• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea Turtle Found Dead With Stomach Full Of Plastic

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
b64551c85d3ab823750f57afa8463f1f.png

The five-year-old turtle was found on Somprasong beach in Chonburi, eastern Thailand.

Veterinarian Kirin Sornpipatcharoen examined the dead turtle and found its belly full of plastic, including bags and food wrappers.

He said: "The turtle's stomach was full of plastic garbage.

"Most of the pieces looked like the tentacles of jellyfish, which might have confused the turtle into believing that they were food.

"We're sure that the plastic in the stomach contributed to or caused the tragic death of the turtle."

Earlier this year a dead whale washed ashore in the Philippines was found to have 40kg (88lbs) of plastic in its stomach.

The Cuvier's beaked whale was found dead in the Compostela Valley in March.

An autopsy was carried out by staff from Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Fishery Management Regulatory Division, led by marine biologist Darrell Blatchley, who owns D'Bone Collector Museum.

An autopsy was carried out and its cause of death was found to be dehydration and starvation due to swallowing so much plastic.

Blatchley told CNN: "I was not prepared for the amount of plastic.

"Forty kilos roughly of rice sacks, grocery bags, banana plantation bags, and general plastic bags. Sixteen rice sacks total. It was so big; the plastic was beginning calcification."

Disturbing images from the autopsy showed mounds of plastic that had been removed from the dead whale's stomach.

Blatchley added: "In the last 10 years we have recovered 61 whales and dolphins, of which 57 have died due to fishing nets, dynamite fishing, and plastic garbage. Four were pregnant. This cannot continue. The Philippines needs to change from the children up or nothing will be left."

8b8793f55d3afe268d734509b4e8d223.jpg

Shocking images show the amount of plastic the whale had swallowed. Credit: D'Bone Collector Museum

The team who carried out the autopsy had the grim job of documenting each item that had been removed from the whale, with an aim to learn more about plastic pollution.

Blatchley said: "Doing this is not just for our gain but mainly to give education and for people to realise how magnificent these animals are."

:(

RIP sweet turtle.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Well we all know who is responsible for all the plastic in the oceans:

So either go bring it up with them or shut the fuck up about it.

Visited a turtle hospital with my kids near Topsail Beach, NC. A real eye opening experience. Plastic bags floating in water look like jelly fish to the turtles and they swallow them.

Makariel

Are no registrations from 3rd world countries allowed on GAF? I wasn't aware that certain countries are banned from entering here.

So I guess it's good then that China stopped buying other countries trash.

Boss Mog

Are no registrations from 3rd world countries allowed on GAF? I wasn't aware that certain countries are banned from entering here.

So I guess it's good then that China stopped buying other countries trash.
I wasn't addressing the OP or GAf, I was clearly addressing western mainstream media that runs stories like this to make us feel bad, but we're not the ones to blame, so go run it in their media and leave us alone about it.

I wasn't addressing the OP or GAf, I was clearly addressing western mainstream media that runs stories like this to make us feel bad, but we're not the ones to blame, so go run it in their media and leave us alone about it.

Actually plastic in the sea is happening all over the world even in developed countries it's not just the third world.

Well we all know who is responsible for all the plastic in the oceans:

That's incredibly reductive imo. These countries would have never had plastics to begin with were it not for its development in the first world.

DESTROYA

That's incredibly reductive imo. These countries would have never had plastics to begin with were it not for its development in the first world.
So now it’s the fault of first world development that countries cant handle there own pollution, it’s the people that dump shit anywhere to blame.
Wish countries would be more environmentally conscious of there own actions.

So now it’s the fault of first world development that countries cant handle there own pollution, it’s the people that dump shit anywhere to blame.
Wish countries would be more environmentally conscious of there own actions.

I didn't say that. I am saying that you cannot discount the origin of plastics in the total picture. Could there be plastics in the ocean if they hadn't been developed in the first place?

Do you find no irony in blaming regions that produce little in the way of sources of pollution (relatively speaking) for the abundance of pollution in the total environment?

Boss Mog

Actually plastic in the sea is happening all over the world even in developed countries it's not just the third world.
Do you not know how to read? 95% of it comes from third world countries; their rivers that empty into the sea. Just because you find a piece of plastic on the shore in Italy, doesn't mean it came from italy. In the 1st world we don't dump our plastic trash in rivers and we recycle most of it.

What the fuck are you even trying to say here. You're actually trying to blame the first world for offering the valuable technology of plastic to the third world? Do they not deserve plastic? Clean drinking water is hard to come by in third world countries and people often have to travel long distances to get it, and they bring some back in the form of plastic jugs and bottles, what would you have them use instead? Not really sure that there's anything as tough, as light and as clean as plastic. They just need to do a better job of disposing of it.

What the fuck are you even trying to say here. You're actually trying to blame the first world for offering the valuable technology of plastic to the third world? Do they not deserve plastic? Clean drinking water is hard to come by in third world countries and people often have to travel long distances to get it, and they bring some back in the form of plastic jugs and bottles, what would you have them use instead? Not really sure that there's anything as tough, as light and as clean as plastic. They just need to do a better job of disposing of it.

I think it is clear what I'm saying. Trying to reduce the blame for environmental pollution (of plastics in this case) on those who didn't produce plastics in the first place is reductive. Could there be plastics polluting the environment from these places were they not created to begin with.

Of course, the third world have their struggles. But to expect them to be environmental conscious or responsible when they have so many more pressing concerns is naive in my view. Go live in the third world for a good while, and let me know where plastics pollution ranks on your priority list.

Kenpachii

I think it is clear what I'm saying. Trying to reduce the blame for environmental pollution (of plastics in this case) on those who didn't produce plastics in the first place is reductive. Could there be plastics polluting the environment from these places were they not created to begin with.

Of course, the third world have their struggles. But to expect them to be environmental conscious or responsible when they have so many more pressing concerns is naive in my view. Go live in the third world for a good while, and let me know where plastics pollution ranks on your priority list.

They have priority lists in those country's?

If they had any priority lists they wouldn't be 3rd world country's to start with.

Kenpachii

Wow, the arrogance is palpable.

Time the world gets some more arrogant about stuff then.

Isreal got builded out of nothing in a matter of seconds and is massive successful, europe got rebuilded twice over after it got deleted twice over in a span of 40 years. China is pushing forwards massively in a real fast pace, japan etc etc.

Sorry but if you look at those country's i honestly wonder if they even care. All technology is available all markets are open, all information is available its now just pure complete lack of character to build shit upwards. And u see this over and over again.

Boss Mog

Do you even read what you write? So first world countries shouldn't invent things just in case the third world gets it and doesn't use it or dispose of it properly? A lot of these third world countries have governments that could easily make them stop dumping plastics in rivers. There's plenty of well off people in China, Indonesia and the Philippines which are the biggest offenders. These aren't the poorest countries, they can afford to do much better. Stop trying to put the blame where it doesn't belong; it belongs on these countries who choose to do what they're doing, period.

There are zero excuses for things like this:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If sea turtles are so smart, why do they eat plastic?

Dumbass sea turtle got owned smh

I know your attempt was to try and be edgy... some of the plastic look like jellyfish or certain types of sponges and seaweed.

We have ravaged the oceans so much. Filthy species, us humans can be.

Do you even read what you write? So first world countries shouldn't invent things just in case the third world gets it and doesn't use it or dispose of it properly? A lot of these third world countries have governments that could easily make them stop dumping plastics in rivers. There's plenty of well off people in China, Indonesia and the Philippines which are the biggest offenders. These aren't the poorest countries, they can afford to do much better. Stop trying to put the blame where it doesn't belong; it belongs on these countries who choose to do what they're doing, period.

There are zero excuses for things like this:

Nothing exists in a vacuum. All blame is oversimplification. We do it because we feel helpless - because things are happening that we don't like, things we label as "bad" things. But it is impossible to ever isolate the source of (any) occurrence, no matter how much we might feel better by attaching the label of "villain" to a crime. This is what I'm expressing.

We can say that nation "x" is dumping trash into the environment. They are clearly the bad guy. But that dismisses innumerable factors that led to that outcome. Some obvious things, some imperceptible.

Humanity existed for eons without plastics - without things that contribute to environmental pollution, without things that have put us in this environmental crisis. You could argue that life is "better" with those things, but that is a subjective valuation - not an absolute.

The only thing blame does is assuage anxiety (on a micro or macro level) for things that are outside the realm of the sensation of control.

Blame if you must, but it can never fix anything, and it does not represent the totality of any situation when we attempt to reduce large scale events (global pollution in this case) to smaller scale actions or occurrences (poorer countries redistributing pollutants that didn't originate with them in an environmentally irresponsible manner).

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
Do you not know how to read? 95% of it comes from third world countries; their rivers that empty into the sea. Just because you find a piece of plastic on the shore in Italy, doesn't mean it came from italy. In the 1st world we don't dump our plastic trash in rivers and we recycle most of it.

No in the first world you actually export garbage to developing countries so many of that garbage which end up in rivers could also come from first world countries. And it is factually demonstrated that the first world produce much more waste.

Last edited:

Makariel

We "recycle"... video from the thread you were linking above:

In the EU for example about 40% gets incinerated, 30% recycled (see above) while 30% just ends up on a landfill.

20181130PHT20669_original.jpg

Not much better in the US, where high labour cost means virtually no domestic recyling, and less and less countries are willing to take out the trash.

tldr: yes, we don't dump our plastic into our rivers. We sell it to Indonesia so that they can dump it into their rivers, not our problem.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that turtle is a waste. Could have been made into a soup.

crowbrow

Banned
We used to have a climbing turtle, I called her ninja turtle. It appeared one day at my parents garden and just stayed there for like a year. Some months after another turtle appeared on the front door so we had two turtles which came out of nowhere, I wonder if they knew each other before. Anyways, the ninja mf would climb the garden wall and take a stroll on the roof of the house from time to time. Several times we thought there were thieves trying to break in. One day she climbed a 5 meters high wall and fell into the neighbors' garden, we never saw her again. I like to think she's still traveling the world, one garden at a time, improving her ninja skills and looking for the path to enlightenment. Godspeed ninja turtle.

Top Bottom