• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N3 first impressions

Red Scarlet

Aryuken said:
I understand.

Kinda.

I mean jesus....60 bones for that?

I'll just leave.

:lol you'd hate my game collection that includes games I can't read what is going on.

FREE BEBPO (didn't know you were gone! doh)

Majmun

99nightsonsaledisplay5bh.jpg

Xbox version is coming? :lol

Man, MS Japan really needs to take care of those display problems.

Aryuken

Banned
Well it's better than any efforts by Ms before on the Jap market. And it will only get better.

They are actually learning at a fast rate.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Oh and you forgot Dcharlie am cry

i'm not crying though - the game isn't a classic or a masterpiece, but neither is it the total abomination people seem to be making out to be.

It's basically a mindless slasher - i've not seen many of the issues that Bebpo has seen (bebpo might have a borked X360 (?) i've seen him mention a number of issues on a number of X360 games that i've simply not come across :/)

The biggest pain though IS the "oh you died - back to the last major checkpoint" :(

It's disappointing because this is a miz game, but with that aside it's a more arcade-y Musou game IMO.

It's certainly not a game to blow 7,000 yen on (especially as it's not region free) but from the impressions i'd expect it to be one of the worst games ever - which it simply isn't. *shrug*

And seeing as we have everyones X360 attention here - Pro Baseball Spirits 3 on the X360 is sexy goodness.

Red Scarlet

DCharlie said:
i'm not crying though - the game isn't a classic or a masterpiece, but neither is it the total abomination people seem to be making out to be.

It's basically a mindless slasher - i've not seen many of the issues that Bebpo has seen (bebpo might have a borked X360 (?) i've seen him mention a number of issues on a number of X360 games that i've simply not come across :/)

The biggest pain though IS the "oh you died - back to the last major checkpoint" :(

It's disappointing because this is a miz game, but with that aside it's a more arcade-y Musou game IMO.

It's certainly not a game to blow 7,000 yen on (especially as it's not region free) but from the impressions i'd expect it to be one of the worst games ever - which it simply isn't. *shrug*

And seeing as we have everyones X360 attention here - Pro Baseball Spirits 3 on the X360 is sexy goodness.

You should be crying, that was money you coulda spent on your wife instead.

DCharlie

You should be crying, that was money you coulda spent on your wife instead.

She's obliviowned ... and of course, she has FFxI 360 - she needs no other games!

hadareud

The Translator
DCharlie said:
Excellent, is the animation really as good as in the trailer? It looked unbelievable.

DCharlie

i've not seen the trailer, but the animation is pretty decent. What is even better is the way they captured the broadcast feel of Japanese baseball games - it's pretty close :)

I guess it helps that i like Japanese baseball of course.

ThirdEye

Aryuken said:
Well it's better than any efforts by Ms before on the Jap market. And it will only get better.

They are actually learning at a fast rate.
Really? I thought this is the last hope of them. This game was delayed half a year after all.

duckroll

DCharlie said:
(bebpo might have a borked X360 (?) i've seen him mention a number of issues on a number of X360 games that i've simply not come across :/)

Yeah he said N3's problems were so bad he wondered if he had a borked disc.... maybe you guys should exchange notes. For me the most disappointing point of N3 he's mentioned is really how shit the story and the cutscenes are, since I know most people were totally looking forward to it as "DW with a good story". So much for that. :(

duckroll said:
Yeah he said N3's problems were so bad he wondered if he had a borked disc.... maybe you guys should exchange notes. For me the most disappointing point of N3 he's mentioned is really how shit the story and the cutscenes are, since I know most people were totally looking forward to it as "DW with a good story". So much for that. :(

Yeah I never understood why everyone bought into that....I mean Mizu isn't really well known for his story telling abilities. <shrug> I will still pick this up when I get a 360, hopefully for cheaper.

Oh but what really peeves me...

IS THAT E3 GOT PUSHED BACK BECAUSE OF THIS POS!!!!!

sorry...

oh and not that E3...

ivysaur12

Banned
Damn... this is kind of one of the games I was looking forward to for the 360. I guess I'm not getting one until Blue Dragon comes out and I hear some impressions on that.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I agree with DCharlie 100%. The game isn't "crap," but it's really average, and quite frankly, Sangoku/Sengoku Musou walks all over this game (and all the other DW clones).

If you're going to get a new Japanese DW-style BEU, get Sengoku Musou 2 on PS2.

Aaron said:
Does anyone know when Ikusa Gami is going to hit the states? It's supposedly better than N3 at doing the same thing, and there's rumors its coming out by Konami under the name of Demon Chaos, which is about as generic as generic can be.

Ikusa Gami SUCKS. SO. HARD. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

sky

Kind of disappointing :/ ... although the game has always had that "just a slasher" feel. It's a shame there isn't a multiplayer mode -- co-op might have been fairly fun. I'll probably still pick it up though, once the price comes down. It sounds like there is still enough entertainment to make it worth a look.

I expect this game to do fairly well in japan, for a 360 title. The visuals look appealing, great looking characters (Inphyy is amazingly hawt!), cool spell effects, etc.

Thanks for the impressions ;).

Aaron

Lyte Edge said:
Ikusa Gami SUCKS. SO. HARD. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID
Okay, I'll take your strongly worded word for it. :)

I have DW5: Empires for now, and will get Samurai Warriors 2 when it hits the US. N3 looks like a pick up dirt cheap when I finally get a 360.

Beowvlf

Banned
Uber disappointing impressions from Bebpo. I was really hoping this game would continue Miz's streak of awesomeness. Denied.

Any word on the music?

Heian-kyo said:
Uber disappointing impressions from Bebpo. I was really hoping this game would continue Miz's streak of awesomeness. Denied.

Any word on the music?

That is a very important question. Only music of Rez/Lumines caliber could save the mashfest!

duckroll

Music is supposed to be disappointing too. Not that it's bad, but he said that there were maybe a handful of "good" tunes and the rest were average and forgettable. There's nothing special or unique about it, it's just normal music.

Microsoft is still trying in Japan. I went to Yurakucho Bic Camera to pick up some games and wow they had a massive Xbox 360 event going on outside. Plenty of machines set up with N3 as well as Love Football and some other generic FIFA game.

N3 seemed sorta fun and Love Football was just a demo but was oozing of crappiness. Here are a couple of pictures I took while there:

yurakucho_bic_x360_1.jpg

yurakucho_bic_x360_2.jpg

puebla

kpop100 said:
I'm sure he enjoys spending 7000 yen plus on games he doesn't like!
it was obvious from his posts that he didn't buy the game. he was taking somebody else's bad impressions & couldn't wait to post them.

step your reading comprehension game up.

Dahbomb

duckroll said:
Bebpo got the game and some other people have finished it. It appears the "savior of MS Japan" is another lameass failure! :lol

- Repetive gameplay
- Huge maps with tons of enemies that are all the same
- If you stop mashing buttons you take cheap hits and might die
- If you die you have to play the entire boring level all over again
- Crappy hit detection
- The story sucks
- The voice acting sucks
- There is no lip sync
- The animation in cutscenes suck
- The sound effects are weak
- No crowd noises
- The multi-angle story doesn't even make sense, some scenarios are simply "what if"
- The entire plot is spelled out in the manual and there is no twist
- Dynasty Warriors is better
- Samurai Warriors is better
- Ikukagumi is better
- Mizuguchi am cry
- Korea am cry
- Etc etc

Did you REALLY need to do an impression on the game to come to that conclusion?

N3 is a crappy version of DW on the 360 with a crappy midieval setting. That is all there is to the game. If you were expecting something better, then you will be disappointed.

hate to say it but, told you so.

even with Mizuguchi supposedly moving to Korea to work on the game, you could tell this was nothing more than one of 2 things...

1. MS gives a ton of money to Q Entertainment. Q gives some of the money to Phantagram along with character designs, story, and a game idea. Q uses the rest of the money to fund their own games.

2. MS pays Mizuguchi to put his name on a Phantagram game to get the attention of the hipster hardcore gamers.

regardless of which one you choose to believe, they both result in a bad game. well, at the very least, it was obvious that this game wasn't anywhere near up to the standards of a Mizuguchi game.

on the bright side, Mizuguchi should have more money to fund his real babies.

duckroll said:
Music is supposed to be disappointing too. Not that it's bad, but he said that there were maybe a handful of "good" tunes and the rest were average and forgettable. There's nothing special or unique about it, it's just normal music.
Professional N3 Troll?

Are there any impressions other than from this one guy? I'm sure he's a stand up fella, but I generally like to hear a few more opinions before I even contemplate jumping on the hate train.

pj

Banned
phantomile co. said:
hate to say it but, told you so.

even with Mizuguchi supposedly moving to Korea to work on the game, you could tell this was nothing more than one of 2 things...

1. MS gives a ton of money to Q Entertainment. Q gives some of the money to Phantagram along with character designs, story, and a game idea. Q uses the rest of the money to fund their own games.

2. MS pays Mizuguchi to put his name on a Phantagram game to get the attention of the hipster hardcore gamers.

regardless of which one you choose to believe, they both result in a bad game. well, at the very least, it was obvious that this game wasn't anywhere near up to the standards of a Mizuguchi game.

on the bright side, Mizuguchi should have more money to fund his real babies.

2 wouldnt necessarily have resulted in a bad game. Kingdom under fire 1 and 2 are very good

why do people make topics about posting impressions then post the shittiest little comment as the OP and then say they will post more but never do T_T

DCharlie

actually, i was going to mention the music - a couple of stages have pretty decent music , with some strangely sounding like MGS (!)

bud

ddk_ps3 said:
Microsoft is still trying in Japan. I went to Yurakucho Bic Camera to pick up some games and wow they had a massive Xbox 360 event going on outside. Plenty of machines set up with N3 as well as Love Football and some other generic FIFA game.

N3 seemed sorta fun and Love Football was just a demo but was oozing of crappiness. Here are a couple of pictures I took while there:

http://www.toliver.org/img/yurakucho_bic_x360_1.jpg
http://www.toliver.org/img/yurakucho_bic_x360_2.jpg

Wow, Microsoft is trying to impress people with Love Football? Of all teh games they could choose from they chose Love Football???!!!

2-peter_moore_small_2.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Man I remember the hype this game was getting even here in this forum previously...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
AltogetherAndrews said:
Are there any impressions other than from this one guy? I'm sure he's a stand up fella, but I generally like to hear a few more opinions before I even contemplate jumping on the hate train.
I just received the game. I'll post my impressions along with lots of video tonight or tomorrow night.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DenogginizerOS said:
What did Famitsu give N3?
Famitsu 360 gave it a 37/40, and Famitsu Weekly 31/40
I've just played through the first 2 levels, and so far it's mostly what I had expected. Mindless but rather fun hacking through enormous crowds. I was surprised that some noral opponents didn't die with just a few sword cuts but required quite a few more time to die. Not a slowdown or tearing so far, but I expect it will come soon enough.
I was also surprised the music in the canyon level had changed from the awesome music of the demo, and did not like it at first. But it grew on me and I really enjoy it now. Hopefully the rest is like that or more symphonic.

duckroll

Thanks to Bebpo we have this :lolAWESOME:lol video of N3 for everyone!

http://namakoteam.com/junk/N3_gameend.zip

Notice some awesome key points:

- cheap hits you can't see
- complete shit collision detection, some parts of combos go through enemies entirely
- nonsense crowd control, you take hits from nowhere
- ultra-shit collision detection, big ass weapon goes THROUGH the BIG boss thing twice!
- lack of crowd noises
- quietest battlefield ever

duckroll said:

- complete shit collision detection, some parts of combos go through enemies entirely
- ultra-shit collision detection, big ass weapon goes THROUGH the BIG boss thing twice!
- lack of crowd noises

Whoever is playing that is terrible, he's swinging hits at his own army! Plus just because you can take out plenty of enemies at a time doesn't mean you just run headlong into a crowd and let yourself get surrounded. The Dynasty Warriors series punishes you for the same thing, if you play them as a mindless hack & slash you get taken down pretty quickly because you leave yourself wide open to attacks from behind and afar.

As for the crowd noise it was under the orchestral score quite clearly, I guess that would be down to the player to change the levels.

duckroll

Francias Castiglione said:
Whoever is playing that is terrible, he's swinging hits at his own army! Plus just because you can take out plenty of enemies at a time doesn't mean you just run headlong into a crowd and let yourself get surrounded. The Dynasty Warriors series punishes you for the same thing, if you play them as a mindless hack & slash you get taken down pretty quickly because you leave yourself wide open to attacks from behind and afar.

As for the crowd noise it was under the orchestral score quite clearly, I guess that would be down to the player to change the levels.

It wasn't a gameplay video, it was to show off how CRAPPY the collision detection and how INFERIOR the game is to DW5E! Remember, N3 SUCKS, BUY DW5E INSTEAD! :D

duckroll said:
It wasn't a gameplay video, it was to show off how CRAPPY the collision detection and how INFERIOR the game is to DW5E! Remember, N3 SUCKS, BUY DW5E INSTEAD! :D

By slicing at your own men and running head first into a huge crowd? Dynasty Warriors isn't exactly known for it's amazing collision detection either and 5E looks atrocious, even for a port.

BluWacky

DCharlie said:
actually, i was going to mention the music - a couple of stages have pretty decent music , with some strangely sounding like MGS (!)

Just watched the video duckroll posted; that's not original music, I'm pretty sure it's the Presto from the Summer part of Vivaldi's Four Seasons with some random techno "hits" and a drum beat added.

Innovative!

bloke

duckroll said:

- lack of crowd noises
I think you're trying too hard already.
I still like the epic atmosphere of it all along with that classical tune in the background. Production-wise makes typical DW game look silly in comparasion. Wish they 'voiced' supportive characters in the battle though.

Top Bottom