• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

harSon

Banned
The system does not have to red ring every single start up, mine only did every so often (I'd say a few times out of 15 or so attempts) and I have absolutely zero problems with Microsoft.

FoeHammer

My fourth console just went down the toilet, but it gave me a nice big FU before it went down. I checked my COD4 disc and it has been chewed to hell and back by the DVD drive. Nice. I also checked a couple of my other games and they look pretty bad as well.

I have a Wii and PS3 so I'm still in the game, but Microsoft's customer support is a fucking joke. Two days ago they told me they couldn't take my repair order because their database was down. No joke. Then yesterday they told me they wouldn't replace any disc damaged by the 360. Fantastic.

I love the 360's library and online setup, but the customer support can suck it.

Dunlop

FoeHammer said:
I love the 360's library and online setup, but the customer support can suck it.

Weird, maybe it's better in Canada due to less demand (although we do call the same number). I spoke with a guy, mentioned I was getting some DRE's, said np he'll send me a coffin. Received in 2 days and had my 360 back in 7 days. Pretty pain free.

Now let's see if some DRE's now turn into an eventual RRod with my "new" 360...

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
harSon said:
The system does not have to red ring every single start up, mine only did every so often (I'd say a few times out of 15 or so attempts) and I have absolutely zero problems with Microsoft.

I'm not leaving anything to chance. And it was fun driving my system to suicide.

FoeHammer

Dunlop said:
Weird, maybe it's better in Canada due to less demand (although we do call the same number). I spoke with a guy, mentioned I was getting some DRE's, said np he'll send me a coffin. Received in 2 days and had my 360 back in 7 days. Pretty pain free.

Now let's see if some DRE's now turn into an eventual RRod with my "new" 360...

Well, that sounds like Heaven compared to my combined (4) experiences with 360 support. The last time I sent my box in for repair, it took nearly 4 weeks in total turnaround time to get my "repaired" box back.

FoeHammer said:
My fourth console just went down the toilet, but it gave me a nice big FU before it went down. I checked my COD4 disc and it has been chewed to hell and back by the DVD drive. Nice. I also checked a couple of my other games and they look pretty bad as well.

I have a Wii and PS3 so I'm still in the game, but Microsoft's customer support is a fucking joke. Two days ago they told me they couldn't take my repair order because their database was down. No joke. Then yesterday they told me they wouldn't replace any disc damaged by the 360. Fantastic.

Just file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It only takes a couple of minutes to do, and once word hits Microsoft they will contact you ASAP and go out of their way to try and smooth their BBB rating out.

FoeHammer

Zack-Morris said:
Just file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It only takes a couple of minutes to do, and once word hits Microsoft they will contact you ASAP and go out of their way to try and smooth their BBB rating out.

That's not a bad idea. I hate to have to file a complaint with the BBB, but I'm not sure what else to do.

FoeHammer said:
That's not a bad idea. I hate to have to file a complaint with the BBB, but I'm not sure what else to do.

I hated doing it as well, but once I had to start spending more time dealing with Xbox "customer support" than using the device, it seemed inevitable.

mildewproduction

My 01-15-06 Xbox gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago. For about 2 months it was having trouble with the disc drive getting stuck, and not opening, unless I "tapped" it open. Then a used copy of Forza was getting disc errors and not playing. Then all my games started getting disc errors when I would put the disc in and I would have to eject and try again.

Finally got the red rings though. Called last Thursday and told customer service. They had me unplug the power, then plug it back in and try to power up again. Still red rings. They shipped my coffin. I didn't get the coffin until last Wednesday. I had the tracking number so when they delivered it I ran home, put it in the coffin and shipped it out same day. I've been watching it on UPS.com and they just delivered it today.

The repair center is in Texas, and I live in Oregon. I think it's shit that it took 2 weeks for the coffin to get to me and for the 360 to get back to them. Who knows how long it will take to fix then ship to me.

At least I have a Wii and can play Super Mario Galaxy. Oh and the game that finally killed my 360? I played Bioshock for about 2 hours the night before. DAMN YOU RYAN!!!!

Pimpbaa

Finally got my replacement halo edition 360. Seems brand new but it's not a falcon revision. I'm gonna keep my standard falcon 360 instead. Gonna ebay my halo edition.

Nameless

One interesting thing I forgot to state earlier, is this time they also asked me to pack in the power supply and power cable along with my 360. As I said, this is the third time I'm going through this and they didn't ask me to do this previously. Could it be they're sending me a 65mn Falcon unit?

womp

FoeHammer said:

The BBB is a joke, don't waste your time. They can't do squat. All they can do is collect information and let you know how a company ranks in terms of satisfaction overall.

Yes, useless.

SickBoy

Hmm... mysteriously today at service.xbox.com my system (which was always listed as having "no pending repairs) went back under warranty and changed serial numbers. I guess I'm getting a different system back :/ I'll have to deal with DRM after all...

On the plus side, looks like it'll get here sooner than later. Hopefully it's a Falcon (how could it not be, lol?)

For the record, I paid for my non-RROD repair (hence the re-upping of the warranty).

womp said:
The BBB is a joke, don't waste your time. They can't do squat. All they can do is collect information and let you know how a company ranks in terms of satisfaction overall.

Yes, useless.

I would normally agree with you, as I find the BBB to be kind of worthless, but MS contacted me as soon as I filed it, and my problems were dealt with much more quickly than they probably would have.

Syb

Question: My unit has a BenQ drive. Is the noise (eg) that it makes at startup normal? It sounds as though the laser is readjusting itself and occurs with or without a disc in the drive. Oh well at least this unit doesnt grind and scratch up discs.

Mobius 1

So here I am gearing up for a weekend of gaming after being busy with work for a month.

Time to get the fucking THIRD replacement.

Where do I sign for the class action suit again?

My DVD drive died on Sunday, started making a horrible grinding sound while I was playing VF 5. Turned it off and back on, the drives dead, won't recognize any discs. Luckily it didn't scratch my game. Only had this system for 3 months, I had a 360 prior to this but it RROD'd on me, so once I got it back I sold it (this was before the 3 year warranty extension). The first one lasted 9 months. Couldn't resist the 360's fall lineup though so I took the plunge once again. Guess I never learn.

Ponn

Banned
Coming up on the two week mark since I sent in. Better fucking ship back this week in time for Culdcept Saga this next weekend.

this is ridiculous lol.. my 3rd bit the dust ..it baffles me how big this thread is too. MS you took obvious short cuts but what gets me is that my last system i got back was scratched up on top and wasnt even the same system i send you guys. Your worse then a 2nd rate pawn shop ... atleast give us back a fucking brand new system for the pain..atleast for us that have done 2nd and 3rd tours

Crovax33

My 360 elite froze after a while of playing from day 1 of receiving it in the mail, but I never once got RRoD. Microsoft still replaced the console free of charge.

I would have raised hell if they hadn't and I think they could tell that because it took me 3-4 sessions of calling tech support trying new things to isolate the problem before I got so fed up that I just told them everything I tried and that I was over it and wanted it replaced. Wasn't a problem...

I'm not going to fall into the trap of saying "Microsoft is awesome!" when they screwed me with a non-working out-of-the-box unit, but I was happy when they sent me a brand new console back.

womp

Zack-Morris said:
I would normally agree with you, as I find the BBB to be kind of worthless, but MS contacted me as soon as I filed it, and my problems were dealt with much more quickly than they probably would have.

Then that is awesome, probably a coincedence though. ;)

mildewproduction

So MS got my 360 on Wednesday and now Friday they have shipped it back to me. According to the website it's the same serial number, so yeah for no DRM problems.

I'm surprised at how quickly they "fixed" it. Let's see if it stays fixed.

harSon

Banned
Well Microsoft sucks ass. Decided to hook up the Xbox 360 they sent me for repairs and the fucking sync button doesn't work. I can't fucking sync my Wireless controllers. I'm about to go off on who ever the fuck answers my support call.

LJ11

harSon said:
Well Microsoft sucks ass. Decided to hook up the Xbox 360 they sent me for repairs and the fucking sync button doesn't work. I can't fucking sync my Wireless controllers. I'm about to go off on who ever the fuck answers my support call.

Same thing happened to me when I booted up refurb number two. A few restarts/resyncs and it worked.

harSon

Banned
LJ11 said:
Same thing happened to me when I booted up refurb number two. A few restarts/resyncs and it worked.

How did you fix it? Isn't the the Xbox 360 ring supposed to swirl when you push the button? I've tried syncing a good 10 or so times with 4 different controllers that I'm 100% sure work with no success. If I have to send my Xbox 360 in again I'm going to be pretty fucking pissed.

Brad

I sent my 360 away last Friday and got it back this Thursday. I had to send it away because the controllers didn't sync to the console at all. -_-

harSon

Banned
Brad said:
I sent my 360 away last Friday and got it back this Thursday. I had to send it away because the controllers didn't sync to the console at all. -_-

Fuck.....

I'm about to cuss out a Microsoft support guy :)

harSon

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ, Microsoft are a bunch of incompetent mother fuckers. Was on the phone for nearly a god damn hour explaining to their non-english speaking support group that my repaired* Xbox 360 does not sync with controllers. It's as if they refuse to believe that their shit stain of a product can be faulty. After 1 hour of yelling, bitching, and cussing I get 1 month of Xbox Live! Fuck you Microsoft. Worst thing about this is I can't sell the fucking shit brick because the games are good. You better announce some pretty fucking magnificent shit for 2008 Microsoft because I've just about had it.

Ponn

Banned
harSon said:
Jesus fucking Christ, Microsoft are a bunch of incompetent mother fuckers. Was on the phone for nearly a god damn hour explaining to their non-english speaking support group that my repaired* Xbox 360 does not sync with controllers. It's as if they refuse to believe that their shit stain of a product can be faulty. After 1 hour of yelling, bitching, and cussing I get 1 month of Xbox Live! Fuck you Microsoft. Worst thing about this is I can't sell the fucking shit brick because the games are good. You better announce some pretty fucking magnificent shit for 2008 Microsoft because I've just about had it.

And do you have to send it back or did you finally figure out how to get them to sync?

harSon

Banned
Ponn01 said:
And do you have to send it back or did you finally figure out how to get them to sync?

I have to send it in. I've tried 4 different controllers with fresh batteries in them with no success. All 4 controllers sync to my friends Xbox 360 perfectly and in my house... so it's neither the controllers or interference. I'm going to miss out on the English release of Lost Odyssey :(

Ponn

Banned
harSon said:
I have to send it in. I've tried 4 different controllers with fresh batteries in them with no success. All 4 controllers sync to my friends Xbox 360 perfectly and in my house... so it's neither the controllers or interference. I'm going to miss out on the English release of Lost Odyssey :(

That sucks. Should call back and get a free game too then since it was their fuck up.

Dunlop

harSon said:

Does one of your buddies have the battery pack? We constantly have sync issues when we have our friday night drunken halo3 matches (yes I'm pretty drunnk right now...) as we have 4 360's in the basement with 8 wireless controllers. Put in a battery pack and the charge cable and that should sync you up right away.

RSLAEV

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but what's the consensus as to PS3 reliability? Our Launch 360 is dying (takes on average a dozen startups to get it working) and if the PS3 is sturdier I think I'd rather ditch the 360 and get one of those.

Hell most of the good games are multiplatform anyway, I just want a goddamn system that doesn't break!

harSon

Banned
Dunlop said:
Does one of your buddies have the battery pack? We constantly have sync issues when we have our friday night drunken halo3 matches (yes I'm pretty drunnk right now...) as we have 4 360's in the basement with 8 wireless controllers. Put in a battery pack and the charge cable and that should sync you up right away.

I wasn't aware that it helped sync a console, I'll try that today :)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Over 3 months now and I still have not had my X Box live Arcade games restored to the state they were before my 360 went in (meaning, my wife could play them too). Assholes.

Mrbob

RSLAEV said:
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but what's the consensus as to PS3 reliability? Our Launch 360 is dying (takes on average a dozen startups to get it working) and if the PS3 is sturdier I think I'd rather ditch the 360 and get one of those.

Hell most of the good games are multiplatform anyway, I just want a goddamn system that doesn't break!

PS3 reliability is extremely good. It doesn't mean it is 100 percent perfect, but the system is built like a tank and there are not nearly as many issues with PS3s as there are 360s.

shantyman said:
Over 3 months now and I still have not had my X Box live Arcade games restored to the state they were before my 360 went in (meaning, my wife could play them too). Assholes.
I forget his name... but there's a poster in this thread that will escalate this for you if you contact him. You may need to search back a few pages.

Set my 360 up last night at my sister's house for some Rock Band with friends and it red ringed. Bad timing, that. :( No warning or anything this time. Called support this morning, was on the phone for under 15 minutes, coffin en route. What's the turnaround time these days? 3-4 weeks?

Also, does anyone know what the current CostCo return policy is? Curious if I could pick up a 'loaner' for a few weeks then return it, but I'm not sure what their current policy is since it changed recently.

For the record:
Console 1: Launch - July 2006 (RROD)
Console 2: July 2006 - February 2008 (RROD)
Console 3: ???

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Well, looks like my PAL 360 just died this morning. Was going to play some Burnout online and it just freezes during the logo animation. No RROD yet, but it's dead. It was a launch model that had been fixed once right after launch. I almost never used it because I didn't trust a repair console, but since EA always region locks their fucking games I had to use that one instead of my JP Falcon system. So I blame EA for this death!
Actually I don't blame EA the slightest, I blame MS for this horrible piece of crap of a hardware.

Schrade

Bunnie, famous hacker who hacked the original Xbox, made a blog post a while back and has pictures of what the solder joints look like if they're bad.

Xbox360 RROD (Again)
A while back I posted that I was looking for an RROD Xbox360; I actually sent it off to MEFAS to get digested for solder joint inspection on the GPU through a process called “dye and pry”. In this process, the motherboard is flooded with red ink, and then the GPU is mechanically pried off the board. The red ink flows into any of the tiny cracks in the solder balls, and at least in theory, when you pry the GPU off the cracked regions will shear first so you will be left with visible red spots at the points of failure.

Good joint:
14bomlv.jpg

Bad joint:
jim2ih.jpg

Cornballer said:
Set my 360 up last night at my sister's house for some Rock Band with friends and it red ringed. Bad timing, that. :( No warning or anything this time. Called support this morning, was on the phone for under 15 minutes, coffin en route. What's the turnaround time these days? 3-4 weeks?

Also, does anyone know what the current CostCo return policy is? Curious if I could pick up a 'loaner' for a few weeks then return it, but I'm not sure what their current policy is since it changed recently.

For the record:
Console 1: Launch - July 2006 (RROD)
Console 2: July 2006 - February 2008 (RROD)
Console 3: ???

Console 4: Profit!!!!

Shawn128

Well mine just bit the dust this morning.

Would someone kindly explain the DRM situation to me? I'm assuming I won't have to send in my hard drive.

If I don't, can I just plug in my hard drive and continue to play my XBLA games? If I do, can I just sign into the new system and redownload my games?

Guy Legend

RSLAEV said:

The reliability difference is night and day. Simply put, the PS3 is reliable and the XB360 isn't. Did you even had to ask this?

cbox

Mine died last night during an intensive ranked game of halo. Packaged up and sent back to costco for a full refund...

There goes a year of saved games unfortunately :(

Top Bottom