• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my tv just broke and im depressed as shit

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That's sucks I guess. Years ago when I was broke and pathetic, all I had in the way of entertainment was my old laptop. I legit had a breakdown when my stupid ass spilled soup on it and destroyed it. I had no tv, a very limited data plan, and no money to go out and entertain myself. Shit was life shattering to me at the time.

Luminaire

This is terrible advice.

^.

^^.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Fuck the best buy credit card and their zero interest bullshit.

I say this as someone who used to get screamed at about interest charges/promotions expiring on them.

robotrock

Banned
^.

^^.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Fuck the best buy credit card and their zero interest bullshit.

I say this as someone who used to get screamed at about interest charges/promotions expiring on them.
How do they scam you?

you're not blame space

What a time to be alive

image.php

I laughed!

Luminaire

How do they scam you?

Not so much a scam but more of muddying up the details. Read the fine print, talk to the customer service teams about the interest on promotions, etc. Basically - don't stack multiple promotions, as the one that is expiring first will get all of your payments towards it until it is paid off. If I remember right, it went something like...

Purchase A) $1000 purchase on 12 months no interest in Jan.
Purchase B) $500 purchase on 6 months no interest 3 months later, in Apr. (9mo left on first promo)
Purchase C) $200 on 6 months no intestest 3 months later, July. (5mo left on first promo)

Any and all payments go towards the No Interest Promotion that is expiring the soonest. So if you were making payments towards the Purchase A) $1k but got another promotion for 6 months no interest (B), you're now paying towards that (B) and payments on (A) stop. Pay that off (B) in 6 months and you go back to the original (A), but you've had no payments on it for the past few months. If you purchase another thing at 6 months (C) no interest but still have $700 left to pay off from that initial $1,000 (A) but you just got 6 months no interest on $200 (C)....the original promotion only has 5 months left, versus the new one at 6 months (C). If you only pay minimums, you're paying towards that $700 (A) remaining without even touching your new $200 (C) one. Finally, you wipe out the 1yr no interest promo (A)...and have one month to pay off $200 (C) on your third no interest promo. At least, that's how it was when I was there. When you make a payment in store, you never hear anything about your promotions. Nothing on a printout. You're supposed to check your statement, which most people never did. They'd just see their "balance due" on the screen and make a payment. You could check it online as well, but it only shows you the first soonest-expiring promotion. You have to dig a bit to check the others.

People would stack promos up and make them cut into each other, and then get mega assmad and scream at customer service reps because they got hundreds in interest due to a promotion they didn't pay attention to. Many people thought you'd pay off the lowest amount first.. I've had people yell and swear and throw things and have personally been hit by an Xbox 360, grabbed over the counter, had cards thrown at me, etc. If you know what you're doing and are fully aware of the cards and all their "promos", you can manage it pretty well and get points and all that jazz.

So, my prior post isn't "don't ever do this i got scammed!" and more a dramatic "don't do this for an impulse purchase on something you can't afford." Perhaps I was over-dramatic. Hopefully that makes sense though.

Now you can use that old ass tv as a door stop..shiiiit the one u got off ya homie on cl is prob better anyway.

if it ain't stolen

I kid

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you buying a new one if you sent the current one back for warranty repairs? Won't you just end up with an extra TV later? I don't understand the logistics of this.
because hes living paycheck to paycheck. without wasting money on illogical shit this isnt easy to maintain.

Seijuro

Not sure buying another tv when you are already strapped for cash and will get the old one back soon is a good idea OP.

Mendrox

It's stupid, but let's not think an extra 125 is going to lift anyone out of poverty.

Ha, 125 here 125 there etc over a year you get some nice savings but many are too consumed by entertainment. But I dont know OPs Situation so I wont hold that against him. The start is the hardest part.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
this tcl roku tv i just bought like 2 months ago just fucking broke on me yesterday. looked up the warranty and sent it back to today after being on the phone for like 3 hours (shoulda bought the amazon warranty smh).

now i have no tv, im depressed as shit and my dick feelin extra small today

getting my check this friday, curious if there's any tv's i can get for kinda cheap ($200-$250 range) that's decent. help ya boy out :<

If you live in Seattle I will give you a free Vizio smart tv.

Okay so without a TV your dick is feeling extra small. Does that mean it's gonna feel extra big when you get another TV? And like, DOUBLY extra big when you get your other TV back from the warranty people?

Could be worse OP. I had a 1500 dollar TV stolen from my house a few weeks ago.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

This happened a few years back to my neighbors. Huge, expensive TV stolen right out of their house. In broad daylight. Apparently they had left the back door unlocked so the thieves just waltzed right in when they were out getting groceries.

Top Bottom