• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

The 2015–16 NBA season is the 70th season of the National Basketball Association. The regular season will begin on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at the United Center, home of the Chicago Bulls, who will be hosting a game against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the early game, followed by the 2015 NBA champions Golden State Warriors hosting the New Orleans Pelicans in the night game. Christmas games will be played on Friday, December 25, 2015. The 2016 NBA All-Star Game will be played at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Sunday, February 14, 2016. The regular season will end on Wednesday, April 13, 2016. The playoffs will begin on Saturday, April 16, 2016.

Key Dates:
Oct. 27 -- Start of the 2015-16 NBA Regular Season (NBA Tip-Off 2015)
Dec. 3 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Boston Celtics vs. Sacramento Kings (Mexico City)
Jan. 5 -- 10-day contracts may now be signed
Jan. 10 -- All contracts are guaranteed for the remainder of the season
Jan. 14 -- NBA Global Games 2016, Orlando Magic vs. Toronto Raptors (London)
Feb. 12-14 -- NBA All-Star 2016 (Toronto, Canada)
Feb. 18 -- Trade deadline, 3 p.m. ET
March 1 -- Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline
April 13-16 -- Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (Portsmouth, VA)
April 13 -- Regular Season ends
April 15 -- Rosters set for NBA Playoffs 2016, 3 p.m. ET
April 16 -- NBA Playoffs 2016 begin
April 24 -- NBA Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)
May 2 -- Conference Semifinals begin (possible move up to April 30 or May 1)
May 11-15 -- NBA Draft Combine 2016 (Chicago)
May 17 -- Conference Finals begin (possible move up to May 15 or 16)
May 17 -- NBA Draft Lottery 2016
June 2 -- NBA Finals 2016 begin
June 13 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 p.m. ET)
TBD -- The Finals 2016 latest possible date
June 23 -- NBA Draft 2016

This upcoming season will be the final season before the new television deal kicks in. What does that mean? Players are gonna get PAID big time. Here's a list of players in line for a huge pay day. Unfortunately this offseason also marked the end of some popular vets. While none of them are anything close to sure fire hall of famers, they were fan favorites and had noteworthy enough careers to warrant nicknames.

Elton "I don't have a nickname thus completely disproving Gully State's assertion of having noteworthy nicknames" Brand
Kenyon "KMart" Martin
Jason "JRich" Richardson
Andrei "AK47" Kirilenko - Seriously this guy has coolest nickname ever. It just fits him so well..That's the kind of nickname you tattoo on your genitals.
Stephen "Capt. Jack" Jackson
Shawn "Matrix" Marion

On the flip side, this year's rookies consist of a lot of talented big men and some notable wings. It'll be interesting to see how they affect the NBA landscape.

currryyyyy.gif

Above, is the moment Steph Curry turned the Warriors from league face to heel. Winning the NBA Championship was a dream come true for the Warriors and their community. This year, the Warriors look to shatter the championship dreams of the 29 other NBA franchises as they defend their title.
Game of Zones: Warriors Edition

Team placings subject to change*
I based these off Vegas odds so don't kill me if your team is improperly categorized.
RNbyBPp.png

Contenders to the throne. Every team here has a legitimate shot at chipping this year. Spurs somehow went from old and creaky to reloaded and ready to contend for the next 5+ years thanks to the LMA signing. The Cavs made the finals on a depleted roster last year and with all their stars healthy again, look poised to make a run. The Thunder get Kevin Durant back and like the Bulls changed their head coach. Clippers and Rockets managed to shore up their weaknesses in depth and backcourt offense respectively. Finally, the Grizzlies and Heat are just standing pat.

sZYhQYN.png

The above teams will most likely make the playoffs and if things go right, advance deep in the postseason. The Pelicans are a dark horse team to actually contend for me. AD with good coaching is going to take his team to the next level. Similarly, I've been told by Celtics GAF that Isaiah Thomas is the league's secret MVP, so don't sleep on Boston cuz Isaiah will drop 50 on you. The Hawks are going to Spurs the Eastern Conference again. I know nothing about the Wizards and the Raptors to the point that I put an image of Andrew Wiggins standing next to the Toronto all star game logo to represent the Raps. So I'm sorry Raptors GAF (Kyle Lowry and John Wall are beasts though). The Pacers get Paul George back after that horrific injury. The Bucks intrigue me as a team and finally I genuinely feel bad for the Mavericks but at least Carlisle will get the team into the playoffs.

ti2Aoqy.png

The Hornets, who just went 6-0 in the preseason are going to sting their way into the postseason behind the return of Linsanity!! Kids all over will be rocking the bowl cut.
Sorry got a little carried away here
Teams here are all construction projects of varying degrees. Some, like the Timberwolves, have a blueprint and materials for a proper rebuild in place. Every other team falls in this limbo of having intriguing pieces but lacking cohesion.

SFWJLVL.png

UF5QfnJ.png
bheFoR2.png

It's not that these teams are total trainwrecks. It's just that you know the stuff that happens before and after actual games will dominate headlines. The Lakers just went through two.. whole... seasons... of missing the playoffs, and as I write this, there's talk of making Metta World Peace an assistant coach down the line. However, the current roster looks very promising with potential. Randle, Russell and Clarkson are definitely intriguing talents and Hibbert potentially gives them a competitive frontcourt. Coach Byron Scott is going to somehow fuck this up though and Kobe probably will cockblock any youth movement on his way to getting his. In Philly, it's close to the point where we can start actually judging the Sam Hinkie tanking experiment. Their playoff chances are slim, but they have a stockpile of picks and some promising big men on the roster. New York is the perennial tabloid team. Just in the offseason alone, Coach Fish has decided to employ Phil's triangle offense in his love life. On the bright side, Carmelo is going to be held publically accountable for his defense and Porzingis will be the best Latvian prospect since the great Andris Biedrins.

The Kings aka the league's favorite dysfunctional team are the must watch tv of sideshows this season. Why we love Boogie Cousins.Here,here, here, here and here. The rest of Kings management seems dead set on pushing his buttons. Fire the one coach he's decided to trust. Check. Hire a coach who really doesn't want to coach you but now is forced to toe the company line. Double check. Hire Vlade Divac and Peja Stojakavic as your front office staff...triple check. Sign Rajon Rondo to point guard your team..quadruple check. The rest of the NBA awaits what boneheaded move Vivek will implement next.

References provided by /r/nba poster, icarus_adam
Trophy images

Enjoy!
-MetalFearSolid and Gully State

Fjordson

What an awesome OT!

It's a shame sports can't go in off-topic so we could get more people in here, but whatever. Bring on the season!

Pachimari

This will be the first time I'll follow the NBA. I have no idea how the league is structured and how it all works. I only know that there's an East and West division?

And is there a NBA app where I can follow the fixtures, table and teams and maybe get notifications when the games start? Kind of like the Forza app for football.

[edit]
When I were a kid, I always had LA Lakers as my favorites for whatever reason. It was probably the color of the jerseys and I were intending to cheer on them again. But reading up a little, I see the team is the most valuable franchise in the NBA, which makes me feel kind of bad, because I'm already a long-time Real Madrid fan in football. Then again, I love that they were founded in 1947 - the year of my fathers birth.

I posted this in the other thread but I might as well say it here. Most images have links so click away. Please click on the banner (it's not anything bad) first to enjoy the soothing tones of John Tesh while browsing this thread to get you in the mood for the NBA.

This will be the first time I'll follow the NBA. I have no idea how the league is structured and how it all works. I only know that there's an East and West division?

And is there a NBA app where I can follow the fixtures, table and teams and maybe get notifications when the games start? Kind of like the Forza app for football.

[edit]
When I were a kid, I always had LA Lakers as my favorites for whatever reason. It was probably the color of the jerseys and I were intending to cheer on them again. But reading up a little, I see the team is the most valuable franchise in the NBA, which makes me feel kind of bad, because I'm already a long-time Real Madrid fan in football. Then again, I love that they were founded in 1947 - the year of my fathers birth.

There are 2 Conferences (East/West )and within those two conferences, there are three divisions each (mostly inconsequential but there for game scheduling purposes and tiebreakers)

There's an official NBA App for schedules.

No shame cheering for the Lakers. They currently aren't very good but will probably be entertaining to watch.

Cheebo

Banned
FUCK YEAH! HERE WE GO!!!

GOOOO LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Rooting for the draft lottery announcement already? ;)

The east will continue to be the LeBron show. I am curious to see if OKC can finally stay healthy and put up a challenge to GSW more than anything this year. The west playoffs will be incredible.

Cheebo

Banned

[edit]
I am a fan of the Pistons since I am from the area and my dads favorite team as I grew up but if I was getting in fresh I would pick one of the younger up and coming teams. It's always fun to watch a young team rise to the top. The New Orleans Pelicans or the Utah Jazz would be great teams for a new fan.

Ben Simmons looks legit though.

I admit it, I haven't been paying attention to the prospects in the draft quite yet. But yeah, tanking admittedly isn't a bad idea at all. As much as I wouldn't mind at helping out the 7e6rs (because I admire that franchise more than any other franchise in NBA history), I want our pick for sure.

What I hope happens is that the players get proper development but don't win at the end, thus giving them tons of experience but also giving us a high draft pick. Win win!

El Topo

Tell me, oh wise NBA GAF: Are the Mavs going to tank to protect their draft pick, or are they going to desperately try not to suck in an attempt to reach playoffs?

Bread

Banned
Aren't you a Florida guy? ;P
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................i will murder you

Tell me, oh wise NBA GAF: Are the Mavs going to tank to protect their draft pick, or are they going to desperately try not to suck in an attempt to reach playoffs?

Didn't you hear? This is year is the comeback of Deron Williams. Either Carlislie ruins another PG, or allows one to strive.

At least you guys have Parsons and Matthews.

El Topo

Didn't you hear? This is year is the comeback of Deron Williams. Either Carlislie ruins another PG, or allows one to strive.

At least you guys have Parsons and Matthews.

I know we're going to suck, I'd just like to get an educated opinion on the level of suckage. Like, should I expect something akin to last year's Lakers?

bucks in the playoffs? nahhhhhh

monroe, alphabet, mcw middleton and parker? Bad interior defense and only one shooter in the lineup. Turrible spacing

Bosh coming back with dragon, wade with his 20mpg and ref baiting, winslow with his ummm basketballing skills, will deng finish the season in one piece, spo being the goat coach, goatsides coming out season... Im hyped, Brehs.

Edit : fuck Mario Chalmers

Bread

Banned
bucks in the playoffs? nahhhhhh

monroe, alphabet, mcw middleton and parker? Bad interior defense and only one shooter in the lineup. Turrible spacing
they made it to the playoffs without parker and monroe, you think they'll be worse this year with those additions?

Top Bottom