• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 is noisy, yours?

fade_

Mine is quiet, can't even tell its on most the time. My friends on the other hand gets loud during gameplay. He also had the controller shoulder button sticking while I didn't. Mine crashes after restart and rebuilds database during firmware updates his doesn't. YMMV with these systems it seems. Both are launch systems btw.

dolabla

Only sometimes. But it's not real loud. The fans will just kick up for a little while, then slow back down. It's usually while only playing the more demanding games (Killzone etc).

Taker34

Banned
Mine sounds like a chainsaw when it's reading a disc. Fortunately that only takes a couple of seconds and then the system uses the HDD. Otherwise even after hours it's just as quiet as my 360s and PS3 slim.

mine makes noise but not that loud, only when starting the system with a game inside to load it makes a noise but after that its just a medium hummmmmmm

olimpia84

My PS4 starts off really quiet, it takes about 40 minutes of gameplay before the fans kick and when they do this thing is the loudest thing ever. Comparing it to a jet engine is not too far off to be honest.
For those saying that this happens on disc games it's not true, I have BF4 digitally and the fans are loud as hell.

It wasn't at first, but lately it has been. Especially when there's a disc inside, but FFXIV digital still ends up making it loud. I even have it out in the open so it gets plenty of air.

For some reason standby can be loud as well. I should send it in to Sony.

Tinzo

Banned
for all you guys with a noisy fan. put your ps4 somewhere open like on the table where it can breath easily and see what happens. don't put it in a boxed environment.

Mine's so quiet I constantly get scared the fans aren't working at all and I have to put my hands next to the vents to prove to myself that they are.

~~Hasan~~

the ps4 has 4 fan levels.

1- when you turn the ps4, there is no sound of the fan. i believe its not working at this level
2- when you play not heavy game, the fan will kick in. you won't hear it much unless you are close to the system ( your ear around the system)
3- level 3 when you play heavy games like KZ or most importantly battle field 4. if you are 2 meters away from the tv and you put the tv on mute, you will be able to hear the fan. not super loud.
4- level 4 is when you play the same game but on vertical. this is very very loud fan when it kicks on top gear. this you will able to hear even if your TV is not on mute.

my ps4 never go beyond level 3. i only tested level 4 once.

i found out that the xbox one system is way quitter than the ps4. " not including the stupid power supply of the xbox one because that shit is loud when the system is on a stand by"

grimmiq

I get extremely paranoid about heat and fan noise ever since my PC from 4-5 years ago overheated and died (Not un-salvageable, but thought better to start fresh.). My PS4's fan rarely kicks in, but it does get quite hot..though I have nothing to really compare it to, top is very warm and vents are very hot. I can frequently hear the fans at a low hum, but I think that's more because I sit around 1m away from the console (TV is further away ;p)

CLEEK

My PS4 is noticeably louder than my PS3 Slim*, but quieter than the OG PS3 and 360 (Obviously. My car engine is quieter than my 360).

*Apart from when I'm playing TLOU or DS2. Those games must really push the PS3 as the fans kick in big time.

impact

Banned
Mine was noisy while playing Infamous, then the first night I got the click of death. Decided to leave it unplugged all night with the HDD out and checked back the next day and it worked fine. Haven't had any issues since but I haven't really played it at all due to the lack of games. I'm sure it'll break again at the end of the year when I actually have a reason to turn it on.

hesido

Maybe those with quite systems can take photos of their setups, while us with noisy ones also should do the same, then we may see a pattern. I'll take a photo first time I can.

Philippo

Tried putting mine on horizontal and even with a taxing game like inFamous is much much quieter. Problem is i don't have a place to put it horizontal, i'll have to think of something ahahah

Schnozberry

I keep the vents on mine clean and I have it in a pretty open space with good ventilation around it. Never had an issue with noise. If you have a dusty house, make sure your vents aren't obstructed.

Bliddo

Mine is not loud, but it could be quieter... under stress I'ìd say it's as loud as a 360slim, so it's not too bad.

grimmiq

I often get single clicking or tapping sounds that I'm assuming is the changing temperature? It'll be a single click/tap, then 20-30secs, single tap, and will continue for 1-2 minutes after the PS4 is powered off.

mindsale

Mine has never elevated beyond a VERY faint whir (much quieter than the stupid hum my XBone's power brick makes), and I think I left it on actively for two days as I chainsmoked Infamous.

HOWEVER, my PS4 will occasionally (1 in 20 return-from-standbys) have no audio. I'll need to unplug the HDMI and plug it back into the television or PS4 to get audio to return. What's up with that? Has anyone has the same issue?

FeiRR

Banned
for all you guys with a noisy fan. put your ps4 somewhere open like on the table where it can breath easily and see what happens. don't put it in a boxed environment.
This won't help if thermal paste on the APU is incorrectly distributed, which I suspect is why mine is so noisy. It would be easy to fix if not for the warranty...

Ovek

7Member7
Got two PS4s on launch. The first one is silent and I really mean silent the fan never really spins up even after hours of playing Infamous.

The second one is fucking awful and the fan sounds like is grinding on something when you switch the thing on, then the fan spins up and stays at I would guess 70-80% of its maximum speed as it can get even fucking louder when playing games. Oh and putting it vertical or horizontal does nothing.

And you know what the kicker is in all this? Sony won't fix it as its (and I'm quoting verbatim) "Working correctly". They blame the Blu-Ray drive noise even if a disc isn't even in the drive and refuse to acknowledge the fact that I have another PS4 sitting in another room that as far as I'm aware is working perfectly. Lets not even get in to the hole phantom disc eject thing and the fact the drive got locked in to a eject cycle that required me to unplug the thing from the mains.

Guess I will trade the Sony certified "working" model when Sony release an updated version of the PS4 or just sell the piece of shit.

Ovek

7Member7
HOWEVER, my PS4 will occasionally (1 in 20 return-from-standbys) have no audio. I'll need to unplug the HDMI and plug it back into the television or PS4 to get audio to return. What's up with that? Has anyone has the same issue?

HDCP handshake issue maybe... try switching it off with the new firmware.

My ps4 only gets loud when it's a hot day. Sometimes it's very quite but other times it makes a bit of noise. I guess it's also dependent on what you're playing.

As someone posted above, a few times I put it on and there was no audio so I just restarted the console and it was fine.

Tinzo

Banned
This won't help if thermal paste on the APU is incorrectly distributed, which I suspect is why mine is so noisy. It would be easy to fix if not for the warranty...

i was trying to say if your ps4 is kept in a cool surounding, it's going to cool better and the fan doesn't need to work hard, therefore you won't hear it.

wasn't thermal paste the reason for YOLD in ps3?
i really hope we don't have that problem again.

Got two PS4s on launch. The first one is silent and I really mean silent the fan never really spins up even after hours of playing Infamous.

The second one is fucking awful and the fan sounds like is grinding on something when you switch the thing on, then the fan spins up and stays at I would guess 70-80% of its maximum speed as it can get even fucking louder when playing games. Oh and putting it vertical or horizontal does nothing.

And you know what the kicker is in all this? Sony won't fix it as its (and I'm quoting verbatim) "Working correctly". They blame the Blu-Ray drive noise even if a disc isn't even in the drive and refuse to acknowledge the fact that I have another PS4 sitting in another room that as far as I'm aware is working perfectly. Lets not even get in to the hole phantom disc eject thing and the fact the drive got locked in to a eject cycle that required me to unplug the thing from the mains.

Guess I will trade the Sony certified "working" model when Sony release an updated version of the PS4 or just sell the piece of shit.

Why dont you just report it as not working, say it keeps shutting down etc, over exaggerate the situation

i would be interested to know those of which have a loud PS4 of which country they are in i.e the outside temperature currently etc.

im holding off to see what reports are of peoples this summer, as im NOT going through what i went through with the PS3 in the heat,

First time I ever noticed the fan was when playing infamous and even then it was no worse than a ps3 slim. Keeping it horizontal.

Edit: UK, as KnockOneOff may have a point on country specific issues.

i would be interested to know those of which have a loud PS4 of which country they are in i.e the outside temperature currently etc.

im holding off to see what reports are of peoples this summer, as im NOT going through what i went through with the PS3 in the heat,

Summer finished a couple of months ago but during that period my ps4 was very noisy, I didn't have have on the really hot days as I was afraid it'll overheat or crap out.

My ps4 is sitting on my tv unit and it has a lot of breathing space...and I dust every now and then :p.

Summer finished a couple of months ago but during that period my ps4 was very noisy, I didn't have have on the really hot days as I was afraid it'll overheat or crap out.

My ps4 is sitting on my tv unit and it has a lot of breathing space...and I dust every now and then :p.

Thanks man, interesting

Loomba

Originally mine was whisper quiet but it has gotten a little louder over the last month or so, but I think it's just dust. Give it a good hoover and it'll be good I think.

Whats the best way to clean it?

It seems I'm one of those unlucky people with a loud PS4. On some posts around the net, there are people with inaudible PS4's and there are those with jet engines.

After 10 minutes of Don't Starve, my PS4 becomes loud enough for me to adjust the volume of my TV. It's not in a complete enclosure, it's in a shelf with hopefully sufficient space around, The air around is not hot so I could say the surrounding air flow is not shabby, just the air coming out of the vents is hottish.

Have I got a faulty PS4? Is there a secret menu I can check on the GPU temp or maybe control fan speed?

i said this on launch about mine but got dismissed by most people

nearly 6 months on and i can say without a doubt this is the loudest of the ps consoles
and the shitty build quality (not the hardware) of the console really starts to show through

The Material used for the console is a dust collector
and the recessed vent space seems to suck the whole lot in meaning you have to vacuum the slots every 2 days

i hope the ps4 slim has a quieter fan and has a better solution for cooling slots

Mine is about as loud as my PS3 slim. Its not too bad and far from a deal breaker.

What im more worried about is heat. It feels like the thing could heat my bedroom from behind.

I know its designed to expel heat from the back, but it still feels a bit too warm for my liking.

Overall, outside the odd crash and boot to safe mode, it seems fine. I may just trade it for a new model just before the warranty is up.

LegoArmo

Mine is particularly quiet, once a game is installed. I have it on top of my TV stand next to my TV because all the shelves underneath are full, and I wouldn't even notice it was on without that strip of light.

Damn.. i feel bad for a lot of you! Mine is launch day, horizontal in shelf under tv (no door or glass) and it's whisper quiet.

That said... I'm all digital... and when i use the drive for GameFly games i do notice that the BR drive is pretty loud while installing.

Ovek

7Member7
Why dont you just report it as not working, say it keeps shutting down etc, over exaggerate the situation

I could but I just can't be arsed phoning them again and jumping through the diagnostic hoops.

It's not super critical as I do have another one... I might take the jet edition one apart though, just to see how badly the thermal paste has been applied.

Top Bottom