• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My roommate's Xbox is eating up all our data and we're gonna go over

I got a warning the other day from Comcast that I reached 75% of the data cap. So I start looking into it and each month it's been increasing more and more, and the biggest culprit is the Xbox. That is using 54% of the house's internet at this point. Meanwhile my smart TV that I do most of my TV streaming on is only 7%.

I was thinking, you know, I got the PS5 last week and downloaded a few games, but that's still small fry to what the Xbox is doing all day long. It's even using data overnight while this guy is sleeping. So I actually paused internet going to the Xbox overnight.

I know when I bring it up to him he'll be all pissed off and weird about it. Things are awkward between us and we don't really talk. I don't know the best way to handle the situation. At this rate though, I'm gonna end up getting charged an extra $100 a month for overages. This guy always has his TV, computer, and phone going, I can hear three different audio tracks going at once. So this guy is just blowing through data like it's going out of style.

Anyways my question to you folks is is there something he could be doing on the Xbox that's causing the data drain, something like a Folding @ Home kind of thing? That's what I'm wondering is going on to be using all this data while he's sleeping. I mean there's only so many games he could possibly be downloading.

CalmYe

Neo Member
You guys still have data caps? We don't have them in our 3rd world country anymore. Tell him to pay up or tell him get a separate internet connection OP. Kindness has its limits too.
EDIT: He might be playing a lot of MP games and they get constant updates and could have set auto-update on so even if he may not playing certain games anymore, they may get updated in the background.

Last edited:
Are you paying for it alone? Tell him to stfu if he complains.

He just pays me one set rate a month that is meant to include everything. We never had a problem going near the cap before this month though.

You guys still have data caps? We don't have them in our 3rd world country anymore. Tell him to pay up or tell him get a separate internet connection OP. Kindness has its limits too.
EDIT: He might be playing a lot of MP games and they get constant updates and could have set auto-update on so even if he may not playing certain games anymore, they may get updated in the background.

Yeah he plays CoD and I always know when he's playing because he's constantly whining and calling people dicks.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If he wants the data, he pays,

That simple. Either he learns to control himself, or he covers the privilege. This is not a big ask of any civilized person, and if he blows up and can’t handle it (likely, given people, I’m sad to say), there’s always someone looking for a place to stay.

My guess on the Xbox is GamePass. Trying out lots of games, and discarding them, without sticking to a single one.

CalmYe

Neo Member
He just pays me one set rate a month that is meant to include everything. We never had a problem going near the cap before this month though.

Yeah he plays CoD and I always know when he's playing because he's constantly whining and calling people dicks.
I don't really know much about CoD and how much data it consumes per day or week though I'm aware that game's size is basically a meme at this point. About 300 gigs or something for complete edition . I really think you should confront him and decide on a new data plan (preferably unlimited) or get a separate net connection if possible. Why tolerate such behaviour? I am sure even you'll be using the internet more now to experience that Cerny magic.

Thaedolus

Option A: he reduces his usage

Option B: he pays for more data

If those two choices piss him off that's his problem, because I'm presuming this is an adult you're dealing with?

Mistake

That’s an incredible amount of data. You should call comcast to stop the service when it reaches the limit, or set your router to the amount of your plan. You can also impose restrictions based on ip addresses on your network, although they need to be static

Last edited:

Fbh

Not sure if there's much you can do other than talking to him.
In your situation I'd probably just show him that he is using the vast majority of the data and tell him that if you reach the cap he can either pay the extra $100 himself or there's just no internet until the next month.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I got a warning the other day from Comcast that I reached 75% of the data cap. So I start looking into it and each month it's been increasing more and more, and the biggest culprit is the Xbox. That is using 54% of the house's internet at this point. Meanwhile my smart TV that I do most of my TV streaming on is only 7%.

I was thinking, you know, I got the PS5 last week and downloaded a few games, but that's still small fry to what the Xbox is doing all day long. It's even using data overnight while this guy is sleeping. So I actually paused internet going to the Xbox overnight.

I know when I bring it up to him he'll be all pissed off and weird about it. Things are awkward between us and we don't really talk. I don't know the best way to handle the situation. At this rate though, I'm gonna end up getting charged an extra $100 a month for overages. This guy always has his TV, computer, and phone going, I can hear three different audio tracks going at once. So this guy is just blowing through data like it's going out of style.

Anyways my question to you folks is is there something he could be doing on the Xbox that's causing the data drain, something like a Folding @ Home kind of thing? That's what I'm wondering is going on to be using all this data while he's sleeping. I mean there's only so many games he could possibly be downloading.

Just let him pay all the stuff that is too much. If he dont want to, get another roommate

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Can you pay extra for more data?

For me i can oay 10 for 50 GB or 15 for unlimited. Saved me a few times.

Just tell him the xbox is pushing you over and he either has to stop internet or pay.

cormack12

Gold Member
Whats your data cap in GB? He might be streaming video via an xbox app at which point he will just switch to TV right?

Bottom line, throttle traffic for that ip outside core hours to stupidly slow. It will take him longer to download more.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Xfinity has an addon that's $50 extra for unlimited data. I used that and I was way over 2TB each month. Add that shit on.

Tesseract

Banned
Kill him in his sleep and the data will be all yours.
giphy.gif

xrnzaaas

Geez, people, is it really cool to make fun of others because of having data caps? I'm pretty sure all of them would want unlimited and faster Internet if it was supported in their location and if they could afford it.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Did he get the XSX? I am at my limit as well but it's because I bought the XSX and PS5 so I downloaded a ton of games.

John Day

First and foremost, I am commenting just to mention that you are BADASS for remembering Folding@Home. Bless you!

And secondly, because, yeah, if you already figured out that he is the culprit, and you pay for the internet, you should have a talk with him. Seems he’s abusing that, and shit, $100 more a month?? Fuck him.

MayauMiao

Go for an even cheaper Internet service so your home Internet gets throttled real quick.

Meanwhile, secretly get another data plan on mobile for yourself without telling him.

Soodanim

Communication is the best way forward. If 54% of the house’s data was used by that one device then explain that you did it as an emergency measure until you figure out how to move forward.

Approach him from a point of confusion and wanting his help to understand it rather than accusatory and you’re more likely to get good results.

He's coming off as one of those moronic dude-bros that we see in high school movies. The type whose routine consists of frozen burritos, working out at the gym, drinking cheap beer and shouting "wooh!" all the time.

Tschumi

Reminds me of a time when i stayed at a long stay air bnb, blew through her 100gb cap with steam downloads within a week and had to pay the fine.. at least, i offered to, but she paid and asked me to reduce my use - probably a smart thing to do, or i might have just blown it all a second time lol.. can't remember all that i downloaded but it was a fair chunk.. i also spilt Coke on my Alienware 17 there (thankfully it works fine to this day) and ate greasy roast chicken in my bedroom every night.

Yep, i was a pretty awful guest.

Edit: the one triumph of that time i spent there was that i listened through my entire collection of The Dark Tower audiobooks.

As a piece de resistance, i left a comment saying she was wonderful but i believe in rinsing soap off dishes before putting them in the drying wrack - something she didn't do.

-Arcadia- -Arcadia- say true and thank them for it; if he wants to use that much data, show him how much the xbox ate and tell him to pay the bill. And tell him you're getting close.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know when I bring it up to him he'll be all pissed off and weird about it. Things are awkward between us and we don't really talk.

You should never be made to feel uncomfortable in your own home, he needs to go. Tell the next roommate that they need to get their own internet connection to avoid problems with data caps unless they're cool with being on a cap budget.

I hope you're splitting the utilities never pay for that shit all on your own. You need to make it clear to these people before they move in that they need to help keep costs down and if they're not cool with that they can fuck off and find another place.

Top Bottom