• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

kyle (in stereo) said:
Don't feel bad.

If Sony's track record is any indication, in about a year, you guys will all be members of one big club.
Well, it’s the first Sony console I’ve had go bad on me, and I’ve owned them all.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
blindrocket said:
Well, it’s the first Sony console I’ve had go bad on me, and I’ve owned them all.
That doesn't make me feel any better. :lol I've had the same experience (the sony consoles not going bad part), hopefully my ps3 continues the trend.

spwolf

Durante said:
My PC has been on for 99,99% of the 4 years I've been living here. All the time basically, except whenever I exchanged any components. I've never had any component die on me. In fact, the least durable parts, the HDDs, prefer to be kept running in a well-ventilated case to being turned on and off repeatedly.

It's nice that PS3 seems to be built as durably as I expect from consumer electronics.

PC's mid-tower case has a lot of room... I left my first notebook on almost always for the year.... it crashed and burned, they had to replace almost everything... same thing happened to many people who did the same...

WingM@n

My european launch console died the first day I got it. While playing motorstorm the graphics became 'messed up' and the console shut down. I managed to get my game out of the drive, but after a few tries it wouldn't do anything anymore, and you could smell something burned. I returned it at the store and I got a new one and it works perfectly.

My PS1 died within 4 months
My first PS2 died after 6 months
My second PS2 died 2 years later
My launch Xbox died after 1,5 years
My launch Xbox360 died the first month
Somehow I feel cursed...

I guess they aren’t cross shipping overnight because I’m still without a PS3.
Whenever I call the support number and enter my information it says that my package was opened and assigned on April 17th, which was the day after I shipped it next day air. So if they were to ship me another PS3 via next day air I should have had it by now. But the message says please allow 7 to 10 business days, so I’m really hopeful they are actually repairing my PS3 and not replacing it with a refurbished unit which would explain the extra time.

Well I got an email from them saying that they shipped me a PS3 on Friday and that I should receive it on Wednesday. They are shipping it 3 Day Select Via UPS, so I guess they aren’t shipping them Next Day Air back to us like I thought they were.
Also the automatically generated email says that this PS3 will have a new 90 day limited service warranty, but they already told me over the phone I’d get another year warranty with it so I will have to call them on that one. Since it took so long I hope it’s my same PS3 repaired and not a different one and hopefully Oblivion is in it as well.

spwolf

blindrocket said:
Well I got an email from them saying that they shipped me a PS3 on Friday and that I should receive it on Wednesday. They are shipping it 3 Day Select Via UPS, so I guess they aren’t shipping them Next Day Air back to us like I thought they were.
Also the automatically generated email says that this PS3 will have a new 90 day limited service warranty, but they already told me over the phone I’d get another year warranty with it so I will have to call them on that one. Since it took so long I hope it’s my same PS3 repaired and not a different one and hopefully Oblivion is in it as well.

when did you send it in?

Tron999

Strange, they next day air'd mine when I got it back. Still, 3 day select isn't too bad. Overall, I was impressed with Sony's return process.

arcader

Banned
hey BR - I was wondering why you handt been on PSN lately - haha I thought you deleted me...

Anyway - you need to back up your HDD like 1-2 times a month.

as long as they send you the same PS3 back with a fixed power supply, you an restore all of your stuff to the same PS3 (even if they put a new harddisk in it)

Taking one HDDD from a PS3 and putting in a new PS3 wont work because if it isnt the drive the system formatted and used it will force you to formatt it first thing when you turn the PS3 on.

I think the ideal solution is that you get the same PS3 back with your oblivion game in it.

Sory to hear about your luck :(

Zen

Banned
Does anyone know if it's better on the PS3 to have it standing up or laying flat? I've had mine standing since I got it. I figured it would help keep it cool.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Zen said:
Does anyone know if it's better on the PS3 to have it standing up or laying flat? I've had mine standing since I got it. I figured it would help keep it cool.

for heat to dissapate, there'll be a greater area if its flat.

horizontal, all the heat will go up the tower, sharing its lovely excited electrons with all the other mechanical parts the PS3 has as it goes up

Firewire

Banned
This is the first time, I've ever heard of a PS3 failing.
Do you think Sony will give you an explanation, or at least what they think happened.
To me it sounds like a power surge, like others have suggested.

If it was a power surge don't feel bad about it, my house got hit (well close hit) by lightning about three years ago. It caused a masive power surge through my house. Almost every piece of electronic's got ruined, 4 T.V's, vcr's,dvd player,fridge, stove, furnace, everything was ruined, even alarm clocks!
Now I have everything on a main surge protector at my fuse box (costs about a grand) but it protects everything in the house, well worth the investment, considering the cost of replacing everything. I also use surge protectors on all main appliances, just for added security.

I have been having problems with the Emotion Engine chip in my US PS3 that I have had since December. I will play a PS2 game and it will lose all sound. Also I have had it get stuck on the audio, such as in Sniper Elite it says "The Ger The Ger The Ger The Ger" as its trying to say "The Germans" on one level. Its not the disk because I keep them flawless.

So I guess I just got a bad Emotion Engine. The PS3 side of everything is great and I have no problems aside from the occasional dropped blutooth signal to the controller, but other than that its been ok. I will not send it in to have the EE fixed because I don't want a scratched refurb unit in place of my Flawless PS3.

tha_con

Banned
derrickgott007 said:
I have been having problems with the Emotion Engine chip in my US PS3 that I have had since December. I will play a PS2 game and it will lose all sound. Also I have had it get stuck on the audio, such as in Sniper Elite it says "The Ger The Ger The Ger The Ger" as its trying to say "The Germans" on one level. Its not the disk because I keep them flawless.

So I guess I just got a bad Emotion Engine. The PS3 side of everything is great and I have no problems aside from the occasional dropped blutooth signal to the controller, but other than that its been ok. I will not send it in to have the EE fixed because I don't want a scratched refurb unit in place of my Flawless PS3.

If it's not all games then it's quite possible the games just aren't compatible with the PS3. Especially since the large number of short comings with PS1 and PS2 games played on PS3 are audio related.

Firewire

Banned
derrickgott007 said:

Have you checked to make sure that game is fully supported for backward play on the PS3? That may be the problem, it could be one of the games Sony hasn't fixed for backward compatibility? I think you can find the list of games off the Sony website.

Firewire said:
Have you checked to make sure that game is fully supported for backward play on the PS3? That may be the problem, it could be one of the games Sony hasn't fixed for backward compatibility? I think you can find the list of games off the Sony website.

Oh its all of them...I am sure of that. Plus I get random freezes and other odd problems when using the PS2 side of it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
My PS3's on its way back to Sony too - problems with the wireless network. Works fine with a wired connection, but keeps timing out when I use wireless, to the point that I can't actually connect to the network at all.

The careline (when I finally managed to find the number) was extremely helpful and competent (which makes a change on this sort of thing) and the returns process is brilliant - they're going to deliver a new PS3 at the same time that they take mine away, so I don't have to go a minute without one. Not that I'd have minded all that much (currently playing DS/PS2/PC games) but it's the thought that counts.

Firewire

Banned
derrickgott007 said:
Oh its all of them...I am sure of that. Plus I get random freezes and other odd problems when using the PS2 side of it.

If its all your PS2 games, then I think your console has a problem. I would contact Sony about it. Its possible they might be able to help you over the phone, maybe something in your system is screwed though and it would have to be replaced.

If you have a memory stick or external hard drive, copy all your stuff to it before sending your PS3 to Sony. That way when you get a new machine you can start off were u left off (game saves)

Just out of curiosty what system update are u on? are you on 1.7 (latest) if you don't use your PS3 online this could be part of the problem.

PS360

Banned
iapetus said:
they're going to deliver a new PS3 at the same time that they take mine away, so I don't have to go a minute without one.

Wha-wha-whaaaaaaat?!?! Haha that's awesome. Is this standard procedure?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
iapetus said:
My PS3's on its way back to Sony too - problems with the wireless network. Works fine with a wired connection, but keeps timing out when I use wireless, to the point that I can't actually connect to the network at all.

The careline (when I finally managed to find the number) was extremely helpful and competent (which makes a change on this sort of thing) and the returns process is brilliant - they're going to deliver a new PS3 at the same time that they take mine away, so I don't have to go a minute without one. Not that I'd have minded all that much (currently playing DS/PS2/PC games) but it's the thought that counts.

iap are you in the US? What was the number you dialed? I recently called a number to inquiring about the beeping I'm hearing coming from my PS3(with the 160GB drive installed, it beeps intermittently), and they claimed it was normal and nothing to worry about.

I'm not completely satisfied with that answer.

Firewire said:
If its all your PS2 games, then I think your console has a problem. I would contact Sony about it. Its possible they might be able to help you over the phone, maybe something in your system is screwed though and it would have to be replaced.

If you have a memory stick or external hard drive, copy all your stuff to it before sending your PS3 to Sony. That way when you get a new machine you can start off were u left off (game saves)

Just out of curiosty what system update are u on? are you on 1.7 (latest) if you don't use your PS3 online this could be part of the problem.

I am on update 1.70....thats not the problem, its just the fact that I don't want to send it in and get back a piece of crap refurb. I kept my system immaculate, No scratches, no skins, no dust. I heard from a lot of people that they got back refurbs with DEEP scratches in them, and even some with vinyl skin residue on them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My friend's stopped functioning too. The light just turns red and it doesn't lunch. He said it happened before but went back to normal, now he doubts it's going to be fine.

Still it's nice to know there aren't a lot of faulty units, I should have no worries when I get mine next fall. I'm still waiting on the 360 until I am 100% sure the problem is settled with their console by next fall.

That or I buy a Wii if I see some REAL Dragon Quest, FF, etc, games on it:D

/buys butter

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I'm beginning to feel slightly more disillusioned about the PS3 return process, though to be fair it isn't Sony's fault. I arranged to have the replacement delivered at work on Monday. Unfortunately on Monday morning I started by throwing up everything I'd eaten the evening before, followed by ejecting everything I'd eaten in the previous day or two in a spectacular display of explosive diahorreah. Since that isn't the sort of behaviour that's encouraged at my place of work I decided to stay at home, and missed the delivery. They were very nice about the whole thing and arranged to have it delivered to me at home today, but today was the day that my doorbell finally decided that enough was enough - it stopped working forever due to too much rust at approximately 3:48pm (I know this because they attempted to deliver my PS3 at 3:50pm).

Hopefully tomorrow will be better - I've got permission to work from home (so I don't run the risk of infecting all my colleagues with whatever amusing bug I've had) and I've got a brand new shiny doorbell which should hopefully remain working all day.

I got my PS3 back today! And the good news they included my Oblivion disc. I don’t think that it’s my original PS3, but I’ll find out for sure tonight when I hook it up. I’m just glad to have it back now.
I was without it for over two weeks.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm having an issue where my system gets turned off and it begins shutting down and the light on the front flashes blue and green but doesn't actually turn off. The front power switch also becomes unresponsive. It will work if I shut it off by the main switch in the back, but this has happened several times now. Is this something I'm missing in the manual?

This is my 2nd unit, so I hope it's not a problem I need repaired. It's in a well ventilated area and this happens sporadically over the last week, even after just watching video on the system.

I got reacquainted with the PS3 last night. After hooking it up I know that it’s not my original console. One thing I noticed was that it said “HDD” with an arrow on the HDD access door, which my other PS3 did not. I don’t know if it’s new or refurbished but it was wrapped in the new plastic and didn’t have any scratches or dust on it.
I don’t know if it’s because I’m not used to it due to being away from it for so long but this one may be even quieter than my original. I played Oblivion last night and didn’t even hear the fans work up a sweat. :)
I’m glad that my friends list is tied to the online PSN account and not locally to the PS3 because I know I wouldn’t have remembered all of my friends handles.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
My replacement also arrived today. Apparently it comes with a full 12-month guarantee again, which is nice. Hopefully the system restore from my PSP will work. :)

RobertM

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm having an issue where my system gets turned off and it begins shutting down and the light on the front flashes blue and green but doesn't actually turn off. The front power switch also becomes unresponsive. It will work if I shut it off by the main switch in the back, but this has happened several times now. Is this something I'm missing in the manual?

This is my 2nd unit, so I hope it's not a problem I need repaired. It's in a well ventilated area and this happens sporadically over the last week, even after just watching video on the system.
Flashing blue and green, strange. Wait, do you have the disk inside? Try taking it out if you have one before shutdown (hold the power button until it starts flashing).

iapetus said:
My replacement also arrived today. Apparently it comes with a full 12-month guarantee again, which is nice. Hopefully the system restore from my PSP will work. :)
That's what they told me over the phone, but the paper that came with the system just said it was 90 days. I need to call them about that.

I cleared up the confusion over my warranty.
Even though it came with a paper saying it had a 90 day warranty, as long as I still have my original receipt for the original hardware I am still under that same one year warranty. If I ever lose that receipt for some reason within the next 90 days I would be under the new 90 day warranty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kyle (in stereo) said:
Don't feel bad.

If Sony's track record is any indication, in about a year, you guys will all be members of one big club.
*sigh*

You don't even understand the issue with PS2, do you?

Unlike, say, XBOX360, PS2 problems were almost all related to the disc drive. Due to a poor design, there were issues with dust build-up and vibration working lose a screw mechanism. In most cases, the hardware was not broken, rather, in need of adjustment and/or cleaning. They've since learned, however.

The PSP was a huge step-up and most have had no problems with it. In the case of PS3, the disc drive is something I would expect to be long lasting as, unlike PS2, it is a VERY expensive drive.

Could something else crop up? Sure. One should not base their expectations on PS2, however. Sony has not repeated their mistakes on that front. The issues they had with PSX were not a problem with PS2, afterall.

f3niks

kyle (in stereo) said:
Don't feel bad.

That's why I feel so much better about that 2 year replacement and service plan i got on it.:D

Haha.

EDIT:
I was sent an email from Sony yesterday asking me to take a survey on the support they gave me over my replacement. I gave them high scores on pretty much everything except for convenience basically because I didn't get my HDD back and it took several days to get a unit back to me.
Perhaps I should cut some slack over my data because it’s my responsibility to do a backup of it and I didn’t. I’m now putting my Oblivion save on a USB memory stick periodically. :)

Cmagus

I too had a similar experience.My first Playstation 3 died out on me as well.First it started getting really hot (hotter than usual my roommate has one and got nowhere near this hot), then games started freezing almost everytime I put one in, eventually it stopped syncing unless I used the cords and finally it just wouldn't turn on.

I contacted Sony and spoke to representitive about getting it replaced.She was very kind and asked me a few questions and then said that she will get them to send out a replacement box the following day. Two days later the box arrived at my house (in Canada) I packed it and the same day someone from ups came by and picked it up and shipped it out.

It took about 5 days and a brand new Playstation 3 arrived at my house.I was incredibly impressed with the service.I also have an Xbox 360 and unfortunately they were much harder to deal with.Whether it be people who can hardly speak english to the absurd fees they want for everything and the shipping costs getting my unit which got the red rings of death fixed cost me alot of money and my refurbrished one now is on it's way out and I don't look forward to the next time I have to deal with them.

ccharla

Regarding Folding -- I think because it doesn't ever hit the BR drive, it's pretty light on the PS3. I just did a 90 data-unit stint (which is like what, maybe... 30 days or something! -- I've had no time to play games lately, other than quickie shit on DS and PSP). I was thinking that eventually my PS3 would explode, but it did fine.

The PS3 seems to be a tank. I may just have good luck though: My original, 9/9/95 PS1 was still working until about a year ago, when we left Mastif's masterpiece Easter Bunny's Big Day on for too long with the PS1 on carpet. My day1 360 has been fine too, although I kicked it over one night and since then it's been noticably louder.

timnich

Does anyone else's PS3 make loud noises when playing discs? I just noticed a while ago that my PS3 sounds like a floppy drive whenever I play DVD and BluRay games. It's pretty loud and unnerving, is my PS3 already in trouble?

Yoboman

kyle (in stereo) said:
Don't feel bad.

considered.jpg

Hopefully, mine isn't dead, but I tried downloading the 1.80 update last night, but couldn't find my USB cable at all and eventually had to turn the console off. When I tried turning it on again, the controller wouldn't connect (probably for obvious reasons), and I didn't get any picture. Am I ****ed, or will it work itself out if I can find that damn cable?

JCBossman

Banned
I think MonoPrice(like 3rd party inkjet cartridge makers) would cover you if there was damage due to their products, but to save yourself the hassle I would agree that a white lie is the order of the day.

Top Bottom