• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAMCO-BANDAI, SEGA and others shifting focus towards Wii/DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
D.Lo said:
Because it's a discussion about 3rd party support?

Seriously though, the PSP has gotten some huge exclusive games (MGS is probabaly #1), but now that the DS is the undisputed winner the DS isn't getting similar treatment. Where's the Konami game on the level of MGS? Where are any decent games from Namco? etc.

Seriously, I definitely prefer the DS, no question. I am not putting it down at all. I don't even own a PSP (until Castlevania). But the PSP has had by far the better 3rd party support. I can't see how it can be argued any differently.

I find it hard to take you seriously. You ACTUALLY think it's "by far" and that it can't be argued? That's completely ridiculous.

Two original Castlevania games - PSP gets a package including the two best CVs ever, instead of limp teh kiddeh art re-hashes of those same games

Actually, this is when I realized I couldn't take you seriously. "Limp?" DoS is one of the best DS games, hands down. One of the best handheld games ever, in fact. The sequel is great too. And you think PSP getting a port and a remake is better?

Final Fantasy III Remake
Final Fantasy IV Remake

Wait, so now you're using "remake" as something negative, but you just said...

Dragon Quest IX and all associated spin-offs (DQM:J, DQH) - Apart from IX, the others are GBA successors

Uh.. How is that even remotely a valid point. They're GBA successors so they don't count as third party support? You're really stretching here. And you pretty much glazed over DQXI, which is almost definitely the biggest third party game on either handheld combined, and proof of the huge popularity of the DS.

Two original Mega Man series - PSP got two IMO better Mega Man series

We share the same opinion. The PSP remakes are better than ZX, though ZX is still awesome. But they're just that: remakes. And this is about third party support, not what we personally enjoy more. And two original series is better support than two remakes (which were planned to be a series but then canceled because of low sales -- support?). That's not something that's arguable. It's better support.

Phoenix Wright - GBA ports until very recently, and probabaly next year outside japan.

But they never came out here in America. And yes, until very recently. So that's changed, so why dwell on the past if it changed?

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II - PSP most likely got the better tactics game (port or otherwise)

:lol Oh, okay. "Most likely."

a) We'll wait and see.
b) The same thing I said above. This is about SUPPORT. An original game is better support than a remake. Not arguable.

Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure
Contra IV
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Bioware Sonic RPG

And I notice you didn't even comment on those, simply because you know it's proof of DS' better third party support.

Come on now, the PSP is nice. It has good third party games. But at THIS point, to argue it has better third party support is silly.

That is the point of this little debate, isn't it?
far from it, here i'll put it clearly DS is a BETTER hand held with better games but PSP still has the major third party games.

You've listed 3 big third party exclusive franchises, all of which were announced, developed, and already released. Furthermore, they were announced back when the DS' victory over the PSP wasn't quite as assured as it is now. Of those games from those franchises, all of them (MGA, MGA2, MGS:pO, GTAVCS, GTALCS) are spinoffs, except for Tekken, which is a port.

Whereas I can list games such as Dragon Quest IX (announced late last year), Sonic Rush Adventure (announced this year), Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (announced late last year, released this year), Phoenix Wright 3 (announced this year), Sonic Bioware RPG (hinted at last year, formally announced this year), and Final Fantasy IV.

Two are official sequels, one spinoff, two Sonic games which barely have a real series to confirm whether or not they're spinoffs anymore, and a remake.
MGS came just 6 months ago, there were TWO gta's, there's ff7 and another ff game i don't remember and tactics, SH:eek:rigins, Elder Scrolls, Monster Hunter 2, castlevania, 2 star wars, tom clancy games, tomb raider, sonic rivals 2 these are the ones i remember. Combining this with stuff already released its not even arguable which system has better third party support.

D.Lo

Segata Sanshiro said:
D.Lo, bro, you need to get over this Rondo thing before it consumes you entirely. I'm starting to worry.
Way to ignore the rest of my points.

And what is there to 'get over'? I'm buying a PSP for the game, but I was worried over the comments about the future of the series resting on it's sales.

Pureauthor said:
It seems most of your post was about pointing out that I highlighted 'remake' on the Final Fantasies, including a remake of a game that I bought LAST YEAR on GBA compared to CVX which includes two games that cost a fortune on ebay (although I'll concede that Square Enix is the definite exception). I'm claiming in every instance that the PSP either got the better game OR a game that took more effort to produce.

So how's this for you, I'll revoke the 'remake' highlight on FF3 and 4, and mention again that Square is the exception.

I seriously can't believe I'm defending the PSP, but IMO the PSP has far better 3rd party game support, at least so far.

omg rite said:
And I notice you didn't even comment on those, simply because you know it's proof of DS' better third party support.
Um, I didn't comment because I agree with those ones? OMG I'm a hypocrite because I agreed on some points with someone I'm arguing against? I was addressing Segata's list with games I thought were not strong evidence, and leaving those that were.

D.Lo said:
Way to ignore the rest of my points.

And what is there to 'get over'? I'm buying a PSP for the game, but I was worried over the comments about the future of the series resting on it's sales.
You need to get over the bitterness. There's figurative venom dripping off of every word when you're in a discussion about that game.

I ignored the rest of your points because I was too lazy to address them point-by-point, but I feel as though they've been covered well enough now.

devilscallmedad said:
MGS came just 6 months ago, there were TWO gta's, there's ff7 and another ff game i don't remember and tactics, SH:eek:rigins, Elder Scrolls, Monster Hunter 2, castlevania, 2 star wars, tom clancy games, tomb raider, sonic rivals 2 these are the ones i remember. Combining this with stuff already released its not even arguable which system has better third party support.

Oh, crap, we're heading for list wars territory. I can start lising out DS 3rd party franchises by the dozen too. Do you really want me to do that?

Also, I listed both of the GTAs. You obviously didn't read my post carefully.

It seems most of your post was about pointing out that I highlighted 'remake' on the Final Fantasies, including a remake of a game that I bought LAST YEAR on GBA compared to CVX which includes two games that cost a fortune on ebay (although I'll concede that Square Enix is the definite exception).

Are we basing 'ease' of finding a game as to how good third party support is now?

In which case I can counter with FFIII in lieu of FFIV. 1 game to 1 game. Both impossible to find in Western shores until now. (Or in Castlevania's case, a little while from now.)

I'm claiming in every instance that the PSP either got the better game OR a game that took more effort to produce.

Um, on the flip side, that means that if the PSP got a better game, the DS got a game that took more work to make, and that if the PSP got a game that took more work to make, the DS got a better game. Am I understanding you correctly?

ZeoVGM

Banned
devilscallmedad said:
MGS came just 6 months ago, there were TWO gta's, there's ff7 and another ff game i don't remember and tactics,

MGS is a great example. FF7 also is. FF:Tactics is not. A fighting game is not.

Square Enix is giving much better support to DS. MUCH. This is a fact. It gets an ORIGINAL FFT, an FF12 spin off, and ****ing DQ9 as well as DQ spin off games. Not to mention, they developed a Mario game for the system, put out Rocket Slime, two FF completely 3D remakes (not simple upgraded sprite ports).

Come on, you're kidding yourself.

SH:eek:rigins,

Good choice, yes.

Monster Hunter 2

Another good choice, though Capcom's support of PSP used to be FAR better and is now slowing down.

castlevania

Bad choice. A remake/port combo is not better support than two original games.

tom clancy games, tomb raider

Uh, multiplatform console ports.

sonic rivals 2

A sequel to a game which was a piece of crap? Where as DS got Rush, is getting a sequel to that great game, and an RPG developed by Bioware.

Combining this with stuff already released its not even arguable which system has better third party support.

:lol Dude, you named Sonic Rivals 2 and Tomb Raider as examples.

D.Lo said:
Um, I didn't comment because I agree with those ones? OMG I'm a hypocrite because I agreed on some points with someone I'm arguing against? I was addressing Segata's list with games I thought were not strong evidence, and leaving those that were.

Yes, and I addressed your points. Your turn.

Oh, crap, we're heading for list wars territory.
You started it :)

Nintendo fans i am not doubting the superiority of your system just that sales haven't really shifted the third party franchises to the DS and it won't be happening with the wii either.

Andokuky

Banned
I'll get worried when some real games (RE5.. AC6.. VF5..SC4..Condemned 2..Dead Rising 2..etc) are cancelled from next gen and moved to Wii.

devilscallmedad said:

Nintendo fans i am not doubting the superiority of your system just that sales haven't really shifted the third party franchises to the DS and it won't be happening with the wii either.

My list was intended to shut down your because both were equally stupid.

The DS hasn't wrested games like GTA, MGS, etc, because they've traditionally been console titles. The PSP got those games because part of the philosophy behind the handheld is to provide console gaming on the go.

Now, I'm not privy as to whether the companies in question were satisfied with their performance, but the fact that we haven't heard anything about sequels for those franchises (well, there's been the SC3 for PSP rumour) makes things a bit suspect.

felipeko

devilscallmedad said:

3rd parties always had less focus on haldhelds, they can do it, because they still have big profits from consoles. But they can't afford to ignore both (one soon to be) market leaders.

D.Lo

Segata Sanshiro said:
You need to get over the bitterness. There's figurative venom dripping off of every word when you're in a discussion about that game.
Probably true. But where else is there to vent?

In my defence, I doubt you'd find many Castlevania fans more die-hard then I, even on this board. I have every single game, and most in both English and Japanese. I'll link you to an extensive history I wrote about the series if you'd like.

Terrell said:
So... you decry DS remakes in this list, then contradict yourself by praising remakes because they're on PSP and of preferable gameplay to your taste? Cute, really cute.
If you look at my post history you'd see I'm quite a vocal Nintendo fan. I can't believe I've been accused if bias toward the PSP. I don't even own one, I'm just calling it how I see it.

I'm starting to see why people get paranoid.

omg rite said:
Yes, and I addressed your points. Your turn.
Ok, here goes (only because you asked:) )
omg rite said:
Actually, this is when I realized I couldn't take you seriously. "Limp?" DoS is one of the best DS games, hands down. One of the best handheld games ever, in fact. The sequel is great too. And you think PSP getting a port and a remake is better?
Not necessarily better, but it seems like more effort has been put in. I totally disagree about them being the best DS games too, but that's objective.

We share the same opinion. The PSP remakes are better than ZX, though ZX is still awesome. But they're just that: remakes. And this is about third party support, not what we personally enjoy more. And two original series is better support than two remakes (which were planned to be a series but then canceled because of low sales -- support?). That's not something that's arguable. It's better support.
I haven't played MHX, but based on Powered up, remake or not I'd say it took more development resorces AND was the better game then ZX. The 're-make' label is semi-meaningless with Megaman anyway, since it's such a formula they're all remakes in some ways.

But they never came out here in America. And yes, until very recently. So that's changed, so why dwell on the past if it changed?
Nor has Rondo in Dracula X. And in terms of japan, it simply reduces the '4 Phoenix games' bullet point to '1 Phoenix game'.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Not that I don't think it's a viable alternative strategy to developing for the Wii, because it certainly is, but porting games from 360 to PS3 or simultaneously developing versions for both isn't automagically free.

ie, having a 20 million install base of 15 million 360 and 5 million PS3 isn't the same financial variable as having all 20 million on one console.

The port over cost from 360/PS3 was recently quoted at being around 10% extra. As this generation goes on, as multiplatform dev-tools continue to improve, it may very well get even cheaper.

It helps that both consoles use (in most cases) 720p assests.

The PSP had these titles because it was ludicrously easy to transfer PS2 code to make the games, it was like free money. But now the PS2 to PSP well has run dry, because consumers are wising up to the fact that these games can be had better on PS2.

Maverick Hunter X is cool and all, but Mega Man Powered Up got the much better makeover if you ask me. I'd say that MHX is less than Mega Man ZX, while MMPU is better.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The PSP had these titles because it was ludicrously easy to transfer PS2 code to make the games, it was like free money. But now the PS2 to PSP well has run dry, because consumers are wising up to the fact that these games can be had better on PS2.

I agree. Main reason I never bought a PSP.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Maverick Hunter X is cool and all, but Mega Man Powered Up got the much better makeover if you ask me. I'd say that MHX is less than Mega Man ZX, while MMPU is better.

I'd agree. However, MMZ series is still my favourite 2D Megaman series, and ties with Megaman Legends for overall favourite Megaman series.

quetz67

Banned
*lol* Wii is doomed confirmed *lol*

Lumines just took the #1 spot on amazon.com sales ranking.

If Lumines continues to sell for the next 5 years like it did in the last 24h - and there is no doubt in my mind it will - it reaches 100M in 2012, just before the Wii. All those Lumines buyers will then buy a PSP, Playstation brand name restored, DS and Wii developer all jump ship.

It is supply contrainted though, only 6 are available used & new, but I am sure they will be able to ramp up production fast enough

acuul

Andokuky said:
I'll get worried when some real games (RE5.. AC6.. VF5..SC4..Condemned 2..Dead Rising 2..etc) are cancelled from next gen and moved to Wii.

and what about unreal games?

DeaconKnowledge said:
I really don't know what to make of these arguments that Wii dominance will make development for the PS3/360 a ghosttown. Never happened with the Cube or XBOX. Where's the logic? Help me understand.
Sure it has. PS2 is still getting releases; they aren't and haven't been getting many for a couple years.

quetz67 said:
*lol* Wii is doomed confirmed *lol*

Lumines just took the #1 spot on amazon.com sales ranking.

If Lumines continues to sell for the next 5 years like it did in the last 24h - and there is no doubt in my mind it will - it reaches 100M in 2012, just before the Wii. All those Lumines buyers will then buy a PSP, Playstation brand name restored, DS and Wii developer all jump ship.

It is supply contrainted though, only 6 are available used & new, but I am sure they will be able to ramp up production fast enough
They should tie a bow on you and put you in Happy Meals, you little munchkin!

Ramenman said:
So did someone begin a list of all the people that are willing to quit gaming right now ?:lol
Really! :lol I can't wait for the "I quit" day to hit so they can all get the hell out! :lol

ksamedi

devilscallmedad said:

Dude your living in dream land. Third party PSP support? Its a joke at this point. The DS third party support is also a joke but it certainly is better than PSPs. Im not even getting why your arguing this.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sega has seen better days. It's not much help for Nintendo if they put out more crap for them.

Namco needs to bring out more Xeno. Calm down with the Tales and more Xeno.

D.Lo

Ramenman said:
So did someone begin a list of all the people that are willing to quit gaming right now ?:lol
Then they'll be non-gamers. Nintendo will then release 'Bald Space Marine Training: Train your scalp in minutes a day' and convert them back to gamers.

jarrod

Banned
Upcoming internally developed handheld stuff...

Bandai Namco DS
-Famista DS (Namco)
-Namco Museum Remix (Namco)
-Taiko no Tatsujin DS (Namco)
-tons of animua shovelware (seriously, I'm not shifting through this mountain of Bandai crap)

Bandai Namco PSP
-Power Smash Tennis 3 (Namco)

Capcom DS
-Gyakuten Saiban 5 (Capcom Production Studio 4)
-Mega Man ZX Advent (Capcom Production Studio 2)
-Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (Capcom Production Studio 4)
-Ryuusei no Rockman 2 (Capcom Production Studio 2)
-Wantame Uranai Channel (???)

Capcom PSP
-Devil May Cry (Capcom Production Studio 1)

SEGA DS
-Kodai Ouja: Kyouryuu King (SEGA Amusement Machine R&D)
-Kouchuu Ouja: Mushi King Super Collection (SEGA Amusement Machine R&D)
-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (SEGA Amusement Machine R&D)
-Nippon no Shiken Taizen DS (SEGA General Entertainment R&D)
-Sakura Taisen DS (RED Entertainment)
-Sonic Rush Adventure (Sonic Team USA)

SEGA PSP
-none

quetz67

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I think the 'most PSP games are cheap PS2 ports' is really stupid. If franchises made it over from PS/PS2 they are mostly new games (Daxter, R&C, MGS, Killzone, Syphon Filter, Ridge Racer, GTA).

Please list the straight no effort ports (not 3rd party stuff, where PSP version was just one port of many) if you disagree.

quetz67

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I want to know which black hole this game disappeared into. At least we've gotten FF7:CC info by now. Where is this?
want to know that too, it is the only game on the list I am interested in

Ramenman

CreatureX3 said:
Really! :lol I can't wait for the "I quit" day to hit so they can all get the hell out! :lol

The funny thing is, even if Nintendo is still on top next year, they'll never quit, because they don't have any reason to.

That's why I love these claims.:lol

xfactor

Banned
jarrod said:

Bandai Namco DS
-tons of animua shovelware (seriously, I'm not shifting through this mountain of Bandai crap)

Bandai Namco PSP

Capcom DS
-Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (Capcom Production Studio 4)

Capcom PSP

SEGA DS

SEGA PSP
-none
umm...will this be a better refined list?

Bandai Namco DS
- Treasure Gaust: Gaust Diver Deep Purple
- Treasure Gaust: Gaust Diver Crimson Red
- Taiko no Tatsujin DS
- Anan Kanshuu: Onna Dikara Kinkyuu Up! DS
- One Piece: Gear Spirit
- Kidou Gekidan Haro Ichiza: Gundam Mahjong + Z: Sara ni Deki Ruyouni Nattana!
- Deltra Quest
- Mitsukete! Keroro Gunsou
- Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu
- Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
- Game Center CX
- Dragon Tamer: Sound Spirits
- SD Gundam G Generation: Cross Drive

Bandai Namco PSP
- Smash Court Tennis 3
- Tales of The World: Radiant Mythology
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes
- Charlie Brown's All-Stars

Capcom DS
- Kabu Trader Shun
- Wantame Uranai Channel
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations
- Mega Man Star Force: Leo
- Mega Man Star Force: Pegasus
- Mega Man ZX Advent
- Gyakuten Saiban 5

Capcom PSP
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (JP)
- Goku Makai-Mura Kai
- Fate/Tiger Colosseum
- Devil May Cry

Sega DS
- Touch Darts
- Saitou Takashi no DS de Yomu Sanshoku Ball-Pen Meisaku Juku
- Kouchuu Ouja: Mushi King Super Collection
- Shikaku Kentei DS
- Onsei Kanjou Sokuteiki: Kokoro Scan
- Picto Image DS
- Sonic Rush Adventure
- Touch de Zuno! DS
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
- The Golden Compass
- Sonic RPG (working title)

Sega PSP
- Alien Syndrome
- The Golden Compass
- Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars
- Sega Rally
- Sonic Rivals 2
- Tenchu: Time of the Assassins
- Kodai Ouja: Kyouryuu King
- World Pool Challenge 2007

ari

Banned
wow...... Third parties alone isn't even known for nintendo consoles but that list ****s up psp lineup any day... Look, The only console i own is a psp....(sold my ps3) and i must say that the ds's past and future looks way better then what the psp offers. Period, this is like arguing the ps2 lineup with the gamecube. geesh

Zer0

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

are u sure? this shit about all psp games are ps2 ports its getting old dude,there is a ton of new games on psp

jarrod said:

Bandai Namco DS
-Famista DS (Namco)

Bandai Namco PSP

Capcom DS

Capcom PSP

SEGA DS

SEGA PSP
-none

Gulp. Didn't know that. Thks. Anyway, I don't understand the point to discuss about which machine is the best. Simple every mchine has his strentghs and weaknesses and DS & PSP are not different. If you think that both are worth the price, then buy them ! Simple !

cvxfreak

Zer0 said:

ds third party software from no japanese dvs is still MOSTLY CRAP

to the ones who think devs will change his bigs teams to work on wii and forget ps3 and 360 projects,sorry dudes but thats is Bs

Western handheld games have always mostly been crap though. Nothing new.

FightyF

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Wii projects will obviously get the green light more frequently and with better dev teams that the others if these trends continue. It is simple Business Theory 101.

Game publishing is a business after all, if publishers can make more money doing something then that is where they will do it.

Will publishers really make more money on the Wii? They have to ask themselves this. The DS game sales charts are dominated by Nintendo, and the Wii could face the same situation.

Krowley

Fight for Freeform said:
Will publishers really make more money on the Wii? They have to ask themselves this. The DS game sales charts are dominated by Nintendo, and the Wii could face the same situation.

But at the same time, wii games cost about 1/4 to make as far as I know, so that makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom