• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nadella:We set third quarter records for game streaming hours, console usage, and monthly active devices...had 7 games among the top 25 on the PSStore

nush

What metric can we find to show we are winning? “Third quarter” technically the truth.

I imagine they want to release games on Playstation and Nintendo to maximize the benefits of Microsoft's game and not because they have lost faith in the Series x|s consoles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Note to Sony CEO: this is how you spin bad news to investors. You take the positives and make them look even better. Sony ceo threw the ps division under the bus even after they had a great year while this guy is straight up ignoring the 30% drop in hardware sales because the business is still strong elsewhere.

This is a good leader. Wish Sony bosses showed this much faith on PlayStation.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Can't wait for more games

bLnhE3f.jpeg

Note to Sony CEO: this is how you spin bad news to investors. You take the positives and make them look even better. Sony ceo threw the ps division under the bus even after they had a great year while this guy is straight up ignoring the 30% drop in hardware sales because the business is still strong elsewhere.

FMklrbx.gif

you said it: This is how you spin bad news.

I think the Sony guy was blunt because Sony doesn't have infinite money to throw around. This is good leadership: Fix your shit, we are a business.

This is a Ponzi scheme they are doing under our eyes. They just bought those games revenues, and they are not counting the money spend here obviously. Without them they would be flat / sligthly down. And with that US inflation (that is financing their proxy wars) flat means quite down.

Last edited:

Pelta88

The PR is so convoluted, I won’t even try to unpack it. That said, it feels like Nadella has been waiting years to quote PS in their XB pr.

StereoVsn

FMklrbx.gif

you said it: This is how you spin bad news.

I think the Sony guy was blunt because Sony doesn't have infinite money to throw around. This is good leadership: Fix your shit, we are a business.
Yep, Sony doesn’t have $20-30 billion of net income a quarter like MS. Nadella can shrug it off because for a $3Trillion company even AKB $70 bil purchase is peanuts.

Hell, they are plowing $100bil into R&D on their Nvidia AI chip replacement.

Last edited:

tmlDan

The xbox console is dead as we know it, not sure why they'd waste money making a new one just go third party save the money you'd lose on R&D and development of the console.

ProtoByte

I don't agree. I think that telling investors as much of the truth as possible as the best thing. One day, investors will figure out the truth. The only reason Nadella can "get away" with this is because no one investing in Microsoft is doing it for Xbox. Everybody who does care knows that the brand is in pathetic position, and has known for a long time. Blowing smoke up the collective ass of the games media and online "community" hasn't stopped their downwards spiral over the last decade.

The sooner investors have a realistic view of where the game industry is going, the better.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

Earnings calls aren't the place to jerk off departments. You give investors the truth about what's happening with the business. Nadella wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have something to sugarcoat.

Reactions: GHG
nadella: 'meanwhile, & continuing an on-going trend we've been tracking for the last several quarters, far more staff once again wore xbox t-shirts to work than both playstation & nintendo t-shirts combined!'...

zedinen

Blaming G&NS allows Totoki to avoid taking responsibility for his own decisions.

Q4 Operating Income Forecast (before Helldivers II success)

G&NS ¥86 bn

Nintendo ¥46 bn

I don't agree. I think that telling investors as much of the truth as possible as the best thing.

The truth:

Totoki: "I wasted 3 trillion yen on Music, Pictures, Buybacks and Dividends, thus impairing Sony Group's ability to generate free cash flow, and now I'm taking on debt to finance buybacks and dividends.

The interim CEO thing is a charade. I fucked up big time, and I want to make sure that G&NS, our second smallest segment by assets, generates record free cash flow ASAP in order to save my own ass"

Earnings calls aren't the place to jerk off departments. You give investors the truth about what's happening with the business. Nadella wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have something to sugarcoat.

Sony shareholders lost ¥2 trillion in value after Totoki tried to avoid accountability by throwing SIE under the bus; Sony Group lost ¥135 billion and G&NS 900 employees after Totoki's buybacks and mass layoffs in Feb and Mar failed to lift the share price.

GHG

American corporate culture vs Japanese corporate culture in a nutshell.

Got to keep those stock numbers pumped at all cost, even if it means bending/evading the truth.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Sony/Playstation excells in making good video games and games ... MS/Xbox excells in making PR Bullshit to spin its failures... I'll take the first option any day 😅

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

onQ123

Blaming G&NS allows Totoki to avoid taking responsibility for his own decisions.

Q4 Operating Income Forecast (before Helldivers II success)

G&NS ¥86 bn

Nintendo ¥46 bn

The truth:

Totoki: "I wasted 3 trillion yen on Music, Pictures, Buybacks and Dividends, thus impairing Sony Group's ability to generate free cash flow, and now I'm taking on debt to finance buybacks and dividends.

The interim CEO thing is a charade. I fucked up big time, and I want to make sure that G&NS, our second smallest segment by assets, generates record free cash flow ASAP in order to save my own ass"

Sony shareholders lost ¥2 trillion in value after Totoki tried to avoid accountability by throwing SIE under the bus; Sony Group lost ¥135 billion and G&NS 900 employees after Totoki's buybacks and mass layoffs in Feb and Mar failed to lift the share price.
I really don't like that guy & he needs to go

Fabieter

So they are super happy with ps performance interesting. They brag more about ps sales than ps did about pc sales and we know how that went.

Top Bottom