• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Q3 FY13 Results: TTT2 - 1.35M, Soul Calibur V - 1.56M, Naruto 1.01M, ToX2 500k

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My Japanese is a bit rusty and for some reason Namco's IR page only wants to feed me a half Japanese document for the most GAF relevant information, so I'm using VG247's summary:

VG247 said:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 sales hit 1.35 million worldwide, and for the reporting period, Soul Calibur 5 sold 870,000 bringing its worldwide total to 1.56 million.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm – Generations moved 660,000 units, and Tales of Xillia 2 moved 500,000 between its November release and December 31.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/namco-bandai-financials-profits-up-71-7-to-303-million/

namcosklyd.png

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/3QE8A39CE8B6B3E8B387E69699EFBC88E88BB1E78988EFBC89.pdf
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/3QE79FADE4BFA1(E88BB1E78988EFBC89.pdf

Sounds like good news. I'm especially glad that retail is still willing to take on more copies of SCV. Sales must be moving along at a decent pace for Namco.

Sayah

They had a target of 2 million for Tekken Tag 2. They'll reach it. But that is a drop for a series that usually sells around 3.5 million lifetime with each entry.

Ashes

Banned
Sold more than i thought. Good news.

I'm telling ya... That six button layout ds4 should make a comeback. :p

Maybe this time Namco Bandai could not dismantle the Soul Calibur team, wait a few years, hastily reassemble them and make them finish the game on an accelerated development schedule.

They had a target of 2 million for Tekken Tag 2. They'll reach it. But that is a drop for a series that usually sells around 3.5 million lifetime with each entry.
It just came out as this generation is winding down. I'm glad that Namco had reasonable expectations for a title coming out during this period.

Sayah

Sounds like good news. I'm especially glad that retail is still willing to take on more copies of SCV. Sales must be moving along at a decent pace for Namco.

SCV is an amazing game. Stunning to look at and I would call it the best looking fighter of this generation.

It just came out as this generation is winding down.

Yeah that and there was intense competition last year. It's not every year you have four 3D fighters release.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Xillia 2 broke 500k? Good for them. Well... it was lower than they were expecting but.. meh.

Mileena

Banned
Fighting game fans around the world have failed so hard. TTT2 is so much better than SCV but those sales numbers speak for themselves. Namco really deserves better Tag 2 sales :(

DJIzana

I'm very eager to see how well Ni no Kuni sold. I'm hoping Square Enix will take some notes there. (Going by their briefing they state it's a hard market. If Ni no Kuni sold well, in terms of JRPG's here, then we know what they can improve on.)

Skilletor

SC5!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3

Fighting game fans around the world have failed so hard. TTT2 is so much better than SCV but those sales numbers speak for themselves. Namco really deserves better Tag 2 sales :(

Nah. I think it's the opposite. :)

Opinions!

Any word on how Dark Souls did? I'm guessing we won't hear much on the digital numbers...

Edit: Their Q3 "others" report shows some significant growth compared to Q2. Makes me think Namco must have made a mint on unit sales for Dark Souls during the Winter. I'm sure other stuff probably played a bit part in that increase, though.
SCV is an amazing game. Stunning to look at and I would call it the best looking fighter of this generation.
Definitely the prettiest 3D fighter, I think. DOA5 follows closely behind. I just wish Namco would take a chance with a great SCV port for the PC. This game would be breathtaking there.
Maybe next time they won't work/rush the SC devs to death.
Seriously

I bet this game would have sold even more had they been given an extra six months and made a PC version. An expanded singleplayer experience would have done the series a world of good.

braves01

Banned
TTT2's sales seem pretty decent all things considered. It's really good if anyone's still on the fence about it. I've been thinking about picking up SCV too after seeing on a stream a while back.

I'm very curious about how many TTT2 sales were the Wii U edition. 20k? 50k?

DR2K

Banned

SCV is better looking, easier to play, runs at 60fps and in HD. Plus it's cheaper.

I wonder how good Namco was with sharing engine / content pipeline / network code between all their teams. If they were good with this costs for these games might have been pretty reasonable and they could be seeing some really solid profits.

Sayah

SCV is better looking, easier to play, runs at 60fps and in HD. Plus it's cheaper.

SCV didn't have to get a downgraded arcade port either. In any case, good for Namco. Make more powerhouse 3D fighters and I'll be happy.

I wonder how good Namco was with sharing engine / content pipeline / network code between all their teams. If they were good with this costs for these games might have been pretty reasonable and they could be seeing some really solid profits.

The netcode for SCV was adapted for TTT2. Tekken World Arena and customization decals were also adapted from SCV to TTT2. So yeah, pretty sure there was sharing going on between teams.

Disagree 100%, love SC and never could get into Tekken. Wish the hardcore tourney scene would follow suit.

The netcode for SCV was adapted for TTT2. Tekken World Arena and customization decals were also adapted from SCV to TTT2. So yeah, pretty sure there was sharing going on between teams.

I wish the SC team would share their character customisation with the TK team as well. TTT2's customisation was pitiful.

Sayah

I wish the SC team would share their character customisation with the TK team as well. TTT2's customisation was pitiful.

That's primarily because SCV doesn't have tag option/four characters on screen. Tekken Tag 2 has to handle a lot more. Not to mention that it has double the roster compared to SCV.

I do wonder if they'll ever have tag matches in SC, though. Would be interesting.

dunno why Naruto has to be missing for Nintendo platforms they are leaving some money out there

but glad to see Tekken Sell, well deserved

Hyun Sai

For one, TTT2 launched like 6 months later, so comparatively, it sold extremely well compared to SCV.

For two, TTT2 lacks some casual mode like Tekken bowl, Tekken force, all those little things useless for the competitive scene, but extremely important to grasp the casual.

Kikujiro

People should stop shouting bombas after one month of sales. Glad to see SCV doing actually well, game is great, it sucks that Namco rushed it, hope they learned the lesson for the next one.

For one, TTT2 launched like 6 months later, so comparatively, it sold extremely well compared to SCV.

For two, TTT2 lacks some casual mode like Tekken bowl, Tekken force, all those little things useless for the competitive scene, but extremely important to grasp the casual.
I take it you never bothered paying attention to the Wii U version of Tag 2.

Hyun Sai

I take it you never bothered paying attention to the Wii U version of Tag 2.

Wii-U version is what you're looking for. Too bad it landed way late on a platform the casual audience doesn't know about our the core gamer isn't impressed with

WiiU version numbers are irrelevant due to the extremely low player base compared to the PS360, like every other multiplatform released on this machine, but that is another debate. That's why I didn't mention it.

And I'm certainly not looking for it as I've already got the game on both systems.

kinggroin

Banned

Wii-U version is what you're looking for. Too bad it landed way late on a platform the casual audience doesn't know about our the core gamer isn't impressed with

kinggroin

Banned
WiiU version numbers are irrelevant due to the extremely low player base compared to the PS360, like every other multiplatform released on this machine, but that is another debate. That's why I didn't mention it.

And I'm certainly not looking for it as I've already got the game on both systems.

You almost sound offended I mentioned exactly the version of Tekken you were saying needed to be there day one.

Also, I already covered why its irrelevant. I agree with you and expanded on it. Wasn't saying YOU need this game or anything, just explaining that...ah fuck it.

Pull the stick out yer ass.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hope this means we can get a Soul Calibur with a huge single player component like we used to. I'm glad 5 did well so that the series doesn't die but I was pretty disappointed by the lack of content.

Hyun Sai

You almost sound offended I mentioned exactly the version of Tekken you were saying needed to be there day one.

Also, I already covered why its irrelevant. I agree with you and expanded on it. Wasn't saying YOU need this game or anything, just explaining that...ah fuck it.

Pull the stick out yer ass.
You seem the one to be offended easily. I responded to the first quote, I just added yours because it was similar. And as english is not my main, I misunderstood your first sentence. Peace, I know you shared my sentiment, no need to call names like that.

FinKL

Does it really say "SOUL CARIBUR"

TTT2 didn't sell as well as SC5 I think because it hasn't been out as long. I think TTT2 probably has a bigger hit around launch than SC5 did. I like both games, but SC5 content is a shame if you look at the earlier versions.

Manbig

SCV didn't have to get a downgraded arcade port either. In any case, good for Namco. Make more powerhouse 3D fighters and I'll be happy.

The arcade version of Tekken Tag 2 is not a port...

Also, it's thanks to the arcade version that the base characters weren't as busted as the DLC characters and a few characters in the SCV cast, so I'm okay with them continuing this trend.

Takao

Banned
oh no budokai hd collection must've sold 10,000 copies

no budokai tenkaichi hd collection then

whatever shall i do

Sayah

The arcade version of Tekken Tag 2 is not a port...

Also, it's thanks to the arcade version that the base characters weren't as busted as the DLC characters and a few characters in the SCV cast, so I'm okay with them continuing this trend.

Yeah, I was saying the console versions are an arcade port. It wasn't build from the ground up for consoles. Maybe you misread it or maybe I mis-wrote it.

Top Bottom