• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 is noisy, yours?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The loudest it gets for me is when playing FFXIV for some reason. Even then I wouldn't call it loud, just more noticeable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, you can certainly hear it when a game is pushing the hardware. The fans do increase in speed and it is more noticeable, but during gameplay, it's not something that sticks out. It's still quieter than, say, a Dreamcast and certainly much much quieter than my PC under load (which is very quiet normally but quite loud during gameplay).

Yea I don't get mine. Sometime when I power it on the Disk drive makes this vibrating noise when it reads the disk, and sometimes it's whisper quiet when it reads it. Idk what to do lol

It's imported from overseas so I think I won't be able to send it to local Sony.

My main hope that it's not faulty hardware, to be honest.

That's nice statistics, also re-inforces the notion that I'm so unlucky with hardware. It never asked me to shut the unit down so should I feel safe that my APU's life expectancy is not getting shorter because of it?

Mine has done exactly what you're experiencing since launch day. I've not yet had it shutdown or even freeze or any problem actually. (Don't take that as an 'its all ok'... simply my experience with it) Same as the guy you've quoted as well, out of 5 friends, I'm the only one with a noisy one (1 out of 6 in other words)

sja_626

Mine was extremely loud all the time without a disk in the drive. After hearing some friend's quiet PS4s I rang Sony and they agreed to replace it no questions asked. This was 2 days ago. Hopefully the replacement will be silent like most seem to be.

Hasney

Nope and for the past couple of weeks, I've even had a minimum of 5 hours straight of Final Fantasy XIV per day.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
After several hours of FFXIV, mine sounds like a god damn jet engine.

#launchconsoleproblems

Judging by some responses here, I may send it to Sony for replacement but I don't think I could do 3 weeks without my PS4 right now lol. How long are our warrenties if I wanted to wait this out a bit longer?

GavinUK86

I've noticed over the last month that the fans in my PS4 seem to come on full speed more often, which is when it's at it's loudest, and kicking out some serious heat. Starting to wonder if theres something wrong with it. After reading about people having issues, maybe i'm just being paranoid.

for all you guys with a noisy fan. put your ps4 somewhere open like on the table where it can breath easily and see what happens. don't put it in a boxed environment.

I'm sure that would help, but I'd like to keep this thing in the living room with all my other consoles and just sitting out somewhere is not an option. What I'm thinking about doing is either:

A) moving the PS4 to the room on the other side of the wall the entertainment center is on and drilling some holes through the wall for the cables. That way it can get as loud as it wants and I won't be so annoyed with it.

B) Moving the PS4 down into one of the closed cabinets but completely removing the back. Since the cabinet is closed when not in use, the ugly wire nest will be hidden and since the PS4 vents out the back, the hot air can escape more easily.

Guess you didn't own an xbox 360 then.

As long as you install the game to the hard drive, I've found the 360 slim is actually a pretty quiet console. If you're playing straight off the disc, it's bad.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The only complaint I have for the ps4 thus far is the loud noise it makes and all the bright ass lights that don't go off.

As long as my console doesn't break I'm good though.

Seik

Banned
I only tried Trials and Resogun so far yesterday.

Sounds fine to me, nothing compared to my phat PS3 running TLoU.

I guess it'll be louder when I'll try a bigger gun like Killzone or something like that.

My PS4 is very loud and it's because I have it standing vertical so I get reliable BT reception (a problem I don't have with PS3/Wii U). It is in a media cabinet so I don't hear it, but it concerns me from a reliability standpoint.

TalonJH

There is no such thing as a quiet PS4. People have different tolerance levels when it comes to things. All PS4's are designed the same.

But not all are built equally...

IDK, I agree with Ovek. The way some people sound, theirs is like a jet engines. I haven't had any problems with mine. My PC is 10 times as loud and when my PS4 is on you wouldn't even notice it with the celling fan on. I usually have to look at the light on top if I've left it on for something. Compared to my Fat PS4 or white 360(even at idle) are louder than my PS4 playing any game.

hesido

There is no such thing as a quiet PS4. People have different tolerance levels when it comes to things. All PS4's are designed the same.

I don't think tolerance levels can explain the difference between "jet engine" and "whisper quiet". After all, people compare with their previous experience / other people's PS4's, and we even have Ovek directly comparing two of his own PS4's..

GavinUK86

After a week of moving my console from vertical to horizontal, different places on my desk, in the open etc, it's still noisy as a jet engine and hot as hell. Going to try to return it.

JPS Kai

Mine is fairly noisy when I first turn it on from standby and stays that way for about ten minutes or so.

One issue I have is a flicker on the bottom 60% of the screen almost like static. It happens every few seconds and goes away once I change my inputs from and back to the ps4. It does it with different cables and hdmi ports but my other systems don't do anything like it.

After a week of moving my console from vertical to horizontal, different places on my desk, in the open etc, it's still noisy as a jet engine and hot as hell. Going to try to return it.

Post back again once you get your new PS4 and mention if its still noisy please. I thought about calling sony and trying to get a replacement.

Pimpbaa

Depends on the game. It's mostly in games with an unlocked framerate. The Dynasty Warriors game on PS4 REALLY makes my fan go crazy. And that game doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly fancy. Hope their next game is a bit more optimized (oh and gets rid of that blur that makes the camera look like it has a case of nearsightedness).

low-G

My Xbox One is literally perfectly silent (like iPhone silent), and my PS4 is second in quietness only to Xbox One (definitely can be heard by people if all other noise-creating devices are completely off).

A little scary to hear that some PS4s make so much noise. That would suck to own. Wonder why...

Jedi2016

Mine's dead quiet. When I first got it, I kept looking to see if the light was on. The disc spins up for the first minute or so, but once that spins down, you'd have to get right next to it to even tell if it's turned on.

It's horizontal. I've heard horizontal was better.

I have noticed in comparison to the PS3, the PS4's fans, in the way that they're more open etc. collect a lot more dust than the PS3. I can see it building up around the front and right side fans, and I dust the console and the surrounding area a lot. With my PS3, I can only see a tiny bit of dust around the fans by comparison.

Perhaps some of the fans are partially blocked with dust, so the system goes into overdrive to keep up?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Mine's dead quiet. When I first got it, I kept looking to see if the light was on. The disc spins up for the first minute or so, but once that spins down, you'd have to get right next to it to even tell if it's turned on.

Mine was like that, but started overheating during certain games. Eventually it would just overheat after a few minutes of being on. I have never heard it do the jet engine fan thing except once, when it went nuts during Pinball Arcade. I'm currently awaiting a coffin from Sony to send it in for repairs so I can play MLB The Show. :(

III-V

I can honestly say that I have never noticed the fans.

Possibly its a thing where certain parts came from X mfr and other came from Y

Jedi2016

So it is noisy when first turned on, installing? Mine is noisy at first, semi-jet engine... then mouse fart quiet after that.
No, not noisy, just loud enough that you can hear it if there's no other sound coming out of the TV. As soon as the game/movie/whatever starts, you can't hear it. It's more just a subtle vibration of the disc moving than anything I would remotely define as "noisy". The sound of the disc spinning up and down is actually louder than the sound of it just sitting there spinning.

Mine was like that, but started overheating during certain games. Eventually it would just overheat after a few minutes of being on.
No, the fan's definitely blowing, you can hear it if you get within a couple feet of the system (like bending down to swap out a disc or something, my couch is ten feet away), and feel it if you put your hand behind it. I've got many hours in Infamous, I think that would have killed it if there were a cooling problem.

Banned
My PS4 is inaudible except when it's really hot and I focus on it and not the action. I use it horizontally.

Ivan

Mine is very good. It does speed up at times , but it's nothing problematic. I really like how it behaves.

Meier

Infamous makes it sound like a jet engine after like 10 minutes. Just stays like that forever while it's being played. I would say worse than the original Xbox 360 or at least on par.

(Horizontal)

oatmeal

Banned
I'm digital only and for some reason The Show kicks the fans into gear sometimes.

Not PS3 levels, but still pretty loud.

Pimpbaa

My PS4 is only noisy when reading a disk, which happens uncontrollably for some reason. Ejecting the disk works perfectly.

If the game is already installed, it stops spinning pretty soon after the game is launched. Really no need to eject the disk.

Handy Fake

Super quiet, and literally no problems whatsoever, including updates and a HD upgrade.

We seem to luck out on PS's. Got a launchday, backwards compatible, top size PS3 phat and it's still going strong. Never had a single issue with it. It's a right bruiser.

EDIT: For a short time we did think it was excessively noisy, the PS4. Then we realised it was the VirginMedia HD Recorder box sat next to it that was making the bloody racket.

Mine was super loud until I took it completely out of the entertainment unit and set it on top for 100% uninhibited air flow. Now, it's still not as quiet as the XB1, but MUCH better.

Aces&Eights

One thing I learned to do is just keep the system low to the ground. My tv sits on a square end table with a metal brace below it (it runs inside the table and holds the legs together). I put a nice piece of finished wood across the brace and set my system on it. So it's about 4 inches off the carpet but on a nice piece of wood. Basically, it comes down to physics. Heat rises. Even in an open entertainment center heat from all other devices rises up and heats up your console. The way I have mine now set up means all heat from the unit goes right up, it's open on all 4 sides and it's safely off the carpet and nothing is below it to have extra ambient heat hit it.

Edit: do a heat test. Take a thermometer and place it in one of the upper shelves in your entertainment center or above your tv. Now put it down on the floor. There is usually a 5-10 degree temp difference. It's actually quite amazing how much heat gets generated from a reciever, cable box and tv. Especially, if you have a plasma.

My Xbox One is literally perfectly silent (like iPhone silent), and my PS4 is second in quietness only to Xbox One (definitely can be heard by people if all other noise-creating devices are completely off).

A little scary to hear that some PS4s make so much noise. That would suck to own. Wonder why...

This is exactly my experience. My Xbox One is inaudible and my PS4 is really silent too. It is quiet enough that I prefer it to the Xbox One for media stuff (dont pay for live gold). Bottom line - i'm very happy with its noise levels given how much better the hardware is than the Xbox One and how much better its form factor is. Is it as quiet? no. It is quiet enough? absolutely.

Valanarro

I've only noticed mine get really loud when playing battlefield 4, and even then, only on the naval strike maps. Using the official vertical stand, and bought it a couple weeks after launch

Fnord

The only sound mine makes is from discs spinning up, and I believe most of that noise to be vibrations due to the console not being completely flat (dat wobble). I tucked the end of the hand strap from my move controller underneath it to see if that takes care of most of that noise, but haven't spun up a disc since doing it. Other than that, she's whisper silent.

liunli

Neo Member
My ps4 is is extremely noisy. In fact my PC at full load with all fans on high is quieter. I have them close so I can tell. The ps4 blows massive heat from the back as we'll, wtf...feels like is overheating

Top Bottom