• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Sandfox

I'm not getting on anyone for watching them. It is entertaining, I just think they can do better. And some of their antics go a little far imo. Like is this really necessary?

SHAQ ✔ @SHAQ
@JaValeMcGee34 don't be acting like u a g I'll smack the s**t out yo bum ass u da one that be looking stupid with your dumb ass #bumass

Turner Sports operates NBA TV, hosts the all-star game and shit. Is this really a good look for them? And again, over Javale McGee lmao. It's all just really silly.
Shaq and Chuck are their main draws so TNT isn't going to find anyone better in that regard. They will probably stop messing with McGee now though.

Personally I like how TNT knows what they are and play up the entertainment aspect over actually basketball analysis. It;s better than places like ESPN who play it straight with a bunch of people who are terrible and/or don't really understand basketball. and say ignorant trash.

Fjordson

Shaq and Chuck are their main draws so TNT isn't going to find anyone better in that regard. They will probably stop messing with McGee now though.

Personally I like how TNT knows what they are and play up the entertainment aspect over actually basketball analysis. It;s better than places like ESPN who play it straight with a bunch of people who are terrible and/or don't really understand basketball. and say ignorant trash.
Even if they mess with him on the show that's one thing, but Shaq threatening players on twitter, that's bizarre.

SHAQVerified account‏@SHAQ 24m24 minutes ago
More
@KDTrey5 I understand u sticking up for your teammate that's cool but your boy @JaValeMcGee34 is still a bum, he started it I'm a finish it

He's gonna finish it? tf does this mean? Should the Dubs start looking for a center on the buyout market? RIP Javale?

ttGgde1.png

Rockets 2011 vs 2017

Harden does this ALL the time. He generally likes taking his time, walking, setting up a half court offense, although recently he's been using full-court passes on the fast break more.

MikeDWhat.gif

I normally agree, but the shit with JaVale has gone too far. When it became apparent that it was not all in fun and really bothered him, they should have been courteous and dropped it, instead it developed into something mean spirited and personal and now you have essentially a member of the media threatening to beat up a player over Twitter. Adam Silver might want to get a hold of TNT and ask them to tell Shaq to chill the fuck out.

I agree, also the whole Dr.Strange thing was totally cringe to and seemed way too much.

Yeah to speak on something that's actually basketball, Rockets look scary. Between last season and now Morey's done a great job.

I think I've reached a conclusion on the Rockets' chances this year. Rockets have the variance and firepower to keep up with the Warriors, maybe even outshoot them, on their best night. I think Spurs, and maybe even the Grizzlies, are as or more likely to take the Warriors to 6 games, but in the West, I give the Rockets the best chance at an actual upset.

The thing about such an upset is that I can totally see a 7 game upset where the Warriors outscore us by 30 in every loss and lose by 1-6 in every win. The Rockets are going to need at least 3 of Harden, Lou, Anderson, Gordon, Beverley, Ariza, or Dekker to be completely ON FIRE (so like 5+ 3s), for every win, plus one of Capela/Harrell/Nene to have an above average game.

At their worst the Rockets will crash and burn against the Dubs, at their best they can win it.

It's going to be such an amazing series, if it ends up happening.

Rockets-Spurs is probably more guaranteed (if the Grizzlies would like to get the hell out of the 6th seed!), and that would be crazy fun too. Rockets would be facing off against the Spurs in the playoffs for the 3rd time somehow, plus you have Harden, who always goes off against the Spurs, being guarded by Kawhi.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Inside the NBA is one of the few sports shows left worth watching. None of this will change that in my mind.

That being said, I'm enjoying people finally seeing how petty Shaq is. I feel like he was able to skate by on his goofy personality for way too long. I'll never get THA GOD Andrew Bynum schooling him as a rookie on a dunk then Shaq getting all salty and pushing him on the way back down the court.

(All of that comes from both a huge Lakers and Shaq fan)

phanphare

Banned
I'm not getting on anyone for watching them. It is entertaining, I just think they can do better. And some of their antics go a little far imo. Like is this really necessary?

SHAQ ✔ @SHAQ
@JaValeMcGee34 don't be acting like u a g I'll smack the s**t out yo bum ass u da one that be looking stupid with your dumb ass #bumass

Turner Sports operates NBA TV, hosts the all-star game and shit. Is this really a good look for them? And again, over Javale McGee lmao. It's all just really silly.

ok yeah that shit is beyond stupid

I haven't seen this twitter beef

fucking twitter man, what is it about that platform that makes people morons?

shaq's just mad because he knows in his heart of hearts that kobe will always be better

Fjordson

I think I've reached a conclusion on the Rockets' chances this year. Rockets have the variance and firepower to keep up with the Warriors, maybe even outshoot them, on their best night. I think Spurs, and maybe even the Grizzlies, are as or more likely to take the Warriors to 6 games, but in the West, I give the Rockets the best chance at an actual upset.

The thing about such an upset is that I can totally see a 7 game upset where the Warriors outscore us by 30 in every loss and lose by 1-6 in every win. The Rockets are going to need at least 3 of Harden, Lou, Anderson, Gordon, Beverley, Ariza, or Dekker to be completely ON FIRE (so like 5+ 3s), for every win, plus one of Capela/Harrell/Nene to have an above average game.

At their worst the Rockets will crash and burn against the Dubs, at their best they can win it.

It's going to be such an amazing series, if it ends up happening.

Rockets-Spurs is probably more guaranteed (if the Grizzlies would like to get the hell out of the 6th seed!), and that would be crazy fun too. Rockets would be facing off against the Spurs in the playoffs for the 3rd time somehow, plus you have Harden, who always goes off against the Spurs, being guarded by Kawhi.
I think the Rockets will be the toughest opponent for the Dubs for sure. One of the best shooting teams we've seen in years.

He's obviously not their best player, but I actually think Ryan Anderson was a sneaky great pickup for Houston. When Houston won in Oakland in December or whenever it was one thing that hurt the Dubs is Ryan Anderson pulling Draymond away from the hoop and help defense. And it's not even like right at the 3 point line, Ryno's willing to launch a few feet behind the line lol. It's really tough to defend.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I respect Durant for sticking up for his teammate, but he looks like a fool saying Shaq had no skill

He should have said Dream made him look like he had no skills :D

spyder_ur

Man with a little refinement of his defense and ball handling and a couple summers shooting jumpers, Jaylen is going to be so good. His instincts going to the hoop are really special.

Marz

Shaq has always been kind of petty but honestly Javale McGee is a pretty terrible player who has skated by on nothing but height and athleticism while never developing any kind of actual offensive game and having one of the worst basketball IQ's I've ever seen.

And McGee called Shaq a "coon" which is a pretty big insult to call someone when all their doing is poking fun of your dumbass mistakes on the court. You don't say that kind of stuff to another grown man I dont care who you are so of course Shaq is going to take offense to that.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Chandler Parsons is a mistake. He is nothing but trash.

Became trash the moment he left Houston for Mark Cuban. Bball God's punished his game & health. Sorry Grizz fans.

Fucker is still rich though, so he stays winning for life.

Was thinking about trades involving the Brooklyn pick and possibly the Lakers pick if they keep it for stars like Butler or George, and what the odds are that you draft a guy as good as them, so since I was bored at work today I decided to tally up the top 3 of the last 10 drafts (not counting 2016 since it seems too early to really get a read on them) and split the 30 players up into Franchise cornerstone types, All Stars/Borderline Franchise guys, Solid starers and total busts. The breakdown for me was

Franchise (11)- KAT, Wiggins (on the fence on him a little), Embiid, AD, Kyrie, John Wall, Blake Griffin, Harden, Rose, Durant, LMA

All Star/Borderline (3)-Jabari Parker, Bradley Beal, Al Horford

Solid Starters (9)-D'Angelo Russell, Okafor, Oladipo, Otto Porter, MKG, Kanter, Evan Turner, Favors, OJ Mayo

Total busts (7)-Bennet, Derrick Williams, Thabeet, Beasley, Oden, Bargnani, Morrison

Obviously not scientific but I was sort of surprised at the amount of franchise type guys. About 1/3. You balance that risk with the odds that if you hit on one of those guys, you get him super cheap and under team control as opposed to a PG or Butler.

IT got rightfully mad as fuck there, that foul by Carroll was not cool. If that was Lebron on the receiving end of that I'd fully expect Carroll to be suspended the rest of the season.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Was thinking about trades involving the Brooklyn pick and possibly the Lakers pick if they keep it for stars like Butler or George, and what the odds are that you draft a guy as good as them, so since I was bored at work today I decided to tally up the top 3 of the last 10 drafts (not counting 2016 since it seems too early to really get a read on them) and split the 30 players up into Franchise cornerstone types, All Stars/Borderline Franchise guys, Solid starers and total busts. The breakdown for me was

Franchise (11)- KAT, Wiggins (on the fence on him a little), Embiid, AD, Kyrie, John Wall, Blake Griffin, Harden, Rose, Durant, LMA

All Star/Borderline (3)-Jabari Parker, Bradley Beal, Al Horford

Solid Starters (9)-D'Angelo Russell, Okafor, Oladipo, Otto Porter, MKG, Kanter, Evan Turner, Favors, OJ Mayo

Total busts (7)-Bennet, Derrick Williams, Thabeet, Beasley, Oden, Bargnani, Morrison

Obviously not scientific but I was sort of surprised at the amount of franchise type guys. About 1/3. You balance that risk with the odds that if you hit on one of those guys, you get him super cheap and under team control as opposed to a PG or Butler.

Also have to factor in pre draft hype which people were down on the bennett draft and Williams was never seen as a superstar on the rise. This draft is loaded at the top and they're guaranteed one of those top spots. Odds are they can get something at least decent out of it.

Top Bottom