• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 died and I can't believe I'm already telling this story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pain

Banned
Zach Farley's ps4 died.

@maddenbible

He works for EA.
Ouch. So possible problems here are

-HDMI port issues
-Firmware Issues
-Overheating?

Not good, this does seem very widespread. Most of the "bricks" seem to be related to the lack of signal though.

chifanpoe

I wonder if the fan power cable just came unplugged during shipping? Too bad Sony tech support would not walk you through opening it and fixing it yourself. From the tear-down pictures it looks very easy to work on. I would have pushed for it and a free 2 year extended warranty on it.

foxbeldin

Are we gonna get a thread for every ps4 that dies?

Because 1.5Millions preorders * .5% = 7500 threads.

That's gonna be fun...

Gartooth

Oh fuck, I'm putting a launch PS4 away for Christmas but now I'm concerned about it. Im assuming Sony's warranty is 1 year right?

inner-G

Banned
I wonder if the fan power cable just came unplugged during shipping? Too bad Sony tech support would not walk you through opening it and fixing it yourself. From the tear-down pictures it looks very easy to work on. I would have pushed for it and a free 2 year extended warranty on it.
Yeah I wasn't going to fuck with bit and be out $400 for 'tampering' with it. Probably would've been stupid easy to fix though.

chugen

I can only understand PS4 news in Banderas gif form.

iHvyxc7aSetIH.gif

i hope you'll get a new one soon op :/

Downhome

It would be interesting to get all who have had problems to post in this thread letting us know, then have the OP updated with each poster and a description of their issue. Then cross them out as they figure it out or get it fixed.

Krixeus

Are we gonna get a thread for every ps4 that dies?

Because 1.5Millions preorders * .5% = 7500 threads.

That's gonna be fun...

Exactly. Why do people feel the need to start their own threads to air their personal problems? There are already multiple threads regarding the PS4 that people can post their hardware issues. There's no need to clutter up the boards anymore than it already has been.

Saty

Someone should scour the archives and check how many members reported issues with the 360 in its first days.

It's going to sound like a huge issue when everyone with a problem makes a thread. What happens if everyone with a working system makes a thread?

Failures are going to happen.

jbartee

Well I don't believe mine is dead but it might as well be. I turn it on and I get nothing but a black screen. It looks and sounds like it's running normally but it just seems to have some kinda display problem. Tried different cables,ports,TVs but no go.

I'm having this exact problem.

At this point I'm seriously considering opening the system up and trying a repair myself. I'm an electronics engineer so if there's something obvious it could be do-able. Based on other user's reports and my own external inspection I have a strong suspicion that the HDMI connector simply has some cold and/or broken joints on the motherboard.

OTOH, I don't wanna void my warranty and screw myself out of the ability to get a replacement. :/

inner-G

Banned
Exactly. Why do people feel the need to start their own threads to air their personal problems? There are already multiple threads regarding the PS4 that people can post their hardware issues. There's no need to clutter up the boards anymore than it already has been.
Well, they can put them in this thread instead of me posting in a thread about Amazon or something?

RaikuHebi

Banned
While OP's is fucked since the fans don't function at all, Sony have said that the RLOD isn't permanent, and users should just let their consoles cool down and boot again.

Sorry to hear man. I'm going to wait it out a couple of months to get one even though I'm tempted.

I got a huge back log to finished before I jump to next gen.

my first 60GB PS3 had the good ole' "fan not turning on" issue too. or rather, i think the fan would turn on, but it would not 'change gears' so to speak, and ramp up speed to deal with more heat. so after a short while of gaming it would freeze.

i took it to BB and they had plenty of stock available. swapped it on the spot. brought it home, and noticed that when i would play games, after a few minutes i would hear the fan kick in louder.

sorry man.

Moze

Banned
It's going to sound like a huge issue when everyone with a problem makes a thread. What happens if everyone with a working system makes a thread?

Failures are going to happen.

2 major video game sites had faulty systems though. This really does seem like a pretty big problem to me.

I guess we will see if we are overreacting next week when the XB1 comes out

The youtube comments on OP's vid are a war zone right now lol. Nothing like some shitty news about a console to bring back the console warriors.

Mudkips

Banned
I absolutely do not want a PS4 at launch. There are no games I want, and I have plenty of other games to play, and I hate buying launch hardware because of all the bullshit like this.

I failed with the Wii U. I ended up standing in line for hours to get that sweet launch day frustration. In 17 minutes when I go to lunch, I'll probably end up at Best Buy. I honestly hope they're sold out. I managed to avoid going early in this morning, but it's on my way home from work. I doubt I'm strong enough to avoid making that left turn.

inb4 people trying to downpla--
Inb4 "this is widespread" comments.
oh wait

In before Y2Kev regulates.

The youtube comments on OP's vid are a war zone right now lol. Nothing like some shitty news about a console to bring back the console warriors.

Amazingly though, no Amir0x comments yet.

New thread for new news. Someone getting a red light on their PS4 and the fan never spinning is new news to me. Once the launch dust settles there will likely be a dedicated thread for dead units, how to get them replaced, etc., just as we had for other consoles.

cacildo

Thats harsh*. Every new console release show some have problems for a few units

I hope you can get a replacement soon

*i also hope im using the word "harsh" correctly

No, it is the unfortunate side effect of buying electronics.

Yes and no.

All electronics have a failure rate (well all machinery has), but failure rate generally goes down the longer the machine has been in the market as issues are identified and fixed. The failure rate should decrease with time and more experience.

2 major video game sites had faulty systems though. This really does seem like a pretty big problem to me.

And failures are going to happen as well for the XB1. And people will continue to overreact. I mean it sucks for the people this happens too, but this is par for the course when dealing with electronics.

I think we need a thread for all the people with functioning PS4s for perspective.

No offense to the OP, that indeed sucks.

This stuff happens at launch of major hardware, especially something coming in as hot as these new consoles. However, the internet becomes a great place for people to voice their concerns and issues. 5,000-10,000 people online can make a lot of noise, but in actuality they are a small percent of the total pool.

Sucks for those having issues, but it is way too early to say this is a major issue or not. And much of this seems manufacturing related. So it seems consoles are arriving DOA or are fine. Definitely a Schrödinger's cat scenario as someone else put it earlier.

I think at this point its much closer to 10-15% tha 0.4% I havent polled the launch thread but i think 1 in 10 pS4s is a good estimate.

The question is, this is only launch day. Who to say this figure wont increase?

revotron

Exactly.

I'd like to see how the XB1 launch goes. For all we know this sort of stuff happens every launch, it's just we don't get to see/hear about literally every single person who this happens to. This is the first console release where social media is king, word spreads easily and it can definitely feel overwhelming if we've never been able to witness and interact with all the issues normally at launch.

Doesn't seem like an unusual rate of failures so far.

If Sony ships 1 mil consoles and 1% are faulty that's 10,000 potential people complaining on social media about it. Tends to get blown out of proportion.

This happens to pretty much any mass produced electronic device.

Someone should scour the archives and check how many members reported issues with the 360 in its first days.

How is that even relevant though? Your obviously grabbing at straws to make some comparison between failure rates to make this debacle look LESS shitty for Sony. Now, If you be patient and wait a week for xboxone, THAT would be the correct comparison.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Sorry to hear that, my condolences, op.

Man I wish we knew about these issues earlier, I would've cancelled my import from Amazon. If it's faulty, I'm pretty much screwed. :(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This stressed me out all last night, and it's going to be in the back of my mind every time I turn on my PS4. Gotta love hardware launches.

.4% going to be 4000 per million. We are going to hear a lot more about any console not working than workIng fine. I mean how many topics are we going to see saying, "Dammit my PS4 is working great!"

Having this same problem. Gotten the RLOD 8-10 times now, each time after the system has been on anywhere from 2-10 minutes. Gonna let it rest a while and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom