• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NatGeo: How a DVD Case Killed a Whale

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcrunch

qSNgd74.jpg

ax8kvnb.jpg

JzspUBC.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/01/150107-sea-trash-whales-dolphins-marine-mammals/
In August of 2014, biologists from the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center Stranding Response Team were notified of an unusual sighting in the Elizabeth River, a busy, industrial tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. A 45-foot-long young female sei whale was spotted swimming up the river, far from the deep waters of the Atlantic where the species, listed as endangered, is normally found.

"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," says the aquarium's research coordinator Susan Barco.

The whale seemed disoriented. Barco and her colleagues followed it for several days in an attempt to protect it from a fatal collision with a ship. Despite these efforts, the whale was found dead a few days later.

A necropsy revealed the animal had swallowed a shard of rigid, black plastic that lacerated its stomach, preventing it from feeding. The weakened whale also had been struck by a ship and suffered a fractured vertebrae. "It was a very long and painful decline," Barco says.
A 2014 study found that ingestion of debris has been documented in 56 percent of cetacean species, with rates of ingestion as high as 31 percent in some populations.
Sperm whales are particularly susceptible to plastic debris ingestion, she explains; they mistake debris for squid, their main prey. "Every sperm whale that I have necropsied has had a lot of nets and pieces of plastic" in its stomach, she says.

Gulland encountered her most extreme case in 2008—two male sperm whales stranded along the northern California coast, their stomachs full of pieces of fishing net, rope, and other plastic trash. One animal had a ruptured stomach. The other was emaciated, suggesting that it had been unable to eat. [...] The variety and age of some of the plastic suggested it had accumulated over many years. According to Gulland, who performed the necropsy, one of the whales had at least 400 pounds of debris in its stomach.

"They slowly died of starvation," she says. "It was the first time that I had seen a large whale die from eating garbage debris."

http://water.epa.gov/type/oceb/marinedebris/factsheet_marinedebris_debris.cfm
Where does Marine Debris come from?

• When trash is not recycled or properly thrown away on land, it can become marine debris. For example, trash in the streets can wash into sewers, storm drains, or inland rivers and streams when it rains and can be carried to oceans and coastal waters.
  • People who go to the beach sometimes leave behind trash.
  • Recreational and commercial fishermen sometimes lose or discard large fishing nets and lines in the ocean.
  • Ships and recreational boats at sea sometimes intentionally or accidentally dump trash directly into the ocean. Trash from boats may be thrown, dropped, or blown overboard.

The following from an article about plastic as a chemical contaminant rather than just its physical impacts on marine life, but it has some interesting points about the difficulties in dealing with marine debris.
No one is sure how long traditional plastics persist in the environment, but rates may be as slow as just a few percent of carbon loss over a decade. Plastic objects typically fragment into progressively smaller and more numerous particles without substantial chemical degradation.
Among the challenges in addressing marine debris is that the greatest impacts are largely invisible from the origin of the debris (fugitive loss, litter, or other improper disposal). Someone who accidently drops a plastic wrapper while walking in the park is unlikely to see the damage done when that wrapper reaches the ocean.

Another significant challenge is that marine debris arises from sources around the world. Unilateral action by the United States will be helpful, but cannot, by itself, solve the problems presented by marine debris. Debris dropped anywhere on earth may end up being transported via surface water to the ocean where it may be carried vast distances before it settles to the bottom.

Furthermore, plastic debris is simply too widely dispersed to effectively clean it up. Even in the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch” there are only a few kilograms of plastic per square kilometer of ocean. This is roughly equivalent of a few teaspoons of plastic pieces spread over a football field and trying to clean it all up with tweezers. Reversing the impacts of plastic debris will take sustained efforts and novel technologies.

By far the best solution to plastic marine debris is to prevent the debris from entering the water system, either land-based debris (e.g., litter, fugitive releases from trash handling and landfills, etc.) washed into surface water or blown out to sea, or ocean-based (e.g., trash from ships or platforms, or derelict fishing gear). Efforts by a wide variety of organizations, including the U.S. EPA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the United Nations Environment Programme, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, and Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine Environmental Protection (GESAMP), as well as nongovernmental organizations such as Algalita Marine Research Foundation, Surfrider Foundation, among others, have raised awareness of problems associated with marine debris and are due credit for the leveling off of the abundance of marine debris.

Reminder to throw your trash away properly.
Sea turtles and marine birds are also heavily affected by debris by confusing it with prey items or accidentally eating it when pursuing prey.
The nets discarded by fishermen are largely responsible for a separate debris issue affecting marine life: entanglements.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's shocking to fathom that such an enormous, powerful creature can be killed by such a tiny, insignificant thing--and ultimately by just momentary carelessness and negligence on the part of an unarmed human doing nothing of consequence. The scale makes no sense. Really stunning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why was a DVD case just lying around outside? Just... ugh. I hate the fact that people don't properly dispose of their things and don't bother to attempt to recycle it.

dextran

Why was a DVD case just lying around outside? Just... ugh. I hate the fact that people don't properly dispose of their things and don't bother to attempt to recycle it.

The ocean is FULL of plastic. Some big, but lots of small micro pieces of plastic too.

mackattk

I thought fish couldn't feel pain?

At least that is what fishers say. I have always kind of felt bad for them when they would have to pry the fish hooks out

The ocean is FULL of plastic. Some big, but lots of small micro pieces of plastic too.

Those micro pieces of plastic are the real problem though. The big pieces degrade relatively quickly into particles like that, and then enter the food chain from plankton and other tiny organisms. A dead whale might be sad, but it is just a freak accident in the grand scheme of things. The micro particles are the real problem.

Azuran

Banned
It's sad, but the reality is that most people simply don't give a shit unless they have something to lose. Last night, I was sitting on an empty bus and this guy threw his garbage under the seat since he was too lazy to hold it for two more stops.

If we don't eben bother putting an effort on the little things, then I don't expect much when it comes to a greater scale.

Dishwalla

Banned

The water around Hampton Roads/where this took place is littered with trash. A lot of it probably has to do with the several Navy bases/shipyards, and of course the ports.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The Pacific and Atlantic Oceans are loaded with trash.

Near-Earth Space is full of junk.

God help Mars and the rest of the galaxy when we break out.

Hex

Banned
That's the great thing about space though. It is so vast that not even we could pollute it.

There are already humans with erections thinking about blasting garbage and waste into space. There is already calcuable debris from our little bounces into space. Humans will Fuck it up in no time.

Those micro pieces of plastic are the real problem though. The big pieces degrade relatively quickly into particles like that, and then enter the food chain from plankton and other tiny organisms. A dead whale might be sad, but it is just a freak accident in the grand scheme of things. The micro particles are the real problem.

Not quite true. Debris being in orbit actually poses a very real danger to satellites at the moment. Right now the chance of debris in orbit taking out a satellite is very small, but as debris grows, the probability increases over time.

Jigolo

Just shows how dirty people are. And if it weren't clear enough already, we are what's destroying our own planet. Both Earth and its creatures.

This reminded me of the world cup where Chinese (maybe Japanese) stayed after the game and help cleaned all the filth left over. I think that's pretty cool

squidyj

Just shows how dirty people are. And if it weren't clear enough already, we are what's destroying our own planet. Both Earth and its creatures.

This reminded me of the world cup where Chinese (maybe Japanese) stayed after the game and help cleaned all the filth left over. I think that's pretty cool

It was the japanese, if the chinese did that I'd be gobsmacked.

Not quite true. Debris being in orbit actually poses a very real danger to satellites at the moment. Right now the chance of debris in orbit taking out a satellite is very small, but as debris grows, the probability increases over time.

I suspect you meant to quote my other post (that was more tongue in cheek). Near earth orbit is of course a problem. But the vastness of space, often described poetically as an unlimited sea for exploration, is equally an unlimited dump for trash. We just need to get the technology to sling it far enough.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
That's the great thing about space though. It is so vast that not even we could pollute it.

That, unfortunately, will sound like a challenge to humanity.

I imagine one of the highest-paid jobs in the future will be piloting cruisers to dump shit into the sun. Then we find out the shit ain't burning and there's a man-made asteroid belt orbiting the sun which goes on to affect the whole solar system 'n shit.

I wonder about that. I mean, stuff doesn't slow down in space right? So if we shoot a garbage truck in space, would it just keep going and in the end might hit an unsuspecting alien ship just flying around... Might be how the first intergalactic war starts!

Silkworm

That, unfortunately, will sound like a challenge to humanity.

I imagine one of the highest-paid jobs in the future will be piloting cruisers to dump shit into the sun. Then we find out the shit ain't burning and there's a man-made asteroid belt orbiting the sun which goes on to affect the whole solar system 'n shit.

Challenge accepted

Nikodemos

Man, I wish there was some sort of moratorium on plastics. Yes, I'm quite aware it would cause all sorts of economic fuckups, but this is really disgraceful. We're literally choking the planet with our filth.

Unfortunately it's not just plastics but raw sewage and fertilizers are also killing coastal ecosystems. We're the filthiest creatures on the planet.

Gravidee

At least that is what fishers say. I have always kind of felt bad for them when they would have to pry the fish hooks out

It always astounds me how ignorant people can be about the differences between whales/dolphins and fish. Do they not teach the different categories of animals in elementary school?

Booshka

Man, I wish there was some sort of moratorium on plastics. Yes, I'm quite aware it would cause all sorts of economic fuckups, but this is really disgraceful. We're literally choking the planet with our filth.

No Plastics would help knock off a couple billion off the population counter as well, which would do wonders for the Planet.

Shits everywhere, and life as we know it is impossible without Plastic.

xbhaskarx

It's shocking to fathom that such an enormous, powerful creature can be killed by such a tiny, insignificant thing--and ultimately by just momentary carelessness and negligence on the part of an unarmed human doing nothing of consequence. The scale makes no sense. Really stunning.

It does make sense if you think of humans as a cancer, instead of thinking of them as fairly harmless.

Dali

I have trouble swallowing stuff. I've almost choked to death on a bite of a sandwich several times, a piece of breakfast, and just a plain piece of a slice of bread. I don't know how the proportions work out when comparing a quarter sized piece of food and a human to a shard of dvd case and a whale but it's not very surprising to me. Even if i didn't have special circumstances tiny things can kill a person.

Log4Girlz

When I think about what to do with our first decent AI robots I think of creating robo-whales to filter the ocean of our garbage.

Polluting is of consequence.

Lesath

Plus, somewhere out there is a DVD laying outside of its case.

tcrunch

It always astounds me how ignorant people can be about the differences between whales/dolphins and fish. Do they not teach the different categories of animals in elementary school?

It's probably a /s post.
Maybe.
Also fish can feel pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom