• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N++ |OT| Time is money

MizzouRah

N+ was one of my favorite games on XBLA.

When I heard that N++ would be coming to Playstation 4, I was pumped and it (along with MLB The Show and the presumed sequel to Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars) was one of the driving reasons to purchase the console back at launch.

Yesterday when I signed into the PSN store I got cold feet and balked at the $20 price point. There was just something that seemed a little too high about it, despite my prior enthusiasm and I held off the purchase.

Last night, after reading this thread, I was upset to see that the game wasn't selling well and hadn't received many reviews in the media despite being the follow-up for a critically loved game. I bit the bullet, purchased the game before bed, and played through the first 5 episodes.

I love this game already. You can really see the effort and attention to detail that went into it just from the menu screens and options. I hope that the sales make a recovery, but I don't see that happening at this price point. The market is showing that people are unaware of the game and unwilling to purchase at the current price point. It would be excellent if the team could 'relaunch' the game at $15 with a stronger media push to the review outlets, steamers (blegh), and provide a reward incentive (something small like an exclusive skin package) to the early adopters as a thank you/ apology for lowering the price quickly ala Nintendo Ambassador Program. It seems that getting >33% more people to purchase at $15 would be a better decision than hoping the game sells enough at $20.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Given I'm a platformer junkie, and love this style (the hours I've sunk into the OlliOlli games need not be mentioned), I'll throw the AU$26.96 required at it, and pop a review up on Rocket Chainsaw, as soon as I can :)

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot get over how annoyed I am by the music is in this game.

For starters, I am not a techno guy. And since the entire soundtrack is techno... that's not great for me, personally. However, even if I liked techno, I certainly wouldn't have chosen it for a game where players are often attempting the same 30-second level 300+ times, getting more and more frustrated by each death. Yeah, let's lay some repetitive, grinding, atonal music over that.

But worst of all? Many of the songs sound exactly like sound effects from the game, oftentimes confusing the gameplay and directly causing misjumps and deaths! For me, it's the single most baffling design decision I've witnessed over the past few years.

Here's the most egregious example. Does this not sound exactly like a countdown timer to anyone else?

https://soundcloud.com/origamisound/volor-flex-outlaw#t=1:40

Whyyyyyy? I know I can change the songs as they come up, but the bad design decision kills me every time this song comes on.

haha, "techno".

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm sorry, but I simply cannot get over how annoyed I am by the music is in this game.

For starters, I am not a techno guy. And since the entire soundtrack is techno... that's not great for me, personally. However, even if I liked techno, I certainly wouldn't have chosen it for a game where players are often attempting the same 30-second level 300+ times, getting more and more frustrated by each death. Yeah, let's lay some repetitive, grinding, atonal music over that.

But worst of all? Many of the songs sound exactly like sound effects from the game, oftentimes confusing the gameplay and directly causing misjumps and deaths! For me, it's the single most baffling design decision I've witnessed over the past few years.

Here's the most egregious example. Does this not sound exactly like a countdown timer to anyone else?

Whyyyyyy? I know I can change the songs as they come up, but the bad design decision kills me every time this song comes on.
This post sucks. The music is fucking awesome and I'm not a 'techno' guy. I think the music choices blend perfectly with the design of the entire game. It's like it all blends seamlessly together.

But hey, opinions and whatnot. I gotcha.

Apoc29

It's possible that visibility on the Internet is an issue due to the game's name. You can't hashtag N++ on Twitter. You can't find N++ on Metacritic using its built-in search, or most search engines other than Google. The name fits the game well but it's kind of a nightmare for marketing.

The success of Super Meat Boy proves that there is an audience for hardcore platformers, and N++ deserves to sit at the top of the pantheon of hardcore platformers. How to communicate that exactly to the PS4 audience is tricky, and I don't have the answer for it. But I wish you guys the best of luck and hope that you can get the game on other platforms ASAP as that's probably your best bet for success.

mare

Neo Member
. Speaking as a youtuber it's pretty annoying to get a game less than a week before launch.

Frustratingly, this one was out of our hands -- because the game was available for pre-order, Sony's system wouldn't let us have download codes until a day or two before launch.

This is apparently a limitation they're working to fix, and we knew this going into the promotion; I still think it was the right decision, but I know you're probably not the only one who was annoyed.. sorry!

paulogy

For what it's worth, I think your game looks great. Amazing, even. I'm not one to be turned off by retro graphics (if anything, it's perhaps the opposite ;-). For me personally, it comes down to a few factors:

1. I'm not a huge fan of tough-as-nails platformers. It's something I'd have to play myself (as a demo or at someone's house) to know if I'd like to own it myself.

2. I have a huge backlog, and I'm patient. It's hard to know what games will come to PS+ later, but this was one I was willing to imagine coming to PS+ at some point down the road.

3. I'm playing more games on Vita now than anything else (and I don't own a PS4, yet). I realize resources constrained you to PS4, but this feels like a game that would be right at home on Vita.

I don't know how many other people are like me, but those were factors for me.

mare

Neo Member
N+ was one of my favorite games on XBLA.

When I heard that N++ would be coming to Playstation 4, I was pumped and it (along with MLB The Show and the presumed sequel to Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars) was one of the driving reasons to purchase the console back at launch.

Yesterday when I signed into the PSN store I got cold feet and balked at the $20 price point. There was just something that seemed a little too high about it, despite my prior enthusiasm and I held off the purchase.

Last night, after reading this thread, I was upset to see that the game wasn't selling well and hadn't received many reviews in the media despite being the follow-up for a critically loved game. I bit the bullet, purchased the game before bed, and played through the first 5 episodes.

I love this game already. You can really see the effort and attention to detail that went into it just from the menu screens and options. I hope that the sales make a recovery, but I don't see that happening at this price point. The market is showing that people are unaware of the game and unwilling to purchase at the current price point. It would be excellent if the team could 'relaunch' the game at $15 with a stronger media push to the review outlets, steamers (blegh), and provide a reward incentive (something small like an exclusive skin package) to the early adopters as a thank you/ apology for lowering the price quickly ala Nintendo Ambassador Program. It seems that getting >33% more people to purchase at $15 would be a better decision than hoping the game sells enough at $20.

Thank you *so* much! Our fans from N+ were what allowed us to be able to make N++, and we really appreciate your thoughtfulness and support, thank you for trusting us and taking the plunge with N++ :)

I think at this point we would never want to undercut the price, because that would be a slap in the face to everyone who was generous enough to buy the game early-on. We feel very strongly that we want to reward anyone who believed in us enough to buy the game, by making sure they get at least the same value, if not better value (as we add things and increase the price). We're still trying to figure out how to properly approach this though.

I agree that we have a major problem trying to communicate the game's value and quality, honestly this has always been something we've struggled with -- screenshots just don't really sell the game very well; we tried with this one to make a concerted effort to make it more visually interesting/appealing, with the colours and vector graphics, but I can definitely appreciate that the average gamer with no knowledge of the series could very easily dismiss it because it looks quite plain (even if we think the graphics are perfect wrt the game design).

I'm hopeful that once we have a demo that people can play, they'll be able to better appreciate the value and understand the price.

mare

Neo Member
Given I'm a platformer junkie, and love this style (the hours I've sunk into the OlliOlli games need not be mentioned), I'll throw the AU$26.96 required at it, and pop a review up on Rocket Chainsaw, as soon as I can :)

Thank you so much!

Actually, a random aside is that the OlliOlli developers helped us with the music licensing -- we didn't know what to do and they very kindly explained the process to us, it was pretty awesome of them :)

mare

Neo Member
It's possible that visibility on the Internet is an issue due to the game's name. You can't hashtag N++ on Twitter. You can't find N++ on Metacritic using its built-in search, or most search engines other than Google. The name fits the game well but it's kind of a nightmare for marketing.

The success of Super Meat Boy proves that there is an audience for hardcore platformers, and N++ deserves to sit at the top of the pantheon of hardcore platformers. How to communicate that exactly to the PS4 audience is tricky, and I don't have the answer for it. But I wish you guys the best of luck and hope that you can get the game on other platforms ASAP as that's probably your best bet for success.

It's actually even worse -- for the first week the game was on sale, searching for "N" in Sony's store didn't show the game!

(What was *really* frustrating was that, up until we launched, we were the top result when searching for "N" -- we have always had problems with search since the original N, and so this is something we would check in the store every few months during development, just to reassure ourselves. After launch when we saw it disappear we heard from the store that they didn't even know how it had ever shown up! Doh..)

We're thinking of making an informational video parody inspired by this sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ revealing how to access N++ by inputting a special "secret code" into their PS4: left left left left, X, up, right, down down down down down, X, X, X, X, etc. (i.e step-by-step input sequence which navigates to the store and then searches for and selects N++, etc... maybe this idea is only funny to us though!)

We definitely agree that there is an audience -- we know for a fact that there are literally hundreds of thousands of N/N+ fans out there -- we're just struggling to figure out how to reach them. I'm hopeful that we can solve this problem though, if there's one thing we're good at it's trying again and again and again ;)

mare

Neo Member
For what it's worth, I think your game looks great. Amazing, even. I'm not one to be turned off by retro graphics (if anything, it's perhaps the opposite ;-). For me personally, it comes down to a few factors:

1. I'm not a huge fan of tough-as-nails platformers. It's something I'd have to play myself (as a demo or at someone's house) to know if I'd like to own it myself.

2. I have a huge backlog, and I'm patient. It's hard to know what games will come to PS+ later, but this was one I was willing to imagine coming to PS+ at some point down the road.

3. I'm playing more games on Vita now than anything else (and I don't own a PS4, yet). I realize resources constrained you to PS4, but this feels like a game that would be right at home on Vita.

I don't know how many other people are like me, but those were factors for me.

Thanks for your honesty, it's good feedback -- we definitely hope to have a demo out soon so that you can see whether you like it or not, I'm sorry we weren't able to get this ready in time for launch.

We're still hopeful that a Vita port will be possible, especially since we'd like to bring the game to Japan (where Vita is much more popular than PS4).

Unfortunately we're not sure if we can get the numbers to work re: PS+, we are looking into re-engineering the database (because millions of free copies of the game would currently make us lose a lot of money due to server costs) but that won't happen for a long time, if ever.

MizzouRah

Thank you *so* much! Our fans from N+ were what allowed us to be able to make N++, and we really appreciate your thoughtfulness and support, thank you for trusting us and taking the plunge with N++ :)

I think at this point we would never want to undercut the price, because that would be a slap in the face to everyone who was generous enough to buy the game early-on. We feel very strongly that we want to reward anyone who believed in us enough to buy the game, by making sure they get at least the same value, if not better value (as we add things and increase the price). We're still trying to figure out how to properly approach this though.

I agree that we have a major problem trying to communicate the game's value and quality, honestly this has always been something we've struggled with -- screenshots just don't really sell the game very well; we tried with this one to make a concerted effort to make it more visually interesting/appealing, with the colours and vector graphics, but I can definitely appreciate that the average gamer with no knowledge of the series could very easily dismiss it because it looks quite plain (even if we think the graphics are perfect wrt the game design).

I'm hopeful that once we have a demo that people can play, they'll be able to better appreciate the value and understand the price.

Would you consider releasing something free to early adopters and then additional content as DLC instead rather than raising the price? It seems that increasing the price when releasing the new content would be counterintuitive to procuring new sales when the game is currently tracking low at $20 despite abundance of available content at launch.

I think many of the customers who bit at the current price point are probably long-time fans of the series willing to accept the $20 price point because they've awaited the game. They're likely just glad that it's finally released and wouldn't feel jilted. On the upside, you wouldn't lose potential sales.

paulogy

We definitely agree that there is an audience -- we know for a fact that there are literally hundreds of thousands of N/N+ fans out there -- we're just struggling to figure out how to reach them. I'm hopeful that we can solve this problem though, if there's one thing we're good at it's trying again and again and again ;)

Kind of a joke but not really a joke: how about starting a Kickstarter to market the game? The game already exists, it's done, but contributing to your marketing Kickstarter fund would help you make more ads, pay for booths, host tournaments, have a tour bus, buy a giant N++ blimp etc. And unlike most campaigns, many of the tiers could net people a copy of the full game, available immediately. Also, I think some media outlets might run a story about a Kickstarter for a game that's already complete, as that's sort of counter-intuitive/unique. It gives them an opportunity to educate people about the importance of marketing on game sales. And of course Kickstarters are a great way to get the word out already anyway.

Chris R

So you released
N on PC
N+ on 360, PSP and DS
N++ on PS4

Each time you are starting from scratch, bringing very little of the old fanbase with you.

I loved N and played it so much between classes in College. N+ was ok, I couldn't stand the online achievements though. I'll buy N++ some time in the future, the initial price just made it not an impulse buy the day it came out since I'm trying to clear down my backlog.

MizzouRah

Kind of a joke but not really a joke: how about starting a Kickstarter to market the game? The game already exists, it's done, but contributing to your marketing Kickstarter fund would help you make more ads, pay for booths, host tournaments, have a tour bus, buy a giant N++ blimp etc. And unlike most campaigns, many of the tiers could net people a copy of the full game, available immediately. Also, I think some media outlets might run a story about a Kickstarter for a game that's already complete, as that's sort of counter-intuitive/unique. And of course Kickstarters are a great way to get the word out already anyway.

^^^ Not a bad idea ^^^ Any publicity is good publicity at this point.

MW_Jimmy

I have literally no idea on how easy this would be to implement, but could another version of N++ be put onto the store without the legacy levels? This would allow you to lower the price, without impacting those that have already bought.

Some people feel that there is almost too much, and this focussing of content might help. Just a thought.

I have literally no idea on how easy this would be to implement, but could another version of N++ be put onto the store without the legacy levels? This would allow you to lower the price, without impacting those that have already bought.

I wonder how true that is. One of the defining factors in the price is said to be the "cost-per-user" of the lightning-quick leaderboards and server stuff, so I don't see how removing 500 or so levels will affect that much when there's an infinite amount in the user-created section.

MW_Jimmy

I wonder how true that is. One of the defining factors in the price is said to be the "cost-per-user" of the lightning-quick leaderboards and server stuff, so I don't see how removing 500 or so levels will affect that much when there's an infinite amount in the user-created section.

It was a suggestion of how to perhaps lower the price for customers without having an impact on the early adopters. I wasn't really looking at it from a developer perspective.

I think it could be a successful move if delivered at the same time as a demo. Obviously only Metanet know how costly such an offering would be.

kwisc

Neo Member
But, it's hard for us to stomach pandering to people who by definition are ignorant.. if we did that, we might as well make the sort of game that anyone can beat without any effort or engagement! We think it's a lot better to let the ignorant people eventually learn and grow, rather than cater to them so that they remain ignorant forever. Of course, this means that many will remain ignorant and forever unaware of the pleasures of N++, but that's their loss as much as ours.

Cool idea. The game isn't selling well, so let's call ppl who don't like it/don't want to buy it ignorats... Not to mention most of your comment sounds like "My game is perfect and amazing, why ppl don't see it? We spend so much time. It has to be awesome." I understand you can be confident person, but srsly?

Now i will try to explain few things:
  1. The amout of time/money spend on the development doesn't matter. Some people do something for 20 years and the final result still can be bad.
  2. When you sell sequel of your game on a single platform which wasn’t even main platform for your first game, don’t expect big sales. Not to mention where is Vita version of the game? This game is perfect for this console (but not for 20$....) :>
  3. Title like “n++” is simply terrible. It can be good for small flash game, but you won’t sell it if ppl can’t even find it. I just tried to find it on metacritic and faild miserably.
  4. No matter how much money you have spent, if game looks like small flash game ppl will think about it as small flash game and won’t pay for it 20$.
  5. Game are not only about gameplay. If you want sell something it must looks good or be original. Your game isn’t original and for most ppl don’t look good. These days there are rly hundreds of great games available for players. Making good game is not enough to sell it.
  6. Big publishers don’t spend millions of dollars on adverts for no reason. You probably won’t sell your game if you have no marketing plan or luck. This is how world works. Deal with it.
  7. In games world size doesn’t matter. 80% of players won’t even finish your game so nobody cares if there are 100 or 10000 levels. What’s matter most is quality.

IMO this game’s failure and development of Broken Age are perfect example why publishers and producers are important and paid a lot. Maybe you know something about game desing but you how absolutely no idea how to sell games and what ppl expect from them. If you only want to create good games, make small flash games and share them for free. If you want to earn money, first learn how to do it or listen to experts. Crying on NeoGAF won’t help you much.
FYI I am big fun of 2d platformers and would probably love your game but 1)I am minority 2)even I won’t pay 20$ for it :>

Sorry for my English. I am not native but after reading this topic I had to answer ;)

It was a suggestion of how to perhaps lower the price for customers without having an impact on the early adopters. I wasn't really looking at it from a developer perspective.

I think it could be a successful move if delivered at the same time as a demo. Obviously only Metanet know how costly such an offering would be.

I just mean that's why they've said they can't afford to put the game on PS+, and they can't afford to significantly reduce it in sales. So reducing the number of levels probably can't afford them the ability to reduce the price of the game.

baconcow

Title like “n++” is simply terrible. It can be good for small flash game, but you won’t sell it if ppl can’t even find it. I just tried to find it on metacritic and faild miserably

I agree with this point. I also had a difficult time finding references to it online. Instead, I found many results for notepad++, also commonly called n++.

About the price, we realize that most people dismiss platformers out of hand, but we feel that N++ is truly something special; we spent a *lot* of money making it (just licensing the soundtrack alone was an investment) and we wanted people to see it for what it is: a premium product. We simply couldn't afford to sell it for $10, as it is we're selling it for a lot less than we think it's worth.

Sadly I agree that it's a big turn-off for people who aren't familiar with the game, who don't see things from our perspective.

But, it's hard for us to stomach pandering to people who by definition are ignorant.. if we did that, we might as well make the sort of game that anyone can beat without any effort or engagement! We think it's a lot better to let the ignorant people eventually learn and grow, rather than cater to them so that they remain ignorant forever. Of course, this means that many will remain ignorant and forever unaware of the pleasures of N++, but that's their loss as much as ours.

That's not how it works. You can set your price but, because the public doesn't agree with it doesn't make them ignorant. It's the other way around. They determine what it's worth in the end, not you. It's unfortunate but, that's the reality of the economy.

I would say the absence on portable consoles definitely hurts sales. I played the predecessors on PSP and DS, and it just does not feel like a big screen game to me.

Try to get it released on Vita at least, attach rate there is very high.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Cool idea. The game isn't selling well, so let's call ppl who don't like it/don't want to buy it ignorats... Not to mention most of your comment sounds like "My game is perfect and amazing, why ppl don't see it? We spend so much time. It has to be awesome." I understand you can be confident person, but srsly?

*List*

IMO this game’s failure and development of Broken Age are perfect example why publishers and producers are important and paid a lot. Maybe you know something about game desing but you how absolutely no idea how to sell games and what ppl expect from them. If you only want to create good games, make small flash games and share them for free. If you want to earn money, first learn how to do it or listen to experts. Crying on NeoGAF won’t help you much.
FYI I am big fun of 2d platformers and would probably love your game but 1)I am minority 2)even I won’t pay 20$ for it :>

Sorry for my English. I am not native but after reading this topic I had to answer ;)
I...I don't even know how to address this post. It really kind of boggles my mind.

EPbIuSP.jpg

😆

MrMette

It's actually even worse -- for the first week the game was on sale, searching for "N" in Sony's store didn't show the game!

(What was *really* frustrating was that, up until we launched, we were the top result when searching for "N" -- we have always had problems with search since the original N, and so this is something we would check in the store every few months during development, just to reassure ourselves. After launch when we saw it disappear we heard from the store that they didn't even know how it had ever shown up! Doh..)

We're thinking of making an informational video parody inspired by this sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ revealing how to access N++ by inputting a special "secret code" into their PS4: left left left left, X, up, right, down down down down down, X, X, X, X, etc. (i.e step-by-step input sequence which navigates to the store and then searches for and selects N++, etc... maybe this idea is only funny to us though!)

Unfortunately in the EU store on the PS4 itself it still does not show by searching for N. Only if you scroll down a lot (alphabetically). There is a short selection of games with an N in the name, but N itself does not show on top of the list (which is crazy).

On the website it works fine.

I am really hoping you get a lot more games sold, you guys deserve it. It is a great game!

BTA

I just want to say that it's really neat to see a dev be so open about this part of releasing a game and why you did certain things! That being said, time to talk out of my ass:

I'm someone who played N a decent amount and then N+ with friends sometimes (I don't own a 360). I'll own a PS4 in less than a month, and in theory I'd be interested in buying this (and would be tempted already on Vita). But I probably won't be at $20 for one big reason.

2360 levels is not at all a selling point for me. I'm not going to be good enough at this game to play all those levels, and even if I was able to become that good, that seems like too big of a time commitment given how many other games are coming out now (which I understand was not the case a few weeks ago). Essentially, though I know I'm simplifying things quite a bit here, I'm going to be paying for a lot of content that I'm not going to be able to play. That's not say that I think having to become good at the game to play hard levels is a problem, and I think it's awesome that you guys were able to make that many levels, but if we're saying "this is worth $20 because of this selling point", and I know I'll only experience a fraction of that, it's hard to justify the cost. If it was, say, $10 even for half the levels and had additional level packs, I'd definitely be more inclined to give the base game a shot and then feel more comfortable dropping money on the packs even if I only completed a portion of them. I recognize that not everyone thinks about this the same way, but that's the issue I personally have here, I guess.

I'd also say that I'm worried about how you might price the game after that additional content update if you were really considering $30 for the game as is until recently. Maybe the sales have changed that plan a little, but I don't see that working well for similar reasons.

BurningNad

Yeah I actually bought this game a few days after release for $20 and even though I am a huge Super Meat Boy fan (and platformers in general), I just feel like I wasted $10 bucks on this. It's fun and all but like the above poster said, those 2,000+ levels aren't a selling point to me... The gameplay isn't fun enough to keep me playing through everything.

The fact that the price is going up later on is just silly to me, as well. Games are supposed to go down in price after release, not up. Sell the new content separately if you want, but raising the price for this will doom the game imo.

MrMette

Yeah I actually bought this game a few days after release for $20 and even though I am a huge Super Meat Boy fan (and platformers in general), I just feel like I wasted $10 bucks on this. It's fun and all but like the above poster said, those 2,000+ levels aren't a selling point to me... The gameplay isn't fun enough to keep me playing through everything.

The fact that the price is going up later on is just silly to me, as well. Games are supposed to go down in price after release, not up. Sell the new content separately if you want, but raising the price for this will doom the game imo.

I probably will not finish the game either (although I love it), just because I am not good enough to finish all the levels (but I am not at the point that I can't finish any more levels). I have however already 18+ hours (gameplay only, so without menu time) so imo it is more then worth the price.

There are plenty of games (AAA included) which don't get that much gameplay per euro/dollar/pound/whatever.

cyba89

2360 levels is not at all a selling point for me. I'm not going to be good enough at this game to play all those levels,

The difficulty curve is about the same as in the other N-games. So even without having Ninja skills this game offers a ton of content for you. It's not like there are 150 levels for normal players and the other 2000 are for experts only.

and even if I was able to become that good, that seems like too big of a time commitment given how many other games are coming out now (which I understand was not the case a few weeks ago).

I don't understand this reasoning. N++ is a game you can (and actually are supposed to) keep coming back to for a long time. You are able to play this for more than two weeks, you know?
There will be droughts were not so many games are coming out, but there will always be some new N++ levels to finish for quite some time.
It also works really good in short bursts while being committed to other games.

XaosWolf

These last page of posts seem to indicate that a demo is definitely the way to go, which can hopefully help lead to a Steam release later, and selling it piecemeal sounds like it would mess with their server setup.

N++ is well worth the 20 price in terms of quality and quantity, and not finishing all the levels is fine considering not all 2000+ are Solo. They are also a lot easier when you're only going for the exit in each level.

To top it all off, the difficulty is gradual enough to not be a threat to newcomers either.

I'm still kinda baffled by the "$15 is fine, $20 is way too much" mentality and definitely don't agree with the "I'll wait for it to be on PS+" mentality.

I'm still kinda baffled by the "$15 is fine, $20 is way too much" mentality and definitely don't agree with the "I'll wait for it to be on PS+" mentality.

I've been trying to think of a polite way to say this for a day or so now. I get that everyone has different means and expectations and whatnot, but thinking $20 is too much for a game is baffling to me. $10 or $20 might as well be the same thing. If I think a game is worth purchasing, I purchase it.

pompidu

Just came to say that me and my buddy play this coop all the time and this game is fucking awesome. People really should play this, it wasn't whaf I was expecting. Also suiciding your partner right before he lands that perfect jump is fucking funny.

I'm still kinda baffled by the "$15 is fine, $20 is way too much" mentality

There's a lot of competition these days so it's perfectly understandable how a game could be a "Probably buy" at $10, a "Maybe buy" at $15, and an "Unlikely to buy" at $20. It's not so much that $20 is way too much or even an unfair price so much as it is that there are so many high quality games out there so people are pickier these days.

XaosWolf

There's a lot of competition these days so it's perfectly understandable how a game could be a "Probably buy" at $10, a "Maybe buy" at $15, and an "Unlikely to buy" at $20. It's not so much that $20 is way too much or even an unfair price so much as it is that there are so many high quality games out there that people are pickier these days.

Competition is fine, but it doesn't mean that prices should be lower to get to the people who want everything but can't or are unwilling to buy everything. It should all immediately fall back on investigating the most reasonable game to buy.

Buying two or three games because they're cheap isn't helping anybody as it is getting them games they may not enjoy or even play, and keeps the industry in a rut of low priced games because "that's what people expect" regardless of effort or quality.

mare

Neo Member
Would you consider releasing something free to early adopters and then additional content as DLC instead rather than raising the price?

This is a really interesting idea, thanks!

Later updates free for early adopters and paid DLC for others is pretty attractive.. sadly it still suffers from the "only 10% of people buy DLC, and given the number of levels, probably less will buy this" fragmentation problem we're trying to avoid. (mostly because it's incredibly hard to remain completely motivated to try your hardest when you know only a tiny fraction of players will ever get to enjoy the levels).

Still, something to consider I think.

BTA

The difficulty curve is about the same as in the other N-games. So even without having Ninja skills this game offers a ton of content for you. It's not like there are 150 levels for normal players and the other 2000 are for experts only.

I don't understand this reasoning. N++ is a game you can (and actually are supposed to) keep coming back to for a long time. You are able to play this for more than two weeks, you know?
There will be droughts were not so many games are coming out, but there will always be some new N++ levels to finish for quite some time.
It also works really good in short bursts while being committed to other games.

It's not as if I think the significant portion of the game is going to be that hard, but as far as I can tell (without some clearer breakdown) it's enough to worry about, given that I wasn't exactly great at the previous games (though it has been a few years).

Personally, I'm not great at coming back to games. It's not as if I finish everything I start, but when those cases happen it can take me a good long time (even several years in a few cases) to come back and finish something. I much prefer games that I know I can leave feeling that I've finished (at least in some respect)- there's definitely games that even now I'm theoretically chipping away at between other games, but it's not as satisfying and if I'm buying a game at full price, it's not something I want to play like that. (I acknowledge I'm probably weird in this respect, but that's just me.)

Regarding the price point as a whole: for me, it's definitely a matter of having a lot of other games coming out at $15. If I'm buying a $20 game near launch these days it's probably because a pre-order sale had it a few bucks off and/or I'm just that interested in it. Even a $15 game is much more in the "I'll risk it" range, though I can't exactly tell you why!

Novocaine

It's a real shame to hear the sales are low, it deserves better and I hope it picks up. This is one of those games that should be on every PS4 IMO.

Nah. The OST is perfect for the game. The minimalist music compliments the minimalist aesthetic of the game. Rocking a pair of headphones while playing has almost put me in a trance like state, it's awesome. I get the same effect from HLM.

Anyway just turn it down and put a Spotify playlist on if it bothers you so much.

mare

Neo Member
Cool idea.

Cool attitude; since this is actually something we get a *lot*, I'm going to try to reply to each of your points, no matter how facetious, so that we can link to it next time these sorts of things come up.

WARNING: this might get rant-y, and it's nothing that anyone with any common sense wouldn't already know, so feel free to skip this wall of text if you don't agree with kwisc's general demeanor. Also, this is Raigan again, if that's not obvious.

To start off, I realize how arrogant I sound. I realize that *every* developer thinks that their game is amazing and special.

What makes me truly believe that I'm right, however, is that we know a lot of other game developers, and they are very honest, and they are more or less unanimous in their appreciation of the quality of craft that went into N++.

This is what leads me to attribute any complaints about "the game is crap" to ignorance: my opinion has been vetted by people who are by definition the opposite of ignorant.

Not that N++ is perfect, but I believe it is at least in the running for "best platformer to be released in this century."; I'm a bit embarrassed to publicly state this, but not too much, because (a) obviously I have to feel this way, because if I thought it wasn't the best I would make the necessary changes so that it was the best, i.e by definition anything we make has to correlate strongly with our values and tastes, and (b) the whole point of N++ was explicitly "make the absolute best sort of this thing we possibly can" and we spent a tremendous amount of time and money -- and leveraged 10 years of experience, which I think is not something most teams have access to -- in order to achieve this goal. If we didn't think it was the best we wouldn't have released it because it wouldn't have been ready.

Anyway.. this is subjective and depends on your taste. If you want a platformer about the emotional journey of a troubled teen struggling to cope with their changing identity in a world ravaged by war etc etc, obviously you won't agree. And there are games like Spelunky which could be considered platformers which have a breadth and depth to them that N++, rooted in minimalism, couldn't possibly achieve.

I hope the above isn't taken out of context, obviously I realize that I sound like a horribly arrogant jerk, but honestly I chafe a bit at your post, it gets me in a particular mood.

On that note: let's proceed to the itemized list!

1) Value is a very complex topic; certainly one that I'm not an expert on. I don't disagree that the game would sell better at $10, but would it sell twice as well? Hard to say. Regardless of the value from the consumer's POV, we as developers (and humans) have to value our own time as well; from our POV, when looking at similar indie titles (Towerfall, Axiom Verge, Braid, etc), we thought that $20 was reasonable.

To be honest, as I've mentioned before, we wanted to sell it for $30 because we think it is a premium product. However, we realized that this would be an even more impossible sell, so we decided to start at $20 and then gradually increase the price, as an experiment -- to push back against the race-to-the-bottom that entitled attitudes like yours have helped to foster, where developers are competing on price rather than on quality.

2) I've covered our decision re: platform at length here (on the previous page..) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175917087&postcount=895

3) We tried literally every combination of symbols, numbers, etc. that we possibly could. In the end, we had to admit that "N++" was by far the strongest name, in terms of what it connoted wrt the series, as well as being a fun geeky in-joke (since we're all programmers). We, as humans with opinions and beliefs, are willing to behave in slightly irrational or non-optimal ways, if it makes us happy. We think that N++ was the perfect name for this game, regardless of the various difficulties and hardships that it has caused. I would love to hear your suggestions for alternate names though.. it's a tough problem!

4) Yes, this is my main complaint: people are mis-judging the game based on appearances. Now, you might argue that this is our fault and we should have altered its appearance in order to maximize it's consumer appeal, but we prefer to remain idealistic, steadfast and true to the spirit of N: gameplay comes *FIRST*. We designed the graphics to aid and enable the gameplay first, because we think that games should be about gameplay -- that's what makes them games. If you want pretty but vapid games, well.. there are a lot of those you can play. Our niche is quality gameplay.

The thing you took offense too -- that I called anyone judging N++ as a bad game based on its appearance "ignorant" -- is sadly how we feel. Those people are by definition ignorant! And we're not going to pander to them; they need to mature and learn if they want to enjoy life, if we cater to them then they'll never grow up.

5) Sorry, we just disagree about this: to us, games *are* fundamentally about gameplay, just like music is about sound. Sure, there's the album art, the liner notes, etc. but fundamentally for us, every aspect of a game should be subservient to the gameplay. This was our manifesto when we designed N, and to betray that spirit in this final manifestation would be ridiculous.

So, as you said, games aren't *only* about gameplay -- and that's why we have sound effects, music, and graphics that aren't just hitboxes. We have carefully designed every aspect of N++ to complement and enhance the gameplay, creating a certain abstractly techno-futuristic mood, without ever getting in the way of the core game experience.

About your point re: originality.. sorry, we also disagree. Admittedly, Jumper came out in the same month, so maybe there was something in the air back in 2004 that inspired the modern era of hardcore running and jumping, but we think that N is a very original stab in a new direction for platformers -- specifically the performative "macro-moves emerging from sequences built from left/right/jump" mechanics of movement, as well as the "no game over unless you give up" post-arcade aspect.

(I personally wish more people would learn that from N -- i.e try to use a different movement/collision/physics model to get a different sort of platformer -- instead of the "it's really hard" aspect. Alas.)

Now: that's not to say that we didn't borrow heavily from other games. We have always been very clear that N is a synthesis of our favourite elements of 4 freeware games we played a lot of: Soldat, Zone Runner, Puchiwara no Bouken, and Super Bubble Blob.

(As well as our favourite aspects of classic games like Lode Runner, and some novel ideas of our own; also, there are other games like Elastomania that we love which probably helped to guide our taste without being an explicit reference point. And, we used the ragdoll simulation from Hitman.)

But we think that only the two of us could have concocted the specific blend of elements which is N -- and if that's not originality, I don't know what is!

So, to accuse us of not being original is simply to be ignorant, IMO.

Or, maybe you just mean that fundamentally N++ is the same as N/N+, in which case: yes. But only if you think that Super Mario World is equally unoriginal and fundamentally the same as Super Mario Bros.

(Also, IMO there are *not* hundreds of great games -- maybe 4-5 truly great games are released every year. Games of the caliber of Spelunky are few and far between. At this point there may be a hundred total, but frankly we think that the vast majority of games are "me too" attempts to make money, not true attempt to contribute to the development of game design. Sadly that's the world we live in.. but not one we feel compelled to contribute to.)

6) Yes, big publishers know how to market and sell games, and make lots of money. But you know what big publishers don't know how to do? Make great games. Their very structure is antithetical to creativity, they are inhuman machines designed to produce profit by churning out content using an assembly line-style process which guarantees that great games are the exception (eg Demon's Souls) rather than the rule. (and even then, it's typically the smaller ones that are the most creative)

Maybe I was a bit hyperbolic previously, but we didn't have "no" marketing plan. We had a marketing plan that took about 10% of our budget, and about 10% of our time, to execute.

We couldn't stomach throwing any more resources at the sad arms race that is marketing, because those resources are truly wasted -- all they can do is generate money. Whereas if you allocate those same resources to the further development of the game, they can generate something much more special and rare than money: *a better game*.

It's a fact that big companies compete on marketing spends because that is an easier, more efficient, way to generate profits than competing on quality. That makes sense for corporations, which are inhuman and don't have any human value -- they exist solely to generate profit. Those entities don't care at all about game design, games as a medium, or anything else that we, as humans, value.

The whole point of independent developers is that we are humans, and thus are able to have values beyond the profit motive. That's what makes us different -- and that's what lets us make better games. (IMO)

"Deal with it" is exactly what we're trying to do -- we're trying to push back against trends and changes which we think are negative and harming games. We love games, and we want games to be great, not just empty product to be produced for profit. And part of that means abstaining as much as possible from the marketing arms race, which adds a drag/tax that implicitly makes games worse.

This is the way of the world, but it doesn't mean we have to like it, and it doesn't mean we can't be angry about it, or rail against those cynical souls who are driving indie games straight into the same morass that AAA has floundered in for 25 years in the pursuit of nothing noble or notable, just money.

7) We agree. Admittedly we have not done a great job of communicating this, but we think that each and every one of the 2360 levels is of the utmost quality. Level design is the aspect of game design which we have the most experience with, it's something we're both very passionate about, and we are very proud of what we have been able to achieve with N++ wrt quality of level design.

IMO producers -- in the vein of George Martin, who worked with the Beatles -- would be an *amazing* addition to game development. We have had many conversations with our friends Jon Mak and Alex Austin on this topic.

Sadly, what are known as producers in games tend to be nothing like George Martin -- they are accountants and business people, not artists and engineers.

We think that art should be made by artists, not by business people.

We have had to learn business in order to survive in this capitalist world, but we don't think that better art is made by making decisions that result in better-selling art.

Sadly we are competing with many teams who have taken the opposite approach, and who make games to make money. We prefer to make money to make games.

It's just a bit frustrating when people write off our hard work as "lol atari game not worth $20" when quite simply, they're wrong. (IMO)

p.s - your English is pretty good :)

Lucavious

I felt compelled to dust off my account just to address this specifically. You need to exit this mentality that lowering the price of your game somehow diminishes the value for your original customers. That road has already been paved for you by thousands of games that do the same thing, so much so that I've not seen any recent examples of a company catching flack for doing it. It's a regular and almost expected behavior for consumers now.

(Also, IMO there are *not* hundreds of great games -- maybe 4-5 truly great games are released every year. Games of the caliber of Spelunky are few and far between. At this point there may be a hundred total, but frankly we think that the vast majority of games are "me too" attempts to make money, not true attempt to contribute to the development of game design. Sadly that's the world we live in.. but not one we feel compelled to contribute to.)

I feel the opposite - there are so many great games that no one can come close to playing them all. And that's good because everyone's tastes are different. One person might love Spelunky while another person hates it, but that's okay because they can still enjoy Animal Crossing or Portal or Gravity Rush or Path of Exile or The Stanley Parable or Splatoon or some game that hardly anybody's even heard of. There's something for everyone; in fact, there's a whole lot of something for everyone!

Also, there are plenty of not great games that nevertheless have intriguing ideas in their game design, just waiting for another game to come along and execute them better than they did.

Kensuke

I thought I was done with the game, but I couldn't quit at the point I left it at. Taking a break of about a week actually helped, I wasn't as rushed or frustrated to finish stuff. Thankfully, I finally managed to clear some of my demons: D-14, D-18 and E-10. I cleared E-14 too for good measure. Now only E-18 and 19 remain. If they turn out to be too hard I can at least retire in peace...

archagon

Neo Member
I feel the opposite - there are so many great games that no one can come close to playing them all. And that's good because everyone's tastes are different. One person might love Spelunky while another person hates it, but that's okay because they can still enjoy Animal Crossing or Portal or Gravity Rush or Path of Exile or The Stanley Parable or Splatoon or some game that hardly anybody's even heard of. There's something for everyone; in fact, there's a whole lot of something for everyone!

Also, there are plenty of not great games that nevertheless have intriguing ideas in their game design, just waiting for another game to come along and execute them better than they did.
And yet, I see so many people my age — late twenties, early thirties — talking how they play fewer and fewer games every year. From my perspective, it's because with almost any game I start playing, I can tell how it's going to go within the first 15 minutes. I've played all the shooters, all the RPGs, all the strategy games, sims, and platformers already; I don't need to go through the motions just to see a few new cutscenes or reskinned monsters here and there. The big exceptions for me are the games that are mechanically perfect (SMB, N, many Nintendo first-party games), that have exceptional level design (Aban Hawkins), and that have a deep sense of mystery (La-Mulana, The Witness from what I've seen of it). There are also the few games that invent a new genre (Spelunky) or perfect a visual style (Monument Valley). For me, a game that ticks even just one of these boxes only comes out once or twice a year. It looks like N++ ticks several, which makes me all the sadder that I can't play it yet.

MizzouRah

This is a really interesting idea, thanks!

Later updates free for early adopters and paid DLC for others is pretty attractive.. sadly it still suffers from the "only 10% of people buy DLC, and given the number of levels, probably less will buy this" fragmentation problem we're trying to avoid. (mostly because it's incredibly hard to remain completely motivated to try your hardest when you know only a tiny fraction of players will ever get to enjoy the levels).

Still, something to consider I think.

Thanks for considering it. I understand how frustrating it must be as a content creator to make something that you've worked hard on, you think is great, and you want other people to enjoy, but I think the only thing for you guys to think about before you consider the statistics about DLC purchasing habits is getting the game into the hands of more people; which means changing something about the present situation. You can't be concerned about the 90% of people who likely won't buy the DLC if they're a consumer who wouldn't purchase the game at the current price point. Get them in the door before you worry about offering them a drink.

I was thinking more along the lines of something even smaller for early adopters than you were potentially thinking of. For example, something as small as a unique ninja color palette, a special hat for the ninja, etc... just something to say 'Thanks for the early support.' A price drop won't make people feel shitty if they've already been enjoying the game.

The levels that you guys are working on intending to releasing as free content alongside the price increase should be DLC. Get more people playing the game at a lower price point, and then that 10% who would purchase DLC is from a larger whole, making it a bigger number than it would currently be. I believe that increasing the entry cost to N++ would be a catastrophic mistake, if people are balking at the current price. Make that additional cost optional for those who crave more.

Top Bottom