• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

Sequel with new location and characters. The world they created should go on, plenty of other stories to tell.
the_last_of_us_by_tiger1313-d6azs0w.jpg

It's so fucking easy to satisfy everyone.

New game, new characters.

DONE!

You don't piss off the people who wish for the ending of TLoU to not be tarnished by a continuation (ME), and you make people happy who want another game.

Cloudy

Banned
The no sequel at all costs brigade are strange. How does it a affect the original if it's a new cast and story?

They are truly annoying. If you don't want it, just don't play it.

For example, I REALLY wanted a sequel to FFX but when I saw the direction they went, I knew I didn't want that and refused to play it. EASY :p

I don't think ND is as short-sighted as SquareSoft was with FFX-2

Endo Punk

Forget Ellie and Joel, I don't want a sequel because TLOU already ended on a hopeful note, that people will be able to live and rebuild civilisation despite the infected. A sequel even with different characters will basically be "Psyche! Everything is still shit."

MercuryLS

Banned
Sequel with new location and characters. The world they created should go on, plenty of other stories to tell.
the_last_of_us_by_tiger1313-d6azs0w.jpg

Exactly, the world is so compelling. I would be disappointed if they didn't do other stories in this world. With the power of PS4, they could do something truly spectacular.

kpaadet

I like new IPs as much as the next guy, but I also trust ND more than most AAA studios, if they think the right move is to make a sequel to TLOU then I want them to make it. I didn't think Uncharted 1 needed a sequel it ended perfectly fine, but we got UC2. I bet there are alot of ideas they didn't use in TLOU mostly because of hardware limitations I can't wait to see what they can do on PS4.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
If they are not doing a sequel, pretty sure someone will be. Don't think Sony wants to leave a 4 million copy selling new IP untouched.

I wish Naughty Dog would just do new things in perpetuity and retire Uncharted as well, but I doubt that will happen. Would also like to see God of War retired.

I mean, I guess Uncharted can drop the bland white bro and Indiana Jones riffing and get a minority protagonist and focus on a serious plot about the legacy of colonialism and I would probably get a PS4 for that..

Hubb

Forget Ellie and Joel, I don't want a sequel because TLOU already ended on a hopeful note, that people will be able to live and rebuild civilisation despite the infected. A sequel even with different characters will basically be "Psyche! Everything is still shit."

Not if they tell a story that parallels the timeline of Joel and Ellie. Whether it is in another country or another part of NA.

Gorillaz

what other stories could they do?

Seriously?

how bout the fall of any sort of government, morals and over all order? or the plight of a small group possibly turning into a militia?

there is so much potential in a prequel for this that I would be disappointed if they let it not happen.

Linconan

In Naughty Dog i Trust
*sits and awaits patiently*

Whatever they do, they'll surely get my money.
The Last Of Us Playstation 4, Port Please
And, a Last Of Us, sequel (you know you're gunna)

I really want a sequel and I dont want it to suffer from being passed to a B team like Uncharted 3 suffered.

I think Sony will make TLOU 2 one way or another so its really a matter of who does it.

I actually think Amy Henning and the Uncharted writing team could come up with something cool and fun and should get that chance.

Thats the writing team I want making a naughty dog future sci fi game. A fun, galaxy trotting adventure!

Sami+

I really want a sequel and I dont want it to suffer from being passed to a B team like Uncharted 3 suffered.

I think Sony will make TLOU 2 one way or another so its really a matter of who does it.

I actually think Amy Henning and the Uncharted writing team could come up with something cool and fun. Thats the writing team I want making a naughty dog future sci fi game. A fun, galaxy trotting adventure!

Uncharted 3 was done by "the B team"? I thought it was TLoU that was made by the new team.

a916

Sony has complete trust in us. It’s really up to us to come up with something that will keep the team inspired for the next several years — which is why we don’t take the decision of what we’ll work on next lightly.

Thankfully they said this, because this is what I assumed from the very beginning... they got a blank cheque to do what they want with their recent history.

If they want to do another Uncharted, they should do one and are rightfully doing one.

Uncharted 3 was done by "the B team"? I thought it was TLoU that was made by the new team.

There's no such thing as the "B team". There's a lot of overflow for a lot of designers and artists between both projects. The creative heads are different; but they don't have two separate teams.

TLOU was made by a bunch of people that made Uncharted 2 great.

Uncharted 3 was made from the left overs and it was rough as hell.

Then TLOU came out and it was balanced and fun again.

Its hard not to see a connection but Uncharted 4 is made by a a lot of the U3 people so I am willing to see if U3 was just the product of being rushed versus having key team members switching to TLOU when U4 roles around.

kuroshiki

"No Sequel!"

Translation:

I have better knowledge about how to make a story/gameplay than naughty dog, and I do not trust ND's ability to make quality video games, AT ALL.

Fuck you, ND. I'm better than you. You better not make any sequel because there is not a single hair width room for improvement, and the game is perfect as it is, and you can't make better than that, period.

end of translation.

yeah. seriously.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
what other stories could they do?
Seriously? There's tons that other people will tell you. Or you could read some other threads for ideas. But mostly, that's not for us to figure out. That's ND's prerogative.
Nah, U3 was the product of the studio bring split and that teams first game was U3. It's impressive that it was basically made in two years from a new team. I think given as much time as they were for U4, it'll be great.

U2 team made TLoU. So now it's ND 2's turn to prove themselves.

And I hate the "B team" term. It's putting that team as inferior, which I can't defend them because all they have is U3 but, I much prefer "second team" or even better ND2 or something. Perhaps if/when the blow it out of the park people will naturally give them a different name.

kuroshiki

Seriously? There's tons that other people will tell you. Or you could read some other threads for ideas. But mostly, that's not for us to figure out. That's ND's prerogative.

Nah, U3 was the product of the studio bring split and that teams first game was U3. It's impressive that it was basically made in two years from a new team. I think given as much time as they were for U4, it'll be great.

U2 team made TLoU. So now it's ND 2's turn to prove themselves.

And I hate the "B team" term. It's putting that team as inferior, which I can't defend them because all they have is U3 but, I much prefer "second team" or even better ND2 or something.

Until proven otherwise, U3 team is b-team. Their product is just inferior to U2 or TLOU, so that's that.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong by their next game, though.

I couldn't care less about what other people say, but I want MORE JOEL, ELLIE AND THE WHOLE FUCKING TLOU UNIVERSE NOW!

There is soooooo much story left to tell.

Persona7

Banned
Until proven otherwise, U3 team is b-team. Their product is just inferior to U2 or TLOU, so that's that.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong by their next game, though.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/credits

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/uncharted-2-among-thieves/credits

I can't go through these now but can you compare the ND team members between the two games? Naughty Dog outsources a ton of stuff so I don't know if that should be counted.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm in the 'Don't want a sequel' camp as well, but regardless, it doesn't hurt us if they do. It would be nice if it was left where it is though, perfect ending.

I would like to see a totally new IP, something in space, or underwater in a Sealab and some twist like in the movie THX1138.

Top Bottom