• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nationalism rearing ugly head in Japan with greater frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit at the race discussion a couple of posts up there.

On-topic: Isn't Japan already kinda nationalist?
Wonder what further nationalism would entail.

keuja

Easily. It's the hybrids that are a lot more difficult to identify; more often than not you'd consider them under the generalized "Asian" umbrella like you do in America.

And by hybrids I meant Asian mixes like Chinese-Korean, Japanese-Korean and Japanese-Chinese offspring.

The mainland Chinese look, for example, is very distinctive. Even in a country like Malaysia or Singapore which has a sizeable naturalised Chinese community, you can easily distinguish between a mainland Chinese student from China coming to study and a Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese citizen, born and bred in their respective nation. It's quite obvious.

No not easily. From a physical point of view, it's like trying to distinguish a French from an English. A large part of the population is not really distinguishable.
Likewise, for your mainland chinese vs malaysian or singaporean chinese, it's more the attitude and the way they dress than their physical traits.

Groof

I went to school in Shin-Okubo for a year and I can't really recall seeing many of these protests during my time there. If I did I probably didn't pay much attention to them. This shit probably started getting more and more prominent after the whole k-pop boom happened, the streets were filled to the brim with people. Walking to and from school was a nightmare!
I did see the nationalist truck dudes driving around blasting their propaganda bullshit from time to time, though.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see any of these people when I visited Japan earlier this year, but I guess they would rather avoid us gajins. It's really sad that this kind of mentality is on the rise.
They say it’s ungrateful of the Koreans to take full advantage of these benefits and yet complain about Japan’s wartime aggression. Such “privileges” are glaring in the face of Japan’s current gloom, as seen in the high suicide rate and lackluster economic growth, they argue.
What does this have to do with anything? Why can't they just admit Japan did some horrible stuff during the war?

IceCold

I didn't see any of these people when I visited Japan earlier this year, but I guess they would rather avoid us gajins. It's really sad that this kind of mentality is on the rise.
What does this have to do with anything? Why can't they just admit Japan did some horrible stuff during the war?

Most probably a pride thing. They are ashamed of what they did and don't want to admit it because then it would mean Koreans are in the right.

Village

And then they would have to admit to what they did in China.

That was bad. All that rape...

Ontopic, interesting. This type of thing interests me. I am never really comprehended the reasoning behind this behavior, its more baffling to me because I have little knowledge of Japanese politics.

If someone could help, maybe some context.

Piecake

That was bad. All that rape...

Ontopic, interesting. This type of thing interests me. I am never really comprehended the reasoning behind this behavior, its more baffling to me because I have little knowledge of Japanese politics.

If someone could help, maybe some context.

Pathetic losers blame 'different' people for all their life's problems. Its a common occurrence throughout history

Chichikov

Easily. It's the hybrids that are a lot more difficult to identify; more often than not you'd consider them under the generalized "Asian" umbrella like you do in America.

And by hybrids I meant Asian mixes like Chinese-Korean, Japanese-Korean and Japanese-Chinese offspring.

The mainland Chinese look, for example, is very distinctive. Even in a country like Malaysia or Singapore which has a sizeable naturalised Chinese community, you can easily distinguish between a mainland Chinese student from China coming to study and a Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese citizen, born and bred in their respective nation. It's quite obvious.
Every study I ever read on the subject suggest that while there are differences on the average look, on a single instance, you can't tell country of origin with confidence based on look alone.

Also, I think it's best not to use terms like hybrid when talking about people.
There's no such thing as race.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They could be citizens if they wanted, but they would have to give up their Korean citizenship to do it, and they don't want to. Fair enough really, I live in Japan and I sure as hell don't want to give up my Canadian citizenship, especially when literally the only benefit would be the right to vote in (meaningless) elections.

Anyway, I really don't understand the point of this protest. If Korean-Japanese people commit crimes, wouldn't you want it reported with their Japanese names, considering those are the names they use at work and in everyday life? Or are these people so far gone that they imagine half the crimes reported in the paper to have been committed by Korean-Japanese?

This is exactly it. Every time you see a crime being reported out of the Kansai region, someone will inevitably comment with "国籍は?" (What's their nationality?), or "在日だろ" (Must be another zainichi.)

China nowadays is a much more cosmopolitan country than Japan.

What is this nonsense? Did you not pay attention to all of those anti-Japanese demonstrations in China last year where people smashed windows, destroyed cars, burned down buildings and generally acted like complete barbarians?

Moff

I was in tokyo last month and wondering why almost everyone used apple devices and next to no samsung products.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was in tokyo last month and wondering why almost everyone used apple devices and next to no samsung products.

I don't think that's any indicator. Japan just loved Apple products.

From what I can tell, the Galaxy line of Samsung phones is doing pretty well over there, though (for an Android device).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I wonder how many of the people involved in this are either directly involved in the creation of, or were taught from the curriculum that basically has it that Japan did absolutely nothing wrong during WWII, and was in fact entirely the blameless victim.

Chichikov

Cosmopolitan just mean culturally diverse.
Even if you think Japan is more cosmopolitan (and I honestly can't see how, but I'm not an expert) anti Japanese sentiment in mainland China have pretty much nothing to do with it.
You seem to have a bit of a hair trigger on the subject.

Kikujiro

What is this nonsense? Did you not pay attention to all of those anti-Japanese demonstrations in China last year where people smashed windows, destroyed cars, burned down buildings and generally acted like complete barbarians?

The island dispute is another matter, I'm talking about a cosmopolitan society, which is something Japan government clearly doesn't want. Have you ever been to China?
Chinese big cities are becoming much more cosmopolitan than Japanese's ones.

There are people there that don't like Japan, but that's a historical matter that won't change unless Japan starts to admit their wrong doings instead of denying everything. Violence is wrong, but Japan needs to take the first step.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I misinterpreted that. I thought you were using the word to imply that China was more civilized or something.

China definitely has more diverse and International cities. I think Kikujiro is definitely right in that Japan (or at least its government) definitely doesn't want its cities to be cosmopolitan like that.

Nicktendo86

the rightwing group Zainichi Tokken wo Yurusanai Shimin no Kai (Zaitokukai), which translates literally as a citizens’ group that won’t tolerate special privileges for Korean and Chinese residents in Japan

Well, that sure has a ring to it.

Japan has always been a stronghold for Apple, ever since the days Apple was in serious risk of actually dying. When Apple started releasing really good products again, its not surprise they caught on extremely quickly. Apple was pretty much the company that broke the keitai domination.

If we're talking about mobile, Samsung has around the same market share as the other major players in the market (i.e. Sharp, Fujitsu). They're receptive enough to Korean products if they're good.

Ratrat

2013 smartphone market share.
Apple 33%
Sharp 17%
Sony 11%
Fujitsu 9%
Samsung 8%

Anyone saying Japanese won't buy Korean products should step inside tsutaya or geo.

Natetan

2013 smartphone market share.
Apple 33%
Sharp 17%
Sony 11%
Fujitsu 9%
Samsung 8%

Anyone saying Japanese won't buy Korean products should step inside tsutaya or geo.

Yeah, there seems to be more openess to non-japanese electronic products in the last couple years. Japan never got the motorola razr, the blackberry. There is some success with the new samsung phones.

Even non-cellphone electronics are really breaking the barrier. I saw a bic camera ad the other day that was pushing all these non-japanese brands and I was pretty suprised.

Ratrat

Yeah, there seems to be more openess to non-japanese electronic products in the last couple years. Japan never got the motorola razr, the blackberry. There is some success with the new samsung phones.

Even non-cellphone electronics are really breaking the barrier. I saw a bic camera ad the other day that was pushing all these non-japanese brands and I was pretty suprised.
They actually did get the blackberry. Like 2 years ago.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There was never really any need for the Blackberry since email on mobile phones was never anything special in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom