• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Let me sum this thread up:

Not one person in this thread implies or states that the Wii's success will cause the PS3 to die or cease to exist.

Quetz: "Why do all Nintendo fans think the Wii's success will cause the PS3 to die or cease to exist?"

DSWii60

quetz67 said:
What I find most unnerving on GAF is this black and white thinking.

If the Wii is a success then it is a complete success and all other consoles are doomed

or

Wii will get lots of games but all games will be crap.

etc.

Did any of you ever thought of:

Wii will be a success, it will get loads of crap games and lots of great games too

or

PS3 and 360 will get less support in the future, but they will still get hundreds of games, great ones and crap too.

QFT

quetz67

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
PC games are so much better graphically anyway.
Not true in general.

There will be some (mostly FPS/RTS) games that do look better on the latest PC hardware than some PS3 games. But in many cases PC games only win in categories textures/resolution.

Often the console games are more well rounded graphically, using a better mix of polygonal detail, shaders and lighting (at the time they are released). Even if you find Crysis great you probably dont find Gears of War anything close to ugly. And even if that comes to PC looking better then, there usually is quite some time inbetween.

And then for lots of genres there isnt even competition on the PC.

quetz67

Banned
soundwave05 said:
It's just a discussion, nothing more than that. I can see where he's coming from and certain points he has.

By and large I just don't agree with people who tend to have pretty extreme viewpoints. I don't agree with the Nintendo fans here who say the Wii will outsell the PS3 by a factor of x3 or something and stuff like FF13 will get canned on the PS3 for Wii either.

The truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. If anything this generation will be good for fanboys as it'll teach them to share and at least come to some begruding respect for all three platforms, because unless you're a totally biased douche, all three now are going to get really great support all around.
Did anybody imply we were fighting...brother!!!

Threi

notag
Ok i'm not going to read this thread but since i seen this i will comment on it:

quetz67 said:

If the Wii is a success then it is a complete success and all other consoles are doomed

or

etc.

Wii will be a success, it will get loads of crap games and lots of great games too

or

PS3 and 360 will get less support in the future, but they will still get hundreds of games, great ones and crap too.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
quetz67 said:

or

etc.

or

53kby21.gif

quetz67

Banned
Tobor said:
The conversations you have in your mind don't count Quetz. We only get the priviledge of hearing one side.
"Also, in regards to the last bit, you're missing the point. It's not whether they can make a profit on the 360 and PS3, it's whether they can make a BIGGER profit on the Wii. They're not just going to settle for smaller profits."

That does not imply PS3 3rd party support will vanish?
(And that is not one of the most stupid statements ever written?)

Tobor

quetz67 said:
"Also, in regards to the last bit, you're missing the point. It's not whether they can make a profit on the 360 and PS3, it's whether they can make a BIGGER profit on the Wii. They're not just going to settle for smaller profits."

That does not imply PS3 3rd party support will vanish?
(And that is not one of the most stupid statements ever written?)

No, it says to me that there will be less, not none. If anyone seriously thought PS3 support will drop to 0, I will call them out on it, and so will everyone else here.

You are reading posts and hearing what you want to hear, as you always do.

Wii support increasing != PS3 support decreasing to 0. If anyone says otherwise, link it. If not, relax and let people have a reasonable discussion.

jarrod

Banned
Well, for upcoming internal R&D projects...

Bandai Namco PS360
-Ace Combat 6: Fire of Libertaion (Namco) 360 only
-Beautiful Katamari (Namco)
-Mobile Ops: The One Year War (BEC/DIMPS) 360 only
-Smash Court Tennis 3 (Namco) PS3 only
-SoulCalibur IV (Namco)
-Tekken 6 (Namco) PS3 only
-Time Crisis 4 (Namco) PS3 only

Bandai Namco Wii
-Final Furlong (Namco)
-Mobile Suit Gundam MS Front 0079 (BEC)
-Namco Museum Remix (Namco)
-SoulCalibur Legends (Namco)
-Sword of Legendia (Namco Tales Studio)

Capcom PS360
-Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom Production Studio 1)
-Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom Production Studio 1) PS3 only
-Resident Evil 5 (Capcom Production Studio 2)

Capcom Wii
-Devil Kings 2 Heroes (Capcom Production Studio 4)
-Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom Production Studio 4)
-Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Capcom Production Studio 2)

SEGA PS360
-Golden Axe (Secret Level)
-Sega Rally (Sega Racing Studio)
-Virtua Fighter 5 (SEGA Amusememnt Machine R&D) 360 only
-Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007 (Sports Interactive) 360 only

SEGA Wii
-GHOST Squad: Global Humanitarian Operation and Special Tactics (SEGA Amusememnt Machine R&D)
-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (SEGA Amusememnt Machine R&D)
-NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Sonic Team USA)
-Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary ((SEGA General Entertainment R&D)

quetz67 said:
wow, thats really showing the simple mindedness of all you Wii fanboys.

Wii games are more profitable so we dont develop PS3/360 game any longer. Cheap cars sell better than expensive cars, so we dont produce them any longer. Thousand island dressing sells better than cocktail dressing, so we stop making cocktail dressing.

quetz67 said:
I read this as "More garbage on Wii, only the huge, good selling titles will be on PS3

See what I did there?

I do. Although maybe you should have bolded his point here...

quetz67 said:

or

etc.

or

It's a shame he contradicted himself like that, but if he means what he says about it not being a black and white situation, I totally agree with him.

Brofist

jarrod said:
Well, for upcoming internal R&D projects...

Bandai Namco PS360
-Mobile Ops: The One Year War (BEC/DIMPS) 360 only
-SoulCalibur IV (Namco)
-Tekken 6 (Namco) PS3 only

Ace Combat 6?

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
Ace Combat 6?
Ack! Added it.

Really though, these sort of lists are a bit faulty when looking at support shifts... if we look at just the upcoming games announced in the past 6 months...

Bandai Namco PS360
-Ace Combat 6: Fire of Libertaion (Namco) 360 only
-SoulCalibur IV (Namco)

Bandai Namco Wii
-Mobile Suit Gundam MS Front 0079 (BEC)
-Namco Museum Remix (Namco)
-SoulCalibur Legends (Namco)
-Sword of Legendia (Namco Tales Studio)

Capcom PS360
-Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom Production Studio 1) 360 only

Capcom Wii
-Devil Kings 2 Heroes (Capcom Production Studio 4)
-Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Capcom Production Studio 2)

SEGA PS360
-none

SEGA Wii
-GHOST Squad: Global Humanitarian Operation and Special Tactics (SEGA Amusement Machine R&D)
-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (SEGA Amusement Machine R&D)
-NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Sonic Team USA)
-Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary (SEGA General Entertainment R&D)

My head hurts and I blame all of you.

Except Segata.

And ethelred.

And Anihawk.

And cvxfreak.

Screw it, I blame soundwave05 and quetz67.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The user Darkness's post history has little to do with the OP guys. Stop bashing the guy, if his posts are unsuitable the mods will come around.

I'm interested if this "news" will mean that the Wii specifically will recieve more installments of the companies' main franchises.

Chao said:
Dragon Quest IX on DS laughs at you in OMGEXCLUSIVEGAMESNOTPOSSIBLEONCRAPPYSYSTEMS terms.

If that's happening right now, I wouldn't be surprised if any of those games were announced for the Wii.

Yes exactly, more than 2 years of sale domination over 40 million sold and all it has is one major third party exclusive even with bad sales PSP has GTA, Tekken, MGS, FF7, Elder Scrolls.

devilscallmedad said:
Yes exactly, more than 2 years of sale domination over 40 million sold and all it has is one major third party exclusive even with bad sales PSP has GTA, Tekken, MGS, FF7, Elder Scrolls.

Spinoff, port, spinoff, spinoff, spinoff.

Great argument there.

Hey, DS has Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest, a good Sonic game, and Mario!

See, I can do stupid lists too.

wazoo

Pureauthor said:

Great argument there.

Hey, DS has Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest, a good Sonic game, and Mario!

even mixing third and first party, or I miss it.

Pureauthor said:

Great argument there.

nice, i am sure that third party mario is a huge game.

Also umm spin it whatever way you want to PSP has bigger third party exclusives.

devilscallmedad said:

Also umm spin it whatever way you want to PSP has bigger third party exclusives.

a) I see no reason why Nintendo as a developer should not be counted.

b) You've yet to provide justification for your claims. Is the PSP receiving a direct sequel from any major franchise? It's receiving a lot of spinoffs from various major franchises, but that's standard fare for handhelds, and the DS is no slouch when it comes to that particular department either.

Threi

notag
devilscallmedad said:

Actually i hold all of the titles both you and him listed in the same area concerning budget, name recognition, and hype.

So i would say he has made a valid counterpoint. You can start list wars if you like, but saying "PSP HAS BETTER EXCLUSIVES BECAUSE I SAY SO" won't cut it for a decent argument.

devilscallmedad said:

The PSP has really good third party exclusives, but come on...

Two original Castlevania games
Final Fantasy III Remake
Final Fantasy IV Remake
Dragon Quest IX and all associated spin-offs (DQM:J, DQH)
Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure
Contra IV
Two original Mega Man series
Phoenix Wright
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
An original Tony Hawk game
Bioware Sonic RPG
Trauma Centre

You don't have to tear down the DS to build up the PSP.

BuzzJive

At first this thread was kinda fun - but the more I read quetz67 posts - the more I just want to scream. I made it to page 5 and had to stop.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The PSP has really good third party exclusives, but come on...

Two original Castlevania games
Final Fantasy III Remake
Final Fantasy IV Remake
Dragon Quest IX and all associated spin-offs (DQM:J, DQH)
Contra IV
Two original Mega Man series
Phoenix Wright
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II
Bioware Sonic RPG
Trauma Centre

ETRIAN ODYSSEY

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
Actually i hold all of the titles both you and him listed in the same area concerning budget, name recognition, and hype.

So i would say he has made a valid counterpoint. You can start list wars if you like, but saying "PSP HAS BETTER EXCLUSIVES BECAUSE I SAY SO" won't cut it for a decent argument.
You are seriously wrong GTA, tekken, MGS what are you equating them to ? i am not saying "better" just the PSP still has a lot of major franchises ( third party ) more so than DS so i see no reason why there won't a similar model for wii and 360/ps3 support.

because first party is different and i won't even bother arguing that the DS has a much much better and bigger first party library then the PSP.

Segata Sanshiro said:
What? I'm sorry, I'm not really into Pokemon.

Well, if you were going to list the FFIII and FFIV remakes... then I'd assume an old-school RPG like EO is worthy of making the list too.

You are seriously wrong GTA, tekken, MGS what are you equating them to ? i am not saying "better" just the PSP still has a lot of major franchises ( third party ) more so than DS so i see no reason why there won't a similar model for wii and 360/ps3 support.

You've listed 3 big third party exclusive franchises, all of which were announced, developed, and already released. Furthermore, they were announced back when the DS' victory over the PSP wasn't quite as assured as it is now. Of those games from those franchises, all of them (MGA, MGA2, MGS:pO, GTAVCS, GTALCS) are spinoffs, except for Tekken, which is a port.

Whereas I can list games such as Dragon Quest IX (announced late last year), Sonic Rush Adventure (announced this year), Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (announced late last year, released this year), Phoenix Wright 3 (announced this year), Sonic Bioware RPG (hinted at last year, formally announced this year), and Final Fantasy IV.

Two are official sequels, one spinoff, two Sonic games which barely have a real series to confirm whether or not they're spinoffs anymore, and a remake.

because first party is different and i won't even bother arguing that the DS has a much much better and bigger first party library then the PSP.

When it comes down to the gaming side of things, I don't much care if a game is 1st party, 3rd party, or developed in some kid's basement, as long as it's fun to play. That is the point of this little debate, isn't it?

Pureauthor said:
Well, if you were going to list the FFIII and FFIV remakes... then I'd assume an old-school RPG like EO is worthy of making the list too.
I'm just being cheeky, Pure. Though I was hoping Dragona would take the bait first. :D

I really don't know what to make of these arguments that Wii dominance will make development for the PS3/360 a ghosttown. Never happened with the Cube or XBOX. Where's the logic? Help me understand.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm just being cheeky, Pure. Though I was hoping Dragona would take the bait first. :D

Yeah, I was a little rabid concerning EO a while back. A couple of comments from several posters calmed me down a lot though.

D.Lo

Pureauthor said:
Because it's a discussion about 3rd party support?

Pureauthor said:
b) You've yet to provide justification for your claims. Is the PSP receiving a direct sequel from any major franchise? It's receiving a lot of spinoffs from various major franchises, but that's standard fare for handhelds, and the DS is no slouch when it comes to that particular department either.
Seriously though, the PSP has gotten some huge exclusive games (MGS is probabaly #1), but now that the DS is the undisputed winner the DS isn't getting similar treatment. Where's the Konami game on the level of MGS? Where are any decent games from Namco? etc.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Two original Castlevania games - PSP gets a deluxe package including the two best CVs ever, instead of tired teh kiddeh art re-hashes of those same games
Final Fantasy III Remake
Final Fantasy IV Remake
Dragon Quest IX and all associated spin-offs (DQM:J, DQH) - Apart from IX, the others are GBA successors
Contra IV
Two original Mega Man series - PSP got two IMO better Mega Man series
Phoenix Wright - GBA ports until very recently, and will still be until next year outside japan.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II - PSP most likely got the better tactics game (port or otherwise)
Bioware Sonic RPG

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seriously, I definitely prefer the DS, no question. I am not putting it down at all. I don't even own a PSP (until Castlevania). But the PSP has had by far the better 3rd party support. I can't see how it can be argued any differently.

Krowley

DeaconKnowledge said:
I really don't know what to make of these arguments that Wii dominance will make development for the PS3/360 a ghosttown. Never happened with the Cube or XBOX. Where's the logic? Help me understand.

A lot of that is coming from sony fans that don't realise how cool it was to own a cube or xbox last gen. They think being in last is a death sentence. It's not really so bad as long as you have good first party studios and sony seems to do pretty good for themselves.

I don't think many 360 partisans are actually worried about it cause most of them owned an xbox and they know already, and the 360 has solidified it's position as a good 3rd party platform.

Two original Castlevania games - PSP gets a package including the two best CVs ever, instead of limp teh kiddeh art re-mixes of those same games

Who spends their time looking at Castlevania game art? Since when has art direction affected how well the game plays?

And they may be the two best Castlevania games, but it's a remake and a port.

Final Fantasy III Remake
Final Fantasy IV Remake

You just hyped the remake of a Castlevania game! Seriously!

GBA successors

Are we going to give the PSP a free pass because it didn't have a predecessor to get sequels from? Is the PSP2's GTAIV Stories going to be ridiculed because it's a PSP successor?

Make up your mind as to whether remakes are a good thing or not.

Phoenix Wright - GBA ports until very recently, and probabaly next year outside japan.

First your argument stems from playing the 'best' games, now it's stemming from the attention given a game? In which case the Castlevania point is mooted, since it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that more work was put into a two original Castlevania's than a single remake.

Also, PW4 isn't a port, and the first 3 PWs are freakin' awesome anyway, so I don't see a problem.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II - PSP got the better tactics game (port or otherwise)

I'll concede the point when FFTAII actually comes out.

Conclusion:

Get. Real.

Terrell

D.Lo said:
Two original Castlevania games - PSP gets a package including the two best CVs ever, instead of limp teh kiddeh art re-mixes of those same games
Final Fantasy III Remake
Final Fantasy IV Remake
Dragon Quest IX and all associated spin-offs (DQM:J, DQH) - Apart from IX, the others are GBA successors
Contra IV
Phoenix Wright - GBA ports until very recently, and probabaly next year outside japan.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II - PSP got the better tactics game (port or otherwise)
Bioware Sonic RPG
So... you decry DS remakes in this list, then contradict yourself by praising remakes because they're on PSP and of preferable gameplay to your taste? Cute, really cute.

EDIT: Beaten... oh well, I think I gave the Reader's Digest version of Pureauthor's post, so all was not in vain.

Zer0

Banned
cvxfreak said:
*travels back to 2005*

Hey guys, I hear the DS is gonna continue to receive crap games from 3rd parties! Doubt we'll ever see the likes of Dragon Quest IX on it, even if it continues to win the handheld war!

ds third party software from no japanese dvs is still MOSTLY CRAP

to the ones who think devs will change his bigs teams to work on wii and forget ps3 and 360 projects,sorry dudes but thats is Bs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom