• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

RiceKilla

Banned
It's a joke or hes trying to somehow harm Sony by saying that. No company would tell you to send them the full retail price for a machine for repairs.

M3Freak

Banned
I just remembered that my credit card adds one year to warranties for most products. So, my PS3 is now covered for two - sweet.

In any case, I'm not worried about my PS3 dying. If I was, I wouldn't be leaving it on as much as I do - I'm basically running it as a server, for craps sake.

The one thing that does me worry is dust and fingerprints. I don't want dust collecting on the PS3, and there better not be any fingerprints on that shiny casing.

I think I need to bust out my trusty air can today...

RiceKilla said:
It's a joke or hes trying to somehow harm Sony by saying that. No company would tell you to send them the full retail price for a machine for repairs.
That’s what I was thinking.

spwolf

DarkMage619 said:
This is true. If you try and swap hard drives the new system will tell you that the hard drive needs to be reformatted and will delete all of your data. On that front at least there is ONE thing the extra expensive 360 hard drives have going for themselves.

The Dark One

you can actually backup your data to usb drive and re-download purchased games from PSN store...

And to clarify, I haven’t had a lick of troubles with my PS3. I use it for everything it is advertised to be used for (except for Linux at this point). I am 100% PS3 when at home using it for games, music, photos, movies and the internet. It’s only locked up on me a couple of times in the browser and a couple of times in Oblivion. I’ve never had a problem with Blu-ray playback or lockups in other games. I still think the hardware is great, I apparently just got one with something bad in it, which happens. So far, I’m a very happy PS3 owner, but what happens when I call them back today may change that. Hopefully I can get my HDD and game back and hopefully I can get the system back within a very timely manner.

AVclub

Sorry you're having PS3 trouble. While certainly rare, it does happen. I've seen some thorough explanation about the return process on "The PS3 Nation." You can check out the article here and the follow up after getting the replacement here. There are some cautions there that might apply to your case, like how to back up your data if it's possible.

Anyway, let us know how your situation turns out. I know Sony hasn't been that great in the past with customer service so...

J-Rzez

Did you have your PS3 plugged straight into an outlet? I'd hook it up to a quality digital component Surge Protector from here on out if I were you... You can get surges at anytime, not just electrical storms like people think... It could happen just straight off a line and pending on your homes wiring...

J-Rzez said:
Did you have your PS3 plugged straight into an outlet? I'd hook it up to a quality digital component Surge Protector from here on out if I were you... You can get surges at anytime, not just electrical storms like people think... It could happen just straight off a line and pending on your homes wiring...

it's incredible how many people don't use surge protectors.
I use UPS, personally, in case of a brownout or rolling blackout, which happens somewhat often in my area

As I mentioned, it is hooked up to a surge protector. I also have a UPS that I had been meaning to hook it up to, but hadn’t yet. I know that will be the first thing I hook the replacement up to though.

1-D_FTW

Doom_Bringer said:
same thing happened to my PC last year but my situation was really bad. I heard a pop but that pop took out my motherboard, graphics card, power supply unit :( And the repair store had to wipe out my HDD :(

Or maybe it was your power supply that took out your motherboard and graphics card.

Surge's are really rare. Much rarer than a power supply blowing... which would cause a pop.

OP sounds like a PS or fuse that blew.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
My first unit broke too. I think it overheated. They didn't send back my HD and wouldn't allow me to remove it before I sent it in.

They were fast about replacing it, but they give you another repaired unit, not your own :(

regs

blindrocket said:
As I mentioned, it is hooked up to a surge protector. I also have a UPS that I had been meaning to hook it up to, but hadn’t yet. I know that will be the first thing I hook the replacement up to though.

How old is the surge protector? They should be replaced every few years.

Yeah, I’m not too thrilled about getting back a refurb, but I understand it. I’m going to have to put it through a torture test to make sure it’s 100% before I’m satisfied though. I had absolutely zero problems with my PS3 (until this obviously) and I’d expect the same from my replacement.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
blindrocket said:
Yeah, I’m not too thrilled about getting back a refurb, but I understand it. I’m going to have to put it through a torture test to make sure it’s 100% before I’m satisfied though. I had absolutely zero problems with my PS3 (until this obviously) and I’d expect the same from my replacement.

Mine's been good. And the replacement ships to you when they see you've shipped to them, so it's quite fast.

Spooks

I have a question about my PS3 hopefully someone here might have any idea whats wrong with mine. Its a launch day PS3 (60gb), anyways anytime I try to download a trailer,delete a message from a friend, or even delete the failed videos that i tried to download I get a error. The error is 8801000A. I can download and delete demo's with no problem and my PS2 & PS3 saves on it work fine. I just find it weird it messes up with those other things. Would it be a hard drive issue? Sorry if this is OT btw.

Spooks said:
I have a question about my PS3 hopefully someone here might have any idea whats wrong with mine. Its a launch day PS3 (60gb), anyways anytime I try to download a trailer,delete a message from a friend, or even delete the failed videos that i tried to download I get a error. The error is 8801000A. I can download and delete demo's with no problem and my PS2 & PS3 saves on it work fine. I just find it weird it messes up with those other things. Would it be a hard drive issue? Sorry if this is OT btw.
I have no idea, but if I had ANY trouble at all I would call the support number.
Or you could try reformatting the drive because it does sound like a HDD issue (maybe).

PS360

Banned
DarkMage619 said:
This is true. If you try and swap hard drives the new system will tell you that the hard drive needs to be reformatted and will delete all of your data. On that front at least there is ONE thing the extra expensive 360 hard drives have going for themselves.

The Dark One

Nice thing is that doesn't affect updates/accounts/network prefs. Only saves/media.

PS3's been on since about midnight last night and I'm at work for another hour. Not worried in the slightest about coming home and finding it overheated. It's built very well.

I called them back last night to give them my serial number and spoke with Richard; it’s covered under warranty so they will be replacing it for free with free shipping however I will definitely not get back my HDD. Everything on there I can get back except for my save games so it’s not a huge loss. He said that they do not support this but I could try taking the HDD to a company that pulls data from HDDs. I’m not going to bother with it though.
Anyway, he said it could be five to ten days before I get a PS3 back in my hands and that I WOULD get my Oblivion game back that is still in the drive however he does not know how they handle that. We don’t know if they give me just the disc, a whole new game or what. My only fear now is that I’ll get the PS3 back quickly but I may not see the game for some time.

tanod

when is my burrito
blindrocket said:
I called them back last night to give them my serial number and spoke with Richard; it’s covered under warranty so they will be replacing it for free with free shipping however I will definitely not get back my HDD. Everything on there I can get back except for my save games so it’s not a huge loss. He said that they do not support this but I could try taking the HDD to a company that pulls data from HDDs. I’m not going to bother with it though.
Anyway, he said it could be five to ten days before I get a PS3 back in my hands and that I WOULD get my Oblivion game back that is still in the drive however he does not know how they handle that. We don’t know if they give me just the disc, a whole new game or what. My only fear now is that I’ll get the PS3 back quickly but I may not see the game for some time.

Good to hear. Let us know when you know more and how quick the turnaround was or wasn't.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
blindrocket said:
I called them back last night to give them my serial number and spoke with Richard; it’s covered under warranty so they will be replacing it for free with free shipping however I will definitely not get back my HDD. Everything on there I can get back except for my save games so it’s not a huge loss.

Doesn't the backup utility save everything, including save game files? If you have a USB storage device - an ipod would be ideal - with some gigs free, that's your best option I think.

jjasper

I just realized I left mine running Folding on all night and then left the house for work without turning it off, what's the over under on my house burning down while I am at work?

tanod

when is my burrito
gofreak said:
Doesn't the backup utility save everything, including save game files? If you have a USB storage device - an ipod would be ideal - with some gigs free, that's your best option I think.

He can't back it up unless he moves the HD to another PS3. His power supply ate it and he can't turn it on.

JJasper: Unless by "running Folding" you mean lit on fire, the answer is 0. My PS3 is at home chugging away like it does every day.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
tanod said:
He can't back it up unless he moves the HD to another PS3. His power supply ate it and he can't turn it on.

JJasper: Unless by "running Folding" you mean lit on fire, the answer is 0. My PS3 is at home chugging away like it does every day.

How many days has it been on for? I'd love to leave mine on and let it fold to its heart content as long as there are no heat/power supply frying itself concerns.... I have mine standing vertically on carpet BTW. If necessary I could probably move it up and drop it on top of the PS2 if you think I'd get better air circulation that way... if it doesn't crush the PS2 in the process. ;)

tanod

when is my burrito
DarienA said:
How many days has it been on for? I'd love to leave mine on and let it fold to its heart content as long as there are no heat/power supply frying itself concerns.... I have mine standing vertically on carpet BTW. If necessary I could probably move it up and drop it on top of the PS2 if you think I'd get better air circulation that way... if it doesn't crush the PS2 in the process. ;)

It's been on for about 10 days now and I only turned it off then because there was a thunderstorm. Mine is horizontal in an open entertainment center. Your PS3 is probably just fine as is. The machine will never burn up internally unless the safety circuitry (it turns off automatically if it gets close to damaging anything) gets busted. I've never had the safety switch mine off.

Patsu and B-ri have had their PS3s on for about 5 months straight now. Ask them if you're still not sure.

Wouldn't recommend the PS3 on PS2 action. Recipe for disaster.

*cries* ah my Brother in pain. I just went through that less than a month ago if anyone remembers my thread. The biggest headache i had was not having the original proof of purchase. I also had some trouble getting them to understand that the replacement receipt GS sent me was legal. It took me about 2 weeks to get the proof of purchase and get the packing material from sony, however i got the system back in a week flat, which was nice. Good Luck and tell me how it goes. Oh the BD drive in mine died.

Ranger X

Is it possible to remove my default hard drive and put in my buddy's PS3 ?
It's odd that they can't seem to recover everything from the HDD. It sounds like bullshit.

No offense but anyone who says that they aren't using the official peripherals are really naive. When I phoned Dell to tell them I had a problem with my PC, they asked have you installed any programs on the computer, I replied with a "no not a single one, since I have had the computer (2 years)" They then sent out the replacement part the next day by courier.

tanod

when is my burrito
the thoroughbred said:
No offense but anyone who says that they aren't using the official peripherals are really naive. When I phoned Dell to tell them I had a problem with my PC, they asked have you installed any programs on the computer, I replied with a "no not a single one, since I have had the computer (2 years)" They then sent out the replacement part the next day by courier.

:lol Awesome

Norse

they really need to figure ut a way for people to get the game saves back...I couldnt imaging losing my oblivion saves after 30+ hours of playing..that would kill me. hehe

BobTheFork said:
*cries* ah my Brother in pain. I just went through that less than a month ago if anyone remembers my thread. The biggest headache i had was not having the original proof of purchase. I also had some trouble getting them to understand that the replacement receipt GS sent me was legal. It took me about 2 weeks to get the proof of purchase and get the packing material from sony, however i got the system back in a week flat, which was nice. Good Luck and tell me how it goes. Oh the BD drive in mine died.
Luckily for me I stick the receipt from Wal-Mart in the box after I opened it so I didn’t have to hunt for it. I bought my PS3 in mid to late February.

Oh, and I was pleased to know they will be giving me a new one year warranty on this new PS3 starting from the day they ship it to me.

burnfout

blindrocket said:

I've had this problem with my PS2 ( ICO being stuck in a kaput PS2) I got a new PS2 within 3 days, I did get ICO back too, after a month! So yeah, you prolly won't be seeing Oblivion any time soon..

theBishop

Banned
Norse said:
they really need to figure ut a way for people to get the game saves back...I couldnt imaging losing my oblivion saves after 30+ hours of playing..that would kill me. hehe

Just save them to a thumbdrive.

Highlight the save file -> Triangle -> Copy

It sounds like it may be a blown power supply. In that case they could intall a new one and send it back to you, game saves and all.

_Angelus_

Banned
Holy shit-one guy had his PS3 on for 10 days straight while another for 5 months?
I freak out if I've played with my consoles for more than 90 minutes. I often power them down and give them a break.:lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Angelus said:
Holy shit-one guy had his PS3 on for 10 days straight while another for 5 months?
I freak out if I've played with my consoles for more than 90 minutes. I often power them down and give them a break.:lol

This ain't no 360. :)

Tiduz

Eurogaime
that sucks, i think youll get a good one back tho ;)

I play everyday for +/- 5 hours, only 1 time genji has frozen on me, and i blame it on the game and not my ps3, since my other 4 games always work and never froze =)

Norse

theBishop said:
Just save them to a thumbdrive.

Highlight the save file -> Triangle -> Copy

kind of hard to do after the system is dead....guess we will all start having to backup our console drives like our PCs.

_Angelus_

Banned
tanod said:
This ain't no 360. :)

I feel sorry for you guys with your 360's:/
I had one die on me but it was because I used a device called Xport which killed the hard drive the minute I used it on my 360-piece of shit.

I've had quite abit of Sega,Sony,and Microsoft consoles die on me in the past 10 years.
Maybe my luck has changed abit.

But yeah the PS3 seems built like a race horse. Good job Sony. :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Norse said:
Tell that to this threads OP!

The OP's problem wasn't overheating and my comment was in reply to somebody who is concerned about leaving their PS3 on for long periods of time.

Reading comprehension FTL.

Durante

Doom_Bringer said:
crazy! an electronic device left on for 5 months!! I turn my PC off every night
My PC has been on for 99,99% of the 4 years I've been living here. All the time basically, except whenever I exchanged any components. I've never had any component die on me. In fact, the least durable parts, the HDDs, prefer to be kept running in a well-ventilated case to being turned on and off repeatedly.

It's nice that PS3 seems to be built as durably as I expect from consumer electronics.

fse

Anyone have that humming sound from when you run folding even when your not...?
Is it normal?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Doom_Bringer said:
crazy! an electronic device left on for 5 months!! I turn my PC off every night

Our main desktop PC is left on every night, it's only rebooted occasionally. Same for our Home Server.

Ploid 3.0

I've been leaving my ps3 on all the time lately. It felt odd at first but after you start using it for movies, anime, main web browser, and such on top of playing games, it's hard to turn it off. Just when I leave the house, but other people use it too so I'm not even sure. Hope it don't break, no backups. Downloading stuff again wouldn't be much of a prob though, my downloads have been seemingly super fast since 1.6. Maybe it felt slow because I had to walk away and let it sit at the download screen.

According to UPS tracking information I should have the box to ship my PS3 back to them on Monday. But since I’m having it shipped to my work hopefully I can get it sent back out the same day.

Top Bottom