• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China/Japan Island Disputes Sparks Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Top of the page on Reddit atm, most pictures appear to be from weibo

Sydney Morning Herald said:
JAPAN'S Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda will tell China to ensure the safety of Japanese citizens after protests in Chinese cities over disputed islands led to attacks on facilities of electronics maker Panasonic and car maker Toyota.

''I intend to strongly demand that the Chinese government ensure security'' of Japanese citizens, Mr Noda said on public broadcaster NHK's Sunday Debate program. ''I strongly object'' to the burning of Japanese flags and the protests.

Panasonic's factory and a Toyota dealership in the port city of Qingdao were damaged by fire, while military police were called in to control thousands demonstrating at the Japanese consulate in Shanghai as protests escalated.

Tensions between Asia's two largest economies increased last week after China dispatched six government vessels near disputed islands in the East China Sea, known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.

''We intend to react calmly and firmly,'' Mr Noda said. ''We will act firmly and securely protect the Senkaku islands.''

http://www.smh.com.au/world/islands...nese-cities-20120916-260ge.html#ixzz26frmDQkj

TVNZ said:
Chinese police used pepper spray, tear gas and water cannon to break up an anti-Japan protest in southern China on Sunday as demonstrators took to the streets in scores of cities across the country in a long-running row over a group of disputed islands.

The protests erupted in Beijing and many other cities on Saturday, when demonstrators besieged the Japanese embassy, hurling rocks, eggs and bottles and testing police cordons, prompting the Japanese prime minister to call on Beijing to ensure protection of his country's people and property.

In the biggest flare-up on Sunday, police fired about 20 rounds of tear gas and used water cannon and pepper spray to repel thousands occupying a street in the southern city of Shenzhen, near Hong Kong.

Protesters attacked a Japanese department store, grabbed police shields and knocked off their helmets. One protester was seen with blood on his face. At least one policeman was hit with a flowerpot.

Demonstrators have looted shops and attacked Japanese cars and restaurants in at least five Chinese cities. Protesters also broke into a dozen Japanese-run factories in eastern Qingdao on Saturday, according to the Japanese broadcaster NHK.

It added that the protests had spread to at least 72 cities.

http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/japan-s-purchase-disputed-islands-sparks-chinese-riots-5086548

rsaLK.jpg

Changsa, Hunan province

QzAQ1.jpg

Outside the Japanese embassy in Beijing

xsNSt.jpg
'
Sushi Restaurant in Suzhou attacked by protesters.

EJNzd.jpg

Shanghai

Wlcm7.jpg

Location unsure. The chinese characters read "Defend Diaoyu Islands until our deaths"

UDVzR.jpg

Reddit translation is ""We will kill every Japanese person, even if it means deaths for our own; even poverty will not deter us from reclaiming the Diaoyu Islands"

Link to album

It's Riot Week, apparently.

Darklord

Banned
Reddit translation is ""We will kill every Japanese person, even if it means deaths for our own; even poverty will not deter us from reclaiming the Diaoyu Islands"

God damn! I bet most of these people even know where the fucking island is.

CSX

saw this on the HK news a few hours ago. They only showed the crowds and banners. Did not know about the burning buildings holy shit.

""We will kill every Japanese person, even if it means deaths for our own; even poverty will not deter us from reclaiming the Diaoyu Islands"

wtf china

The world really seems ripe for another world war. So much tension and hate it seems in every culture and in every corner of the globe. Sad but it just seems to be human nature.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
These pro-nuke Japan crowds are scary.

I would have thought that the internet would deter senseless wars between 1st world nations, but it appears that I'm incorrect.

So, do the islands hold something valuable, or is it more of a "principle" thing? Or are both sides afraid that the other would use it to easily station military troops/hardware?

We will defend to our death a bunch of rocks that we have never actually seen nor use.

Is there some virus out there causing people lose their fucking minds? People going fucking apeshit over a movie about a dead person from 1500 years ago and some rocks they've never seen.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So many stupid conflicts in the world today. Why don't people stop and think "why?".

Yeah, but this is unique because it's 1st world.

This isn't 3rd world outrage over sky daddy. It's Chinese people calling for war with Japan. Hopefully it's some disingenuous over the top cultural thing. Hundreds of millions would die in a war between Japan and China, and the world economy would crash.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Asian nationalisms are on a whole different level than the Western stuff. You're talking about national rivalries and prejudices that have, in some cases, existed longer than the US has even been known to exist.

Just make sure you never really piss off the Chinese people.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there some virus out there causing people lose their fucking minds? People going fucking apeshit over a movie about a dead person from 1500 years ago and some rocks they've never seen.
It's a fatal disease called nationalism!

Asian nationalisms are on a whole different level than the Western stuff. You're talking about national rivalries and prejudices that have, in some cases, existed longer than the US has even been known to exist.

Just make sure you never really piss off the Chinese people.

What has japan ever done to china???

oh yeah, that....

So, do the islands hold something valuable, or is it more of a "principle" thing? Or are both sides afraid that the other would use it to easily station military troops/hardware?
The South China sea is an area with a lot of disputed claims that has not been thoroughly explored for oil. There may be a lot of oil there . . . or not. I don't think anyone knows for sure. But the possibility may be enough to get people all interested.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said in the other thread.

Idiots! (these protesters)

Also, you guys need more perspective, this isn't about 'a bunch of islands'. They're still pissed at Japan over the war and these islands are relics of that.

goddamn it, beaten.

Yes, blame nationalism.

moojito

My arse. Look at the two posing on the middle under that banner. Any chinese readers able to confirm this? My money is on "20% off your next audi starting monday" or something.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Here's an idea: Let's just blow the island up.

Nobody gets it.

This is probably the reason I am not involved in diplomacy by the way.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My arse. Look at the two posing on the middle under that banner. Any chinese readers able to confirm this? My money is on "20% off your next audi starting monday" or something.
It's accurate.

midonnay

The South China sea is an area with a lot of disputed claims that has not been thoroughly explored for oil. There may be a lot of oil there . . . or not. I don't think anyone knows for sure. But the possibility may be enough to get people all interested.

also rich fishing grounds

Big-E

I am in the Northeast and I have seen a few smashed windows on Japanese cars. I also went past a restaurant that said if you parked a Japanese car in the parking lot, they are not responsible for the damage that is probably going to happen to it.

Gray Man

Banned
I've been wrong before, but I don't think China has the stones.

Why don't we settle this in a way where less people die? Like send your best warrior, the victor gets the islands.

2959450_o.gif

I would vote for this option over war any day.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh god, seeing the woman crying about her Japanese car destroyed was bad enough, but the guy driving his Honda to the dealer and setting it on fire himself got a chuckle from me in a crazy kind of way

Emily Chu

Banned
why does anyone care about this enough to riot ? some shitty ass islands no one cared about before...

also why does anyone care enough about some youtube video to riot ?

wtf world

get a fucking grip

Akainu

Has the world gone mad?!

I'd be nice if these same people were this passionate about how their own government treats when but no.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Even if this is secretly about Nanking, WWII-era occupation, not teaching Japanese students about atrocities etc... I don't really care: nothing Japan is doing now has any bearing on a Chinese person's life today. This IS a childish nationalistic hatred. This IS ridiculous. It's just too much fun to take a swing at the imaginary enemy you just love to hate.

Asia needs to get over their backwards ass nationalism and racism... And that goes for Japan, Korea and China. Grow the fuck up.

Lesath

So many stupid conflicts in the world today. Why don't people stop and think "why?".

Why don't you ask some people in this thread? It seems that intellectual sloth isn't isolated to the other side of the ocean.

The protests are a mixture of fervent nationalism (that's always been there), leftover resentment against the Japanese from WWII (and a good part of the 19th century), and a government (that would typically crush protests before they occur) fanning the flames. "They're crazy" is an oversimplified explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom