• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco's Dark Souls 2 marketing: "We're treating this as a massive, massive AAA title"

Mxrz

You can say its just marketing, but that marketing doesn't spring out of the air free of charge and without expectations. Namco-bandai isn't some bastion of integrity either.

I've not moved fron my cautiously optimistic perch, and I'm not going to until I have the game in hand.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think it's a futile endeavour that's gonna cut into profits and potentially endanger the franchise.

No quest markers, no regenerating health, no flashy arrows on the ground to guide you, punishing gameplay... Have you seen casuals play the game? They get stuck on the asylum demon.

A huge campaign will just flood the market with used copies unless they dumb it down.

Supamon

Neo Member
A friend outright told me he wouldn't help me at all in my first run of DeS, only after my first, solo playthrough. We just finished a co-op 2nd run and now I can understand why he told me that.

I did that to a friend too. Another guy and I were helping a friend of ours on his first play through and it basically ended up being us carrying him through half the game till I realized how pointless this was and stopped.

That magical feeling of exploring and learning new things can only happen once.

popyea

I'm not worried. I don't trust namco as far as I can throw them, but the fact that they only handle western publishing tells me that they aren't all that close to the actual product. It's Fromsoftware's baby; Namco are just going all in on their investment.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Pvp adds good replay, but NG+ feels kind of pointless. I want experiences to vary rather than numbers to change.

Play different styles, challenge yourself.

I'm about to finish the game without using shields and only some crappy starter pants for armor (hulk cosplay). Not being able to use shields changes the game completely if you are used to the blocking play style.

njean777

It's called pyro and int spells. All those super skilled speedrunners just mash their pyro, no wonder they beat the game in an hour.

I run pyro but never use my pyro spells unless I am invaded. I run full dex pyro, but rely on my weapons and shield more then my spells. Never buff my weapons either.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I run pyro but never use my pyro spells unless I am invaded. I run full dex pyro, but rely on my weapons and shield more then my spells. Never buff my weapons either.

You should try casters, they demolish the game. My sorc made a joke out of the game's hardest stuff. Spells are awfully expensive tho.

Cyrano

This is why I wish Dark Souls was less predictable. It's so easy to learn every nook in the game after a few playthoughs. All the enemies stay in the same exact spot. The replay value is not great at all. All it's really good for is trying different character builds, and I'm not interested in that.
Man, Dark Souls is anything but predictable. Yes, I'm aware enemy locations and such stay the same, but I've never adapted fully to certain boss fights (Artorias), there are still battles which I would much rather not play, and going into human form with the looming problems of PvP (given that I tend to play builds that are bad for PvP), the game hasn't gotten old yet. Yes, I know what's coming around the corner, but that doesn't mean it's bad or has no replay value.

Replay value is in the base mechanics and exploring what's there. This game is made for that. And it's wonderful for it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I like the predictability of Dark Souls. It makes replaying quite fun, at least for me. I love seeing how fast I can make it through certain portions once I know the areas.

njean777

You should try casters, they demolish the game. My sorc made a joke out of the game's hardest stuff. Spells are awfully expensive tho.

I tried sorcerer but ended up not liking the play style. I will go back to her one day, but for now I am trying to beat my NG++(ps3) and running my pyro (pc) through another playthrough.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm not worried. I don't trust namco as far as I can throw them, but the fact that they only handle western publishing tells me that they aren't all that close to the actual product. It's Fromsoftware's baby; Namco are just going all in on their investment.

You better be worried, since they control the paychecks.

Man, Dark Souls is anything but predictable. Yes, I'm aware enemy locations and such stay the same, but I've never adapted fully to certain boss fights (Artorias), there are still battles which I would much rather not play, and going into human form with the looming problems of PvP (given that I tend to play builds that are bad for PvP), the game hasn't gotten old yet. Yes, I know what's coming around the corner, but that doesn't mean it's bad or has no replay value.

Replay value is in the base mechanics and exploring what's there. This game is made for that. And it's wonderful for it.

Compared to other games, yeah there is a ton of replay value, but that's if you:

1) Enjoy speedruns/ difficulty runs
2) Like PVP and play online

I want the world itself to be more dynamic, that's all. I think that's the last piece that would make this absolutely timeless. So, yeah, I'm not ripping on the game. It's one of my all time favorites, that's why I'm being critical.

Orayn

Guys, they just mean pouring money into things like that awesome VGA CG trailer. That thing probably cost a lot.

If you want to draw reasonable conclusions, sure. Wouldn't you prefer to use this as damning evidence that Dark Souls II is now Gears of War, though?

SJRB

Gold Member
If you're treating this as a massive AAA title, you might want to release some wallpapers or something? Some occasional screenshots?

Anything?

Dresden

Not worried about the game. I doubt it'll be Games of the Generation like De/Da Souls were, but it should be fun. Give the devs the benefit of the doubt, and ignore the inevitable shift in marketing--this was going to happen, after the success of the first Dark Souls.

Oh god, they will dumb it down, invest in corny live-action trailers and stuff and after it fails to set the charts on fire, triple A style, they will swiftly kill off the franchise.

Raxus

After seeing the gameplay I am pretty confident they aren't changing the core of the game too much. It is just being marketed more. As long as they keep their sales realistic then everything should be ok.

Parakeetman

Worst part about it is that the KINGS OF OVERPRICED DLC (bandainamco) are in control of this. AAA obviously means DLC UP THE ASS.

BOHICA gentlemen.

/semi-joking but genuinely concerned.

nasos_333

Jesus Christ some of you are idiots. This story is about marketing and has nothing to do with the game itself.

It is just that so many games have been 100% destroyed right after such marketing that make people sceptical

We will see, of course is premature to come to conclusions without seeing the game, but sure is a reason to worry a lot

Foffy

Banned
I have always worried when From became buddies with Namco that something bad might happen. I hope my fears aren't put to reality. If anything happens with Dark Souls II that gets the community pretty peeved, I wouldn't put it past the idea that Namco did something. Weren't they the ones who shoved Hidetaka Miyazaki out of leading development for this game?

Parakeetman

I have always worried when From became buddies with Namco that something bad might happen. I hope my fears aren't put to reality. If anything happens with Dark Souls II that gets the community pretty peeved, I wouldn't put it past the idea that Namco did something. Weren't they the ones who shoved Hidetaka Miyazaki out of leading development for this game?

I wouldnt say buddies, more like got bought out.

If sony was smart they never should have let go of the series.

$10 for 10 Humanity.

Could highly see that happening.

Forget there being a bunch of unique sets in the game, its going to be buy most of them as micro transactions now! (also can see this happening)

Since regardless of what folks think, its the publisher that makes the decisions on these things and not the developers. They just follow orders, or else no coin in the purse.

BlazinAm

I'm imagining this but more Dark Souls like:

RVYR8T4.jpg

So.... Nirolak..... how was it? Tasted good?

Can't wait for the Inception horn!
Too true.

Jesus Christ some of you are idiots. This story is about marketing and has nothing to do with the game itself.
Why do you invest heavily into marketing? Because you want to sell more of your product. "Widening the net" as the guy said. In order to sell more of your product you must broaden your target group, make it more accessible. I mean they hope to attract some Skyrim players.

nasos_333

I wouldnt say buddies, more like got bought out.

If sony was smart they never should have let go of the series.

Sony can still produce a Demons SOuls 2 for PS4 and if they do it right would be reason enough for everyone to own the system

So, not all is lost for them

I don't understand some of the reactions here. Early news had the word Skyrim in it and people flipped out, then they saw the game footage and everything was fine.

Now they are clearly talking about marketing (which will probably be embarrassing no doubt) but people are repeating the process again. We will probably see footage at E3 that will calm everyone's nerves again.

nasos_333

This better not fucking touch the development of this game.

Does removing the man behind the first game qualify for that ?

Reminds me of what happened after the man behind FF7-8-9 left Square, one of the most loved series of all time ended with one of the worst games ever produced (FF13)

Orayn

Why do you invest heavily into marketing? Because you want to sell more of your product. "Widening the net" as the guy said. In order to sell more of your product you must broaden your target group, make it more accessible. I mean they hope to attract some Skyrim players.

There are reasonable ways of doing that, though. Approachability and depth are not a zero sum game.

You better be worried, since they control the paychecks.

Not completely. From Software is still publishing the game in Japan, so it's not like they were bought out by Namco-Bandai and have completely lost creative control of the series.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
We are all worried about the sequel.

Myself I'm worried about the director's talk about having fewer enemies in the first half of the game. Running through things is easy enough as it is and by the looks of it the first half of the game will be nothing but a lap. If anything they should address how effective running is instead of making it easier.

Soriku

Wasn't everyone positive when the gameplay video came out? They also said they weren't dumbing it down. Why is everyone freaking out now?

Orayn

We are all worried about the sequel.

Myself I'm worried about the director's talk about having fewer enemies in the first half of the game. Running through things is easy enough as it is and by the looks of it the first half of the game will be nothing but a lap. If anything they should address how effective running is instead of making it easier.

There was a rationale behind the decrease in enemies, though. He said it was to make sure people to by on their toes about hidden and lurking enemies, like the dragon skeleton and the cyclops behind the door. It's part of their broader plan to incorporate scenarios that bring up real life phobias, like tight space, heights, etc.

Honestly, I'd be very happy with an overall lower enemy density, given the enemies that are present are smarter and tougher. Even some of my favorite areas of Dark Souls could get pretty clusterfuck-y with enemies getting aggro'd because you stepped too close to a wall they were behind, small rooms full of enemies with wildly flailing area attacks, and random awkward lunge attacks that come out of nowhere. If there's anything Dark Souls can be fairly criticized for, it's completed areas where the guy in charge went nuts with the "place enemy" tool. Darkroot Garden/Basin, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Crystal Cavern and the wooded area outside of it, etc.

Wasn't everyone positive when the gameplay video came out? They also said they weren't dumbing it down. Why is everyone freaking out now?

"Well, to each his own. I chose my path, you chose the way of the hero. And they found you amusing for a while, the people of this city. But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you. Why bother?"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, what if they succeed, Dark Souls 2 gets mass appeal but is still every bit as challenging as the first, changing the world of gaming forever.

In an alternate reality, Dark Souls 2 killed dumbed down games.

Eusis

Oh god, they will dumb it down, invest in corny live-action trailers and stuff and after it fails to set the charts on fire, triple A style, they will swiftly kill off the franchise.
Given they're not EA and other series are floundering some they'd probably keep going but slash marketing down to just above Dark Souls's next time.

Foffy

Banned
ITT: People shocked that a publisher/developer wants people to play their game

I have nothing wrong with a company wanting a bigger pool of players. But AAA games and Skyrim particularly are titles that are big because they're so open, so simple to grasp. Their complexities are numbed for the sake of accessibility and capturing the attention of all players. I don't mean to sound like I'm on a high horse here, but the reason the Souls games (and their granddaddy the King's Field series) are so admired by "niches" is because they're complex, take thought, and lots of consideration from the player. There's none of that press a button, something badass happens like in nearly every other non-Nintendo AAA games. They require intelligence from their players, because intelligence and thought was given to the mechanics. Trying to hit the AAA field, if we simply look at the titles we see as AAA, means making everything simpler, more shallow, and easier. This is the exact opposite of why people love From's games in the first place. Dark Souls was the antithesis to that culture of AAA games, but I fear Namco will damage that for the sake of making it fit in with the big leagues.

VariantX

Hope in this case the marketing budget does not go out of control to the point where an massive number of sales is required to cover its cost along with its development.

Orayn

Oh God this is not good, Namco why do you keep wanting to publicly talk about messing with your winning formula? :(

...They're not. From Software has been very clear about where the design of the game is going, and it's not getting casual. This is strictly on Namco's end, about how they plan to promote and market the game. There are legitimate concerns with this as well, yes, but they're distinct from fears that the game is getting dumbed down.

Hope in this case the marketing budget does not go out of control to the point where an massive number of sales is required to cover its cost along with its development.

Yeah, this is what I'm actually worried about. Demon's Souls' advertisement was non-existent and Dark Souls' was pretty modest, so I don't see a problem with upping the ante, but I really hope they don't go too far and dig a hole for themselves that can only be filled by unrealistic sales.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There was a rationale behind the decrease in enemies, though. He said it was to make sure people to by on their toes about hidden and lurking enemies, like the dragon skeleton and the cyclops behind the door. It's part of their broader plan to incorporate scenarios that bring up real life phobias, like tight space, heights, etc.

Honestly, I'd be very happy with an overall lower enemy density, given the enemies that are present are smarter and tougher. Even some of my favorite areas of Dark Souls could get pretty clusterfuck-y with enemies getting aggro'd because you stepped too close to a wall they were behind, small rooms full of enemies with wildly flailing area attacks, and random awkward lunge attacks that come out of nowhere. If there's anything Dark Souls can be fairly criticized for, it's completed areas where the guy in charge went nuts with the "place enemy" tool. Darkroot Garden/Basin, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Crystal Cavern and the wooded area outside of it, etc.

"Well, to each his own. I chose my path, you chose the way of the hero. And they found you amusing for a while, the people of this city. But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you. Why bother?"

That sounds very good in paper but considering even in those you call dense areas (which I don't agree btw) its easy to run past everything half of dk2 might be reduced to nothing but pretty walls.

I don't know if you tried but you can run from the last bonfire to the boss in all these areas without killing a single enemy except perhaps one golem but that one doesn't respawn.

Orayn

That sounds very good in paper but considering even in those you call dense areas (which I don't agree btw) its easy to run past everything half of dk2 might be reduced to nothing but pretty walls.

I don't know if you tried but you can run from the last bonfire to the boss in all these areas without killing a single enemy except perhaps one golem but that one doesn't respawn.

Yeah, most of the places I mentioned actually aren't too bad when it comes to running. Where you have to worry are the Undead Burg and Blighttown, since they're replete with narrow passages dudes who lunge completely at random.

Top Bottom