• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Really curious what the new Lakers regime will do if they are able to keep their draft pick. A top 3 pick in a loaded draft all of a sudden makes them players in the Paul Georgr/Jimmy Butler talks, but for some reason I get the feeling Lonzo Ball has the kind of game Magic creams over.

I would take Lonzo Ball over either of those guys in a heartbeat. I am fully committed to a rebuild at this point, not a second tier player like Butler or PG that might not get you over the top.

He's basically near guaranteed to go there. Also seems like Bogut is going to go there too.

Basically, the Cavs managed to get Kyle Korver, Deron Williams, Derrick Williams (who has been playing well, with Lebron, cause Lebron does that with his teammates), and Andrew Bogut, for the price of a 1st and Mike Dunleavy Jr.

David Griffin has done an amazing job...

Also, Korver has been shooting 52.3% on 5.6 3s a game since joining the Cavs. This takes into account his rough starting period, when he was just getting used to the team.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/korveky01.html
Managed? Have any of these guys been confirmed yet?

No practice, no shootaround, 7 three's.

Oh, and the entire bench scored a ton. Bad bench, I know.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Houston-Rockets/10/depth-charts

Remember when Lin, James Anderson, Carlos Delfino, Terrence Jones, Aaron Brooks, and Greg Smith was our bench?

Remember when Lin, Troy Daniels, Terrence Jones, Omri Casspi was our bench?

Remember when Jason Terry/Pablo Prigioni, Nick Johnson (?), Corey Brewer, Josh Smith, Clint Capela, D-MO, and Joey Dorsey was our bench?

And last year, when Terry, Brewer, KJ, Beasley (who was decent for us), Josh Smith, and Capela was our bench?

Now it's Beverley (rotating), Lou, Gordon, Dekker, and Harrell or Nene. God damn.

gutshot

At this point, I'd be surprised if they don't shut Embiid down for the rest of the year too. What's the point of bringing him back and risking him fucking up his knee even worse? Just go full tank, hope Okafor shines so you can get some value out of him around the draft and then go into next season with a fully healthy Embiid, Simmons and Ball/Fultz.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't get it. Surely no one expected him to play this year from the start?

there were pretty good signs of him being able to start after the all star break......so more problems showed up.

At this point, I'd be surprised if they don't shut Embiid down for the rest of the year too. What's the point of bringing him back and risking him fucking up his knee even worse? Just go full tank, hope Okafor shines so you can get some value out of him around the draft and then go into next season with a fully healthy Embiid, Simmons and Ball/Fultz.

This is what they should do.....its obvious as hell Emiid can play.....Okafor needs to increase stock for a trade move over the summer

gutshot

I don't get it. Surely no one expected him to play this year from the start?

He was originally supposed to return in Jan. Then that got pushed back to immediately after the All-Star break. Now they've found that the bone still hasn't fully healed, so they are keeping him out the rest of the year. Sucks for people like me who were excited to see him play, but making sure he is 100% is obviously the right decision.

Gigglepoo

I have a trade question: If the Celtics had gotten Bulter for a 1st-overall-protected Brooklyn pick, and Brooklyn did win the lottery, what would the Bulls get? Usually, protected picks are from the team that's actually trading (like the Celtics would have given up their own pick) so if it doesn't convey it gets pushed to the next year with less strict protections. But that can't really work in this situation, right?

EDIT -- The Ringer had the worst hypothetical trade ever: Spurs get Giannis, the Bucks get C.J. Miles, the Pacers get LaMarcus Aldridge and Gary Harris, and the Nuggets get Paul George.

Bread

Banned
Has Pierce done the whole farewell tour thing? I haven't paid attention to Clippers games outside of the one in Boston where obviously he'd get that kind of treatment.

He's just a guy sitting on the bench this year for the most part.

Mortemis

Banned
I have a trade question: If the Celtics had gotten Bulter for a 1st-overall-protected Brooklyn pick, and Brooklyn did win the lottery, what would the Bulls get? Usually, protected picks are from the team that's actually trading (like the Celtics would have given up their own pick) so if it doesn't convey it gets pushed to the next year with less strict protections. But that can't really work in this situation, right?

Are you talking about the 2017 Brooklyn pick? That one is a swap with the nets, and 2018 is unprotected. No protections for Brooklyn winning the lottery.

If you asking if the celtics put protections on it, I don't think they can do that to picks hat aren't theirs, not sure though.

Technically this year's pick is a pick swap between Brooklyn and Boston to get around the Stephian rule. I'm not sure they could put protections on it, but it seems complicated.

Sixers basically might have the equivalent of a top 3 pick this year.

Chances at a top 3 pick:
1st: 0.643
2nd: 0.558
3rd: 0.469
4th: 0.378
5th: 0.292

Currently, the Sixers have the 5th worst record in the NBA. Kings are at 12th worst record right now.

The 5th and 12th pick, gives the Sixers a 0.314538 shot at a top 3 pick, basically a 4.33 pick.

538 predicts the following records for teams:
Nets - 14-68
Suns - 27-55
Lakers - 27-55
Magic - 30-55
Sixers - 31-51
Timberwolves - 31-51
Pelicans - 32-50
Knicks- 32-50
Mavs - 34-48
Hornets - 35-47
Kings - 36-46
Blazers - 37-45
Bucks - 37-45
Heat- 38-44
Pistons, Pacers, and Bulls - 40-42

2/3 of the last group and Denver get into the playoffs.

If this were to end up happening, Sixers average their probability with the Timberwolves, having a 5.5 pick essentially, and Kings have 11th pick.

That gives them an overall probability of 0.2797855 at getting a top 3 pick, just slightly less than the 5th pick straight up would give them.

Of course, the 538 predicted list can't account for the trades that have happened and if a franchise has decided to tank or make a playoff push at this point.

Of the non-playoff teams:
- Nets can't be caught
- Suns are probably tanking, but Bledsoe and Booker might accidently win them games
- Lakers are full on tanking
- Magic are full on tanking
- Sixers are probably full on tanking, although they might win some with their roster

I'd wager to say that these 6 can't be caught by Sacramento, in any situation, and only the Mavs or a Timberwolves team that implodes/is really unlucky might even threaten to break into this group.

Of the remaining non-playoff teams:
- Blazers, Pelicans, Nuggets, and Bucks all seem like sure bets for a playoff push, will end up with better records than the Kings.

That pushes the Kings up to a, in my opinion, in the worst-case scenario, 10th worst record.

- Timberwolves - great star players who can go off in a game and win games, likely making playoff push
- Hornets - ????. Decent roster, not sure where they are going, and they have an all-star that probably wants playoffs but they also have 0 shot at it.
- Mavs - obviosuly tanking, by discussion about wanting to trade for picks. But their roster and coach are good about getting wins they don't deserve. Also had one of (if not) the toughest schedules in the NBA earlier in the season, which makes it seem likely that they have an easier schedule now. But they're also in the Southbest division.
- Knicks - ???? Who even knows.
- Heat - roster that has been on a streak recently, in sight of playoffs, enjoyed that win streak. Really good coach. But they should tank.

My guess is that the Hornets, Heat very likely have a better record. I think the Timberwolves end up with a better record too, especially because they should reasonably be making a playoff push right around now (a 14 year drought also would push them towards this).

Mavs and Knicks are the main wild cars. Let's say a 50/50 on Knicks vs Kings, and the Mavs I just don't know. At best though, Kings CAN get to 6th worst record.

Ok, so the likely combinations' chances at a top 3 pick (accounting for double-counts):
- Sixers at 5, Kings at 10: 0.328219
- Sixers at 4, Kings at 10: 0.412925
- Sixers at 5, Kings at 8: 0.382162
- Sixers at 4, Kings at 8: 0.465323
- Sixers at 5, Kings at 7: 0.468257
- Sixers at 4, Kings at 7: 0.492995
- Sixers at 5, Kings at 6: 0.485902
- Sixers at 4, Kings at 6: 0.565784

Again, the top 5 picks' chances at a top 3 pick:
1st: 0.643
2nd: 0.558
3rd: 0.469
4th: 0.378
5th: 0.292

At worst, they have the 5th pick, and at best, they have a better shot than the 2nd worst record. The 4/5 + 7/8 combos seem the most likely, in my opinion, so the Sixers essentially seem to have around a 3rd pick in this draft.

Their best case scenario is the 4+6 combo landing the 1st pick and the Lakers getting the 4th pick from the 3rd worst record (they have a shot at 2nd worst, if the next few weeks go right for the Lakers)

In that case, the chances of a 1st and 4th pick would be:
((0.199 + 0.063) - (0.199 * 0.063)) * (0.226)) = 0.039437678, or a 3.94% shot. Not bad.

No, I will not calculate the probability of the 1st and 4th pick for every single listed combination, while accounting for the Lakers either having the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the league.

Gigglepoo

Technically this year's pick is a pick swap between Brooklyn and Boston to get around the Stephian rule. I'm not sure they could put protections on it, but it seems complicated.

On today's Lowe Post podcast, they're talking about whether or not Boston offered a protected or unprotected version of this year's Brooklyn pick for Butler. I just don't understand how the former would work. Maybe they could protect this year's and then give Chicago an unprotected Brooklyn pick next year?

I hope Magic Johnson is learning how this stuff works. Wouldn't want another Vlade "What's the Stretch Provision" Divac situation.

They can put protections on it. Looks at the Bulls, Kings, Sixers pick relationship

2016_pick.0.jpg

2017_pick.0.jpg

2018_pick.0.jpg

2019_pick.0.jpg

Also, a moment of silence for the Bulls' rights to that first round pick:
At the end of June 2011, right before NBA franchise owners locked out the players, the Kings traded Omri Casspi and a protected first-round pick to the Cavaliers for J.J. Hickson. This was a bad trade from the jump, but there was a tiny silver lining baked into the pick protections. Those pick protections were:

Top 14 in 2012
Top 13 in 2013
Top 12 in 2014
Top 10 in 2015
Top 10 in 2016
Top 10 in 2017

OTHERWISE 2017 second-round pick
J.J. Hickson, the original reason for trading the pick, was waived by the Kings after 35 games.
In 2014, the Kings signed Casspi as a free agent, meaning algebraically they traded the still-outstanding pick for nothing. On the bright side, the Kings will now be able to trade Casspi and a protected future first to Denver for J.J. Hickson if they choose.
Approaching the 2014 trade deadline, the desperate Cavaliers threw the Kings' protected pick to Chicago along with the Empty Shell of Andrew Bynum, a couple of second-round picks and a conditional pick swap for Luol Deng. Bulls fans have forever since been rooting for the Kings to be mediocre instead of the typical atrocious so that the pick finally moves. Which brings us to ...

EDIT: WAIT, Philly get the Kings' 2018 pick if they land 11-30?

how in the world did the Kings put themselves in that chaotic pick situation lol

Tbf, that Bulls claim to the Kings pick might just be sadder. That's going to be 6 straight years it doesn't convey.

Looking into it, the Kings 2018 pick is totally safe, so either that flowchart is wrong or they got their 11-30 2018 pick back

ttGgde1.png

Rockets 2011 vs 2017

https://streamable.com/eqvnc

I've always thought they should never let the game clock run on made baskets, but it's the first time I've ever seen a player use it to his advantage. This is some shit I expect Chris Paul to do, not Ty Lawson.

Harden does this ALL the time. He generally likes taking his time, walking, setting up a half court offense, although recently he's been using full-court passes on the fast break more.

TTG

Harden does this ALL the time. He generally likes taking his time, walking, setting up a half court offense, although recently he's been using full-court passes on the fast break more.

He does what a lot of point guards do, preserves time on the shot clock, that's not what was happening there. Game clock doesn't stop on made baskets unless there's 2 minutes or less left in a quarter, Ty Lawson was running the game clock down.

plus

What happened to Porzingis?

Sprained ankle at the end of the first half yesterday, he's in a walking boot right now. idk if he's going to be playing this week but the knicks should definitely be sitting him out to help the tank and to ensure that he's healthy

He does what a lot of point guards do, preserves time on the shot clock, that's not what was happening there. Game clock doesn't stop on made baskets unless there's 2 minutes or less left in a quarter, Ty Lawson was running the game clock down.

Seems like a good strategy. Keep doing it until someone stops you (including the league office via a rule change).

The amazing thing to me is even the 8 second count to get it across the midline is also suspended there.

how in the world did the Kings put themselves in that chaotic pick situation lol

They wanted to free up money to sign Wes Matthews (who didn't sign with them afterall) even though they could have just used the stretch provision to accomplish the same thing without needing to trade a draft pick, expect Vlade Divac, their president and general manager, apparently was not aware that the stretch provision existed.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Draymond trying so hard to bring back old school basketball. Hopefully he can take a Laimbeer type of foul

Draymond wouldn't survive in old school basketball. People actually fought back. All those nut shots and kicks somebody would've checked him back hard

Fjordson

why? they're entertainment, stop taking anything they say seriously
Oh I don't, there's nothing of value said on TNT, but like I said yesterday I just don't think it's too much to ask for better coverage. There's no reason basketball has to set the bar so low with how the sport is covered and discussed.

And this Shaq thing is getting super weird. I mean the guy is on twitter looking to fight current players. And not even like some legend or big star but Javale fuckin' McGee. Every time I think these dudes can't get any dumber they manage to surprise me.

I get it, no one else cares and they get super high ratings because they're entertaining, but I'll keep bitching because they ain't shit.

phanphare

Banned
Oh I don't, there's nothing of value said on TNT, but like I said yesterday I just don't think it's too much to ask for better coverage. There's no reason basketball has to set the bar so low with how the sport is covered and discussed.

And this Shaq thing is getting super weird. I mean the guy is on twitter looking to fight current players. And not even like some legend or big star but Javale fuckin' McGee. Every time I think these dudes can't get any dumber they manage to surprise me.

I get it, no one else cares and they get super high ratings because they're entertaining, but I'll keep bitching because they ain't shit.

on the one hand I totally agree with you

and on the other I'm part of the problem because I always watch them to see what kind of dumb shit they'll say

why? they're entertainment, stop taking anything they say seriously

I normally agree, but the shit with JaVale has gone too far. When it became apparent that it was not all in fun and really bothered him, they should have been courteous and dropped it, instead it developed into something mean spirited and personal and now you have essentially a member of the media threatening to beat up a player over Twitter. Adam Silver might want to get a hold of TNT and ask them to tell Shaq to chill the fuck out.

Fjordson

on the one hand I totally agree with you

and on the other I'm part of the problem because I always watch them to see what kind of dumb shit they'll say
I'm not getting on anyone for watching them. It is entertaining, I just think they can do better. And some of their antics go a little far imo. Like is this really necessary?

SHAQ ✔ @SHAQ
@JaValeMcGee34 don't be acting like u a g I'll smack the s**t out yo bum ass u da one that be looking stupid with your dumb ass #bumass

Turner Sports operates NBA TV, hosts the all-star game and shit. Is this really a good look for them? And again, over Javale McGee lmao. It's all just really silly.

Top Bottom