• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai and ShiftyLook announce Klonoa: Dream Traveller of Noctis Sol webcomic

AniHawk

This reminds me, there's a copy of Klonoa (wii) for $10 in a bargain bin nearby I was thinking of getting, what are these games like?

it's a very easy game, but lots of fun. it was made back when 3d was still new and people were experimenting with 3d platformers, so it does feel kinda old, but at the same time, those ideas never got explored too much elsewhere, so it's still pretty unique.

also, it's only $10. that's worth just checking it out at least. if you enjoy it, there's a sequel on the ps2, and some spinoff platformers on the gba.

If I'm hearing correctly, Time Crisis is also becoming a webcomic.

Who wants to bet Wild Dog shows up with detonator in hand for the umpteenth time?

In related news, WAHOO! Klonoa lives!

Psxphile

h6Q4l.jpg

New outfit looks like a mix of Klonoa 1 (collar), 2 (shorts) and Wii's (shirt) styles. Looks odd.

Gameboy415

Man, that art looks great!
I'll definitely check this out when it starts up later this month. :)

I've loved the Klonoa series since I got the original game on PS1 and I even tracked down the older manga series when I was in Japan.
It was quite possibly one of the funniest manga series I've ever read!

Loona

A site focused on nothing but comics based on Namco games, including obscure stuff like Valkyrie and Wonder Momo?

I think I already love this site. Why had I never heard of this?!

The concept's nice, but the quality's all over the place, IMO. Some writers actually bother to research the games and characters (Matt Moylan at least showed he did so for the Bravoman comic in the corresponding blog, even if he took quite a few liberties on the silly side), while others just seem to use likenesses and seem to make up stuff as they go along (sadly, that's been the case with Valkyrie, good grief... and I was hopeful about that one, since it's the one character that made it to Project X Zone in there...).

Jim Zub recently handled Wonder Momo in an interesting way, compared to the way the comic seemed to be going initially, so maybe there's hope for Klonoa, even if I'm not that familiar with that series.

The concept's nice, but the quality's all over the place, IMO. Some writers actually bother to research the games and characters (Matt Moylan at least showed he did so for the Bravoman comic in the corresponding blog, even if he took quite a few liberties on the silly side), while others just seem to use likenesses and seem to make up stuff as they go along (sadly, that's been the case with Valkyrie, good grief... and I was hopeful about that one, since it's the one character that made it to Project X Zone in there...).

Jim Zub recently handled Wonder Momo in an interesting way, compared to the way the comic seemed to be going initially, so maybe there's hope for Klonoa, even if I'm not that familiar with that series.

Yeah, I read all of Valkyrie so far, and...well, it's not what I was hoping it would be, and there were a lot of liberties taken... Sandra/Xandra is supposed to be male, and was never human at any point. They also seemed to have split him up into two characters, since now there's a Prince Krino...and Sandra/Xandra's full name is Kurino/Krino Sandra/Xandra...the spelling changes by source.

And Valkyrie randomly saying stuff like "kawaii" is just so...out of place. And the whole comic seems too silly at times...but I'll keep reading it anyway, if only because it's probably the only Valkyrie stuff the US will ever get. :(

Wonder Momo I thought was much better, especially the more recent parts. I haven't read anything else yet, but I'll try Bravoman next. I'm hoping Klonoa is good. It's hard to tell from just one quick page.

Loona

Galaga... wtf

They already have one for Xevious, which I haven't checked, so they can do something with a shooter.
However, Galaga is tied to several other Namco games through the UGSF series, from the likes of Ace Combat to Dig Dug, which could open some interesting possibilities for references to other games, but it seems unlikely they'll make use of that.

The writers Shiftylook resorts to are pretty inconsistent about their research efforts, but many probably don't feel it's important, as most of the games they cover either had no actual text or were never translated, and it seems Rob Pereyda, who's in charge of the site, is keen on developing some spin-off IPs for it, so he's clearly not very concerned about existing series canon - could that be related to his familiarity with the topic of licensing?

However, now ShiftyLook will make its stuff available in Japanese at http://shiftylook.asia/ , exposing it to a public who has an easier time accessing what stories are established for the characters they're covering.

Considering Namco X Capcom actually did a pretty good job tying several of those Namco series together (ex: Bravoman's Br. Bomb works for Heihachi Mishima and remade Waya Hime to use Taki's style, and his A.I. work is enough to put Xenosaga's Shion's work on KOS-MOS to shame), they'll now be compared with something worked on by competent professional fanboys.
I'd love to be able to read the comments on 2ch when they start releasing the comics, especially the Valkyrie stuff, considering that one in particular got recent exposure due to Project X Zone, yet is easily the most modified character of the bunch (originally a Heaven-sent maiden knight inspired by nordic mythology, the comic depicts her as some teenager who talks like a 12-year old who watches too much anime, and that's not even going into the other characters...).

There's a reason why stuff like the japanese takes on successful western franchises like TNMT and Powerpuff Girls aren't usually released back to the west to a comparable extent - people who don't understand the originals do whatever with them to the point it's almost unrecognizeable and/or annoys the existing fandom.
One has to admit, Pereyda has guts for trying - I'm curious to see hwo long it'll take for Namco Bandai to feel they need to have a serious talk with him...

Top Bottom