (Sony Japan) no questions and very friendly. The turnaround time was 2 days from the day I sent it in. 2 ****ing days and I got my PS3 back, I was expecting a week or 2.

They paid the shipping both ways also, and I didn't even have to fill out a mail form to send it, just brought the service number they gave me (and the PS3 obviously) to my local convenience store and they had the info all set to go.

kpop100 said:
Just got my PS3 back today, was giving me the flashing red light and 3 beeps. The service was unreal (Sony Japan) no questions and very friendly. The turnaround time was 2 days from the day I sent it in. 2 ****ing days and I got my PS3 back, I was expecting a week or 2.

They paid the shipping both ways also, and I didn't even have to fill out a mail form to send it, just brought the service number they gave me (and the PS3 obviously) to my local convenience store and they had the info all set to go.

Probably not a lot of consoles to fix, thats why the turn around time was so fast

garrickk

kpop100 said:

Did they give you any indication of what was wrong with it?

BTW, Y2Kev's PS3 wasn't broken - it was his TV.

Ploid 3.0

Also, it was Y2Kev's TV, not the ps3/HDMI cable/Warhawk demo. Seems the thread got lost before he found out.

Gah, garrickk beat me and my slow vr keyboard pecking.

tanod

when is my burrito
rubso said:
Help, My PS3 (1.8) is crashing on me every time I play Ninja Gaiden Sigma, especially when opening up the Inventory Menu in NGS:
DSCI0286.jpg

I haven't tried playing other games, but It appears that my PS3 is dying on me (?)
+ I'm having some issues here with the WiFi adapter, It will connect to the PSN after 10 minutes of trying to reconnect me.

Try deleting the demo and save profile information and re-download the demo. It could be corrupted.

rubso

Banned
tanod said:
Try deleting the demo and save profile information and re-download the demo. It could be corrupted.
Will do that, btw, I tested Motorstorm Demo, and I had the same issues.

Brofist

garrickk said:
Did they give you any indication of what was wrong with it?

BTW, Y2Kev's PS3 wasn't broken - it was his TV.

They said they thought it was most likely an overheating issue. Actually they were probably right, because I had been keeping it out in the open, but moved it to a tight place in an entertainment center. After that it started getting loud and eventually died. Moral of the story, give the PS3 enough room to breathe ;)

gljvd

Banned
Anyone hear of problems connecting to the internet afte the 1.8 upgrade? My sisters no longer connects to anything on any network or plugged right into the cable modem . Everything else on the network connects just fine though.

There were no problems before the upgrade .

tanod

when is my burrito
gljvd said:
Anyone hear of problems connecting to the internet afte the 1.8 upgrade? My sisters no longer connects to anything on any network or plugged right into the cable modem . Everything else on the network connects just fine though.

There were no problems before the upgrade .

Try turning off media server in network options. Apparently, there is a glitch for some people that disrupts their network.

rubso

Banned
I have the same issues with Resistance too ( my PS3 has a defective RSX ? ) + Longer load times, but my PS3 didn't crash though.

edit:
gljvd said:
I have the same problem
but no one helped me on how to fix it.
try restarting your PS3, you may get connected after 10 minutes of trying to reconnect >.<

gljvd

Banned
tanod said:
Try turning off media server in network options. Apparently, there is a glitch for some people that disrupts their network.

When I talk to her tonight I will tell her to try this .

but no one helped me on how to fix it.
try restarting your PS3, you may get connected after 10 minutes of trying to reconnect >.<

thanks but she tried this last night. Hope you can fix your problem

garrickk

Rubso, are you using HDMI or DVI? I supposed some of that could be digital noise from data loss in the signal (on your TV or from the PS3 - your TV would be the most likely candidate, with a bad cable unlikely). Try component if you can.

However, it's most likely the GPU.

rubso

Banned
garrickk said:
Rubso, are you using HDMI or DVI? I supposed some of that could be digital noise from data loss in the signal (on your TV or from the PS3 - your TV would be the most likely candidate, with a bad cable unlikely). Try component if you can.

However, it's most likely the GPU.
hmm.. I wish I could try the Component cable, but unfortunately I don't have it, I only have HDMI and Composite cable.

garrickk

rubso said:
hmm.. I wish I could try the Component cable, but unfortunately I don't have it, I only have HDMI and Composite cable.
Well, trying crappy composite would at least tell you if the GPU is borked.

Ranger X

rubso said:
click here then click on "other stuff" you will find some old pictures of my setup.

Daim i cannot fault you on the setup, there was enough space there that's for sure! tks for the link :)

I'm wondering all those things because i want my PS3 use to be optimal. Are you living on a second or third floor where there be higher temperatures? Or maybe in some basement where there might have more humidity?

rubso

Banned
garrickk said:
Well, trying crappy composite would at least tell you if the GPU is borked.
I plugged in the composite cable, and all I get is a blank screen !

edit:
Ranger X said:
Daim i cannot fault you on the setup, there was enough space there that's for sure! tks for the link :)

I'm wondering all those things because i want my PS3 use to be optimal. Are you living on a second or third floor where there be higher temperatures? Or maybe in some basement where there might have more humidity?
well, my setup is in the basement, and my AC is working 24/7 :D.

tanod

when is my burrito
rubso said:
I plugged in the composite cable, and all I get is a blank screen !

You have to reset your display settings. When the PS3 is off, press and hold the power button until it beeps. It should work then. When you switch between digital and analog cables, you have to reset the display settings, so you'll have to do it again when you hook it back up with HDMI.

rubso

Banned
tanod said:
You have to reset your display settings. When the PS3 is off, press and hold the power button until it beeps. It should work then. When you switch between digital and analog cables, you have to reset the display settings, so you'll have to do it again when you hook it back up with HDMI.
using the composite cable, and I'm having the same issues, let's try the last step, how to reformat my HDD without losing game saves?

gameboya

Count Dookkake said:
I hope Sony is able to find a replacement unit for you. They are supply constrained, you know.

They sure are, in fact I will give you $1200 per PS3 you find sitting on store shelves. Honestly, good luck finding one.

tanod

when is my burrito
rubso said:
using the composite cable, and I'm having the same issues, let's try the last step, how to reformat my HDD without losing game saves?

Back them up on a USB key drive, compact flash or MS card

rubso

Banned
tanod said:
Back them up on a USB key drive, compact flash or MS card
Thanks garrickk, bigswords and you tanod for trying to help me, I really appreciate it, I'll try reformatting my HDD tomorrow I guess, I feel a little bit tired right now.

rubso said:
DSCI0286.jpg

There's an option in the XMB to reset your PS3 back to factory defaults. I suggest trying this. Be sure to de-authorize the system first so you can re-download your purchased PS3 games from the PSN.

rubso

Banned
FormulaOne said:
There's an option in the XMB to reset your PS3 back to factory defaults. I suggest trying this. Be sure to de-authorize the system first so you can re-download your purchased PS3 games from the PSN.
I'll try that, btw, I don't have any purchased PS3 games from PSN yet. so, don't worry :D

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
This month I bought a PS3 and this month my PS3 has died. Well I think it is dead.

I was playing the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo then all of a sudden my Triple crashes so I restart it and a message saying my system files are corrupt press X to restore them or whatever. So I wait about 4 minutes to fix itself and the same message keeps appearing over and over and over again :<. help GAF!

tanod

when is my burrito
Label said:
This month I bought a PS3 and this month my PS3 has died. Well I think it is dead.

I was playing the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo then all of a sudden my Triple crashes so I restart it and a message saying my system files are corrupt press X to restore them or whatever. So I wait about 4 minutes to fix itself and the same message keeps appearing over and over and over again :<. help GAF!

Call Sony? Never heard of that problem.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well phoned them up today and they agreed to have my new PS3 to me on Monday along with another 1 year guruantee :D

Aenima

My 1 month old PS3 just died, in fact i think it was the HDD that died. It freezed in a loading and now dont reboot to the XMB menu anymore. It stays in a error message saying it cant restart cuz dont find the right HDD. Also the HDD made a strange noise before this hapened.

Anyone had the same issue? I googled it but didnt found anyone with same problem.

HokieJoe

Y2Kev said:

RSX failure?

Have you been running Folding@Home?

I've had mine running nonstop with nary a hitch thus far. I wanted to break it in proper before my warranty runs out at Gamestop.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read far enough. Have you tried using another HDMI cable?

HokieJoe

Aenima said:
My 1 month old PS3 just died, in fact i think it was the HDD that died. It freezed in a loading and now dont reboot to the XMB menu anymore. It stays in a error message saying it cant restart cuz dont find the right HDD. Also the HDD made a strange noise before this hapened.

Anyone had the same issue? I googled it but didnt found anyone with same problem.

First, I would call support. As well, could you plug in another HDD to see if that's indeed the problem?

Aenima

HokieJoe said:
First, I would call support. As well, could you plug in another HDD to see if that's indeed the problem?
Nop, i dont have a spare hdd to try... i dont even have a screwdrive the sise to fit in that tiny blue screw to remove the hdd. :p

But tomorrow im gonna send it to repair.

Top Bottom