• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 died and I can't believe I'm already telling this story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Sony's copying the 360 playbook to the tee that includes manufacturing faulty systems as well. Hopefully this doesn't become as rampant as the rrod

Welcome to electronics, where faulty systems are an inevitability. Guess who you're NOT hearing reports of faulty systems from? The millions of peoples' whose system works. Of course people who have faulty systems are going to complain. Even if there's 100 complaints, that doesn't make it a significant percentage, or put it outside their expected failure range.

Having this same problem. Gotten the RLOD 8-10 times now, each time after the system has been on anywhere from 2-10 minutes. Gonna let it rest a while and try again.

Unless you're putting somewhere where it's just not getting the ventilation it needs then it's likely broken nothing will fix that. Just call sony or take it back.

Personal estimate based on the amount of people complaining of failures.

In other words, your ass.

cdkee

Banned
Getting worried.

And I say that with a 360 that I bought in 2005, survived RROD, and still works to this day.

Moze

Banned
Exactly.

I'd like to see how the XB1 launch goes. For all we know this sort of stuff happens every launch, it's just we don't get to see/hear about literally every single person who this happens to. This is the first console release where social media is king, word spreads easily and it can definitely feel overwhelming if we've never been able to witness and interact with all the issues normally at launch.

The Wii U launch went pretty well. The only problems with the Wii U at launch were software related.

Baptizer

Neo Member
Oh fuck, I'm putting a launch PS4 away for Christmas but now I'm concerned about it. Im assuming Sony's warranty is 1 year right?

I'm doing the same thing, man!! Ugh. I'm pretty certain it is 1 year (if you bought with Amex card, it's 1 additional year).

Guymelef

.4% going to be 4000 per million. We are going to hear a lot more about any console not working than workIng fine. I mean how many topics are we going to see saying, "Dammit my PS4 is working great!"

This.
I have two Avermedia cards that works perfectly, every time i go to the forums to see if there are updates, etc... i left with the impression that i'm very lucky and all other cards are broken.
This can apply for every product, you "cry" when is broken but when everything is ok you don't need to say it to the world.

inner-G

Banned
Having this same problem. Gotten the RLOD 8-10 times now, each time after the system has been on anywhere from 2-10 minutes. Gonna let it rest a while and try again.
Can you hear the fan? Mine would usually RLoD in like 1-2 minutes though, just on the XMB.

I'm a big fan of the Playstation brand, and I'm loving my Ps4.

That having been said, Sony needs to make right on this one. They should provide the users with broken consoles with a free Ps4 with as little hassle as possible.

cdkee

Banned
Sounds like you've burned out your console luck allotment.

FFF_WM.gif

Yep. Consoles bought a year later never break down.

The processes to build the console won't change for at least a few months.

Either til they research improvements or high number of recalls force changes.

The first 6M or so will be the exact same build quality.

Damaniel

Banned
For every single broken PS4 story I've seen so far, I see dozens of twitch streams of people actively playing and enjoying their console. Imagine how many people are playing and *not* streaming their games (probably most, I assume).

Yes, there are broken units out there, and it's not like there's no precedence for it. Hell, my launch PS3 was broken out of the box. However, we live in a world where Twitter, Facebook and Instagram spread bad news far and wide in an instant, and people with broken consoles are going to be talking about them. As a result, everybody starts to think that most PS4s are having problems. Really, they aren't.

Getting close to reaching critical mass. The worry for Sony, I would think, is that with a influx of failed systems that a tipping point will be reached, primarily in social media. Which will then enter the bloodstream of the main stream, permanently damaging the perception of the PS4 just days before Xbox One is launched.

turnbuckle

Damn, sorry OP. I got my brother's delivered to my office today. His is supposed to be a bday gift in a couple of weeks but I'm gonna tell him he got it tonight. Sort of a precautionary thing, since if something does go bad hopefully it can get replaced by the time his birthday actually hits.

There was a payment error on my battlefield 4 bundle (CC expired) :(. I can update my payment info and have Amazon send me it in the next 2 days but I'm feeling a little hesitant. I really really want to play Resogun though....

Got my PS4 I was so happy...Booted it up for the first time...No video...Retried after unplugging the HDMI and replugging it...It worked for about a min...But then it lost the video image again....Never been able to get that sexy PS logo boot to show again....

Moral of the story. I'm fucking pissed off.

I am lol'ing at all the defenders getting worked up over people posting their launch unit died. Wanting people to not post about their consoles dying isn't going to change a thing, and in fact it would stop Sony from addressing the issue IF it is widespread.
I understand some love Sony to the bone, but if there is a design issue with launch consoles, I want it to be very public since I don't want to be stuck with a ticking timebomb.

neoxman

Neo Member
Sorry to hear bout your console dude.

But as other people have said failure for electronic devices is not all that uncommon.

Hell I got a Nvidia 670 which died on me after a week, then my RMA replacement died of the exact same issue the same day I got it!

Alienous

Got my PS4 I was so happy...Booted it up for the first time...No video...Retried after unplugging the HDMI and replugging it...It worked for about a min...But then it lost the video image again....Never been able to get that sexy PS logo boot to show again....

Moral of the story. I'm fucking pissed off.

No. Not like this.

I understand failure rates, and defective hardware, but day one?

I've seen too many cases of Sony selling inconvenience and disappointment in a box with this PS4 launch.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They are? I've yet to hear the final results of this, seeing as how it has been out for less than 24hrs.

We'll see how hassle free it is in a couple days to a week.

Sony is sending a box to return broken PS4s. Not saying it is going to be next day air or anything but the users will be getting new consoles.

I've seen too many cases of Sony selling inconvenience and disappointment in a box with this PS4 launch.

Haha...jesus.

Sandfox

I'm a big fan of the Playstation brand, and I'm loving my Ps4.

That having been said, Sony needs to make right on this one. They should provide the users with broken consoles with a free Ps4 with as little hassle as possible.

Isn't that what the warranty is for?

No. Not like this.

I understand failure rates, and defective hardware, but day one?

It makes more sense for there to be defective and failure hardware day one then later down the road.

sono

Gold Member
Bad luck op. Dont hold a grudge (unless it happens on the next one).. its just the percentages.

LiK

i'm really curious if it's from a certain batch or not. iirc, some of the PS1s back in the day were affected. my own PS1 had the drive issue but I exchanged it with a store.

I'm not a statistician but if we extrapolate the ~1/10 users on GAF experiencing PS4 failures then can we assume about a 10% failure/busted rated for all shipments? Is that normal for console launches?

bfett9

Neo Member
Ok the Sony Customer Service managers are one of the worst I have every dealt with. They screw up on not overnighting me a box to ship them my console. So today I spend 3 hours on hold waiting to clear things up. I finally get through and their CS manager is refusing to send the box overnight due to a screw up on his end. Seriously Sony this is the worst CS I have ever dealt with.

I do not have the over heating. I have the stupid flashing blue light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvitvoDSWk

Feel bad for OP, and even if his case is amongst a minority, this is still worrying. The attractiveness of a Wii U is steadily increasing for me this holiday season. Hope Sony irons out these kinks (and fires them interns) quickly.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well I don't believe mine is dead but it might as well be. I turn it on and I get nothing but a black screen. It looks and sounds like it's running normally but it just seems to have some kinda display problem. Tried different cables,ports,TVs but no go.

So I just had this exact problem, used the cable that Sony provided on a different HDMI port and boom, good to go. Gonna try a few combinations to see if I can narrow down what the exact issue was and will report back.

Isn't that what the warranty is for?

Indeed it is, HOWEVER getting a new console when this happens is often times a pain in the ass. I also think that there should be special consideration taken with the people who can demonstrate that their system died in less than 24hrs of launch. Perhaps give them PS Plus for a year, or some PS Wallet money.

Zyae

Other than the HDMI port issues, which I've 99% sure is user error, all the failures seem to be caused by different things. Which is totally expected for a mass produced electronic device where most of it's components were sourced from the cheapest possible supplier. Some fans will fail, capacitors will burn out, hard drives will die, but as long as there isn't some design flaw that effects 100% of the consoles, that's all within expectations.

its not user error, its faulty. Theres a piece of metal obstructing the cable

hdmi_port.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
okay ill just take it to this thread then.

PULSATING BLUE LIGHT OF DEATH. PBLOD. P BLOOD. coining the phrase now.

finally got off the phone with Sony.
4-5 weeks till I get my new one back.

way to treat an industry vet. ugh.

edit:

Also, it's a hardware problem. If you can't get it to boot into safe mode (hold down power for 10 sec and wait till you get the double beeps), it has nothing to do with the HDMI port. it's an internal issue they are aware of and request you send it back to them to be fixed.

If your console light turns white, it's likely a cable or connection issue. if it stays blue and pulsates, try safe mode. if it wont boot to safe mode, gotta send it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom