• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

I get you guys are high on D'Angelo but I feel like Lakers nation are split on him especially if you don't see his ceiling being anywhere near elite guards in the West.

I mention that MCW fact because people turned on MCW fast, people hyped and dismissed him.
This could be the same for D'Angelo.
We will know what the Lakers think this draft.

I get you guys are high on D'Angelo but I feel like Lakers nation are split on him especially if you don't see his ceiling being anywhere near elite guards in the West.

I mention that MCW fact because people turned on MCW fast, people hyped and dismissed him.

I don't remember anyone being hyped for MCW. He had a fairly decent rookie year, mostly in a shitty year for rookies, and when the Sixers turned around and traded him, nobody batted an eye. Very few people thought "Man the Sixers are crazy!" except maybe for the SAS/Wilbon types.

I'm high on D'Angelo, not because I think he's going to be the next CP3 or anything like that. There is a space in between "Future Hall of Famer" and "Total and Complete Bust" where a guy can still be an effective and valuable player. I think people tend to lose sight of this when evaluating young players. Those no doubt about it generational type talents like LeBron or Duncan come along every decade or so. For everyone else, the road to developing into a great player is a rocky one. I get the feeling all of the people beating the "2017 BEST DRAFT SINCE 03!" drum are going to be in for a rude awakening if 3 months into the season Lonzo Ball is averaging 11/5 or Markelle Fultz is shooting sub40% or something.

Sandfox

The thing about MCW is that pretty much everyone knew that his stats were inflated.

Russell has been getting dismissed since draft night and I see the most ridiculous expectations and comparisons for him around the internet even from Lakers fans. A lot of people hold a be good enough to be the savior of the franchise or you're a bust mentality with him.

I don't remember anyone being hyped for MCW. He had a fairly decent rookie year, mostly in a shitty year for rookies, and when the Sixers turned around and traded him, nobody batted an eye. Very few people thought "Man the Sixers are crazy!" except maybe for the SAS/Wilbon types.

I'm high on D'Angelo, not because I think he's going to be the next CP3 or anything like that. There is a space in between "Future Hall of Famer" and "Total and Complete Bust" where a guy can still be an effective and valuable player. I think people tend to lose sight of this when evaluating young players. Those no doubt about it generational type talents like LeBron or Duncan come along every decade or so. For everyone else, the road to developing into a great player is a rocky one. I get the feeling all of the people beating the "2017 BEST DRAFT SINCE 03!" drum are going to be in for a rude awakening if 3 months into the season Lonzo Ball is averaging 11/5 or Markelle Fultz is shooting sub40% or something.
Lonzo is going to struggle early on in his career.

The thing about MCW is that pretty much everyone knew that his stats were inflated.

Russell has been getting dismissed since draft night and I see the most ridiculous expectations and comparisons for him around the internet even from Lakers fans. A lot of people hold a be good enough to be the savior of the franchise or you're a bust mentality with him.

Lonzo is going to struggle early on in his career.

For he and Fultz, the biggest question mark is if they can get their own offense and shot off in an efficient manner against NBA defenses. Fultz looks like a legit scorer, but he's not an explosive, Westbrook type athlete. He finishes under the rim a lot. That doesn't mean he can't score, but it's not a sure thing. For Lonzo if his wonky shot or lack of explosiveness means he can't score at the next level, he's basically Ricky Rubio (and not the good Rubio of the last 25 games, but the bad Rubio of the last 6 years) without the defense. Neither are sure things IMO.

Sandfox

For he and Fultz, the biggest question mark is if they can get their own offense and shot off in an efficient manner against NBA defenses. Fultz looks like a legit scorer, but he's not an explosive, Westbrook type athlete. He finishes under the rim a lot. That doesn't mean he can't score, but it's not a sure thing. For Lonzo if his wonky shot or lack of explosiveness means he can't score at the next level, he's basically Ricky Rubio (and not the good Rubio of the last 25 games, but the bad Rubio of the last 6 years) without the defense. Neither are sure things IMO.

Lonzo can't run a pick and roll and I question his ability to create for himself coming in.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Cavs down by 24pts in the half, looks like Boston Celtics gonna take the #1 seed in the east.

* Hey Ninja, what do you think about the kid De'Aaron Fox from Kentucky? That kid is impressive the last 2 games. Do you think he's gonna be the top 5 pick this year.

Cavs down by 24pts in the half, looks like Boston Celtics gonna take the #1 seed in the east.

* Hey Ninja, what do you think about the kid De'Aaron Fox from Kentucky? That kid is impressive the last 2 games. Do you think he's gonna be the top 5 pick this year.

Crazy athlete and passer, and I think he can be a lockdown defender, but PGs that can't shoot in 2017 scare me. Too easy for good defensive teams to gameplan around them. Depends on who gets in to the top 5. I could see Sac taking him if they sneak into the top 5. Philly I think takes Monk over him.

Cre8

Crazy athlete and passer, and I think he can be a lockdown defender, but PGs that can't shoot in 2017 scare me. Too easy for good defensive teams to gameplan around them. Depends on who gets in to the top 5. I could see Sac taking him if they sneak into the top 5. Philly I think takes Monk over him.

Agree, he needs to shoot better from the perimeter, but one thing this kid got is heart and speed. He can take the ball to the ring in a flash.

Line_HTX

Spurs putting on a 20+ clinic.

Cavs are such a Pile of Poo.

*Bounces basketball off of rim and onto BG's forehead like in Fresh Prince

Just got home and holy shit the Cavs game. How bad is it? Is it "Lebron is absolutely going to threaten to leave again" bad?

He doesn't suck and his stats at his age compare favorably with the better point guards in the league. Dude has been averaging 22-5-3-2 since the all-star break when he started getting normal minutes, but people treat him like he averages 5 ppg, including Laker fans.

I guess I was a bit harsh on him, but I haven't watched him many times and the times I did watch he looked very bad. It's possible he's inconsistent being so young and I just watched some bad nights, but he looked ungodly awful especially on defense. It's possible he improves though.

Dynomutt

Will Boston keep Homecourt? WIll Cleveland claw back? Both teams have 5 home game left. Schedules are actually similar maybe in favor to Boston since Chicago plays well at home. That game may be a challenge for Cleveland. Could Washington catch Cleveland?

CLEVELAND

Thu, Mar 30
@
Chicago

Fri, Mar 31
vs
Philadelphia

Sun, Apr 2
vs
Indiana

Tue, Apr 4
vs
Orlando

Wed, Apr 5
@
Boston

Fri, Apr 7
vs
Atlanta

Sun, Apr 9
@
Atlanta

Mon, Apr 10
@
Miami

Wed, Apr 12
vs
Toronto

BOSTON

Wed, Mar 29
vs
Milwaukee

Fri, Mar 31
vs
Orlando

Sun, Apr 2
@
NY Knicks

Wed, Apr 5
vs
Cleveland

Thu, Apr 6
@
Atlanta

Sat, Apr 8
@
Charlotte

Mon, Apr 10
vs
Brooklyn

Wed, Apr 12
vs
Milwaukee

East is gonna be fun this year!

Chase17

Celts have a pretty good chance at the one seed despite probably only being the fourth best team in the conference.

The power of Zeller!

Fjordson

Goddamn. Cavs are shit lately. Thanks for nothing Cleveland.

Cavs defense is trash tier for at least the last 10 or so games. I don't know whats going on there, but its TERRIBLE.
Was looking up defensive rankings over the past month earlier and the Cavs came in at #30. Dead last in the entire league.

Cre8

Circle my calendar for that April 5th game between Cavs and Celtics. Adam Silver better warn both teams not to rest anybody...

spyder_ur

3 years ago the Celtics won 25 games. Now you are obligated to refer to them as the East-leading Boston Celtics.

Pretty damn impressive.

I don't necessarily expect to hold the Cavs off, but it should make next Wednesday a really interesting game. I don't think the Celts will lose until then.

Top Bottom