• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: The Last of Us at least around 12-16 hours long

demisec

Okay but can I hold them accountable if it's a gross overestimation? I'm in no way a speedrunner and my assumption would be around the 7-8hr mark, if not less. I'd be pleasantly surprised it were actually post-10 hours long, since that shit is a rarity in today's overproduced SP games.

Then how about I compare to Zelda which is also and Actin-Adventure game but 3 times as long, or to Brutal Legend which is also an action-adventure game, or to Assassin's Creed which is also an action-adventure game, or to Batman Arkham City which is also an action-adventure game, or to Castlevania Lord of Shadow which is also an action adventure game, or Darksiders which is also an action-adventure game, or to Infamous which is also an action adventure game. They all provide at least 30+ hours of gameplay.

Zelda is a much bigger style of game than the kind of action-adventure this game is. There are NPCs, sidequests, minigames, dungeons, etc. Darksiders is Zelda

Assassin's Creed/Arkham City/InFamous are sandbox games

Brutal Legend sucks, and it goes on for too long with RTS battles and repetitive combat

Lords of Shadow is a 6 hour game streeeeeeeeeeetched out to 15+ hours. It's quantity > quality

I don't see why it's so hard to believe, I doubt it's 16 but 12 seems realistic, they worked on this for 3 and a half years, almost twice the time they needed for UC2. Hell, dead space 3 was 16 hours.

StuBurns

Banned
It's not pessimistic, every time a developer claims how long their games, they're wrong, and usually so grossly wrong that people feel like they've been actively lied to. It's just being realistic to imagine this is also not true.

Scanning the quoted part that ISN'T the interview with Neil, there's a lot of radically incorrect shit in there, as Neil mentioned in his tweet. I don't know where some of this stuff came from other than poetic license. I would take 99% of the info supposedly from the magazine (the translated part) with a massive grain of salt - in fact, only one line is true. :)

Plus what's quoted above - even to me the interview questions mostly don't sound like Neil.

Would be good to try to secure a copy of the magazine ourselves.
We got people on GAF who have the magazine. Maybe they can help you out?

Also, what's up with that MP? Will we get any new info during GDC?

It's not pessimistic, every time a developer claims how long their games, they're wrong, and usually so grossly wrong that people feel like they've been actively lied to. It's just being realistic to imagine this is also not true.

Pretty much what I was thinking

Raoh

This means nothing to me.

Every time I read 5-6/8-10/12-15 it usually means add another 5 hours to my play time.

Devs know how to play the game they made so you can't match yourself to them.

Some people still have that child like grasp on games where they are just good.

Some people play games more than others and are in the zone all the time.

Play style. Some people play an open world game or a game w/options as a linear game w/no extras/searching. I've checked trophies/achievements with friends, they beat the game with no side missions while I played longer and walked through every area. In co op they were the ones yelling come on lets go to the next room/level while I was searching for ammo and power ups.

I see people have beat games on day on release while I'm still playing them months later.

Game Length is as 100% accurate as Reviews. There is a base length/opinion and you take it from there per individual.

If Last of Us is considered a 12 - 16 hour game then I can expect myself to probably put in about 20+ hours.

StuBurns

Banned
Well the very obvious thing could be that is exactly how long it's been to play testers. It's only subjective if you choose not to surface accurate data. They could tell you exactly how long it is for the average player, they could tell you the quickest first time through length, and the longest.

I don't really see the point of giving a range as wide as four hours, if it's not directly correlated to their internal testing experience.

The game is still months away, they will still be changing items and enemy placement, along with difficulty, etc, so they couldn't exactly give us data on the finished game, but what they have so far they could.

Revven

what did naughty dog say uncharted 3 would take? I tried to look and didnt find anything on what they said but what others said. I remember it took me just about 10 hours.

The only things I seem to recall them saying on Uncharted 3's length was:

1) One of their testers supposedly did a speedrun of UC3 prior to release (when the game was basically finished) in which it took 3 hours (obviously skipping cutscenes). I find this statement really hard to believe unless it was done on Very Easy.

2) They said despite there being less chapters than UC2 it would be similar in length the first time through.

They never gave any estimates for UC3.

Top Bottom