• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Reread

Veelk

Banned
Update: Land of Waves arc

61-ihJwgBBL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So after many, many, many years after I dropped it, I have decided that I am going to reread Naruto. If you've ever talked to me about this series, then you know that this series is important to me for two reasons.

The first reason is that this was a highly transformative work for me personally. It was my gateway anime and when I caught up with that, I immediately started reading the manga because I was just so into the story. I had to get more and I am pretty sure I got to the latest chapter at that time just as the timeskip happened. I loved this series and it kind of crystalized a lot of writing tropes/techniques that I have a personal affectation for to this day. I love rivals and foils. I love battles that are equal parts superpowers and clever thinking. I like organizations of villains. There's a lot of stuff like that my earliest memories of getting hyped watching was Naruto. And it also introduced me to forum discussion proper. I talked about it for hours on end online. That too was formative for how I discussed storytelling with other people.

The second reason ended up being the worst manga I've ever read. Yes, I know that sounds contradictory. And no, I am not speaking in hyberbole. It's the actual worst (for me. Remember, the term is subjective)

Look, I'm sure you can find other works in which you can make arguments of it being objectively worse written, but for me, Naruto hyped my 12 year old mind up with promises of epicness and let me down hard as it went on. Except I was reading it on a weekly basis, so it wasn't like other disappointing works of fiction where. It was YEARS of pure stupidity, character assassination, and piss poor conflict resolutions before I finally dropped it sometime in the middle of the Ninja War. It turned one of my nerd passions into something I truly loathed. It got bad. And for me, that makes truly the worst story I've ever experienced. I decided I would just finish it when it ended. But then it ended and I didn't really want to because I forgot what the hell was going on. So I decided I'd do a reread sometime eventually.

Well, eventually is now. And I am doing it because I only remember the broad strokes of my complaints about it. I want closure. I want to be able to say, precisely, where and how the story truly fell apart. And I want to revisit the good memories of the old days too. It's not strictly speaking the first time I've done it, and I know that Part 1 of the story isn't perfect itself either. The rose tinted glasses of nostalgia have come long off. But I nevertheless want to look back at the stuff I fell in love with as a kid.

Anyway, since the manga is 700 chapters long, I'm instead just gonna do my impressions as I read along instead of reading the whole thing (or even a significant chunk), since there is a lot that I'm gonna want to talk about.

Introductions (chapter 1):

The opening chapter of the manga does 3 main things: Show glimpses of what made Naruto good, shows glimpses of what made Naruto bad, and in retrospect shows that Kishimoto didn't plan the story out terribly well.

Recap: The first thing we see is Naruto acting like a little shit, getting in trouble for it, and no one likes him. Only Iruka treats him with any kind of decency. We find out that he has big ambitions to be Hokage, but then find out he's an utter failure at a normal technique. We get a sad scene of him looking at parents who he hears talking about how they all hate him. Mizuki takes this moment to exploit his emotional state to get him to steal the scroll for him, which Naruto does, learns his Shadow clone technique, and then Iruka finds him, then Mizuki finds him and explains to Naruto his past (how the 9 tails was sealed in him), which tries to cause emotional turmoil with both him and Iruka while he tries to kill them by insinuating that Naruto is responsible for the deaths of his parents via the 9 tails fox and how he should just be hated. Fortunately, Iruka doesn't hate him for this and Naruto ends up using his newly learned technique to beat up Mizuki, at which point Iruka rewards him with the headband he sought.

cxxdQ2c.png

It would have been kinda interesting route to take if Iruka had been crippled from this encounter as Iruka has become something of an extrenuous father figure to Naruto, given he already gets Jiraiya later on, who also factors into the plot instead of just...being there. .

So what this opening chapter does really well is establish the tone. Naruto is a childish character who does a bunch of pranks that...well, they really aren't all that funny. If anything, it's funnier to see him yelled at for being a nuisance. But the twist of the chapter is very relatable, if crudely implemented (a character straight up says that Naruto does it just because he wants attention). Naruto is introduced as a little shit, but becomes more enjoyable when Iruka sits down and actually connects with him as a person. And it's relatable because the hatred Naruto deals with isn't something explicit and overt, it's just prejudice. Any teenager feels like they got the world against them even if they think it's unintentional and because it's a thing that also actually exists, it gives the manga this authentic feel. Like, yeah, you did just see a guy get hit with a giant shuriken and there's ninja magic, but combining this with this social factor just gives it a nice kick. I can honestly say that if I were reading this for the first time, I think I would atleast be intrigued. Because this has....had potential.

IULHTAH.png

I really, really like this image. I like canine creatures in general, but making it a Kaiju based off a myth is just a concoction of cool, that also further builds the worldbuilding. This had me wondering "What is this thing? Are there more of them? Whats going to happen when it comes back?" It's just a really intriguing story concept neatly fitted in.

Which is not to say that the rough spots don't show more roughly than ever nowadays. Mizuki is silly levels of evil, like pure mustache twirling for no reason, but I have to wonder, what was his actual plan? Steal the scroll, I know, but what was he going to do with it? Apparently they contain super dangerous techniques, but Shadow Clone Jutsu isn't that dangerous a technique, so are the other techniques just way higher levels? We don't really know because this super powerful scroll is never really brought up a second time.

There's also the fact that Naruto went from not being able to keep up with any of his peers to producing a thousand clones, each of which are better than the stuff his peers did. And he learned this inside an hour or so after getting the scroll, all without much explanation (maybe that's the real power of the scroll, makes learning hard techniques easier?). But the crown kicker is probably the fact that we don't get to see the money shot of Naruto kicking Mizuki's ass. It's like the author drew the shot of a thousand clones and then was like "Fuck it, I'm done, I can't do this anymore, I'm just ending it"

FAMMi5F.jpg

The first and, as far as I remember, only time Naruto has summoned this many clones at once. And we don't even get to see them fight.

A lot of this is simply not thought through for the future. The Shadow Clones, taken scroll that's supposed to be so powerful that it can make anyone a super ninja, ends up not only being a technique that's fairly commonplace in the ninja world, but also it's not particularly strong since they take can only take 1 hit and poof. Then you have the hokage, greatest ninja in Konoha, genuinely passing out by Naruto transforming into a nude girl (bet Orochimaru would have loved to know it was that easy), and Iruka himself just becoming an extraneous character in Naruto's life that Kishimoto had to keep in because he was hte first one who acknowledged Naruto. He has no purpose other than being Naruto's paternal support figure, when the premise of his character is that he isn't supposed to have one of those!

So yeah, Naruto is flawed....but there is value here. Value that Kishimoto would later go on to capitalize...then squander.

Konohamaru (Chapter 2):

Who cares.

]Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi (Chapters 3-8):

MSgKjar.jpg

Knowing what I know is to come, they really should have just made them a couple

c1AHhXw.png

Ow, the edge

VBoHqJr.png

iZPtZeS.png

Just normal 12 year old girl thoughts.

Recap: We get introduced to Naruto's squad, which will go on to become the most important characters in the manga (especially Sasuke). Naruto ties up Sasuke (that he is able to do this is hilarious) so he can pretend to be him and make advances on Sakura. Sakura, meanwhile, has the thirst of a dehydrated sponge, jesus christ. And Kakashi is introduced as a lazy but competent ninja. He gives them a physical test to pass, which is actually a secret test of character, and they pass and become ninjas.

The notable thing about it is the ending when Kakashi foreshadows how serious the ninja life is supposed to get. He's had friends die, and this is a stark contrast to the fairly goofy tone that the manga has shown thus far. The kids here, despite being trained to kill, still really act like kids. Naruto is a goofball that shoots off his mouth, Sasuke is Miller's Batman levels of darkness and Sakura....well....Anyway, this is actually good. It's more of what was introduced in the first chapter of serious shit happening in the adult world of the manga, even though the focus right now is on Naruto as a child. Kakashi's lesson in teamwork is pretty hokey otherwise. Kishimoto really didn't sell me on him being a hardass when it comes to teamwork given that he passes them the first time they do something right. Kakashi certainly makes a good impression in terms of style and trolling, but there's not all that much to him.

The interesting thing is that Sasuke is introduced as a pretty....I don't want to say good, and I don't want to say fun, but he's not a bad guy. He only goes after Naruto when Naruto fucks with his life. He defends Naruto to Sakura (well...'defends'. It's more that Sakura pressed a hotbutton by blaming Naruto's behavior on his lack of parents and then complaining about her parents scolding her) and he's the one who gives Naruto lunch in the exercise. (By the way, Naruto and Sakura not knowing about Sasuke's parents is another example of how Kishimoto didn't plan ahead. Really guys, you never heard of the Uchiha fucking massacre? Similarly, Sasuke refers to Itachi as a "certain someone", as if it wouldn't be blazingly obvious to anyone who lived in Konoha who it'd be.) Naruto hates him, but the way he's presented here, he's arrogant and condescending to others, but when you're stuck between Naruto being a jackass and Sakura having nothing on her mind other than how much she wants to do him, I can't entirely blame him.

Sakura, on the other hand.....really makes a bad impression. First she shit talks Naruto for not having a parent and complains about her own. You know, like a teenager would. But in these chapters, it's plainly established that Naruto, Sasuke, and Kakashi all have darker secrets that weigh onto their personalities that provide a contrast and context for their immaturity. Sakura, even moreso than Naruto, comes off as a very stereotypical teenager whose got no idea what it's like in the real world. And, while I'm not opposed to teens being teens, she is still a trained ninja, so she should have some semblance of maturity in her. Like, she honestly has no goal in her life beyond fucking Sasuke. And I do mean fucking because I'm reading from the Viz translation and they make it pretty clear that this is pure lust for her....which is kinda uncomfortable given she's 12 years old. I'd say it's poor characterization, and it is really, really is, but it's just baffling how stark the contrast is between Sakura and the other characters. They all feel like they have purpose and direction and then here's Sakura being completely out of her depth. And it's really unfortunate that Kishimoto basically never takes her far beyond this. She just mostly becomes nicer, but she doesn't even get her own technique until Part 2.

And that's it for now. There's not much meat here, because this really is just the start of the manga and it takes off in the next arc, but there was more here than I recalled from memory. From what I remember, the Water Country arc is arguably the best in the series, so I'm looking forward to reading that later. Also, I think future posts will be shorter since I'll be recapping less, since those arcs are better remembered and a lot of this was just getting people in the mindset of the series, but they could run just as long as I talk about the stuff in them that I can actually sink my teeth into. The themes and character development and such.

Also, for rules of the thread, I'm not gonna say that you need to spoiler anything, but I'm basically not really gonna talk about stuff unless I'm at that part of the manga, so if you want to discuss how awesome the last part of the ninja war is or something, I got nothing to say to you for now.

n0razi

Everything after the Chuunin exams went to total anime trope shit for me. Everything up to there was fantastic though (same with the anime).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Wow, I saw this thread title and was like "ha ha we should make Veelk do this" but look who the fuckin OP is.

🤔

Goddamm that Sasuke quote is Shadow the Hedgehog levels of edge.

Speaking of not planning I always found it funny Sasuke didn't know who Madara was. You can't tell me the village tried to wipe out any mention of him yet they still keep a giant statue of him next to the 1st Hokage, not to mention Obito's dumbass knew who he was.

I like to imagine whenever someone asks about the statue they get "IT'S NO ONE, DON'T ASK ABOUT IT, FAKE NEWS!"

theWB27

I don't get it
Naruto is still good during the Sauce retrieval arc and even a little bit afterwards

It is. I didn't pick it apart like a lot of people seem to though. The akatsuki were pretty decent. Never not hate Deidara.

Goddamm that Sasuke quote is Shadow the Hedgehog levels of edge.

Speaking of not planning I always found it funny Sasuke didn't know who Madara was. You can't tell me the village tried to wipe out any mention of him yet they still keep a giant statue of him next to the 1st Hokage, not to mention Obito's dumbass knew who he was.

I like to imagine whenever someone asks about the statue they get "IT'S NO ONE, DON'T ASK ABOUT IT, FAKE NEWS!"

I find it he didn't know because none of his clan was there and he had an extremely one track mind.

Veelk

Banned
Wow, I saw this thread title and was like "ha ha we should make Veelk do this" but look who the fuckin OP is.

🤔
This has always been my destiny. My curse.

But the early stuff isn't so bad. It's the time skipped that I'm dreading, and where you sadists are gonna get the most fun out of me.

Sesha

A consistent trait of Naruto's is that when he's serious, he's smarter, stronger and more capable. Naruto creating a billion clones shows his determination and hints at his hidden potential. Kishimoto even had Iruka state it outright by commenting that Naruto could be stronger than all previous Hokage.

This has always been my destiny. My curse.

But the early stuff isn't so bad. It's the time skipped that I'm dreading, and where you sadists are gonna get the most fun out of me.
Can't wait for you to get to well...it's definitely after Sakura went fucking retarded.

Currently watching the entire anime series myself (skipping filler) with a friend.

I watched this back when it first came out when I was in high school and I dropped it right after the original arc ended and there was a ton of filler before Shippuden started. So I had never seen any Shippuden.

Friend and I have finished the original arc and are now on episode 85 of Shippuden (again, skipping filler).

It's silly and zany stuff, but we've been having a lot of fun watching it so far. When things don't make sense, you just gotta roll your eyes and realize this is a show about kid ninjas. All in good fun.

The last good arc of Shippuden in my opinion was Shikamaru's. Before Sasuke took half the plot just going after people for revenge and not really doing anything. His team were possibly the most useless new additions ever.

The last good arc of Shippuden in my opinion was Shikamaru's. Before Sasuke took half the plot just going after people for revenge and not really doing anything. His team were possibly the most useless new additions ever.
Shikamaru had the best plotting. I love that arc, Kakashi vs Hidan and Kakazu is god tier.

It's popular for a reason, it has a lot of personality, and I love the various jutsus in the same way people love seeing the what the next stand can do in JoJo.

I've always liked how it embraces its Japaneseness so much, with the genuinely cool mythology and style of Japan being in full display.

Honestly, the main thing that lets it down is Naruto himself. It's odd how much cooler the stories around the main character are than the actual main character, though he gains more depth as the series progresses.

Mediking

Its the same as One Piece. So good in the beginning and some arcs after that... but then it just goes downhill.

Kishimoto gave too much focus on Sasuke. Just too much.

PaulBizkit

Its the same as One Piece. So good in the beginning and some arcs after that... but then it just goes downhill.

Disagree. One Piece is flat at the beginning, Arlong Park (nami's arc) is the starting point for greatness and never goes down again except for Thriller Bark. The wild ride never ends and that's why OP is OP.

Agree. He just didn't know what to do, the Pain arc was the last time the show was above good. But "defeating" pain with Talk No Jutsu and not acknowledging Hinata's sacrifice became a sign that the Kishimoto didn't care anymore and was just going thru the motions (and the Akatsuki were the most boring villains ever).
We wanted more of the Seven Swordmen of the Mist, Kishimotooo, what became of them???

I was really happy when it ended because I hated to read each new episode every week just to see how bad it turned out. When it ended I promised to myself to never read a series as long as this one ever again. Then I watched the movie about Naruto's kid... which made me think it had potential, and right now I'm one of the few who comment about the new anime in its OT.

=____=
Some people never learn.

About the first part: I started reading it because the character designs looked kind of cool: simple but with a ton of personality. I was surprised by how dark was the story of some of these kids, but as OP pointed out Kishimoto took some of these characters too far and created Shadow the Edgehog clones, one of which took the manga hostage for about 70% of its duration and I hated myself for coming back for more even knowing how everything was spiraling out of control. All in all I loved the first part until the end of the Chuunin exams. The "rescue" Sasuke arc, while filled with intense battle that let other characters shine, was also one of the most stupid things I've read in a manga in terms of justification, which is basically what defines the entire manga from that point going forward.

rambis

Banned

I dunno if I agree. I think alot of people just lump all the Uchiha stuff together as Sasuke but he himself is absent for large parts of the story.

He made a brief appearance in the second arc. Then not until the Itachi pursuit arc. Then the fight with B and the Kage Summit arc. Then not until very late in the war.

The Itachi and Kage summit arcs he played a large role in and most of his memorable moments were within these but there's not much screen time for Sasuke outside of this.

Agree. He just didn't know what to do, the Pain arc was the last time the show was above good. But "defeating" pain with Talk No Jutsu and not acknowledging Hinata's sacrifice became a sign that the Kishimoto didn't care anymore and was just going thru the motions (and the Akatsuki were the most boring villains ever).
We wanted more of the Seven Swordmen of the Mist, Kishimotooo, what became of them???

Naruto from the start was never meant to kill any villain. That was one of Kishi's main goals with the series.

Bakercat

I really liked naruto up until the end of the pain arc. I felt that was such a climatic conclusion to naruto's story. If we didn't have Tobi and Sasuke to wrap up I'd say end the series there, or at the very least do a time skip. Just felt weird that the next arc comes right after this point.

zethren

Banned
100% of the original Naruto manga series is good. I'll stand by that and die on that hill. Shippuden lost me though, before pulling me back in. It ends pretty strong overall though.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, when OP goes "downhill" in the way that Naruto and Bleach have, then we can talk. Instead it's more like it went from amazing to just great, with the current arc potentially climbing back to those highs.

---

On topic, don't mind me Veelk, just gonna oive vicariously through you as you refresh my memory concerning these series lol

Just your first post alone already has me reminiscing...

Euphony

Banned
good luck to you OP I expect you'll regret doing so.

Does Sakura ever develop a unique skill? She basically ends up as discount Tsunade.

If you're talking about at the end where Naruto and Sasuke
each get unique powers from the sage, then no I don't remember Sakura getting anything like that apart from what Tsunade had. Unless you count her ability to someone remain devoted to the person who tried to kill her multiple times and then, when they had a child, left her to raise Sarada alone as a unique skill
. She just becomes a clone of Tsunade.

On a more relevant note. I am interested in following your reread of Naruto, Veelk. As someone who only came to read/watch Naruto near the end of the series, I'm looking forward to reading a retrospective from someone who started earlier and likely had a stronger connection to the series than I did, even if that connection ended being a negative one.

each get unique powers from the sage, then no I don't remember Sakura getting anything like that apart from what Tsunade had. Unless you count her ability to someone remain devoted to the person who tried to kill her multiple times and then, when they had a child, left her to raise Sarada alone as a unique skill
. She just becomes a clone of Tsunade.

In her defense, Sasuke knows how to touch her forehead like no one else can.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't get it
Naruto is still good during the Sauce retrieval arc and even a little bit afterwards
For me it's good all the way up to the war arc, with one lull, which is the second arc in part 2 with Sai. Even the Kage Summit arc was badass - introducing all the other village leaders, Danzo (who is an awesome villain), etc. Sure it had Sasuke being a jerk for dumb as hell reasons but that's one stain on an otherwise awesome arc.

Tsunade Retrieval/Sai arcs are really the only two low points in an otherwise consistently engaging series (not counting the War where there was a very obvious drop in quality). The war just... well, I won't lie. It could have been a lot better. Everything post-war has been good (Boruto gaiden chapters, Naruto/Sasuke final battle, Boruto in general). I still really hate what they did to the tailed beasts being won over by friendship, and how Hashirama and Madara became like literal ninja gods, and how there were very obvious retcons or lack of planning (Third Hokage is the most powerful ever!!! Besides... all of these other historical people!) But overall, I like the series a lot. The highlight absolutely is those first few arcs, and of course I wish the series had kept with a more grounded ninja-like atmosphere, but that doesn't devalue the rest, at least not for me.

I feel like it's a good series that had a few missteps along the way. Still has some of my favorite villains and powers in fantasy fiction.

Pain Arc was indeed the peak of the series and it quickly went downhill afterwards. The absence and presence of Sasuke surely has nothing to do with that.
each get unique powers from the sage.
Nah I mean how Naruto and Sasuke put their own spin on techniques they learned. Like the two clones rasenshuriken and Sasukes chidori.

The Viz localization is, honestly, shockingly poor. Lots of bizarre, outdated slang, inconsistent typesetting and really obvious attempts to flower up the dialogue ("you bucolic nonentities" is an actual insult that's used). That Sakura thing you cited is one of the cringiest examples.

There are other earlier Viz releases that had major problems, but Naruto and Reborn were easily their worst.

Euphony

Banned
Pain Arc was indeed the peak of the series and it quickly went downhill afterwards. The absence and presence of Sasuke surely has nothing to do with that.

Nah I mean how Naruto and Sasuke put their own spin on techniques they learned. Like the two clones rasenshuriken and Sasukes chidori.

Again I don't remember Sakura every getting something unique or at least doing her own unique thing with what she learned like Naruto and Sasuke did. All she gets are
the increased strength from chakra control and the forehead seal thing from Tsunade. She also gets medical training and being able to summon the big slug, Katsuyu, both of which were also stuff Tsunade did

I'll be back when you get to the second half of Part Two. That's what I really want to see.

Specifically, right after Itachi dies and Sasuke gains the Mangekyou. For me, that's when the series starts to go downhill in the most obvious of ways.

rambis

Banned
Again I don't remember Sakura every getting something unique or at least doing her own unique thing with what she learned like Naruto and Sasuke did. All she gets are
the increased strength from chakra control and the forehead seal thing from Tsunade. She also gets medical training and being able to summon the big slug, Katsuyu, both of which were also stuff Tsunade did

She is basically just Tsunade plus, if that. Overall a terrible character.

Won

I think Sakura was the first time I was really bothered with how shounen tends to struggle with girl characters. Like, do something with here, Kishimoto! Something that makes sense! Oh, you made her cry again! Very ninja!

Yeah same asked because I wanted confirmation just how useless she is throughout the whole story.
She's not even Tsunade plus but just discount Tsunade she never surpasses her like Naruto and Sasuke do.

Even afterwards she ends up as a chump.

Meffer

I liked this series when it was coming out and I stopped putting effort in reading it after the Exam. Though I was aware of what what happening simply by exposure through bits of the anime and the internet and reading scans out curiosity. I can say that it just simply lost what I found interesting about it. And the story did really really get stupid.

I like the Pain arc and agree it was the last good part but the ending just ruined it for me.

We already had one amazing life-restoring jutsu for a person's life sacrifice but Pain took it to ridiculous levels and literally reset all of the losses of the arc.

Top Bottom